• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

W.H. Topgun - Connemara stallion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Is there a video of Morning Glory Ilyushin somewhere?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

Comment

I dont know if there is Gunsmoke frozen still available but he is one I would potentially go to with a TB mare. I loved the purebred filly we had by him. She was neither heavy or coarse (not drafty! in the least)--but had quality bone/substance and very nice gaits and was also very pretty/extremely well balanced. She has subsequently been exported to France with her owner.

I would also consider Ard Celtic Art for a TB cross--he is a very desirable size and my filly by him is a jumping machine (this is her jumping on her own!)--but with the most delightfully easy temperament. The sort a child could easily handle. She is every inch built to jump.

We are planning a TB cross using our own Stallion Wildwych Eclipse to our Pleasant Tap Daughter this season--Eclipse tends to add both quality bone and substance as well as very high ride ability (among other things!). His 5 yo son "Rocky" is currently the USEF/ACPS HOTY for partbreds in the eventing category. He was also selected for the USEA "Safe Harbor" award at the 2012 West Coast Young Event Horse Championships where he placed 4th Overall in a field of really big guns! The "Safe Harbor Award" is presented to the young horse who consistently exhibits the most graceful and rider friendly performance throughout the competition."

I am also still contemplating using my new TB colt (AP Indy Grandson--has an incredible temperament) over one of my Purebred Mares to attempt a more "Blood over Bone" cross. The mare Im considering is a both a Premium Mare with the ACPS and Special Premium with GOV/Weser Ems---she is a purebred Connemara with both excellent breed type and quality gaits (she also show jumps/events) and yes she has a lot of bone and substance. She is by Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire and out of Eastlands Glendearg. Mick is one I would also go to for a TB mare or his son Elphin Cronin (Cronin has a bunch of TB crosses!)

Last edited by goodpony; Jan. 14, 2013, 12:31 PM.
      Redbud Ranch
      Check us out on FB

Comment

My halfbred mare, Morning Glory's Belle Fille, is by Ilyushin's sire, Fiddler's Glory Boy (out of a TB mare).

I am very pleased with her as a performance horse.

Originally posted by MuskokaLakesConnemaras View Post
        I'm bringing a stallion up to Canada in the spring and standing him here. Morning Glorys Ilyushin. Grandson of Grange Finn Sparrow. You can find more info about him on my website...
        www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com

Cheers!
        Janet
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• Original Poster

I wouldn't go with frozen this year though... *If* I decide to breed her this year, it will have to be a very frugal choice; as inexpensive as possible and fresh so I can do my own repro work.

I *love* Ard Celtic Art! But alas, in the higher price range for me this year.

My mare is a hair under 16 h. She's big barreled and... Oh what the heck, I just love her.
          www.EquusMagnificus.ca
          Breeding & Sales
          Facebook | YouTube

Comment

Another stallion you might take a look at is Century Hills Aidan Zodiac he has had some very nice foals out of a variety of mares including some TB crosses I believe. Aedans sire is actually a full sibling to my mare above.

You are probably already aware of this but there may be some added expense to shipping semen across the border (from the US) due to the CEM outbreak back in 2006? I cant remember when that was!---but last I checked there were still restrictions in place.
            Redbud Ranch
            Check us out on FB

Comment

I really Like Aeden too....

Comment

OP you also might contact Drogheda Farm - I know he has a couple Con stallions and he does jumper breeding I believe. He has a full brother to GoodPony's Eclipse I believe.

Comment

Eclipse also has a son recently exported to Canada he is not likely available this season (he'll be two this year) but might be next year--and if you like color he is a stunning Golden Palomino Photo is of him as a yearling. He was bred by Windy Isles Farm out of their good imported mare Fairyhill Queen. He should be a very valuable asset to Canada with his pedigree.
                  Redbud Ranch
                  Check us out on FB

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the info goodpony.

