• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

David Copperfield as a sporthorse sire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Copperfield as a sporthorse sire

A thread about him popped up on the main forum page under Racing, so I peeked in. He's said to have been a good racehorse himself, but so far not producing much in that way (said his oldest are '05 models).

I looked at his picture, see he's a direct son of Halo out of a Count Brook mare, he LOOKS to me like a nice sporthorse type, so it got me wondering:

Would he be a good sporthorse sire? Eventing maybe?
    http://www.ohiostallions.com/DavidCopperfield.html

His stud fee is certainly well within what sporthorse breeders would spend, only $1000 for 2013.

Educate me

He is very nice. I would like to see him turned into a sport horse or a sport horse sire. Well worth looking into.

Comment

This post is not at all helpful, but...

It's fine to talk about whether a TB stallion would work for the SH market - but the potential new market has to be understood and embraced by the stallion manager And it's been my experience that when TB stallion managers have to deal with sporthorse breeders, they end up running full tilt away from the barn, screaming like a banshee. Definitely a case of "when worlds collide".
      "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Comment

My take on this is always "why reinvent the wheel when there are already proven horses available?" I realize the only way horses get proven is because someone gave it a try but it isn't going to be with my mare/money. In this case, I believe the stallion manager would welcome sport horses with open arms since he only got three mares last year.
        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

When there are other T.B. Stallions who are proven sport horse producers, what is the reason to experiment with an unknown? Especially in the current market, it seems to me that sticking with a more proven entity would be a good idea.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I know things can stop dead in their tracks because the SO isn't willing

And yes, I know things have to start somewhere to get proven. And yeah, someone has to do it LOL

I guess maybe the root of my question was missed. Given this horse's pedigree, does he seem like he's got what it takes to do this. I know Halo is a good racehorse sire, or at least a good (enough) sire of sires. I know there are a LOT of his kids/grandkids/etc who never raced, or came OT, and went on to sporthorse careers. I don't know anything about the dam side of any of those horses though. I don't know this horse's dam side.

So maybe that's the better question - would his pedigree suggest he's got a good chance at producing pretty good sporthorses, and for what - eventing, jumpers, hunters?

I suppose this is coming in the heels of a post Danny Emerson made on FB a few days ago, about the past life of "TB filtering" where many, many TBs came off the track and were evaluated and filtered to raise the cream of the crop to the Eventing level. That fell by the wayside, and now, as he sees it, it's at least making a bit of a come back by way of having all these OTTBs come through the likes of CANTER and Re-Run.

People here have discussed the highlight of TBs in Eventing and Jumper history, lamenting its loss. If it's going to be brought back, getting more good TB blood into the mix, don't we have to start looking at some of these purely race-bred horses to get diversity?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
              When there are other T.B. Stallions who are proven sport horse producers, what is the reason to experiment with an unknown? Especially in the current market, it seems to me that sticking with a more proven entity would be a good idea.
              Ok, humor me! I didn't say *I* am looking to do this. I don't know anyone who's looking for a new upcoming stallion.

I am asking about this horse based on pedigree - does it lend itself to this, or not. That's all - this isn't about whether MOs should be jumping all over his low stud fee just to breed to a TB stallion

Comment

I like him and his pedigree certainly says he has potential. He's a good looking guy, he raced to age 5 and ran and won or placed in races over a mile -- all good things. I'd love to see some of the lightly used Thoroughbred stallions, such as this one, promoted to the sport breeders.
                PennyG

Comment

I like his look and pedigree, but for me he's just to small.

Comment

I'm one who is open to the idea of using racing TB stallions for sport. HOWEVER, I want to know darn well what the stallion produces...looking at his page isn't enough, I want to see lots of his offspring, and evaluate them for sport suitability. Realistically, you're not going to be able to see dozens of them already under saddle and competing in your chosen sport discipline. But, if the sire is prolific enough, you can see a fair number of them on the farm, at the sales, and at the track. If you see enough individuals, you can learn what the stallion produces-- general type, conformational tendencies, faults, and movement.

