• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Show Me Your Favourite Breeder Website (& a few related questions...)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our website is constantly being upgraded. Our biggest complaint has been we have too much information, but forty plus years in to it, we find it hard to shrink what is going on. If anyone has problems navigating they are welcome to contact us. We are glad to hear about improvements and make changes.

www.watermark-farm.net
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Comment

Originally posted by ahf View Post
      Well PP, I have two horses left, then I can just re-name the "For Sale" page the "Sold" page and be done with it. Until then, the two left will be at the top, and the sold ones underneath. Like HAF said - when you are closing up shop, it's hard to gather up any enthusiasm to update your website. I just spent 7 hours updating it because I felt I had to, and I don't know about Mary Lou, but that was one depressing exercise.

This thread did get me thinking about what I will do with it once I'm completely out. I need to think on it some more, but I'm inclined to leave it up so that if anyone ever ends up with one of my homebreds they might be able to find me. A topic for the "retiring breeders" facebook page I guess.
      Oh I was worried you would take my comments as a negative, I really meant it as a compliment. Although it IS a little salt in the wound seeing all the horses you may have missed out on when you go to a for sale site. I do think your site is very nice. You should keep it up I think, it would be nice for people to see all the info about Fielding, and any offspring of your mares.
      Last edited by Perfect Pony; Jan. 5, 2013, 07:53 PM.
      On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

We do the sales pages by year of birth, so someone can go to (for example) 2010 Sales Horses, and get a brief description of each horse still available from that year, then a link to each horse's individual sales page which includes numerous photos in chrono order (from young foal to most current), along with video link and more detailed information. That way, there is no confusion about horse's age, and people can easily just browse the ages they are interested in. I find most people are either interested in 3/4 year olds (ready to ride or started under saddle) or current year babies.

When a horse sells, I mark them sold on that page for a few months, AND move them to the Sold Horses page - after a few months, I take them down for the For Sale page. I leave them up on the page for a few months because I have gotten a lot of inquiries over the years, "hey, I was thinking of coming to look at SoAndSo, and now they aren't on the page anymore - what happened to them"? This way, people know, SoAndSo was sold.

I agree with the comment - good photos are mandatory! We try to keep a "current conformation shot" up, as well as fun action shots - I do all my own photography, and action shots are my favorite. Current means taken within a year - I seldom update in Winter months - our horses are pasture raised, which means they are muddy and hairy in the Winter Not great for advertising.

To me, a good website means I can easily find information on sales horses, broodmares, and stallions. Sales horses contain current pictures, enough video to see all 3 gaits, and a bit of information about the horse's personality (if they are old enough to include that), training, breeding, etc.

I hate bad pictures - conformation shots that don't actually show conformation (taken at weird angles for example), pictures that are "head on" - why make your horse look like a bucket head? Sites that are misleading making it sound like "Famous Horse" is a close relative, when really it is a great-great-grandsire, or a cousin-third-removed. Claims that SoAndSo was a champion - when it was a class of one. Sites that are just confusing to navigate. Sites with NO sales price on sales horses.

Comment

If you would, check out our site. Www.hyperionstud.com

I feel we made a site that is easy to get through, and all information is as up to date as we can keep up with. We haven't changed much in 4 yrs but planning on doing some small enhancements to make the browser experience better.

Any feedback is much appreciated!
          Cheers!
          Hyperion Stud, LLC.
          Europe's Finest, Made in America
          WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
          Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Loving how polished those sites look. They're giving me some good ideas.

I think I will go with the general consensus and have a "Young Stock" vs "Foals" so I can sort them by year. I think I will go ahead with the news page as well and just be sure to update it somewhat often, especially in the winter.

Please keep any other suggestions coming!

Comment

Many of the websites previously mentioned are very good, however, this one is hard to top for amazing content, regular updates, and ability to see and compare offspring and siblings -- www.rollingstonefarm.com

Comment

I don't care about format. Sales page...meh. Cutesy foal pics...meh. What I want to see is VIDEO of stallion. Hack videos. Jumping videos. Offspring videos a PLUS! And of course pictures. Conformation pictures. Of stallion and get. Jumping pics of offspring (especially because getting video of sold horses is tough.) Everyone says you should go and meet the stallion you want to breed to. Well most people don't have the luxury of flying about the country viewing stallions. Bring them to me!!
                What I lack in preparedness I make up for in enthusiasm

Comment

We highly recommend Pat Campbell of HoofBeat Media. She knows horses as well as web design, is easy to work with, creative and practical. Pat uses the Weebley design format, which allows you to easily update you own site. http://www.hoofbeatmedia.com/index.html

Comment

relaunched website

Many apologies for reviving this thread (which I know is very frowned upon in the forums) but I had remembered it from earlier this year when I started this process. We have just relaunched the website for our stud farm in the UK and I would love any comments you have. It is still pretty much a work in progress and there are lots of photos and details to add but you can get the idea. Hopefully there's nothing major but I'd love to hear what you think. Here's the link. www.biddesdenstud.co.uk

all best, Rebecca

Comment

I'm going to agree with DennisM. RSF's website has everything in a very organized presentation. This website is number one with me.

