• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mare Stare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mare Stare?

I really want to sign up with them for next years' foaling. Please tell me your experience with them, was it worth it or not. I found a "Save Local deal" and can get quite a discount if I purchase early.

most importantly, what kind of camera did you use, and were you happy with it, or what would be recommended?

TIA!!

Mare stare was fabulous for me. It allowed me to share my foalings with everyone here for starters. I am on the east coast and my mom is in California so she was able to take the 9 to midnight shift her time and give me a chance to sleep a little during the night. I did not rely on strangers except for brief periods in the afternoon when there were people in the barn.

If you can put the computer in the barn a wired camera is much cheaper. Mine was less than $50.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Thanks to Marestare I was able to be there for my mare's foaling. We had been on watch for weeks and the night she foaled I had fallen dead asleep. Someone from COTH was watching my mare; called me and told me it was time!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Marestare!!!!!

Comment

Springer and Laurierrace... very very cool!!! it's crazy what can occur with technology now a days.

Comment

If you are a breeder, MareStare and a cheap wired camera are the best investments you can make to insure you are there for the foaling.

Their software works well. I have never had any downtime from them. They are available 24/7 for any tech issues you may have and will walk you through putting everything together.

And I, too, have been notified more than once that a mare was foaling when I had fallen asleep at the screen. Once from someone in Switzerland!

Just do it.
          Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Another enthusiastic endorsement for marestare! It was wonderful to be able to share with family and friends. The online community there is so supportive and knowledgeable, too. I ended up watching a lot of other mares while on foal watch for my own and learned a lot.

I found that the real key to getting the most out of the site is to update your thread, which they will start for you once you are online with the camera. Give information about your mares, post updates and pics, too. People become very invested emotionally in your mares and foals and truly care. I received several calls and texts when my mares started foaling just to be sure I was there (I was but it was very comforting nonetheless). What touched me most was all of the support given when one of my foals was sick. She had a very rough first few weeks and I really felt like people out there were pulling for us.

I used a wired camera with an older computer that I could leave in the barn. The marestare software is great and their tech support is awesome.

Comment

Just out of curiosity...does anybody know if you can make marestare private or semi-private? I help teach an equine reproduction class at a local college and my students will be doing foal watch with me next spring. I would love if they could use marestare (instead of my house!) but I'm not sure I really want a totally public cam. Would also be cool for owners of the mares I'm leasing to be able to be a part of the foaling too.
              www.NorthHillFarmNY.com
              Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Another huge thumbs up for MS!! There's nothing better than being able to watch while in the comfort of your own bed, or even a nice cozy bed set up in a tent or trailer outside.

You can indeed make MS a private link such that only folks to whom you've given the link can see it. It's not private such that nobody but you can see it. That's what I did in the beginning, but then decided to make it public. The MS folks have to make the change, and the difference is your cam will appear in the list of public cams for anyone in the world to see.

The technical issues you might run into are largely related to how good wireless/internet service you have at the barn.

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you all! I have to admit, it's really Marestare's *fault* that I have another foal coming, LOL--- watching all the foalings last year!!

I definitely have a computer I can wire up out there, we happen to have a few hanging around

MareStare is currently offering a deal-- $58 for the normal $90 package, so I think I'll jump on that

so, what's the best kind of camera to get??

Comment

Do you have to have internet or high speed internet at the barn ?
                    http://sporthorsesnw.com/
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...01526589966216

Comment

If the computer with internet access is close enough that you can run a hard-wired camera to it, then that is the best way to go to have a good picture. And you do NOT have to spend a lot of money for a camera.

Get one with a wide angle lens so that you can see most of the stall. At least 3.6mm - the smaller the number, the wider the lens. And get a low light cam.

You can find tons of bullet cams with 3.6 or 2.8mm lens and 1 lux light requirements online for well under $100. Then buy a long cord to go to your computer.

If the cam uses an RCA plug, then you will also need to buy a cheap analog video capture device like the Dazzle that you can get here http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details

You can also use a regular web cam with USB hookup if the computer is close enough to the computer for the cords to reach. Although nowadays, you might even be able to find really long USB cords.
                      Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Agreed - if you can hardwire the cam to the computer, that's the way to go. Wireless can work, and work well, IF you have a clear line of site AND don't have to go through any Low E windows. We have low e windows, but otherwise a direct line to the barn. When it was warm enough I could have the window open, even if just a crack to point the antenna out of, it was perfect. But close the window and the signal would freeze every 5 minutes

Comment

I have been looking at Mare Stare as well with a foal coming end of February first part of March.

