• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

IDSH(NA) and IDSH(CAN) Registry's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDSH(NA) and IDSH(CAN) Registry's

I have an IDSH foal that I am going to register. Is one registry better than the other (IDHSNA or IDHSC)? I do plan on cross registering the foal, but am not sure which registry is better as the main registry?

Any advice?

thanks,
    Last edited by Oskar; Aug. 27, 2012, 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Richlands Sport Horses
    http://www.richlandssporthorses.com

I think most of us in the US do the IDSHNA, but those with far more experience than I have should chime in.

Comment

we are all sisters

The central registry for Irish Draught Horses is the Irish Draught Horse Society in Ireland (for purebreds). We are satellites (Canada, US, and also IDHSGB) there is a process going on now to integrate all the societies in the same approval process...Canada and GB seem to have accepted terms and completed the process. At that point there would be some kind of reciprocity between countries. From this point it is political and frustrating. The US has been waiting to see what happens to exising approved horses in the "international" registry and to have the goals of the IDHS in Ireland reflect our desire to preserve traditional type Irish Draughts as opposed to the Warmblooding of the ID. It has been an ackward process at best dealing long distance with the HSI.

If you are registering an Irish Draught Sport Horse it doesn't matter as the Horse Sport Ireland doesn't recognize either registry for IDSH and is unikely to. They call the crossbred an ISH(Irish Sport Horse) and do not limit it to having necessarily ANY Irish Draught blood. Both IDHSCanada and IDHSNA require a percentage of Irish Draught in their registered sport horses. If the sire of your horse was approved ISH in Ireland before export or is approved ISH on performance like Flexible you can pursue registry with HSI(Horse Sport Ireland) good luck with that...I have no experience to offer as I register with IDHSNA...there is no approval process for HSI in the US for the sport horses.

There IS an approval process for IDSH stock in the US and Canada. Both use the inspectors sent from Ireland who also inspect Sport Horses in Ireland. Both Canada and the US provide registration and documentation of breeding of IDSH from approved ID and IDSH stock. The US has an awards program and has held yearly National Shows, I do not believe that Canada does and believe they are primarily concerned with registrations transfers and approvals.

If you intend on inspecting breeding stock or evaluating your stock using the Irish inspectors, which is an interesting process...some inspectors with many years of Irish Draught and Irish Sport Horse lore are treasures. I would choose the registry most likely to have inspections or who have a region that includes your area. There are also regional groups...some are very active with clinics and opportunities to meet. I register in IDHSNA as I live in Minnesota and have local friends in the North Central IDHS region. PatO

Comment

• Original Poster

thank you for the information Pat.

I live in BC, Canada but was originally going to register him with IDSHNA b/c it is a bigger registry than Canada's, but b/c of the harmonization that Canada has done, I thought I better do some more research before I make my decision. My question to both the NA and Can registry's is about their inspection locations and dates. I believe Canada does inspections roughly every 2yrs on the west coast, but I think that it may be hit and miss b/c of demand. The NA registry seems like it may have a better selection of location for inspections than the Canadian registry at this point.
        Richlands Sport Horses

Comment

I'm in a similar situation with eventually 4 IDSH's to inspect. It looks like IDHSNA is only inspecting in KY and MT this year. If MT is closer than a Canadian site maybe you could have her inspected in the US and approved in CA.

I'm not breeding at this time in part because of the registry issues....not breeding anything not eligible for inspection
          I wasn't always a Smurf
          Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

The other problem with the US dragging their feet is they have now said they are not going to do reciprocity with the new inspection scheme as they are not sure how to mesh 2 different grading systems. Canada is having inspections this year, it might be worth going and get first hand info if possible before choosing.
            Epona Farm
            Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I sent you a pm...but decided to just post...because there is some info that needs to be put out:

1.To be inspected the horse has to be over 2 for a mare or 3 for a stallion.

2.If you arent going to be breeding him you dont *need* to be inspected (you can, but dont need it). And since travelling distance is one of your concerns...IMHO ..*if * you are not going to be breeding why bother travelling to get a non breeding horse inspected into a studbook?
              3. Registration options *might*depend on which society the parents are registered with ( I am not sure for your particular situation). As stated above, there are *possible* reciprocal issues with cross registration, no one knows when that is going to be lifted.
              4. For most, registry size isnt going to really matter because both countries have few breed shows and as far as irish horse 'community' goes...we all know each other and most are members of both societies.
              5.Inspection sites are hit and miss in the US and probably a travel nightmare in Canada.

The only thing that matters is if you are planning on having him inspected for breeding (at age 3+). What do you think your future foal buyers want...and then there is the travel implications for yourself AND future foal buyers if they decide to have your horses progeny inspected at some point.

Think about your goals and your future foal buyers goals (if you are breeding). Call BOTH societies and get *accurate* info on your options. I say accurate because harmonization just happened a week ago...none of us really know all the details or implications yet.
              Last edited by Du Hast; Aug. 27, 2012, 04:14 PM.

Comment

No question

Do both but you are in BC and I would just use the IDHSCanada to register and inspect, you can also enroll as a member of the IDHSNA and enroll your horse in awards programs. When there is an inspection you can help determine where it is by being involved and sometimes finding more ID and IDSH in your area to be inspected. We did this in Minnesota...I whined a lot too...we didn't have a stallion but we had a good number of purebreds and partbreds. I don't think there is a huge advantage to registering a sport horse unless you plan on breeding and even then there is an argument to be made about needing inspections at all but personally I would inspect. First it was fun...the more the merrier. It is a very important learning opportunity to go to ANY inspection and most Irish inspectors do a good job and try to make it worth everyones time. I am a good conformation wonk and there was little I didn't see about the horses to be inspected but there were some and they were important. By the way I own a stallion who stood in BC...Beeston Laird...now in Minnesota. As to the issues combining with Ireland there are good reasons to do it and good reasons not to and a lot of passion about every point. This is a breed that people feel very passionate about. The loss of the traditional Irish Draught is hugely important to many of us. Unfortunately Ireland for its own reasons does not seem to share this feeling or at least is certainly not passionate about what an Irish Draught should be. The traditional breeds that made the Dutch and German warmbloods has been lost in large part to the dismay of many people who love that type of sport horse with bone and substance. It is something that makes people crazy to fight for. For your sport horse I would avoid the conflict.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for all the info! I have decided that b/c I live in Canada, I am going register him with IDHSC and then when the time comes have him inspected in Canada.
                  Richlands Sport Horses

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by horsetales View Post
                    The other problem with the US dragging their feet is they have now said they are not going to do reciprocity with the new inspection scheme as they are not sure how to mesh 2 different grading systems. Canada is having inspections this year, it might be worth going and get first hand info if possible before choosing.
                    horsetales, do you know where the inspection in Canada is being held this year? It would be interesting to go, but I havent found any information online about upcoming Canadian inspections.

thanks,
                    Richlands Sport Horses

Comment

I do not know - I have a foal sold to Canada and in conversation the owner said there was an inspection near her around Toronto. Cheryl Anderson with IDHSCa is wonderful and she would be happy to help if you have questions.
                      Epona Farm
                      Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

this years Canadian inspection is Oct 19-20 in the Toronto area...hopefully next year it will make it to BC. Worth going to watch for sure!
                        Richlands Sport Horses

Comment

Working...
                        X