• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Educate me on crossing full Saddlebred with Oldenburg breeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me on crossing full Saddlebred with Oldenburg breeding

A few days ago, on a Facebook group I belong to, a video of a nice looking colt was posted. Nice mover. So I started looking into his breeding. When I see a nice horse I often look into who mom and dad are for future reference.

I was surprised to see that the colt was out of a full saddlebred. The mare is "Approved: ISR/OLDna, RPSI" and the stallion is a registered Oldenburg. I haven't seen a cross to a full saddlebred before.

Are there many breeders who are breeding full saddlebred crosses? If so what are the reasons? What would a breeder be looking to add with saddlebred blood? And what discipline would that breeder likely be marketing to?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Why don't you ask Formossus. She posts on this board. She bred some very nice saddlebred mares to warmblood stallions and always got very good looking foals. I'm sure she will be happy to give you her toughts about it.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Comment

Also ASBjumper who posts here. She has bred several and they are outstanding! I think there is alot of mis-information where is comes to ASBs.

Comment

And realize that there was some Saddlebred blood bred into the Dutch Harness horses - it doesn't always work, but when it does, I believe the goal was to add more front action. Many of the Saddlebreds have nice shoulders and lots of action, so if you can improve the hind end with the WB, you can end up with a very flashy horse.

Not all Saddlebreds are created equal

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for the input so far, I've PM'd Formossus and ASBjumper, I was very impressed with the colt's video and wanted to know more about the cross from a wider audience as I haven't seen any in person and am unfamiliar and wanted to educate myself!

Comment

I'm also interested in this...I don't doubt the quality that the ASB are producing.

My question is how does an ASB mare become approved by the ISR/NA? From looking at their mare pages, Saddlebreds aren't listed as an eligible bloodline/registry. So, how can a foal from an ASB mare by an approved ISR/NA stallion become a Premium ISR/NA foal?

Link: http://www.isroldenburg.org/?pid=mares_eligibility
            At the bottom, there's a section called "Approved Registries + Bloodlines"

Certainly not trying to stir any pots here, just genuinely curious. Would such a foal, if a filly, then be eligible for approval/breeding down the road?

Thanks!
            TPR!
            Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc
            www.goodhorse.org

Comment

Originally posted by echodecker View Post

My question is how does an ASB mare become approved by the ISR/NA? From looking at their mare pages, Saddlebreds aren't listed as an eligible bloodline/registry. So, how can a foal from an ASB mare by an approved ISR/NA stallion become a Premium ISR/NA foal?

Certainly not trying to stir any pots here, just genuinely curious. Would such a foal, if a filly, then be eligible for approval/breeding down the road?

Thanks!
              ISR wil approve anything - it is no different then RPSI or AWS. And the ISR foal can be a premium.

I should clarify - Old/ISR is kind of split into two registries - Oldenburg and International Sporthorse Registry. Oldenburg requires both mares and stallions be within certain Warmblood lines. ISR allows the mares to be anything - as long as the stallion is registered and approved Old/ISR. The foals are all presented at the same time, but the ISR gets a different brand then the Old, and they are in different "books". But premiums are still awarded to the foals, irregardless of whether they are Old or ISR. I've seen Arabs, Paints, QHs, grade mares all go through and get approval from ISR.

RPSI is basically the same, they also use different books and a different brand.

AWS uses different "books" as well.

Most Warmblood registries are really not 'pure breed' registries, they document bloodlines and focus on performance.
              Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Nov. 12, 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by echodecker View Post
                I'm also interested in this...I don't doubt the quality that the ASB are producing.

Thanks!
                As MOR said, ISR will approve anything. Whether the mare will be ISR Pre-Mare Book or Mare Book depends on % TB blood, since TB is approved bloodlines. If someone just said Oldenburg (I always assume OldNA if someone doesn't say GOV) then they would have been mistaken.

Good quality Saddlebreds will have a very uphill nature and very active hind ends. They can refine well without reducing the power of a heavier warmblood and help add activity in back as well if the WB is more of a heavy, powerful but toe-dragging type. Saddlebreds tend to have less mobile backs so that's where the WB can help. They also tend to have great temperaments and a lot of trainability, though not for everyone of course.

