• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jumper Stallion suggestion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumper Stallion suggestion

I am looking for a fresh semen, good modern stallion that will not produce a lot of white or add a lot of white. Has to move well enough to do dressage. Color does not matter. My mare is a mulit-in hand sport horse champion but a little older style with average length of leg. Has good conformation, movement, power and jump. I see A LOT of new stallions that are awesome but also a lot of white.
    Last edited by Gayle in Oregon; Oct. 31, 2012, 09:59 PM. Reason: forgot

-
    Originally posted by Gayle in Oregon View Post
    I am looking for a fresh semen, good modern stallion that will not produce a lot of white or add a lot of white. Has to move well enough to do dressage. Color does not matter. My mare is a mulit-in hand sport horse champion but a little older style with average length of leg. Has good conformation, movement, power and jump. I see A LOT of new stallions that are awesome but also a lot of white.
    Escudo II is a modern type, dark brown foals/black even sometimes. Good mover, but not a dressage horse. You say you wanted a jumper stallion suggestion that has no white and does not produce white. Fresh semen from Calif.

Or try Rubignon--dark bay, no white, but not a jumper stallion.

I think you will need to go one direction or the other--they don't make stallions that produce both dressage and jumping any more unless they are just ones that just are all-arounders with no noted children in either sport. Sure, the stallion owners will tell you they do both--but I don't think anyone really believes that any more unless they "need to".
    Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Comment

Are you wanting a true JUMPER, or a hunter type?

Rising Star Farm has some dark colored jumper stallions with little or no white. Dreamscape Farm has Novalis. Some of the Sandro Hit sons jump pretty well, although most (all?) of them are more suited for dressage (Sure Hit has played around in the hunters and did fairly well for his first year out). And there are some dark coated jumper types at the current 70 day test at Silver Creek.

Comment

I have had two Landkoenigs, one is grey (with no markings) the other is blood bay with one sock and a small stripe out of a plain bay mare. My fillies are modern, with a good length of leg, and have exceptional attitudes.

Our Escudo II colt is chestnut with 3 socks and a star/stripe (his leg markings are identical to his dam) so, it's hard to say where the white came from.

Working with Edgar is a pleasure and the semen quality is always fantastic. He has always been excellent at making stallion suggestions and I'm sure could steer you in the right direction in regards to any of his boys.

Good luck with your mare!
        Nani Lio Farm, LLC
        www.naniliofarm.com

Comment

My stallion, Contempo (Contender x Polydor) is very modern, extremely athletic, homozygous for black/bay (no chestnut foals) and doesn't seem to throw much chrome. I actually like the chrome, but it seems to mostly come from the dams with him. The 6 foals he has on the ground for us, only 2 have any measure of chrome, one thanks to mom, one a fluke blessed by the chrome fairy from two mostly black parents.

He actually could be a dressage horse with his ground covering gaits, but he jumps like a freak and that's what I do, so jumper it is! He has just successfully moved up to 1.40m (4'7") with me, his ammy owner, in spite of being blind in one eye and not starting showing until 2010. He has met his performance requirements for lifetime approval with ISR/OldNA, and will be presented to sBs next week. I have not offered him publicly before, only to friends, but am considering doing so in 2013. am at work but will try to remember to post new pics from the 1.40m classes when I get home.

We also just discovered that he has a super motherline, and his dam is a very good producer, with nearly all her offspring being GP horses, and one daughter producing an approved stallion in Germany.
          Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

What is your mare's pedigree?
            Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
            " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
            Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Comment

I think you will need to go one direction or the other--they don't make stallions that produce both dressage and jumping any more unless they are just ones that just are all-arounders with no noted children in either sport. Sure, the stallion owners will tell you they do both--but I don't think anyone really believes that any more unless they "need to".
              There are quite a few stallions out there that have produced (or are in the pedigree up close) of both. Contender, Contendro, Voltaire, Goodtimes, Beach Boy, Nimmerdor, the G-line....
              Of course they are older because it takes a while for the offspring to prove themselves. Any younger stallion will not have odd enough offspring to prove what they can produce. Look at the Sandro line, were suppose to be jumpers and now they have a very successful dressage line.

Adding jumper to dressage lines is the norm. I wouldn't want to add a pure dressage line to a jumper line but you can find a jumper stallion with gaits. Kannan is on the top ten sire list for jumping and eventing.
              And if a person is asking a horse to do both, they are probably not Eric, Ward or Steffen so they can have a goal of a really nice horse, not the freak at the top of one sport. Grand Cru was more of less bred for dressage, his sire was a jumper but his dam produced Walk on Top. He is becoming an excellent dam sire, with his mares having a 10 jump but producing dressage prospects. (There are usually a couple in the Hano stallion licensing).

