• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

American Bred?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Bred?

I have purchased and imported several young horses from Germany and Ireland. Mostly Ireland now, through Richard Sheane. Recently, I had someone come to me with an interest in investing in young, unbacked, American bred jumpers... And I had no idea where to start! I would be able to find a decent horse that was started in America but I have very little knowledge of who breeds young sporthorses, similar to the quality I have been purchasing abroad. Is anyone able to enlighten me?

Thanks!

Unbacked 3YO?

Some of the breeders who are active on this forum might have some, but I sense they mostly sell their young stock before that.

If your are looking for foals, maybe yearlings, there are many breeders active here that would probably appreciate the inquiry.

Comment

Newcastle, the leading Saugerties circuit 6yo jumper this year under Todd Minikus, is (Orame x Contender), registered AHHA.

I bred and started him and took him to his first shows.

Our horses also led every age group (2, 3, & 4yo) through the Young Horse Show series in freejumping.

We have plenty more, this age and younger...

www.hiddenpearlfarm.com
      Hidden Pearl Farm

Comment

We have had 2 First Premium Jumper bred KWPN foals the last 2 years but both are now sold. But we have definitely changed our breeding focus from mainly dressage to about half jumper breds now. There are many breeders like me out there if you do a search for bloodlines etc...it might help. Best wishes in your search.
        www.lazyjsporthorses.com

Comment

October Hill Farm
          Spy Coast Farm
          Sakura Hill Farm

Just of the top of my head....
          The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

I see a lot of temptation...er...quality here in North America. A good place to start is to google a stallion you fancy and narrow the search by date or go to a website for a particular verband (belgian warmblood= bwp-na) to see the links to the farms.

I also sent you a private message. good luck and great idea.

Comment

Our slogan at Hyperion is "Europe's Finest, Made in America". We are focused on breeding the same quality that the Europens offer. We have some exceptional options from our 2011 and 2012 crops still available if your looking for horses bred with a focus for the jumping sport.

We also offer a lot of stallion choices for breeding if that is of interest as well.

So wonderful to hear you are focusing on horses bred here in NA when looking to buy! There are many breeders out there like us who are working diligently at producing top horses for sport. If we don't have what interests you then I can suggest many others for you to take a look at. PM for more info and of course please visit our website to have a look at what's available from our program.

Cheers!
              Hyperion Stud, LLC.
              Europe's Finest, Made in America
              WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
              Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Comment

If you are open to Canada, then I would look at www.fermebeaulieufarm.com. Ferme Beaulieu Farm has many youngsters to choose from, from all the best European jumper bloodlines. Proven marelines, 5 generations, working on 6 in 2013. I can't say I know another farm with 5 generations of breeding stock still alive and breeding in NA.
                www.bluemoonstables.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Cover Girl View Post
                  If you are open to Canada, then I would look at www.fermebeaulieufarm.com. Ferme Beaulieu Farm has many youngsters to choose from, from all the best European jumper bloodlines. Proven marelines, 5 generations, working on 6 in 2013. I can't say I know another farm with 5 generations of breeding stock still alive and breeding in NA.
                  if i wanted a jumper this is where i would start i *love* their horses!

Comment

We also have Made in America prospects. Mare lines have produced regional, national, and international competition horses. We have used the best European bloodlines infused with TB blood. Have a look at our website.
                    Judy
                    Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
                    Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
                    USEF National ID and Horse Recording Task Force; USHJA Jumper Breeding Ad Hoc Committee

Comment

If you like Irish
                      http://irishdraught.com/#saleshorses

http://www.belltowerstud.com/
                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Thank you for the kind shout-out, JWB!

We focus on breeding top notch jumpers for the big ring from imported mares with top-producing bloodlines from Europe- Germany, Ireland, the Netherlands, France. We choose stallions with a view towards proven progeny in competition, breed approvals, rideability and, yes, temperament - a quality less highlighted in Europe. If there is a sire that a client is particularly keen on having offspring from and he is a good match in terms of pedigree, conformation and temperament with one of our mares, we can do a custom foal contract. Typically, our foals sell young- frequently before birth! However, we are re-tooling our operation to allow us to retain more of the young stock longer because so many have asked us for precisely what you are requesting- unstarted three year olds and four year olds prospects.