Yes, I know of the CEM issue. Meh. But this is a good mare so if need be... I'll pay the little extra to handle the CEM stuff. As much as I'd try to keep the fees low, I won't settle for a lesser stallion to avoid the CEM issues.
                    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                    Breeding & Sales
                    Facebook | YouTube

Comment

I looked at that palomino! Thank goodness another Canadian bought him I will look to use him likely in the future!
                      Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Comment

Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                        Eclipse also has a son recently exported to Canada he is not likely available this season (he'll be two this year) but might be next year--and if you like color he is a stunning Golden Palomino Photo is of him as a yearling. He was bred by Windy Isles Farm out of their good imported mare Fairyhill Queen. He should be a very valuable asset to Canada with his pedigree.
                        Thanks for mentioning Jester I had wanted to keep him but he found a perfect match with his new owner. He'll be evented in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing how he does!
                        *The Quietman ~ Irish Approved Gr.1 Stallion
                        www.windyislesfarms.com
                        Like Us on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                          Do you know where he'll be standing?
                          www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                          Breeding & Sales
                          Facebook | YouTube

Comment

This is their website: http://jump4joy.ca--I don't think its been updated in a while (as I dont think he is on there yet) but it does have contact information for the owner. Very nice lady too. The colt should breed/produce very well as he is from excellent breeding lines. I believe she plans to cross him with some of her warmblood mares to produce a smaller sporthorse/pony types.
                            Redbud Ranch
                            Check us out on FB

Comment

Belleville area
                              Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Comment

I bred a tb mare to Gunsmoke. Lovely mare, coming 9, in Tx, evented to training and schooling prelim. She is actually now just coming on the market from what I understand. Usually 8's on her gaits in dressage.

I bred 2 half breds and one purebred to Top Gun. He does not move like a pony. I do think he does not have as athletic of a jump to him as Gunsmoke or Art. My trak x con crosses, of which one is 4 and the other 1, are stunning. My 4 year old has plenty of bone, but so does her mom. Suspension out the wazoo, scored an 80 at intro. Brave and aimed at eventing. The yearling colt is a special boy indeed.

The purebred filly is also 4, sold her to a dressage home in Indiana. Best moving, horse stride with suspension I have seen in a purebred for dressage. I think so far, I am getting better quality with the babies then the parents, which is what I had hoped for. So far, Top Gun has produced well for me.

Pics on my website of Top Gun and the young stock if you want to see his get.

I expect to see Top Gun out at training level eventing this winter.
                                Beth Davidson
                                Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
                                http://blackdogconnemara.com
                                visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Comment

EM - What about staying close to home and looking nearly in your own backyard? I think Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire is still being collected occasionally, and you really cannot top his temperament, or that of his offspring. I had the most lovely little halfbred gelding by him - this little horse would have slept on the foot of my bed and purred if he'd been allowed. He was super correct too, athletic, and just as lovely as anything. His only downfall was that he was little, just 14.3, but the other foals from his dam were small too, so we suspect the lack-of-height came from her side (Mick has thrown some good-sized half breds!).

I'll be trying for my own half bred this season, and have my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that it all works out!

Comment

Thanks for sharing the links/photos--was fun watching the video of your purebred filly. Your purebred mare Lucy (the mother) was just the sort of mare I was imagining would cross really well with this guy! Nice!
                                    Redbud Ranch
                                    Check us out on FB

Comment

• Original Poster

I am most interested in looking in my own backyard. Albeit, I'll admit to knowning nothing about the local stallions!

I'll search for this Maplehurst Micheal MacDaire...
                                      www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                                      Breeding & Sales
                                      Facebook | YouTube

Comment

http://www.elphinfarms.com/

Comment

And because I can never resist the chance to share pictures of my little guy...

Hunter pairs over an outside course
                                          In the hunter ring
                                          4'0" for the first time
                                          Playing at home
                                          Another from at home

Comment

Working...
                                          X