Comment

Originally posted by stoicfish View Post
                There are quite a few stallions out there that have produced (or are in the pedigree up close) of both. Contender, Contendro, Voltaire, Goodtimes, Beach Boy, Nimmerdor, the G-line....
                Of course they are older because it takes a while for the offspring to prove themselves. Any younger stallion will not have odd enough offspring to prove what they can produce. Look at the Sandro line, were suppose to be jumpers and now they have a very successful dressage line.

Adding jumper to dressage lines is the norm. I wouldn't want to add a pure dressage line to a jumper line but you can find a jumper stallion with gaits. Kannan is on the top ten sire list for jumping and eventing.
                And if a person is asking a horse to do both, they are probably not Eric, Ward or Steffen so they can have a goal of a really nice horse, not the freak at the top of one sport. Grand Cru was more of less bred for dressage, his sire was a jumper but his dam produced Walk on Top. He is becoming an excellent dam sire, with his mares having a 10 jump but producing dressage prospects. (There are usually a couple in the Hano stallion licensing).
                she wants fresh semen--so mentioning Kannan and others whose semen has to be imported frozen doesn't help.
                Discipline is the Bridge between Dreams and Accomplishments

Comment

Sure it does. Those are lines that are known for both and they have offspring here in NA. Buschkn has a stallion that has those lines standing here, as she mentioned. There is a Kannan son standing here in Canada that is jumping 1.5m and is only 8 years old. The E-line Hanoverian as well as the G-line typically can do both. Viva Voltaire is a producer of both (but maybe not modern). Consul , Riverman were stallions with the lines above that were available fresh. Lots of stallions here that are those lines that can be looked at in NA, it is easier to name the older ones because they are proven.
                  Ramiro is another line that is good for both.

Comment

• Original Poster

Mare's father is Dynamic by Dynamo. He was a 7/8 full brother to Dollar Girl and he was a jumping freak and also a good elastic mover so he was more trianed for dressage and not jumped after his approval..what a waste...he was mine :-) THe mares mother was a French T/B who was a super/super athlete. I bred the mare for whom I am seeking a stallion and she has 12 in hand championships in USDF and hunter in hand. She was a talented hunter but never shown due to injury from which she recoverd as is still sound but a brood mare at 15yo. She has a fantastic Sagnol filly this year which is her first real wamblood and it is a USDF Champion and shows a lot of early jumping apptitude. The mare produced the National CHamp half Arab Sport Horse this year, Born on the Bayou. SHe had been hard to settle so I bought the Arab to use on her pasture breeding and it worked and she has settled with shipped semen twice since the Arab was born. I have had NO, NO luck with frozen and wont waste time and money on it again. She just does not like it for some reason.

Comment

What about Ragtime?

He is not a jumper stallion obviously - but he has done the hunters and could throw dressage movement along with the hunter jump..

Comment

Couer D' Amour is a nice thought.
                        http://www.hphanoverians.com/coeur-d-amour.html

Or, perhaps Lintas
                        http://michigansporthorse.com/LINTAS.html

Always loved the movers that Cathalido put on the ground.
                        http://www.mistyriverranch.com/with_...t_2012_006.htm
                        Tracy Geller
                        www.sixpoundfarm.com
                        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Here are a couple photos of my boy and I at 1.40m, which is obviously still easy for him. I also like to Couer D'Amour suggestion. Looks like a lovely horse. Banderas and Bon Balou in Canada seem to be nice stallions but are definitely chromey. Maybe there will be some other nice new boys coming through the 70dt for you to consider? Your mare sounds great, best of luck finding the right match!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TempoWow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	9135307 Click image for larger version

Name:	TempoTriple.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	9135308
                          Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

Lagoheidor. Has done it himself and produced upper level competitors in both dressage and jumping. Has a weeny star.
                            www.juniperridgeranch.us
                            Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

• Original Poster

NICE !!!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I have looked and looked at him. Love his full bro of course. I will contact his owner for sure. He is quite modern looking and handsome as well as athletic.

Comment

• Original Poster

Group, you are awesome to be so helpfull. Thanks and keep the ideas coming. I am learning a lot. I am a dressage person so its great to get help here.

Comment

Another that comes to mind is Concerto Grosso.

Comment

Imothep
                                      Hyperion Stud, LLC.
                                      Europe's Finest, Made in America
                                      WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
                                      Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

Comment

Originally posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
                                        Imothep
                                        Love Imothep!

Comment

Working...
                                        X