• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cancara coming to the U.S.!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cancara coming to the U.S.!

    I want to announce some exciting news for COTH breeders; Cancara, a son of Cassini I, will be standing at Foxfire Farm for 2013! Karen has made an agreement with the Holsteiner Verband to bring this lovely Holsteiner (and Zangersheide approved) stallion to North America so he will be available by fresh semen to breeders here. I am not affiliated with Foxfire, I just had the opportunity to attend the Holsteiner stallion korung in Neumunster with Karen Reid of Foxfire Farm earlier this month, and when I found out she was importing this exciting young stallion, I wanted to share!

    Cancara is 17.1 with tremendous scope, receiving a 10 for jumping at his stallion test! Apparently, he also has an exceptional mind with fantastic rideability. He also comes from stamm 162, the same mother line as Carthago. Check out his video and pedigree:

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...e_gdata_player

    http://www.horsetelex.com//horses/pedigree/160606

  • #2
    Very cool! I assume he would best be used with mares with not much of the C-lines in their pedigrees - correct?

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
      Very cool! I assume he would best be used with mares with not much of the C-lines in their pedigrees - correct?
      I would ask Karen or one of the more knowledgeable Holsteiner experts regarding which type of mare suits him better. He does have Capitol up close so I would avoid a Capitol-bred mare (as Capitol has a reputation for throwing weak toplines, and it is therefore commonly advised to avoid doubling up on Capitol). He has multiple crosses to Corde (4, I believe), but not so close up, and as far as I know there is not the same concern with linebreeding to Corde, so I guess it really depends which C-line you are referring to.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thats awesome!! He looks amazing!
        Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
        " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
        Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

        Comment


        • #5
          Great news for Cancara! Did Karen happen to mention any new frozen stallions that would be here for the spring?

          Comment

          • Original Poster

            #6
            Originally posted by HorsesforFun View Post
            Great news for Cancara! Did Karen happen to mention any new frozen stallions that would be here for the spring?
            Yes, she did, but I've forgotten most of them already! I know she is going to be getting Centurion and Baracuda semen (I don't remember if she had him already or if he's new?), and she still has a supply of Cormint and Connor. I'll have to ask her again; those were the ones I remember because they are the stallions I was most interested in.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
              I would ask Karen or one of the more knowledgeable Holsteiner experts regarding which type of mare suits him better. He does have Capitol up close so I would avoid a Capitol-bred mare (as Capitol has a reputation for throwing weak toplines, and it is therefore commonly advised to avoid doubling up on Capitol). He has multiple crosses to Corde (4, I believe), but not so close up, and as far as I know there is not the same concern with linebreeding to Corde, so I guess it really depends which C-line you are referring to.
              Thanks for sharing this. I have been looking and looking for more video, photos and his bonits to get more of an idea of his conformation. He looks pretty darn good to me but could be a little more level in the back...is that what you mean by weak topline?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                I would ask Karen or one of the more knowledgeable Holsteiner experts regarding which type of mare suits him better. He does have Capitol up close so I would avoid a Capitol-bred mare (as Capitol has a reputation for throwing weak toplines, and it is therefore commonly advised to avoid doubling up on Capitol). He has multiple crosses to Corde (4, I believe), but not so close up, and as far as I know there is not the same concern with linebreeding to Corde, so I guess it really depends which C-line you are referring to.
                Thanks for sharing this. I have been looking and looking for more video, photos and his bonits to get more of an idea of his conformation. He looks pretty darn good to me but could be a little more level in the back...is that what you mean by weak topline?

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gayle in Oregon View Post
                  Thanks for sharing this. I have been looking and looking for more video, photos and his bonits to get more of an idea of his conformation. He looks pretty darn good to me but could be a little more level in the back...is that what you mean by weak topline?
                  I'm not sure what Cancara himself throws as I have not seen any of his offspring in person, but Holsteiner breeders will tell you that Capitol was known for throwing weak toplines in his offspring (find a picture of Capitol himself and that might not be such a surprise!). That is why you will rarely see Capitol doubled up in a pedigree; therefore, it isn't so much a comment about Cancara himself, but rather just something one should be aware if they have a mare with Capitol in her pedigree. (There are exceptions, as there was a Connor son with double Capitol approved in Neumunster this year; it depends on the characteristics of the mare you are breeding, of course.)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                    I'm not sure what Cancara himself throws as I have not seen any of his offspring in person, but Holsteiner breeders will tell you that Capitol was known for throwing weak toplines in his offspring (find a picture of Capitol himself and that might not be such a surprise!). That is why you will rarely see Capitol doubled up in a pedigree; therefore, it isn't so much a comment about Cancara himself, but rather just something one should be aware if they have a mare with Capitol in her pedigree. (There are exceptions, as there was a Connor son with double Capitol approved in Neumunster this year; it depends on the characteristics of the mare you are breeding, of course.)
                    "Rarely see Capitol doubled in a pedigree" ? My dear , you have not been looking very closely. Out of 79 stallions that you saw in Nuemunster 3 weeks ago......20 of them were double Capitol. Cancara himself is double Capitol. Lets not spread mis-information.