I live where the only internet we can get is by wifi hotspot. Has anyone ever worked with something like this? If so did it work ok?

We have looked into satellite but the cost is very prohibitive as well as the speeds are not great for the cost.

Comment

• Original Poster

well, turns out I'm in need of a new computer, LOL so I'll be watching for those Black Friday deals

thoughts on this camera that computer savvy son is recommending? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...llance-Cameras

if anyone else is signing up this year, take advantage of this deal:: https://www.savelocal.com/dealslp/of...MGCAGdJ66mTX8y if you share on FB or twitter after you purchase, you'll get a month additional for free!

I know it's still months off, but good luck to all those (including me) expecting a four legged addition in 2013!

Comment

That camera will work fine for you and you won't have to leave any lights on in the barn since it has an IR function that sees in the dark.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks Sonesta, I'm going to order it this week. I'd usually wait till after the New Year, but I'm trying to get organized early, as my husband is seriously ill and I am feeling the need to not have anything left for the last minute (which is how I usually work) just in case .............

Comment

Originally posted by NorthHillFarm View Post
                                  Just out of curiosity...does anybody know if you can make marestare private or semi-private? I help teach an equine reproduction class at a local college and my students will be doing foal watch with me next spring. I would love if they could use marestare (instead of my house!) but I'm not sure I really want a totally public cam. Would also be cool for owners of the mares I'm leasing to be able to be a part of the foaling too.
                                  I have a private system of 4 cameras through a computer in my barn. I can watch on my laptop from anywhere. I have complete control over who can watch which cameras by providing friends and mare owners with personal passcodes. I love having friends and family help with foalwatch, but had concerns about privacy. My system was marketed for security rather than foalwatch. I know Sam's Club (and probably Costco) have similar systems at very reasonable prices. A nice option if you don't want to use Marestare.

Comment

Private and Public Cams

Yes, Mare Stare has public and Private cams. The link is not listed anywhere on the site and only you have access to the cam link, which you can share with anyone you choose.

Thank you for the kind words. We work hard to provide a positive experience for everyone.

Edited to add: HotSpot or Air Card use has been done, but the outcome is dependant on you monitoring your usage. Only have the cam on when you absolutely have to and make us aware at the time of setup that you are limited on speed and usage. We will bump down your settings as much as we can. The feed may be choppy or not as streamlined as you like, but the goal is to see the animal and we usually can provide that much.
                                    Last edited by HeatherSC; Oct. 28, 2012, 05:14 PM. Reason: additional notes added.

Comment

Originally posted by HeatherSC View Post

Edited to add: HotSpot or Air Card use has been done, but the outcome is dependant on you monitoring your usage. Only have the cam on when you absolutely have to and make us aware at the time of setup that you are limited on speed and usage. We will bump down your settings as much as we can. The feed may be choppy or not as streamlined as you like, but the goal is to see the animal and we usually can provide that much.
                                      Thanks! The hotspot we have is unlimited but after a curtain usage they slow our speed don't remember exactly. My husband is the computer geek I just know enough to get by but learning new things everyday!

Comment

This thread is great! I am breeding for the first time this spring and I would love to have the support system that marestare provides.....as long as everyone plays nice! I have read at least one marestare thread that got a little catty. So, if everything goes well and Mother Nature smiles on me, we will be expecting in the spring if 2014, which gives me just enough time to research the best camera i can afford, establish a power source in the barn (battery or small solar panel), and refurbish the foaling stall. Think ill have enough time? Lol . At least I already picked the stallion! I have looked into a few cameras and would love some input.
                                        http://wireless-camera-review.topten...8w-review.html
                                        this is the first camera that I have liked, our Internet is wireless in our house, and I don't think it will extend to the barn (could be wrong though, I haven't checked into that yet) so I am looking into a wireless camera. Also, I would like to have a camera that is compatible with a Mac, pc, or a tablet. I do most of my surfing/work on a tablet but I could use my husbands laptop in a pinch. What do you experts think?

Comment

Working...
                                        X