The good thing about many TB sires is they put a lot of horses on the ground...go to the Keeneland sales and you'll see many representatives of the same sires; you can learn what each stallion tends to throw (which may, or may not be seen in the pedigree!). If your goal is to breed a TB mare, this is very useful-- you're seeing what the TB stallion produces with TB mares just like yours! (Instead of a WB stallion who may only be bred to "selective" TB sport mares to produce outstanding sport prospects, you're looking at a TB stallion who's bred to a general racing population of TB mares, not selected for sport...if that TB stallion can produce sporty progeny from typical TB mares, I consider that a plus!)

David Copperfield has about 80 horses on the ground; look at 20 or more of them and determine if you like what he produces. Does he give them good qualities? Or do they all look nothing alike, and take more after their dams? He bred about 20 horses a year 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007; since then just a handful. I know a couple sons of Halo that make decent sport horses, but pedigree alone is way too much a risk to breed, at any price.

Personally, I'd pass. While I'm not breeding a racehorse, it is discouraging to see that his best runners, now 6 years old, earned less than $100,000. He had 23 runners this year, only 6 winners, and is ranked #97 on the Midwest Sires List (that's Indiana, Ohio, IL, Iowa, etc. Not Kentucky). That suggests that, while he probably got some pretty poor mares, he didn't do much (if anything) to improve them; he likely doesn't produce athletes, especially from average mares.

For the sake of comparison, look at Action This Day (#7 Midwest List). He also stands for $1000 (in Indiana), with 48 winners from 95 runners in 2012. His best horse in 2012 earned $105,000, but he has 10 lifetime earners of 100,000 or more. Yes, he's been bred to a lot more mares than David Copperfield...but that shows that he is more desirable, and more foals on the ground means more for you to look at. Personally, I've noticed the Kris S/Roberto type is very heritable (BIG, long shoulders, cat-like walk, long strides, and Robertos can jump!). To me, he is better to investigate than David Copperfield. (Many stallions are...that's just one example.)
                    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

As an individual, the OP's stallion of question does not scream "sport horse" to me. His cannons are quite long and light all the way around, and he is a bit a square rather than a rectangle....He doesn't look scopy to me. Nimble, maybe, but he doesn't have the long shoulder and deep heart girth that I'd expect to see (and hope to be passed on) for a wonderful gallop and scope.

Action Day makes a good contrasts in all of these features.

Comment

Ehh nothing to me screams "I want this stallion to breed to my mare".

The only thing I really like about him is his name.
                        I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

Double post
                          Last edited by FLeventer; Jan. 10, 2013, 02:43 PM.
                          I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks - that's the sort of discussion I was looking for

I agree Action Day is better looking. Thanks for the info on the Roberto line. Is that because of Roberto, or is it because of Kris S with the addition of the dam line?

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                              Thanks - that's the sort of discussion I was looking for

I agree Action Day is better looking. Thanks for the info on the Roberto line. Is that because of Roberto, or is it because of Kris S with the addition of the dam line?
                              Robertos can jump; I know a son who was a steeplechaser and fox hunter. Roberto grandsons (through Dynaformer, most notably, but also Kris S, Lear Fan, etc) also make good steeplechasers/jumpers, too.

What I mean by the highly heritable neck/shoulder, take a look at these pics:
                              Dynaformer (by Roberto)
                              --Temple City (by Dynaformer)
                              Lear Fan (by Roberto)
                              Kris S (by Roberto)
                              Arch (by Kris S; he's got a chunky butt courtesy of damsire Danzig)
                              --Blame (by Arch)
                              Rock Hard Ten (by Kris S)
                              -- Yearling by Rock Hard Ten
                              Action This Day (by Kris S)
                              “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
                              ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

• Original Poster

Cool, thanks!

I love all the shoulders, but Kris S WOW! And his kids are better than all the others as well.

Comment

Jess is a Kris S Granddaughter if that tells you anything!
                                  McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

JB, I am excited you posted this here!
                                    Since I now own a filly out of David Copperfield, I have been studying him like no other to figure out what type of foals he throws. I'm hoping my filly turns out to be a horse I can use for some eventing.

Comment

• Original Poster

Laurie, I had no idea! Well no wonder she and Juliet are so awesome

snydere - is that your new filly, or is it the one I posted about who needed a home and she landed with you?:

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	14669_192870748971_189840138971_2914859_3612617_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	9135548
                                        Can you see the Kris S now?!
                                        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Working...
                                        X