• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I saw something very disturbing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw something very disturbing!

I live in Ohio and am only 15 minutes from a horse slaughter auction in Sugarcreek Ohio. I know they have to go out of the us for slaughter now but there are still killers who transport them out of the US at this auction. Well I went to the back where all the horses were kept and there were three foals in a pen together. They were nothing but skin and bones, they had the long hair that horses get when they are starved, one on had a broken hip or something he couldn't even walk and both front legs were so deformed. It broke my heart that someone would take the time to transport those little guys to the auction house and put them through the stress of all of that instead of just having them put down! Another point....people should not breed if they can not handle the responsibilities and knowledge that it takes to raise horses!!! Sorry for the rant but I was sick all weekend about all the poor babies at that auction.

I don't think anyone here will argue with you on that. Amen.

The problem is not everyone cares, and the ones that don't care are likely not going to be trying to learn about SHB on internet BBs. These people think of horses as commodities that rank below their 4-wheeler and beer. Horses aren't pets to them, they probably aren't even as valuable as a cow to them b/c a cow produces an immediate demand for milk and/or meat. They breed hundreds upon hundreds of grade foals and ship them in large quantities to auctions for $200-$500 a pop. Do the math...if probably cost them nothing to breed them, they are raised "free," pasture bred, foal out in the wilderness, no foot/vet/worming care, skinny and potbellied and living off free range. Until people stop buying them and auctions quit allowing them...these folks, unfortunately, won't stop. What are they going to do, sell all the horses and the ranch and get a real job (okggo l'sol) that would be too much like work!

So so sad
    Celtic Pride Farm
    www.celticpridefarm.com
    Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by okggo View Post
      I don't think anyone here will argue with you on that. Amen.

The problem is not everyone cares, and the ones that don't care are likely not going to be trying to learn about SHB on internet BBs. These people think of horses as commodities that rank below their 4-wheeler and beer. Horses aren't pets to them, they probably aren't even as valuable as a cow to them b/c a cow produces an immediate demand for milk and/or meat. They breed hundreds upon hundreds of grade foals and ship them in large quantities to auctions for $200-$500 a pop. Do the math...if probably cost them nothing to breed them, they are raised "free," pasture bred, foal out in the wilderness, no foot/vet/worming care, skinny and potbellied and living off free range. Until people stop buying them and auctions quit allowing them...these folks, unfortunately, won't stop. What are they going to do, sell all the horses and the ranch and get a real job (okggo l'sol) that would be too much like work!

So so sad
      Well said Julie. I also believe as long as the killer market provides a reward for people who breed indiscriminately like that and treat horses like that, there will be people who "supply" them. I know of ranches that breed everything with a uterus regardless of quality and bring the killer trucks right to the ranch in the fall and load up the unsold babies. They might make a pittance on them but since they put nothing in them to begin with, it is profitable to them.

Comment

They breed hundreds upon hundreds of grade foals and ship them in large quantities to auctions for $200-$500 a pop.
        Our local horse auction (probably similar to the one the OP attended) weanling and yearlings sell for $50.00...$100 if they look really, really good. Abandonment of starving horses is becoming more and more of an issue. Horse rescues are full with no more room at the inn.

In our travels, we're now seeing signs in certain parts of the country saying that anyone found abandoning horses will be prosecuted. Trick is catching them. But, flip side is what does someone do that can no longer afford to care for their horses? No horse rescues to take them. Can't sell them. We've always humanely euthanized our aged and injured horses, but if you're poor, even that can be out of the budget and shooting a horse, many owners just can't bring themselves to do. I KNOW that if you're poor you shouldn't own a horse, but we're talking reality not what people "should" do. We hear regularly about those people that are going to breed their Clydesdale mare to an Arabian and the foal will have a "forever" home. We try to encourage people that before breeding, think of what will happen if you can't provide that "forever" home. At least breed something that will stand the chance of being marketable and the opportunity that someone will purchase it.

Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Kathy St.Martin
        Equine Reproduction Short Courses
        http://www.equine-reproduction.com
        Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
        Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
          Well said Julie. I also believe as long as the killer market provides a reward for people who breed indiscriminately like that and treat horses like that, there will be people who "supply" them. I know of ranches that breed everything with a uterus regardless of quality and bring the killer trucks right to the ranch in the fall and load up the unsold babies. They might make a pittance on them but since they put nothing in them to begin with, it is profitable to them.
          Yup...Do you remember the youtube video in Holland? of a bunch of friesians flooded on an island and the rescue effort to get them off? Beautiful horses, great condition, good weight. It came out later that they all belonged to a meat farm, they were raised to slaughter. However, what I have noticed, in the countries that eat horse meat, they tend to care for their stock better, in good flesh and not pumped with god-knows what kinds of medications, it is controlled. Like many of the good cattle breeders in the US, the cattle are fed well, cared for well, and do ultimately end up as dinners. There are strict requirements for food in the US, but the horse slaughter seems to have none (correct me if I'm wrong here).