We also breed hunters for the American market, essentially using two Alla'Czar mares to which we are adding others.

It is heartening to read the post of the OP which goes to the core of what we so frequently discuss here on this forum---how to encourage buyers to "look American" before going abroad. We KNOW that we and many others have stock on a par, if not, indeed, exceeding the quality of the stock in Europe.....all stemming from the same bloodlines, but bred with a focus on the American client.
                        Last edited by Sakura Hill Farm; Nov. 30, 2012, 08:41 PM.
                        Sakura Hill Farm
                        Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Comment

There are several smaller breeding programs in the U.S. breeding young jumper prospects, but it can take some searching to find them. My program usually produces 3-5 foals/year, but most of them sell either in-utero or pre-weaning. However, we usually have at least 1 or 2 youngsters that we have held back to start under-saddle and I would guess that is the same for many of the smaller breeders here. It is a labor of love to put the time and money into top genetics when you are dealing with a small breeding program, but so far it has been worth it!
                          Last edited by Hillside H Ranch; Nov. 30, 2012, 06:07 PM.
                          Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

I would add to the already esteemed list above http://www.risingstarfarm.net/ , , http://www.claybrookfarms.com/, http://www.ironspringfarm.com/,
                            "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

Branscomb Farm in CA, Hidden Pearl Farm in PA, Birch Hollow Farm in MA, FoxFire Farm in WA, Maggie's Menagerie in GA and Minglewood Sporthorses(me) in NY (www.minglewoodsporthorses.net). These are all Holsteiner breeding farms.
                              Last edited by Maryanne Nicpon; Dec. 1, 2012, 01:11 PM.
                              Maryanne Nicpon
                              Minglewood Sport Horses
                              Ballston Spa, NY

Comment

Sport horses in Virginia

I own the Holsteiner stallion, Concerto Grosso. My main broodmare is a Voltaire daughter who I bred to Cicera's Icewater producing three offspring. My daughter is now competing the oldest one at the Preliminary level and all her coaches say the horse can go to the top. I bred his two sisters to Concerto Grosso and am wowed by the cross. I have traveled overseas and don't believe the European have anything on us. Americans have always thought it more glamorous to buy in Europe and say they imported their horses.

We have a program where we start our own babies that we have cared for since conception. We have four year olds to in-utero for sale.

Rosemarie Merle-Smith
                                www.virginiafieldhunters.com

http://www.facebook.com/vafieldhunters
                                Virginia Field Hunters
                                https://m.facebook.com/vafieldhunters?ref=bookmark

https://m.facebook.com/studconcertogrosso?ref=bookmark CONCERTO GROSSO

Comment

You may wish to speak to Sonja Lowenfish of the American Warmblood Registry for some guidance. She is very familiar with jumper lines from Europe and may be able to give u some insight for more top breeders in ther USA and Canada. She is originally from Germany ( many years ago) where her family has been involved in jumpers for several generations. I believe they bred Holsteiners and were heavily involved with the Holsteiner Association.
                                  "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
                                  Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
                                  Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
                                  Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Comment

Jump Start Farm

Comment

We also breed young jumpers at Silver Creek Farms. Most of our jumper prospects sell to professionals before we have the opportunity to start them, so they are not here long. Some of our homebreds are below -
                                      Validation S (4 year old) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...56721434_n.jpg
                                      Venice S (5 year old) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...08612299_n.jpg
                                      Casciendo S (4 year old) http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4733075_n.jpg
                                      Parquette S (6 year old in AAs) http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...26112408_n.jpg
                                      Parlay S (3 year old) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._1415516_n.jpg
                                      Pirate S (2 year old) http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...32109071_n.jpg
                                      Appeal S (3 year old) http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...48242444_n.jpg
                                      Casallio S (4 year old) http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...50951834_n.jpg

Comment

Really? Two dislikes? Did I name a farm that someone doesn't like or did I leave you off the list?
                                        The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Working...
                                        X