• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doing business with JILL BURNELL? BEWARE.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actually, there is at least one animal who was mired in an awful situation who was getting out and heading into a perfect home...

Comment

• I would be willing to bet that there are only a couple of people who really know the truth about some of this. And those that are spewing off here are not in the know. Some of you folks really need a med adjustment.

Comment

• Ditto, JustaBob.

The OP did a great service by posting in the first place, and the purpose of her posting has thankfully been served.
        There is a separate thread on the Leg Up auction, so those efforts can be followed there. Those who want to track the status of the horses and the JB case could easily follow it at the MCHS or Ratemypro site.

What is transpiring here now serves no good purpose, imo.
        www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
        "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
        Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

• And as someone has said earlier (or several someones), if I decide to breed my mare or buy a baby, I sure know the breeders I WON'T be going to!

So thanks for that at any rate, folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maria View Post
            I would be willing to bet that there are only a couple of people who really know the truth about some of this. And those that are spewing off here are not in the know. Some of you folks really need a med adjustment.
            QFT

Comment

• Originally posted by Justa Bob View Post
              Voting that the thread be locked. This thread is unreal and viscous.
              No, it's a few posters on this thread who are being unreal and viscious, not the thread itself. I'm betting one of Jill's goals will likely be to get this thread shut down or removed, and a few posters are doing a good job of trying to make that happen. In the end, the only person that is going to benefit from that happening is Jill.

At this point, people are upset, sad, angry, frustrated and everybody expresses that in a different way. Add to that the not knowing what is going on, and no information being released and you end up with mass hysteria, more anger, more frustration, more speculations, etc. Unfortunately, this is going to be a long saga, and it would be nice to see this thread quieten down until the parties involved are allowed to release new information. Unfortunately, patience is not always a virtue for most...including myself! It's understandable that people want answers now. But the Marin Humane Society is building a case and Jill Burnell is also building her own case. None of them are going to be releasing information right now. It will all come out in due time.

As Callmeacab said, it has been reported that three of the seized horses are at UC Davis, not just Romantic Star. In a statement released by the Marin Humane Society, they state: "post seizure care is being born by the Humane Society". For anyone who has involvement with Humane Society's, they rely heavily on funds that come in from donations from the general public. Below are the links that allow us, as the general public, to help!

Marin Humane Society Fundraiser:
              http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html

Marin Humane Society Donations:
              https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...0J9MULlIXKjOaF
              www.DaventryEquestrian.com
              Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
              Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
              www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

• it has been reported that three of the seized horses are at UC Davis, not just Romantic Star.
                Daventry, I must have missed this somewhere. Has it been published somewhere that 3 horses had to be taken to Davis or is that just inside info that is now getting out? If so, is there a link? I know the previous articles stated the mares were being cared for at an offsite location, but didn't mention a hospital.

If the above it true (and I believe it completely), then the UC Davis bill is has probably reached or exceeded $30k at least.

Comment

• I recall the Marin Humane Society person specifically writing on this thread that if JB would sell one stallion, she could afford the fencing and things that the humane society wants for the horses' welfare. That is what the MHS wanted her to do. End of story. If she starts taking proper care of the horses then MHS doesn't have to take them on. Obviously they will continue to monitor this situation.

There are many other legal issues that could trip up JB's business and horsekeeping practices. Hopefully she will sell off more stock to comply with land use rules on her land and get a deposit down with a local vet so her animals may receive care when neccessary.

Seizures are not always that great. In Maine we had a horrible situation where an attorney finally got action. The state just euthanized all of the horses, about 50 horses, saying they were all too far gone to be saved. I believe the state just did not want to take on the cost of all of them.

Comment

• The point is if the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated were the ones directly involved it would be understood. But some of the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated are not involved in this one iota. And if the people who are upset, sad, angry, frustrated truly had the horses best interests at heart they would be doing things to help the horses and not their own self interests. I see a lot of self promoting and boosting of self interests in this thread.

Comment

• For those that "thumbs up"ed my post, I deleted it, because I got beyond PO'd, and felt my being so blunt just added to the mess.
                      I will say this... Having had a horse saved by UC Davis, knowing the people involved at MHS, and the immediate area, I feel the confiscated horses cannot be in better hands. I know some of the vets affiliated with these facilities, and they donate their time and hours of effort, because they care.
                      Any horse in such drastic condition as to have to be kept at Davis, is there because it's its last chance to survive. Horses aren't released until they have stabilzed, infection gone, and vital signs are good enough to go back to "at home" care, which can sometimes means a vet seeing the horse several times a day, for a while, afterwards. How do I know all this? Because I've been there, several times over. Anyone who's been there, knows the truth. Those of you lucky enough to have never been through this, stop speculating and throwing out hot air. Please!

Comment

• Um. Gang?

I don't own a mare. I don't own a stallion. I have no plans of breeding anything anytime soon. I have followed this thread since it's beginning and was so thrilled to see something finally happen to help the horses that may need help in this situation. And felt a warm and tingly feeling in my heart when the auction was set up.

But right about now? All you all sound nuttier than squirrel poo. Maybe it's time for everyone to step away from the keyboard for a while. Tensions are high. And all this is taking away from the main focus.
                        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

• RSF is not new to this situation… at the very least she understood what was going on, she has even posted on this thread. She knew how her conduct would come across. What she is doing is a big “[edit]” for those who have stepped up to help and she knows it. Defending what she did is insulting to those who have stepped up… and gave from their pocket books simply because it was the right thing to do, with no benefit for themselves. For the very reasons that ponyponyponi stated, what RSF did is offensive, plain and simple. I would claim authorship of ponyponyponi’s post if I could.
                          ?

