• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sport Pony Market

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Pony Market

I am considering breeding my three year old Oldenburg mares to pony stallions for their first foals. Since first babies tend to be smaller anyway I thought I would try for smaller to begin with. I would want to sell the resulting foals as weanling as I do not have a teeny tiny trainer to start them later. Two questions: how is the market for pony foals, and how on earth do you part with anything so cute!
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

I regularly have inquiries for foals that will mature as large ponies, but we do not produce those, as we focus on the purebreds. From the inquiries I've had, I would judge the market to be fairly good, considering I'm not even advertising anything like what a lot of these people are looking for.

It seems like a lot of my sport horse mare clients sell their Mardi Gras babies as foals -- though others breed with the plan to keep, or keep until going under saddle.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I'm with rideagoldenpony. For the non-purebred folks (I primarily breed Half Welshes, finally just venturing into purebred), they want larger ponies, typically 14-14.1 hands from what I've found. Most of the breeding inquiries I get as well are people looking to breed their decent sized mare to a pony to get something around 14 hands.

As for how to part with them- can't help you there. I've got one right now who I really really really SHOULD sell, but I'm having a ridiculously hard time with it. I've got a clients pony here too who they've just decided to sell and it's KILLING me not buying it for myself! This coming year is going to be absolute torture as I've got three coming, and I would be perfectly content to keep them all.... but in reality I should sell them all... They are perfectly cute, and tiny, with darling little ears and whiskers. Typically rather fuzzy, friendly, and fancy. NOT easy to not like!
      Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
      Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
      Facebook Page.
      Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Comment

I am a German Riding Pony breeder and I commonly sell mine as foals. In fact, I am all out of youngsters for sale at the moment. The biggest market I have is the top of the line large to oversized ponies, so I have started using some WB mares to cross with GRP's. Believe it or not, oversized is my most common request! FYI-You really don't need a tiny trainer to start large ponies...but as a breeder, selling them as foals is ussualy still the best way to go. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
        Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
        Standing the stallion Burberry
        www.germanridingpony.com
        www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Comment

I have a larger sport pony foal coming. It will be a TB/Connemara cross. The Stallion is approved Weser Ems.
          Below is tb mare pedigree. If you know if anyone, please send them my way

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/absolute+dream

Marinfarm Sporthorsrs
          http://www.marinfarmsporthorses.com

Comment

Let me get in line right behind NickRick. I have nothing moving. I have a 15 hand registered half Welsh for sale who scored 70% at training level at the recognized show this past weekend and is a piece of cake to ride but the few tire kickers I've had want bigger or branded. I have two 2012 fillies, one purebred and one 3/4 bred Welsh who will mature around 14 hands and 15 hands respectively and not one bit of interest though I haven't become overly concerned because other than on my website I haven't really advertised them for sale and won't until the first of the year after we've weaned them and taken new video and pictures.

I am seriously contemplating breeding (to a Welsh stallion) our Manhattan (Oldenburg) mare, my purebred and half bred welsh mares this spring but may hold off if I don't get anything moved by then. I'm in a difficult area for selling anything that isn't "the norm" but one would think that a proven performance record would at least get some nibbles.
            Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I don't believe the first foal is small thought. But, the interest in large sport ponies is good! I see them selling more as two and three year olds though. I think it depends on where you are, some places the market is real good, it is just starting to catch on here in the North east.
              I have some nice sale ponies for those who are getting inquiries and don't have what they are looking for!
              www.twinlightsfarm.net

Comment

<sigh>..I WISH I had a few babies coming from Belafonte. We get requests regularly from baby boomers looking for a smaller ride but with warmblood attributes. So, I believe the market is out there. We're planning on breeding him to a couple smaller mares in the hopes of producing large ponies or honies. The interest is definitely out there!
                Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
                Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

We breed and promote Pure and Partbred Connemara Ponies for Dressage and Combined Training. All of our breeding stock is also approved/performance tested with the Weser Ems. The part or half breds tend to stick around a little longer depending on how they are bred (and the price!). The purebreds tend to draw more interest initially especially well bred filly foals and stallion prospects. That being said we have nothing currently for sale--all our youngsters sold last season into GREAT homes. Almost all of our homebreds sell at or before age 3--the most interest comes just as they are about to be started under saddle or just as they approaching riding age. My last group of youngsters were on the market only a couple of weeks before they sold--I did not bother to advertise them much until just last year.
                  Redbud Ranch
                  Check us out on FB

Comment

I have a lovley 15.2 warmblood mare that I've considered putting to a fancy pony stallion but I am nervous of being able to sell the youngster. I may still try it in the future.
                    I don't know about the first foal thing, hers is over 16 hands as a two year old.

Comment

Hanoverian/Welsh sport pony

I bred my 15.3HH maiden A-line Hanoverian mare to Alvesta Picasso in 2007 with the same thought in mind. I wanted a keeper sport pony (but ended up with healthy twins, but that's another story and a half).

I kept one of the twins and she has done very well in-hand and recently scored gold premium at the RPSI inspection this fall. She hasn't gone out much, but when she does - I do get enquiries as to her availability.

I decided to breed her mom back to Picasso for a foal next year. This one is for sale in utero and I haven't had any interest (but haven't really advertised because I'm really pathetic and want to keep them all).
                      http://www.cajonatfarm.com/
                      Home of well loved ponies...

