• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can you breed a small mare and get a nice sized horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you breed a small mare and get a nice sized horse?

I have a lovely TB mare that is small (15.1) and compact - perfect for pony breeding which is why I got her. A friend recently inquired about possibly leasing her to breed to something larger - e.g a warmblood or even TB to get a horse instead of a pony - she asked how big a stallion she should look for - she's not a huge person - would want something around 16H - I had to admit I wasn't sure what to tell her as I hadn't considered such a thing so for those of you with smaller mares or lots more knowledge than me -- what sort of height should I be looking for in a stallion - obviously I don't want a just over large pony or a too small horse. Are there any dangers with a too large foal if stallion is really large or does mother nature keep an eye on these things - currently she throws a nice large pony when crossed with a small pony stallion

Thanks for any help

My mom has a mare that is the same size and her sire was 16.1 & dam was 15.2. We've bred her to 17 & 17.2 hands with foals that are maturing out to be in the 15.3-16.2 range. Her oldest is just 3 but the youngest will probably push past 16.1.

*knocking wood* Foalings are attended, no complications but the possibility exists. Fortunately, she tends to go around 330 days, so the foals are good sized but not huge. This year's colt has never been able to scoot under her belly but he is all legs.

The temptation to breed for a pony is _very very_ large but we keep going with horse stallions as the quandry of what to do with the pony exists...
    Watermark Farm
    Blog
    Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
    You Tube Channel

Comment

We have bred Ironman to a number of smaller mares, 15 h to 15.1 2, and usually get 16 to 16.1 hands, but then he throws size in general-

Nancy
      Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
      www.ironmanonline.com

Comment

maybe!
        When we had Boomer (he was 16.1H o/o a 16.1H dam and 16.3H sire/grandsire) he was bred to 3 mares that were 15.1H: one filly is looking like she will mature at 15.2H and the 2 colts will be about 16.2H. He was also bred to a fourth short mare but that MO has not kept in touch/I have no idea the size of that one (now a yearling).
        Providence Farm
        http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have a small TB mare. Bred her to a 16.3 stallion, as a yearling filly was 15.2 and string tests to 16.2. Her colt this year by a 17hh stallion also looks to go way past her. Both stallions are known to add height. I would not have bred her as a maiden to the larger stallions. Passing the shoulders, have been real work for her and we had to assist this year.
          Epona Farm
          Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Bred a 15.1 quarter horse clyde cross to Daimler a holsteiner (16.2) ..........the filly is now 3 and is 16 hands........thinking she might finish 16.1.

Dalemma

Comment

I've heard the problem with big studs and small mares is usually the stallions penis is too big. However if you're AI, the mares body won't produce a foal she can't carry. Although I wouldn't breed a pony mare to a Clyde or anything I don't see a problem with big stallions and smaller mares.

Comment

Breeding a small horse to a large horse does not make a medium sized horse. As a basic rule of thumb, you have a 50% chance of getting the dam's size (within 1 to 2 inches) and a 50% chance of getting the sire's size (within 1 to 2 inches). To make this a bit unpredictable, some horses genetically throw a size that they are not. My suggestion would be to go with a stallion that consistently produces offspring who mature at height that you are wanting.

For example, my friend bred her 15.2 h TB to two different 17.0 h stallions. The first foal matured to 16.3 h (basically the height of the sire) and the second foal matured to 15.1 h (basically the height of the mare).

Comment

I have personally not seen a correlation to horse size with penis size. There are ponies with huge penises and big horse with little penises.

Originally posted by ThreeBarPocoGal View Post
                  I've heard the problem with big studs and small mares is usually the stallions penis is too big. However if you're AI, the mares body won't produce a foal she can't carry. Although I wouldn't breed a pony mare to a Clyde or anything I don't see a problem with big stallions and smaller mares.

Comment

I agree with the penis issue.

I have a small TB mare and her offspring were all over the board. Your friend should decide that she could be happy with a foal that matures at 15 hands BEFORE breeding. Basically, you just won't know what you will get until it is grown. What is the size in the mare's pedigree?
                    Chris
                    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
                    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Comment

Yup. Do the punnet square. Size is genetic, not quantitative.