In the US the breeders like we are talking about really have no minimum requirements to meet. Pretty much anything is fair game for the meat man.

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, other than at least if there were standards for slaughter bound purchases maybe they would arrive in better shape. Although I agree with you, in an ideal world we wouldn't need or be able to keep a killer market in business. But I think regulating the purchases is probably a more attainable step then abolishing them at this point.

And I'm also throwing out there I haven't studied the slaughter industry at all so my post is strictly an opinion, and it may be uninformed but so far it is what I have seen. But I have been to auctions (New Holland) and see what goes through there and what goes to KBs. It is a really really frightening thought that some of those animals may be intended for food, and that they are purchased as-is (many times in the worst end of the spectrum).

Kathy, that is just sad!! But really, that is also VERY VERY VERY irresponsible of them. If it is happening with that great of frequency, it seems unlikely that they are all cases of unfortunate events (i.e. spouce dies, house falls down). Plenty of them SHOULD HAVE KNOWN better, and ignorance is no excuse. If they are too poor to afford putting the horse down, but yet bought or bred horses anyway, then I have absolutely no sorrow for them and their poor decision making.
          Celtic Pride Farm
          www.celticpridefarm.com
          Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

Ending horse slaughter in the US has only made things much worse for the horses. At least when the "foal mill" breeders had an outlet for their "produce" they made an effort to get them to the sales in good condition. Now they are, in many cases, left to fend for themselves. Not good.

Personally I don't like the idea of horse slaughter but after all millions of cattle are slaughtered each year and I honestly don't think it is "wrong" to slaughter horses for food. What is wrong is shipping them inhumanely to Mexico and Canada for slaughter. What is wrong is abandoned horses, starving. Winter is just around the corner and I'm guessing there are many horses "on the range" that won't make it through the winter. But, since they are "free" that might be OK with many folks .

If HSUS and PETA get their way, ending slaughter is just the beginning. The ultimate goal is that no one have an animal for ANY purpose. No riding, no guide dogs, no meat, no milk, not even a soft purring kitty on your lap on a cold morning.

Comment

Kathy, that is just sad!! But really, that is also VERY VERY VERY irresponsible of them. If it is happening with that great of frequency, it seems unlikely that they are all cases of unfortunate events (i.e. spouce dies, house falls down). Plenty of them SHOULD HAVE KNOWN better, and ignorance is no excuse. If they are too poor to afford putting the horse down, but yet bought or bred horses anyway, then I have absolutely no sorrow for them and their poor decision making.
              Oh, you get no argument from me. Frustrating. Really frustrating. It's all about education but some of those that say "it will have a forever home" just don't understand that some things just aren't forever.

Kathy St.Martin
              Equine Reproduction Short Courses
              http://www.equine-reproduction.com
              Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
              Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks ending horse slaughter will, in the end be even more horrible for horses. okggo you made some really valid points, and I have to say I pretty much agree with you-much to the distaste of many people I know. I think regulating things so there is a certain standard of care would be so much better for these poor things that are now suffering a fate much worse than death. And I'm one of the biggest softies around....again just an opinion though. The whole thing is sad no matter how you slice it
                Cornerstone Equestrian
                Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
                RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
                www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I am not against horse slaughter.....but I dont agree with how they are treated in the auctions and on the way to the slaughter house. Without slaughter houses, Horses will be standing in fields SLOWLY starving to death. Which is worse?? I guess there is no real answer to this than proper education and consequences for those who abuse and neglect animals.

Comment

Horses have and will continue to be found starving to death in fields and barns. It made no difference when half a million were slaughtered in the US or today when only 100K are shipped out of country to be slaughtered.

Point is who do you want to see rewarded for this behavior? The asshat indiscriminate breeders and kill buyers?

It sucks for the horses either way but I'd rather not support above mentioned persons- thank you.

Our equine industry needs to start making OWNERS and RANCHES responsible for their actions- not debating the effects post mortum if you will. Call them out... SHAME them with public pressure... stopping their money making business.

Make a statement by hitting them in their pocketbook.

Comment

Over the last year we have seen the horses decrease more and more that are going to the auctions to such a point that we aren't going at all any more. We have no more room at the inn for that rescue that we take care of(We have purchase more than one or two). The slaughters being gone have just made it bad for the horses. We are in Houston and the horses are being treated worse than when it was legal to slaughter, it is disturbing and sad.

Comment

Message from Canadian Slaughterhouses: "We don't need your horses, really"

There are farms up here that breed specifically for slaughter. At least two that I know of, probably more. Mostly big draft crosses. By the hundreds.

We are now importing so many horses from the US that is is beginning to affect the price of horses in Canada, and increase the number of abandonments.

The border is now closed to horses from Florida, and will likely be closed at some point due to pressure from animal rights groups. There will truly be no out.
                        Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

Working...
                        X