Comment

I LOVE my new website - www.TrueColoursFarm.com that Natasyha Bay Designs put together for me

She's a corporate web designer that wanted to branch into the equine industry and I am so impressed by the job she did for me

I insisted on doing a lot of the upgrades / input myself and I admit that I have been tardy in new foal announcements / horses for sale / horses sold and have vowed this week I will get a lot of it done. Now that haying is done I can actually probably DO it too!
                        www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                        www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

As a buyer, when I've been looking to buy a horse, dog, whatever - one of my biggest pet peeves was outdated sites. If you're going to have a web site, keep it up to date. Nothing more frustrating than inquiring on something & finding out it was sold long ago.

Here is one of my favorite sites. Granted, it's for poodles - not horses - but the layout is easy to navigate, clearly updated and with a date that it was updated (which is my favorite part). I ended up buying a puppy from her and a lot was due to a professional website - and nice, nice dogs.

http://rainbowtoypoodles.com/

Comment

I LOVE Glenhill's website. Having beautiful horses helps too...
                            I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Comment

I built my website based on what I wanted to see, as a buyer, if I were shopping for a pony. Although there are still more things I want to add, I am pleased with how it has turned out. I am also a fan of several others on this thread!! It is so refreshing to see people who REALLY get out there and market their horses and ponies with proper photos and information!!
                              Lorelei Farm - Welsh and Riding Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
                              Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

Comment

Originally posted by DennisM View Post
                                Many of the websites previously mentioned are very good, however, this one is hard to top for amazing content, regular updates, and ability to see and compare offspring and siblings -- www.rollingstonefarm.com
                                Agree -- super job! But Mo has a BIG operation that covers all facets of the sporthorse market (breeding, training, showing) -- she needs all that to promote her biz.

However, I was disappointed to see that many of her Sales Horses' videos are sadly out dated; I was comparison shopping on the Foals of 2011 page and the newest video was a year old.

She's asking pretty good prices for all her horses, so I have to think she has newer video, but it's more a matter of editing and putting it all on the site itself -- that's a very time consuming job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                                  Agree -- super job! But Mo has a BIG operation that covers all facets of the sporthorse market (breeding, training, showing) -- she needs all that to promote her biz.

However, I was disappointed to see that many of her Sales Horses' videos are sadly out dated; I was comparison shopping on the Foals of 2011 page and the newest video was a year old.

She's asking pretty good prices for all her horses, so I have to think she has newer video, but it's more a matter of editing and putting it all on the site itself -- that's a very time consuming job.
                                  That's right. Some of the videos are older. I would spend 24/7 doing updated videos on all of the sales horses and someone would still want a newer one. I am happy to go out and get a video on any horse anyone is interested in. They can certainly see if the movement and conformation is there from the earlier videos. I do try to keep up with updated videos of the riding horses whose learning curves are really steep in the early months and years of their under saddle training.
                                  http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
                                  Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
                                  Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Comment

Mo, you certainly have my admiration for the job you do so consistently and thoroughly! Breeding and raising as many foals as you do, you continue to amaze me with all the "customer service" aspects of your website! In the end, it's impossible to be everything to everybody, but let me tell you - you definitely get VERY close!
                                    Siegi Belz
                                    www.stalleuropa.com
                                    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                                    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

We tried to employ a simple format (am not a techy savvy person) with beautiful photographs, and bit of history of who we are, and easy navigation. Peggy Ingles of Entice-Design is wonderful WONDERFUL to work with, she knows horses, has alot of good ideas and is willing to work with me, someone who is a bit strong willed about what I want and how I want it. We provided the photos and the basic idea and she's been great about putting it together.
                                      www.ancientoakssporthorse.com.
                                      Also she is very quick to update, something I have a pet peave about. I dislike 'old' news, photos, and a web master that is slowwww to update..To us, simple, colorful, quality photos, and an easy going text is what has worked well for us so far.
                                      And since we are retiring after this year, I was interested (and sad) to read how others are handling/planning to handle the websites........
                                      Last edited by ancientoaks; Jun. 26, 2013, 02:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

My husband and I have a small breeding farm and are basically doing everything by ourselves. Over our respective full time jobs. I have learned the html and css and now learning the html5 and css3 and some php, so I am able to do and manage my website on my own and do some small contracts for other breeders. I try very hard to keep my website updated, but there's always some little details to fix. It has one french and one english version, and over 50 pages total. I am very happy with the result, and I hope people enjoy their visit on it. It is a lot of time to keep it utd but I think it worths it.
                                        www.autumnsstables.com
                                        Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
                                        Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Comment

Cartier, What a pleasure to see beautifully put together, properly cropped and docked Dobermans! My geographic location leaves much to be desired for this breed. What a treat finding this thread!

Comment

Working...
                                          X