                    The most recent winner in your own country at Spruce Meadows was Cabrio by Cassini I / Calato.

                    double Capitol breeding has been going on for years now. This is nothing new.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Real time info on Cancara from his 2011 breeding indices.

                      He sired 444 foals. Type -121 Movement - 120 index - 121

                      He had 14 daughters come for entry into the studbook.

                      Type - 117 topline- 110 , FL 128 , HL 122 , Correctness of gait - 127 , brilliance and impulsion 127 Index : 122

                      He had 11 daughters do the MPT

                      walk - 104 , trot 105 , canter 110 , rideability 124 , free jumping 116......index : 116

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Bayhawk View Post
                        "Rarely see Capitol doubled in a pedigree" ? My dear , you have not been looking very closely. Out of 79 stallions that you saw in Nuemunster 3 weeks ago......20 of them were double Capitol. Cancara himself is double Capitol. Lets not spread mis-information.

                        The most recent winner in your own country at Spruce Meadows was Cabrio by Cassini I / Calato.

                        double Capitol breeding has been going on for years now. This is nothing new.
                        My apologies, Bayhawk. As I've said, I'm no expert and it would be best to consult those more knowledgeable than myself, I am still learning. I'm surprised you did not weigh in on this topic as you seem to be the resident Holsteiner breeding expert on this forum. I think, though, as with any linebreeding, one must consider the mare in front of them.

                        You have said yourself that linebreeding to Landgraf is a mistake, for example, yet there are many examples of Holsteiners line bred to Landgraf; as Landgraf has been known to produce hind end issues, if I'm not mistaken, one would only consider linebreeding to a mare with good hind end conformation (and who produces this as well), correct? I was suggesting that the same is true for Capitol: linebreeding to a Capitol-bred mare with a weak topline would be unwise. Also, of all the stallions at Neumunster, there were actually only 8 with double Capitol in the first 4 generations. Obviously it is done, but rarely up close. Would you not argue that this is true? Given the prevalence of Capitol blood in Holstein, there is obviously a reason one does not see more of this done (compared to the linebreeding to Corde, for example).

                        Then again, sometimes we are all incorrect when it comes to the importance of careful linebreeding: did you not say yourself that there was no way the (approved and premium) Cantoblanco son, Cantulos, would be approved because of too much inbreeding in his pedigree? Even the best can get it wrong!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                          My apologies, Bayhawk. As I've said, I'm no expert and it would be best to consult those more knowledgeable than myself, I am still learning. I'm surprised you did not weigh in on this topic as you seem to be the resident Holsteiner breeding expert on this forum. I think, though, as with any linebreeding, one must consider the mare in front of them.

                          You have said yourself that linebreeding to Landgraf is a mistake, for example, yet there are many examples of Holsteiners line bred to Landgraf; as Landgraf has been known to produce hind end issues, if I'm not mistaken, one would only consider linebreeding to a mare with good hind end conformation (and who produces this as well), correct? I was suggesting that the same is true for Capitol: linebreeding to a Capitol-bred mare with a weak topline would be unwise. Also, of all the stallions at Neumunster, there were actually only 8 with double Capitol in the first 4 generations. Obviously it is done, but rarely up close. Would you not argue that this is true? Given the prevalence of Capitol blood in Holstein, there is obviously a reason one does not see more of this done (compared to the linebreeding to Corde, for example).

                          Then again, sometimes we are all incorrect when it comes to the importance of careful linebreeding: did you not say yourself that there was no way the (approved and premium) Cantoblanco son, Cantulos, would be approved because of too much inbreeding in his pedigree? Even the best can get it wrong!
                          Tradewind .........you have got to quit spreading mis-information. I have NEVER said linebreeding to Landgraf is a mistake. I said too much Landgraf with a mare with bad hind legs is a mistake.

                          I also never said anything about Cantolus not being approved. I said his pedigree was incest and they would likely never breed with him. I also said he must be really nice or he wouldn't have been selected. I was right.he was a premium stallion. Again , please stop spreading mis-information.

                          Now you are adding caveats to your "double Capitol rarely seen" quote. You said it was rarely seen........I showed that you were wrong. It is VERY often double up close as with Cabrio who is Cassini I / Calato.

                          I know you are excited returning from your first Stallion approvals but lets not spread mis-information.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                            My apologies, Bayhawk. As I've said, I'm no expert and it would be best to consult those more knowledgeable than myself, I am still learning. I'm surprised you did not weigh in on this topic as you seem to be the resident Holsteiner breeding expert on this forum. I think, though, as with any linebreeding, one must consider the mare in front of them.

                            You have said yourself that linebreeding to Landgraf is a mistake, for example, yet there are many examples of Holsteiners line bred to Landgraf; as Landgraf has been known to produce hind end issues, if I'm not mistaken, one would only consider linebreeding to a mare with good hind end conformation (and who produces this as well), correct? I was suggesting that the same is true for Capitol: linebreeding to a Capitol-bred mare with a weak topline would be unwise. Also, of all the stallions at Neumunster, there were actually only 8 with double Capitol in the first 4 generations. Obviously it is done, but rarely up close. Would you not argue that this is true? Given the prevalence of Capitol blood in Holstein, there is obviously a reason one does not see more of this done (compared to the linebreeding to Corde, for example).