I know some breeders use saddlebreds whose bloodlines they know inside and out, and they go for the best of those specific lines, not because they're saddlebreds but because they're qualities they want from those specific horses.
                If Kim Kardashian wants to set up a gofundme to purchase the Wu Tang album from Martin Shkreli, guess what people you DON'T HAVE TO DONATE.
                -meupatdoes

Comment

There are Saddlebreds and there are Saddlebreds

If you sort through the mares available in any breed you will find mares who are sport horses and non sport horses. There are MANY fewer sport horses Saddlebred types than there used to be but they are out there even still. The problems using Saddlebreds that are not sport horse type is the same as any non sport type mare fom any breed. The mare is MORE than 50% of the final picture. You don't get a 50/50 split of the charecteristics...you get a 50/50 split of the genetics but you can end up with just as or more prepotent a Saddlebred as a warmblood stallion and the positive charecteristics can contribute to a positive result or the negative charecteristics really truely mess you up.

If you have 10 mares you can have 1 great foal with the best of both and 9 where the mix is not so good and a range in between. Bad traits are genetic sway back, zero width of chest, knock kneed, toes out, very long weak loined back and then charecteristics that are wanted in a Saddlebred like a long narrow head with a snorty roley looking eye, straight walled feet so you can lengthen the foot etc. They are not traits appreciated in warmbloods. If you have a true sport type mare and you know the produce of the dam and know the produce of the sire you have a better chance of predicting the offspring.

What is interesting is that dressage warmbloods at the top of performance have an increasing amount of snort and action...Saddlebreds have snort and action maybe you will win in the cross. If you love the look and mind of Saddlebreds...I loved the Saddlebreds of the 60s and before...then I think buying a cross would be a better idea than gambling on the cross as a breeder but that is usually the case with outcrosses. PatO

Comment

We are dedicated Saddlebred breeders taking lines to produce dressage horses and eventers. I've been breeding now for about a decade and could say the lure of using Saddlebred is that they are a hot blooded breed that performs as an excellent refiner. They are really nice horses to work with.

Our 'test subject' is a two year old purebred Saddlebred filly (Fame's Nitro/I Ring Bells/Wildmoor's Buccaneer) that we bred for dressage; she has received good scores and comments which is very encouraging. She is being bred to Regal Poetry in Motion (Pommery/Salute/Donnerall) and we'll see how it turns out.
                    Last edited by silvia; Nov. 12, 2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I have one, he is five and we evented Novice this year and will move up to Training in the spring. He is a gorgeous jumper and a lovely uphill mover. He has a wonderful temperament and is easy easy to work with. Highly recommend the cross.
                      www.rockhillfarm.net

Comment

I shopped and shopped for a Saddlebred cross that I could play around with dressage- couldn't find too many out there. As others have said, sometimes you get a mix of the good and bad parts comformationally speaking.

I was looking for the mind and front end of a saddlebred with the hind end and back of a warmblood. No luck in finding that.
                        "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
                          I shopped and shopped for a Saddlebred cross that I could play around with dressage- couldn't find too many out there. As others have said, sometimes you get a mix of the good and bad parts comformationally speaking.

I was looking for the mind and front end of a saddlebred with the hind end and back of a warmblood. No luck in finding that.
                          I understand what you're trying to look for, but I'm not sure that as a breeder that would be a suitable result. Saddlebreds have a different shape because they're built to ride and drive, and under saddle they are built to be multi-discipline and multi-gaited.

They are hotbloods with no draught breeding. Their movement and action comes from being built light and agile. The shoulder structure is different, and the back is different as well, with their wither being extraordinarily long and well into the back past the shoulder.

Basically the Saddlebred works by being a lithe beast, put a lot of bulk on it and you lose the magic, unless you can get lucky and compensate somehow with the right stallion. Even the stallion we are breeding to (Warmblood) is very modern and similar fronted so we keep it light. The Friesian cross works because they have similar conformation and front especially the more modern type, just more bone/heavier movement.

So if you're going to look for the cross look for something with modern light Warmblood and you might have more luck; I would personally avoid anything that looked too heavy. having said that, I am sure now someone will prove me wrong by producing a sensational heavy type cross

Comment

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post

http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/H...4&UserID=13482

Comment

The Dutch have used Saddlebreds in their Dutch Harness Horse breeding program, and a few that have not made it as Harness Horses have "leaked" into the dressage and jumper rings.