Comment

Originally posted by Canterbury Court View Post
                        Since first babies tend to be smaller anyway I thought I would try for smaller to begin with.
                        Don't get sucked into the myth For many of the breeders on this board, this Old Wive's Tale has been disproved many times! As everyone has already stated, the demand is definitely higher for large ponies over mediums.

There are lots of successful Welsh x warmblood crosses...the key is doing your homework. We have bred our pony stallions successfully to warmblood mares, but it's important to understand that some pony stallions throw a lot of height, others don't. Same goes for the mares. If your Oldenburg mare is over 15.3 HH and has a lot of height in her pedigree, you're going to have to be very careful on what stallion you choose for her. I think you'll find with most warmbloods mares that you will need to stick with a stallion that is under 13 HH so the resulting foal doesn't end up a "hony". Again though, that can vary a bit depending on the background of your mare
                        www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                        Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                        Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
                        www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

Also, it's important to note that if you are trying to sell foals (or anything, for that matter) it's important to have quality photos and video, and actually *advertise* them!
                          Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                          Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I know what you mean about how adorable these ponies are. I had my first Welsh cross foal this year, a filly, and LUV her I did the breeding last year for a pony to sell, but now I am not so sure I want to part with her
                            Attached Files
                            The Inverted Y
                            Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
                            2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
                            www.allanglos.net

Comment

• Original Poster

[QUOTE=Daventry;6700391]Don't get sucked into the myth For many of the breeders on this board, this Old Wive's Tale has been disproved many times! As everyone has already stated, the demand is definitely higher for large ponies over mediums.

Actually the "smaller first baby" is based on my observations of my own herd over the last 20 years. Examples Baby#1 16.1, baby #2 17.2 - same dam and sire. Baby #1 15.1, baby #2 17.1, baby #3 17, baby #4 17.1 same dam all sires 16.2. Baby #1 15.2 baby # 2 16.2, baby # 3 16 at age 2 same dam first sire 17.1, second sire 16.2,

I don't say that this is necessarily a rule but it seems to be pretty consistent for my herd. I can only recall one mare out of over 20 whose first baby was one of her largest. Others may have a different experience.
                              Cindy Bergmann
                              Canterbury Court
                              559-903-4814
                              www.canterbury-court.com

Comment

I'll let you know in May...

Aj's first Welsh cross twins were 13.2-ish simply due to being twins I'm sure. Her second pregnancy was to a 17.2HH Swedish WB...so can't compare.

We'll see what she produces this year with Picasso. I'm assuming bigger than 13.2...possibly a hony. When I did advertise the one twin sibling when she was a yearling I did get lots of people hoping she would mature 14HH to 15HH...

So not sure if that helps your decision process marketing-wise. But I can definitely say they are hard/impossible to part with - so beware
                                http://www.cajonatfarm.com/
                                Home of well loved ponies...

Comment

well, at least I am in good company I bred my Wolkentanz I mare to a Weser Ems stallion Manchester City. I *hope* to get a 15h +/- fancy pants honey for myself. we shall see.

Depending on what happens over the next 6 months (and of course the foal itself) i may re-breed my mare - and probably to another pony. i really think there is going to be a big market in fancy "mid" sized horses....

Comment

Also, it's important to note that if you are trying to sell foals (or anything, for that matter) it's important to have quality photos and video, and actually *advertise* them!

Touche; however, those can be tough for some of us to come by and also there is a preference for some of us to sell our stock into local homes which I have always found to be done through word-of-mouth. The tire kickers I've had have all been older ammies (60+) or really their trainers, all who know me and vice versa, and the end result so far is to go to Europe....that's 4 out of 4 to this date.
                                    Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I really wish more folks would realize what fun ponies are and how much easier it is to ride them..... why struggle with a giant when you can have a blast on a smaller sport model?

Comment

I really wish more folks would realize what fun ponies are and how much easier it is to ride them..... why struggle with a giant when you can have a blast on a smaller sport model?

I've had some pretty interesting conversations about this lately. I have been repeatedly told that it's all about "the quality." I've even been told by a few judges now, USEF rated, that on a 'pony' you are out there bare as bones and there is no hiding ANYTHING. On a larger horse of conventional dressage breeding and nice gaits, you can hide and get away with quite a lot. People who are advising their clients on what to buy know this and know they need to weigh the risks and the benefits of obtaining stated goals. Some recipes have a higher chance for success, as you know, than others because others require more work from all involved. If I were in "their" shoes and asked frankly what makes the most sense I would have to recommend the same path. I've just always been one who has marched to my own drum, bandleader be damned, but, know that there are fewer willing to do/say the same. Perhaps it's just my area as it has seemed to be the case over all these years of talk about the sport pony market.

I probably should add that I did get calls over the weekend, out of the blue, from people asking if I still had a particular horse (pony breed) to which I replied, 'yes'. I was then asked by one if he was available for purchase and before I could answer gave me what she wanted to pay for him. I had to let her know that while I was willing to lease the horse out earlier this year, he was not nor has he ever been for sale. I have never advertised this horse, EVER. This is not the first time I've had people cold call me on this animal. The prices offered though have repeatedly made me giggle........um yeah, let me sell him to you for 'x' price so I can go out and pay 10 times that much to buy the same for myself or make another one which will take some time and all because ???????? So to be fair I have had people call and show interest in some of my stock and for what they really are, just not those that are for sale.
                                        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Working...
                                        X