She purchased a horse that fit her program. I assume that any one of you could have done the same thing. Purchased the horse to fit your program. I assume by help, you mean you donated, and now your donations can help other horses... or did you just want to help certain horses?

If you wanted the horse, you should have used your pocket book to purchase the horse. You could have helped the horse at the same time.

\You sound easy to offend if someone purchasing a horse out of a bad situation is offensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by COTHalter44 View Post
                            Daventry, I must have missed this somewhere. Has it been published somewhere that 3 horses had to be taken to Davis or is that just inside info that is now getting out? If so, is there a link? I know the previous articles stated the mares were being cared for at an offsite location, but didn't mention a hospital. ...
                            http://www.thehorse.com/articles/311...-breeding-farm

"Marin Humane Society animal service officials have removed one stallion and three mares from a California Warmblood breeding farm in connection with an animal cruelty investigation.

Marin Humane Society Atty. Bruce Wagman said that on Dec. 27, the agency removed the stallion and one mare from the Gray Fox Farm in Petaluma. Two more mares were removed from the property on Jan 4, Wagman said. All the animals were allegedly maltreated at the time of the removal, he said.

"They were all emaciated and the stallion had been in a brutal fight with another stallion," Wagman said. "Also, there was no food or shelter for the horses on the property."

Three of the horses were taken to the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Clinic for treatment, Wagman said; the remaining horse is under care at the Marin Humane Society. All are undergoing rehabilitative care, Wagman said."
                            The virtual "woodshed" seems the only remedy for willful fools .

Comment

• Originally posted by Joanne View Post

"Marin Humane Society animal service officials have removed one stallion and three mares from a California Warmblood breeding farm in connection with an animal cruelty investigation.

Marin Humane Society Atty. Bruce Wagman said that on Dec. 27, the agency removed the stallion and one mare from the Gray Fox Farm in Petaluma. Two more mares were removed from the property on Jan 4, Wagman said. All the animals were allegedly maltreated at the time of the removal, he said.

"They were all emaciated and the stallion had been in a brutal fight with another stallion," Wagman said. "Also, there was no food or shelter for the horses on the property."

Three of the horses were taken to the University of California at Davis School of Veterinary Medicine Large Animal Clinic for treatment, Wagman said; the remaining horse is under care at the Marin Humane Society. All are undergoing rehabilitative care, Wagman said."
                              Thanks Joanne. I have been racking my brain and searching the internet trying to remember which article I saw this fact (3 of the seized horses at UC Davis) stated in.
                              www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                              Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                              Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
                              www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Joanne View Post

Thank you. Only makes me angrier at JB unfortunately.

Comment

• For a point of personal experience and reference for those who don't know. It was 3 months before the mare/foal who fell pray to a similar situation I referenced MANY posts back could return home.

She was probably about a few days away from death and the foal was emaciated as well.

It took weeks of "critical care" (running fluids) and then more months before they were strong enough to make the trailer trip back to me (and that happened in NJ...only about 5 hours away).

And I wept when the walked of the trailer to "home". Baby was "stunted" for his age. A 5 month old that looked like a 2 month old. The mare's topline and back muscle were just GONE. While I got pictures the day of the seizing, I was astounded to think of what I would have done had I been there when they were seized and their condition. It takes a LONG time a lot of time and money to get horses that are so close to death by maltrition back (if one can).

The fact the the mares are still at UC Davis speaks volumes to me about the condition in which they found them. And thank God they did.

NO ONE should underestimate the costs involved. I know. And that was for only one horse and baby who had no "injury".

Just sayin'...
                                  www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                                  "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                                  Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

• Is it possible to split this thread into a "how are the horses doing/how can I help?" side and an "I hate JB and I would like her to _______(fill in the blank) side? It would be easier for some of us to get through things. Perhaps just start another thread?
                                    Cindy Bergmann
                                    Canterbury Court
                                    559-903-4814
                                    www.canterbury-court.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Canterbury Court View Post
                                      Is it possible to split this thread into a "how are the horses doing/how can I help?" side and an "I hate JB and I would like her to _______(fill in the blank) side? It would be easier for some of us to get through things. Perhaps just start another thread?

I couldn't agree more Canterbury Court..... This thread started out with a purpose to inform the people of what was really going on at GFF.

At this point it is in the courts hands and all of the unprofessional, ignorant arguments happening here is completely unacceptable. The right people will get the right horses when the court decides whether any of you agree or not. Use your energy to help the situation instead of falling prey to the bad behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Canterbury Court View Post
                                        Is it possible to split this thread into a "how are the horses doing/how can I help?" side and an "I hate JB and I would like her to _______(fill in the blank) side? It would be easier for some of us to get through things. Perhaps just start another thread?
                                        Well I am pretty firmly encamped on both sides although hate is not a word I like to use as it has been overused to the point it is meaningless. My main concern is seeing justice done for both the humans and equines involved and I hope that I helped towards that goal in some manner.
                                        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Originally posted by Home Again Farm View Post
                                          COTH at its best is a powerful and wonderful thing. At its worst, COTH gives me a giant headache and makes me head for the aspirin bottle. Can we please stop with the speculation, backbiting, innuendoes and keep this thread on track?

For those who do not want anything on the auction site, please consider a donation to Marin County Humane Society. They have a place on their online donation form for a note where you can state that you wish the funds to go towards the case against GFF.

Marin Humane Society Donations:
                                          https://www.kintera.org/site/c.aiIOI...0J9MULlIXKjOaF

If you are breeding, please consider the offerings at the auction:

Marin Humane Society Fundraiser:
                                          http://www.leg-up.org/marin-county-f...tion-page.html
                                          Again, so much worth repeating.
                                          Practice! Patience! Persistence!
                                          http://www.mariposasporthorses.com/
                                          https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses/

Comment

Working...
                                          X