In 2008 a 1/2 Saddlebred stallion made it to the performance test for Dutch Harness Horse stallions in Holland. JZ Lightning is his name. Here is a photo of him as a 3 year old http://www.tuigpaarden.net/bestanden..._ids_03_08.pdf The text says he has a good front end but his throatlatch could be finer and croup is somewhat flat. He has good bone in his legs and his hooves are well developed. The trot has good attitude and hind end usage and foreleg is enough. This is his pedigree http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/405395

These are the 2 Saddlebreds most used by the Dutch:

Holland's Golden Boy
                              http://www.horsetelex.com/horses/pedigree/405395
                              http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003457
                              Much of his popularity has to do with the fact that he is palomino. Several of his offspring and further descendants went on to be jumpers or dressage horses. He had 2 KWPN approved sons, Kentuckyboy and Modern. He appears in the extended pedigree of Cream On Top http://www.creamontop.nl/, Allegria of ESBI http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...lion-licensing, and Zion-JC http://kwpn-na.org/stallions/details...d=494&catid=33

Immigrant
                              http://www.horsetelex.com//horses/pedigree/14937
                              http://hengsten.kwpn.nl/openbaar/abo...nr=H0000003315
                              http://www.hbcstal.nl/index.php?core...91;template]=4
                              This is truly a very well bred stallion who would have been a successful Saddlebred breeding stallion had he stayed in America. He sired the KWPN approved sons Majesteit (who is now in America) and Marvel http://www.hbcstal.nl/index.php?core...91;template]=4, and is dam-sire to the approved stallion Tempelier. You do see some of his further descedents doing dressage or being used for dressage breeding, such as these mares Waroniem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckn39SrKIRc and Zeleen http://www.melissen.nl/nl/photos/sea...eleen&x=11&y=7 both granddaughters.

Comment

Several Dutch Harness Horse breeders in Holland are experimenting with breeding their mares to Sir William Robert. 2 Sir William Robert sons took part in the keuring process this year.
                                http://www.willowbankfarm.com/sir_william_robert.asp

In Holland they also have the 1/2 Saddlebred stallion A New Day
                                http://www.horsetelex.com//horses/pedigree/392738
                                This article says that his owners are using him for breeding despite the fact that he was not approved by the KWPN and they are showing him http://www.tuigpaarden.net/nieuws_de...=117&jaar=2008

Comment

Originally posted by Renae View Post
                                  Several Dutch Harness Horse breeders in Holland are experimenting with breeding their mares to Sir William Robert. 2 Sir William Robert sons took part in the keuring process this year.
                                  http://www.willowbankfarm.com/sir_william_robert.asp

In Holland they also have the 1/2 Saddlebred stallion A New Day
                                  http://www.horsetelex.com//horses/pedigree/392738
                                  This article says that his owners are using him for breeding despite the fact that he was not approved by the KWPN and they are showing him http://www.tuigpaarden.net/nieuws_de...=117&jaar=2008
                                  I absolutely love how sensations the DDHs are - however I have to say from the videos I have seen, there is definitely a major focus on the TROT, you don't really get to see sales videos where you can see walk and canter, let alone if they are of any quality.

The concern for me is it's easy to work on the trot, but if there is no focus on the walk and canter then it is a fair bit harder if you're planning to breed for dressage.

When shopping it was an absolute bear to find colts with video of walk and canter.

I know this kind of breeding and cross has been successful in dressage, but I think you'd want to be careful to know what the breeder was trying to achieve, or just hope to get lucky when shopping

Comment

Silvia I was just showing some of the cross breeding that has been done in Europe with Saddlebreds. The base of the Dutch Harness Horse breed is the Gelderlander, it gives people an idea of how a Saddlebred crosses with a traditional European type. All of the negative things you are pointing out about Dutch Harness Horses I have also heard people say about Saddlebreds over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
                                      I have one, he is five and we evented Novice this year and will move up to Training in the spring. He is a gorgeous jumper and a lovely uphill mover. He has a wonderful temperament and is easy easy to work with. Highly recommend the cross.
                                      I'll vouch for this one - I"ve seen him in person competing. If you didn't "know" that he had Saddlebred you wouldn't guess it at first glance. Lovely mover, lovely jumper, bold, good action but not too much and fantastic temperament. He's going to go places . Back in the early 90's there was a saddlebred that competed in Jacksonville area in hunters and did pretty well believe it or not.
                                      Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, RPSI, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Renae View Post
                                        Silvia I was just showing some of the cross breeding that has been done in Europe with Saddlebreds. The base of the Dutch Harness Horse breed is the Gelderlander, it gives people an idea of how a Saddlebred crosses with a traditional European type. All of the negative things you are pointing out about Dutch Harness Horses I have also heard people say about Saddlebreds over and over again.
                                        Sorry if they seemed negative, just my observations. The Saddlebreds get just as much from me in that regard as the DHH do - it took me years to pick out a colt to import because it seemed every single photo and video only ever showed the trot. Yes they have fabulous trots Just need to see the rest!

Comment

Working...
                                        X