• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doing business with JILL BURNELL? BEWARE.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW, Ronda / Rising Star Farm indicated on her SSA donation forms that her stallions are tested negative for EVA and vaccinated annually, which indicates to me that she is NOT unfamiliar with the disease and well aware of the need to take appropriate preventive measures.

And I, too, am glad RS will be out of the JillB/GFF dump. If only the same could be said for the other horses.

Comment

• Just curious....with all the wellbred healthy, talented stallions available throughout the country, why would anyone breed to a stallion eva positive?
      In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

• Twisted River - consider the following. Most responsible Stallion owners and Stallions Stations require that stallions are vaccinated yearly for EVA. I had Popeye test in Germany before importation - he was negative and he has been vaccinated yearly since he started standing at stud. The EVA vaccine is a LIVE vaccine so specific protocol has to be followed specifically with respect the 30 days post vaccination.
        Given the fact that Redwine is EVA pos and sheds in his semen other protocol applies to when the semen is collected, prepared and shipped. Information is available on the internet about this. Specifically EQUIPMENT used on that stallion should be completely seperate from that used on other stallions. The photos of Jill's "lab" at her last farm and ones of this farm are not what I would ever accept for semen that I would want for my mares.
        I also have sat down and calculated what it costs us per mare and foal and horses and ponies yearlings and older per year and it is a rather significant amount of money. Throw in Coggins, trims, teeth, worming, etc. and the number grows. We feed the best feed and buy high quality have and do have pasture turn out for all of ours on the farm.
        Applying those same costs per horse/pony to the numbers that GFF has been stating 30-35 per year - and the cost is easy to calculate. The photos of her last farm and this setup is, IMHO unacceptable and clearly shows that lack of funds may be an issue. In that regard, it would not be un-reasonable to expect that horses/ponies may not have received proper innoculations, food, worming, etc. This is not piling on or attempting to affect anyone's breeding business - it's just comparing the existing conditions with what is acceptable for the industry and coming to the conclusion that the horses/ponies are being short changed and buyers should consider that.
        Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
        "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

• Originally posted by minnie View Post
          Just curious....with all the wellbred healthy, talented stallions available throughout the country, why would anyone breed to a stallion eva positive?
          Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. And because Jill has in the past blown off concerns by mare owners - many of whom are novice enough to not know about or understand the disease. (Not to mention she has even gone so far as to tell some of them they didn't need to worry about vaccinating their mares, as they would be "naturally vaccinated" against EVA by breeding to Redwine.)

Comment

• if Redwine and Aloha were imported in '09 as indicated here
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/grayfoxfarm/page7/ -- this whole decline was quite rapid
            Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

• [QUOTE=DownYonder;6773636]Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. QUOTE]

So for someone who once told me no one was bashing stallions, this is what I was referring to. He is a talented boy and many many have come on here to say that besides me.

Comment

• Originally posted by horsenut93136 View Post
                Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days.
                So for someone who once told me no one was bashing stallions, this is what I was referring to. He is a talented boy and many many have come on here to say that besides me.
                Unbunch your panties. Geez.
                How is saying he is black and blingy and it is all the rage bashing anyone?
                It is a fact. Horse is black and blingy and it is all the rage.

Comment

• So glad that Romantic Star will have a great home when he recovers.
                  This must be a nightmare for Rising Star farm, to have him injured before she could get him out of there.

Comment

• [QUOTE=horsenut93136;6773648]
                    Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                    Because he is black and blingy, which is all the rage in the hunter breeding world these days. QUOTE]

Hmm, I guess it would depend on what one's definition of "talented" is. I know folks who think he is the bee's knees for siring line horses, or low-level hunters (3 ft or under), but also know other folks who think he is seriously lacking in scope and ability for upper level hunters. If that is "bashing", so be it...

Comment

• Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                      Unbunch your panties. Geez.
                      How is saying he is black and blingy and it is all the rage bashing anyone?
                      It is a fact. Horse is black and blingy and it is all the rage.
                      Geez back at you. Yes I forgot the other part of that to put it in context "why would anyone breed to RW" so yes that is a negative response unless you added to it "and also has done well in the hunter ring" or something of that sort.

It's insulting to people that have bred to RW because I'm pretty sure the people on this board who used him did not do it simply because they wanted black and blingy, unless you want to call them all stupid.

Comment

• Holy crap this thread is long, the info gets lost... need an update or a 'cap' page every so often. What happened to Equine DRiver? Where is Redwine?

So glad Romantic Star is landing with Ronda.

Comment

• I said it earlier and I'll say it again. I don't really care how Romantic Star ended up at Ronda's. I think it will be a fantastic place for him. Her facility is beautiful and her horses are very well cared for. As a stallion owner, she is professional, organized and easy to talk to. She's been on the board of a few registries and was helpful as a representative of those too. If you enter into a contract with her, you can know she's going to try her hardest to honor it.

