• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

young horse with fatigue... Interesting update!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• young horse with fatigue... Interesting update!

I have a 4 year old that just started his jumping training.

He is a very laid back horse and gets tired easily.

Doesn't have to be lunged and needs a lot of leg!

We took him to his first show last week and he did a warm up day one, then 2 jumping classes each day. ( 2 days)The last day he was very tired and you could tell his efforts were blah. The first day he was unbelievable, jumped amazing and had great energy.

I know he needs to get more fit, and that takes time, but because he is young and still growing is there something I can give him to help with his stamina?

Also muscle fatigue? I don't want to do anything unhealthy for him and I know he does have to develop, but would a muscle and energy supplement help?

Is there something out there that targets both muscle help and fatigue?

He is on Bermuda hay, alfalfa pellets and triple crown complete right now. I don't give him alfalfa hay only because he won't eat the Bermuda if I do.
    Last edited by Samotis; Oct. 28, 2012, 04:33 PM.

4 is hard!!! I remember going to watch Cielo B at his first shows and being horrified that he was soooo tired on day two that he could.not.get.over.the.jump! Growing is exhausting for young Warmbloods

I'm experiencing some of that now with my 4 three year old stallions. They have forward and go one day and the next day, I can't tell them "good boy" because they collapse into a heap!

It sounds like your feeding program is pretty good. It's really just a stage - I find the fall to be the growthiest time and therefore the most exhausting for the youngsters.

Edited to add - some gentle hill work and a consistent feed program is your best strategy.
    I'd recommend just sticking to your program and letting him grow up.

good luck! I'm sure next year you'll be posting that he's a fireball!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I wish he was more of a fire ball!

Wow, his jump on day one felt like a million bucks!

I really think it is just fitness because he has just begun his training. I only rode him at home a few times a week before and now he is getting worked 6 days a week, so it is completely understandable.

It's hard with the babies because you want them a little fresh so no lunge, but then if they are too fresh they can be a little, well interesting.

I might see if my feed store has the Triple crown in a higher energy formulation then the complete. He used to get progressive nutrition when he was a baby, but it has become very pricey and the only place that carries it here is 50 miles from my house.

Comment

One of ours went thru a stage like that at 4. Like a teenage boy with nighttime growing pains

DMG really seemed to help

http://www.equinechronicle.com/healt...nd-horses.html

it's real affordable http://www.jeffersequine.com/vita-fl.../equ/cp/V6-D5/

smartpak uses it in their energy formulas also

Our guy really needs his sleep time. He likes his preferred corner of his stall. It's his blankie. Despite tons of turn-out time I always try to bring him in for his naps! He needs his beauty sleep before shows too

It's the growth. Nothing to set off any alarms.
        Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

I have a 3 year old that went through a stage like that in August and September. I think it was a growth stage. I backed off her training in the ring and started trail riding her some, and now she is much better.

My filly doesn't need much concentrate, so I also supplement her with Progressive ProAdd Ultimate, to make sure she gets everything she needs nutritionally. She has an amazing topline.
          Kim
          'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

The best Rx is proper nutrition and time. Those ARE your "muscle and energy supplements"

Don't force his body to your timetable. Adjust your timetable to his body.

What's he eating now?

I promise, when my WB was 4, I was asking the very same question. You can't do anything about it. Fit him up appropriately for his age, but just remember, he IS still growing, and that takes a lot of energy to be done properly

Comment

Samotis, if you're still considering changing his feed, try the Triple Crown 14%. It's a sweet feed, has high protein and high fat, (but very low in fiber, compared to the Complete) and is very high in starch. (38%!) If that doesn't get his engine going, probably nothing would.

Comment

Why would you want to put any horse on a feed that was 38% NSC?

Feeding sugars to get an engine going is not healthy.

I *might* be ok feeding something that high in sugars to a horse working very hard, a high performance horse, a higher level Eventer for example, because he's working hard which offsets some of the high sugars.

But a 4yo who might already be on a balanced diet? No way.

Comment

Fwiw, I went to a talk about nutrition by a local Phd nutritionist, she talked about this very issue, it's common. One of the major causes is dehydration. She recommended that horses be fed 1oz loose salt and electrolytes in their feed daily rather than just relying on their salt block. When most people travel they don't take a salt block with them, and horses don't tend to lick it away from home even if they did. They need salt and more water.
                  On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Just trying to offer a suggestion as the OP specifically mentioned a Triple Crown feed with higher energy. Personally I would not, and never have, fed the TC 14%.