                            Then again, sometimes we are all incorrect when it comes to the importance of careful linebreeding: did you not say yourself that there was no way the (approved and premium) Cantoblanco son, Cantulos, would be approved because of too much inbreeding in his pedigree? Even the best can get it wrong!
                            Tradewind .........you have got to quit spreading mis-information. I have NEVER said linebreeding to Landgraf is a mistake. I said too much Landgraf with a mare with bad hind legs is a mistake.

                            I also never said anything about Cantolus not being approved. I said his pedigree was incest and they would likely never breed with him. I also said he must be really nice or he wouldn't have been selected. I was right.he was a premium stallion. Again , please stop spreading mis-information.

                            Now you are adding caveats to your "double Capitol rarely seen" quote. You said it was rarely seen........I showed that you were wrong. It is VERY often double up close as with Cabrio who is Cassini I / Calato.

                            I know you are excited returning from your first Stallion approvals but lets not spread mis-information.

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              I do not want to get into a fight with you Bayhawk, particularly as there is no question you are more knowledgeable than I about Holsteiner breeding and I very much appreciate your insight on the subject. However, (I don't want to go back and look for posts of yours wherein you criticize doubling up on Landgraf, but...) here is a post of yours from yesterday:

                              "The grandfather Loutano is inbred to Landgraf. He is Landgraf / Calypso/Landgraf . Then you have Latino and Lord and then another Landgraf from your mare.

                              People who say they wouldn't hesitate to breed this way or that way don't have to raise , train and sell your horse either.Just my 2 cents......"

                              This sounds EXACTLY like you are against multiple crosses to Landgraf. You don't say anything here about caveats such as "this is only true if your mare has poor hind end conformation" (even though I genuinely believe that is your opinion). I'm not sure why it failed to come across as such, but I believe we are both in agreement that the latter is the case, ie. linebreeding is only problematic in mares with weaknesses that have a good chance of being reproduced through certain linebreeding. (And based on the above post of yours which I quoted, you can't really criticize me for placing a caveat on my statement that I had not mentioned, as you have clearly done the same. I'm just trying to point out that it is rather amusing when the pot calls the kettle black. )

                              As for the Cantoblanco son, it's not really worth arguing about, but you did not say "I will not breed to this", you said, "THEY will not breed this". I am under the impression that a stallion would not have been approved (and made premium, no less) had Dr. Nissen and colleagues not thought he was worth breeding to. I don't really see how you can argue against this statement. You thought they would approve him and then never breed him? This seems like a poor business model to me; breeders in Holstein are smarter than that.

                              I would love to hear your thoughts on Cancara, honestly. You can certainly provide more informed insight for potential breeders than I can.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                                I do not want to get into a fight with you Bayhawk, particularly as there is no question you are more knowledgeable than I about Holsteiner breeding and I very much appreciate your insight on the subject. However, (I don't want to go back and look for posts of yours wherein you criticize doubling up on Landgraf, but...) here is a post of yours from yesterday:

                                "The grandfather Loutano is inbred to Landgraf. He is Landgraf / Calypso/Landgraf . Then you have Latino and Lord and then another Landgraf from your mare.

                                People who say they wouldn't hesitate to breed this way or that way don't have to raise , train and sell your horse either.Just my 2 cents......"

                                This sounds EXACTLY like you are against multiple crosses to Landgraf. You don't say anything here about caveats such as "this is only true if your mare has poor hind end conformation" (even though I genuinely believe that is your opinion). I'm not sure why it failed to come across as such, but I believe we are both in agreement that the latter is the case, ie. linebreeding is only problematic in mares with weaknesses that have a good chance of being reproduced through certain linebreeding. (And based on the above post of yours which I quoted, you can't really criticize me for placing a caveat on my statement that I had not mentioned, as you have clearly done the same. I'm just trying to point out that it is rather amusing when the pot calls the kettle black. )

                                As for the Cantoblanco son, it's not really worth arguing about, but you did not say "I will not breed to this", you said, "THEY will not breed this". I am under the impression that a stallion would not have been approved (and made premium, no less) had Dr. Nissen and colleagues not thought he was worth breeding to. I don't really see how you can argue against this statement. You thought they would approve him and then never breed him? This seems like a poor business model to me; breeders in Holstein are smarter than that.

                                I would love to hear your thoughts on Cancara, honestly. You can certainly provide more informed insight for potential breeders than I can.
                                again , you mis-read the post. The question was not about Landgraf.......it was about Ladykiller xx. Hence the addition of Latino and Lord in my response.

                                you have alot to learn about the Holstein approvals. They approve stallions every year that they have no intentions of ever breeding to. They approve some for other countries to breed with and to make money in the auction. I certainly would never breed with Cantolus (unless I had a total outcross mare) and I am certain he will get next to no mares from breeders in Holstein should he be available. His entire pedigree is the same with the exception of the very top line coming from Canto.

                                I think folks should make their own determinations regarding Cancara. I provided a little help with the indices and folks can contact breeders who have used him.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X