I think Romantic Star will flourish there and I'm thrilled to see him going to a program where people won't be scared off by the creepy stallion owner.

I do hope she'll get separate legal counsel, if it turns out that she needs it. Never occoured to me that people were getting confused between Rising Star and Rising Phoenix, but when I started hearing people throwing all those allegations out there, I was scratching my head because I've always thought very highly of Ronda and RSF, and she's very well respected around here (Jill, not so much!) The case of mistaken identity makes a lot more sense.
                          The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

• I also fail to see how saying a horse (stallion) is black, blingy, and that that's all the rage in the hunter breeding ring is a disparaging or bashing remark. Mare owners breed to him to capitalize on that bling in order to have a better chance (hopefully) in the line classes. Nothing wrong there.

I wholly remember the EVA discussion where it was said not to worry because the mares would then have natural immunity. THAT is where the issue comes in.
                            "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

• I hope that if a check was written for Romantic Star that there was also an insurance policy put in place. It's also possible that the new owner is using Jill's lawyer, because for one, she is close to the situation, and two, if there was/or is going to be a payment for RS, that is also quite probably the lawyers payment too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenike View Post
                                I'm not a stallion owner, but I'm also another one who is wondering about the silence from RSF on the purchase of a known stallion that was seized after the purchase is said to have taken place. Maybe it really WAS legit, just coincidental with the timing...

but Wellington has Internet, there are plenty of smartphones around, and the grapevine would be VERY obvious about now.

RSF's Facebook page said they were heading to Wellington six days AFTER Romantic Star was seized. She had to know. But while a hint was made on the 17th, no further mention has been made. At all. Why?

It's just a curious thing to me...
                                I am, thank goodness, not a horse professional so shouldn't ever have to be in a situation like this. But, for other professional dealings I've seen go sour, the absolute most common advice given is to *not* say a word until all legal "i"s are dotted and "t"s crossed. So, there's one plausable explanation.

Seriously, think back to other trainwrecks on this very BB. How many people have actually, truly helped themselves by coming on here and trying to give their side of the story? And, of those, how many were able to do so without being treated roughly by at least some individuals? Personally, if I ever have anything happen to me, a public BB is the absolute last place I'd want to discuss it.

I hope this mess gets sorted out soon, and the animals all have a soft landing.
                                ---------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by SGray View Post
                                  if Redwine and Aloha were imported in '09 as indicated here
                                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/grayfoxfarm/page7/ -- this whole decline was quite rapid
                                  According to her website, JB had foals in 2008 from Redwine. Looks like he was imported in 2007, or maybe late 2006.

IMO, something is NQR about the whole RS purchase.

Comment

• Originally posted by SGray View Post
                                    if Redwine and Aloha were imported in '09 as indicated here
                                    I bought 3 breedings from Gray Fox Farm in 2009 and she had Aloha and Redwine at that time. It wasn't too long after I'd paid for them that I started hearing rumblings, just little bits here and there ... but what can you do? I went ahead with breeding 2 of my mares to Romantic Star knowing that all was well at my end. As time went on I heard more and more 'talk'. I also started having problems dealing with Jill around that time and that's why I decided not use my 3rd breeding. However ... until the pictures on this thread were released I never in a million years could have imagined such disgusting working conditions and had I known previously then of course I would not have sent a penny to Jill Burnell. I do not keep my horses in such conditions and I certainly did not suspect that Jill, with as many people vouching for her as against her, would either.

Comment

• Originally posted by lauriep View Post
                                      This is not a particularly hospitable bunch here, so I can understand Ronda not wanting to post her business here. She has been a well respected breeder and stallion owner for a number of years. If RS is truly going to end up with her, it is a good thing. None of us know why she is doing what she is doing. Let it play out. There may be a reason.
                                      Thank you.
                                      Surgeon General warns: "drinking every time Trump lies during the debate could result in acute alcohol poisoning."

Comment

• Y'all do realize that there are different kinds of "sold." All kinds of different arrangements could be called "sold", especially by a lawyer who is working a PR spin.

I have the highest personal regard for Ronda and her ethics, and don't think for a minute that she would do anything dicey. I've dealt with her in the past, albeit long distance, in a very tricky situation involving someone else as well, and she was a rock.
                                        "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                        Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Originally posted by horsenut93136 View Post
                                          yes I'm sorry I am having a tantrum. I feel like I have been very good a quoting the original posters so not sure why there is a question of what I take issue with.

Between isse and true colors they inferred that Rising Star might not be capable of handling the stallion and that it might hurt her reputation. I do not believe these things are helpful in getting the stallion to a good place. Tantrum ended
                                          I'm still catching up on reading this thread, but I have to say you are doing a mighty fine job of trying to get the negative attention off Gray Fox Farms, and on to the other farm. I have no dog in this fight - never heard of either farm until this thread to be honest - but your hysterical rantings have me wondering why.
                                          *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Comment

Working...
                                          X