Comment

Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
                      Fwiw, I went to a talk about nutrition by a local Phd nutritionist, she talked about this very issue, it's common. One of the major causes is dehydration. She recommended that horses be fed 1oz loose salt and electrolytes in their feed daily rather than just relying on their salt block. When most people travel they don't take a salt block with them, and horses don't tend to lick it away from home even if they did. They need salt and more water.
                      Good point. I didn't think of that either. We've counted ourselves lucky in that our young horse readily drinks well when on the road. We have salt blocks but always add electrolytes to the feed. And we found that our young horse was very sensitive to sleep issues. He's like that 14 yr old boy, he needs his sleep time. I have seen folks at shows use a mesh cover on stalls to offer the privacy that some horses need to relax.
                      Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

Originally posted by risingstarfarm View Post
                        4 is hard!!! I remember going to watch Cielo B at his first shows and being horrified that he was soooo tired on day two that he could.not.get.over.the.jump! Growing is exhausting for young Warmbloods

I'm experiencing some of that now with my 4 three year old stallions. They have forward and go one day and the next day, I can't tell them "good boy" because they collapse into a heap!

It sounds like your feeding program is pretty good. It's really just a stage - I find the fall to be the growthiest time and therefore the most exhausting for the youngsters.

Edited to add - some gentle hill work and a consistent feed program is your best strategy.
                        I'd recommend just sticking to your program and letting him grow up.

good luck! I'm sure next year you'll be posting that he's a fireball!!!
                        This!
                        Entropy Farm
                        www.entropyfarm.com
                        Home of Roc USA
                        I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Samotis View Post
                          I have a 4 year old that just started his jumping training.

He is a very laid back horse and gets tired easily.

Doesn't have to be lunged and needs a lot of leg!

We took him to his first show last week and he did a warm up day one, then 2 jumping classes each day. ( 2 days)The last day he was very tired and you could tell his efforts were blah. The first day he was unbelievable, jumped amazing and had great energy.

I know he needs to get more fit, and that takes time, but because he is young and still growing is there something I can give him to help with his stamina?

Also muscle fatigue? I don't want to do anything unhealthy for him and I know he does have to develop, but would a muscle and energy supplement help?
                          Really you already know all the answers

Don't judge your 4 yr old by what other 4yr olds may be doing.
                          He's told you that he's tired/out of energy - GOOD boy for trying - now you need to listen & allow him time to grow up, to increase his fitness: sometimes just working them more is NOT the answer, nor is more calories.

By all means supplement properly (what's the nutrient/digestibility analysis on your hay?)

Some horses just don't get there until they're 5 or so ...
                          in the meantime, only do 1 day at the shows.

(I'm assuming you've had a through vet check to rule out heart murmer etc - there are physiological issues that display as fatigue)

Comment

We never show more than a single class on the second day of a show with the young ones. It takes mileage for them to learn to drink enough and sleep enough while in a show environment. Time and mileage and patience are your best allies.
                            Mary Lou
                            http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

• Original Poster

He had a very thorough vet check about 2 months ago and is fine.

I know it isn't a health issue and that he is growing and needs time, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track.

Next show is in 3 weeks and I will play it by ear how many classes I take him in. Baby greens is a division, but if he is getting tired the second day I don't mind scratching.

What Triple crown feed would be better then the complete? I also have the growth for my mare and weanlings, maybe that has more energy?

He eats fine, gets pasture in the morning, hay twice a day and his grain twice a day, so he certainly doesn't miss a meal.

I can also add electrolytes to his watered down grain.

Comment

• Original Poster

Adding that he probably didn't sleep at the show. He hated the closed stalls. He is used to being out all day and in huge covered pipe pens, so he was not happy when he couldn't see the other horses.

He ate ok and drank well, but that certainly could have been the factor the third day of the show.

All of this is experience and hopefully soon he will start to get used to the show stalls/routine.

Comment

Just to rule out any other issues - I would have a full blood screen done on your horse.
                                  We feed AppleADay to all of our horses. That way they get the sodium and electrolythes they need. We don't feed brick or loose salt because sometimes it causes loose stools in the foals and younger horses.
                                  Not sure how big this boy is but horses that are growing do get tired. Same as human teenagers.
                                  Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                                  "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

I suspect the stimulation at the show is more exhausting than the actual work. By the second day he may just be tired from processing everything!

Comment

Originally posted by tucktaway View Post
                                      I suspect the stimulation at the show is more exhausting than the actual work. By the second day he may just be tired from processing everything!
                                      THIS.
                                      Mary Lou
                                      http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

How much Complete is he getting? If he's in good weight and getting at least 5lb then it's doubtful thats a problem. There would be no harm trying him on the Growth if you wanted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X