My stallion has 16h relatives close up. He is 14.3. Out of the same 16h mare he's thrown 2 16h'ers, and a 14.2. Haven't heard where #4 is, but he was well on his way to 16h last year as a 2yo.

Naturally, the 14.2 was for the tall, leggy rider.

Some stallions do stamp their size more predictably.

You CAN have trouble (foaling) breeding a small mare to a big stallion--but it's far more about bone than actual 'height.' Some not-huge stallions throw very large boned foals, and you *would* want to watch out for that, IMO.
                      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

I bred a 14.3H Anglo Arabian mare to a 17.2H TB (Alota Gator Bait), and got a 16.3H Anglo Arabian gelding.
                        The Inverted Y
                        Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
                        2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
                        www.allanglos.net

Comment

I think speaking with the stallion(s) owner to see what the stallion "typically" throws from a range of mares is a good place to start.

With that being said, at times it's a crap shoot. I have put on the ground 3 full siblings. Sire is maybe 16.1 my mare is 15.2 to 15.3. First baby is 15.2, second (and still growing) is 16.3 and her third, who turned 3 this summer is 16.2 already.

I have two WB mares who are 15.1. My dutch stallion is 17 hands and we have never had an issue with cover and foaling out. He throws SIZE and nearly all of his babies, no matter what the size of the mare, get at or near 17 hands and few have gotten over 17 hands. I have to foals who are out of my 18 hand Irish mare who will no doubt make 18 hands themselves.

I think too that she should look/think about far more then just how big the potential foal may be.

Comment

I bred a 15.2h Han/Arab mare two years in a row to Feiner Stern, who was 17h. I sold the first filly at age 2 and am not sure how tall she ended up, but I still have the second filly. We haven't put a stick on her but she is somewhere between 16h and 16.1h at age 7.

Comment

I have a TB mare who is between 15.1 and 15.2. I bred her to a 16.1 Hanoverian stallion, and the resulting offspring, a mare I still have who is 9 this year, is 16.1.
                              Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                              www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

I think it is not so much the size of the stallion as it is what he produces. Choose a stallion that you know will produce height since a 16.1hh stallion that consistently produces height is a better choice than a 17hh that may or may not. Your mare contributes too so it also depends on the size of horses in her pedigree. Either way, there are no guarantees in breeding for a larger (or smaller) horse.

Comment

My mare is about 15.2h, and I bred her to a 16.1h Lusitano stallion who is known to sire babies that mature 16h to 16.2h. The resulting filly is only 5 months, but I am positive she is going to be taller than her mother, probably 16.1h or so.

My mare is big-boned and wide through the hips, and this was not her first foal. She had no issues whatsoever delivering the filly, but I was present just in case. Had my mare been delicate, I would have been more concerned about breeding to something larger.

Comment

It's always hard to predict size, I agree. We have had some strange cases ourselves - for example, a 16.1h mare and 16.2h stallion and the filly is 14.3 at 2 years. Then a 15.2h mare and 16.3h stallion and resulting filly born same year as the previously mentioned one, is 16h+ at 2 years. Go figure. We all do our best to make an educated guess, but it still can be a crapshoot!
                                    Signature Sporthorses
                                    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

Our best broodmare of all time, Risque', was only 15.2 but she never produced anything under 16 hands - and most were 17+! - from 3 different stallions (for a dozen foals). Her dam was 16.1 and her sire 16.2.

Welt Marke is only 16.1 (sire 16.3; dam 17.2) yet all of the babies we can track are 17 hands or over.

Dr. Roland Ramsauer always said you have to look back 3 generations when looking at size and we found this to hold true in over 20 years of breeding.
                                      Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

PnP Distributors - KUTZMANN Carriages
                                      Ashemont2@gmail.com

Comment

I agree with Pat about looking at the size in her pedigree. My competition mare, 16.1 produced a 17.1.1/4 gelding in Germany, don't know the sizes of the 2 fillies she had, but I have a daughter who is 16.2 (sire is 17.0).

I have another mare who is 16.0, her sister is maybe a tad smaller and a full brother is 17.3, everything my mare produces is very tall, again genetics plays a much bigger part in this and yes, most times it is a crap shoot no matter what you plan.

Comment

Working...
                                        X