• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doing business with JILL BURNELL? BEWARE.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
    There was a FB page against her started a few weeks ago. Not sure if it was taken down voluntarily or if FB pulled the plug in response her JB's inevitable lawsuit threat. I think that is her favorite word.
    Facebook took down the page http://www.facebook.com/PeopleDamagedByJillBurnell ... it lasted a day or two and had over 60(?) "likes" along with multiple horror stories.

Condensed version to the creation of that page is Stephanie Sjoberg (I have permission to use her name) is being sued for $10k for a mare she decided NOT to sell to JB. Unfortunately she had not done her homework before committing to this "forever home" sale. Then she was referred to some COTH threads and decided there was enough negativity surrounding the foreclosure, warrants, misrepresentation, etc. that she wouldn't risk her mare and cancelled the deal. Immediately trying to refund the money. JB felt she was entitled to $10k (she had paid a $500 via PayPal).

SS tried several times to refund the money, JB refused refund ... then sued her for $10k. It is going to court because Jill turned down the refund at the hearing and demanded at least 3 times the original amount. It's no wonder the legal system gets so bogged down ... how could you possibly justify entitlement of $10k for a $500 investment?

I'm not an attorney but it seems to me that if she does have open arrest warrants, wouldn't her appearance in court be the perfect time for her to be picked up?
    Jan Marquardt
    Walkabout Station - www.walkaboutstation.com
    www.facebook.com/walkaboutstation
    www.youtube.com/walkaboutstation

Comment

• I don't understand, if she owes so much money, why on earth is she buying more horses? Especially broodmares! That's business 101 pay off your debts.

I'm still just crossing my fingers that A. No semen was mixed up in that crazy lab and B. I'm hoping noone got redwine's positive semen on accident.

And kmsuds, Could you please use just ONE comma at a time? Better yet, use a period! It's making my eyes bleed and my dyslexia freak out. Thanks.
      I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Comment

• Appsolute, link isn't working. Just curious how many people posting on here have competed against GFF foals and lost or won?

Comment

• Originally posted by eagle74 View Post
          Appsolute, link isn't working. Just curious how many people posting on here have competed against GFF foals and lost or won?
          Jill, don't you have better things to do? Maybe rent a dumpster or 12? I am ashamed that my lovely filly is a walking billboard for your breeding program. Maybe I should change her to unknown breeding? That seems to be one of your favorite tricks.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Appsolute, link isn't working. Just curious how many people posting on here have competed against GFF foals and lost or won?
            I fixed the link. I have never competed against JB. I am an eventer. Sorry, not jealousy. I just think the horse industry should chase scammers out of business with flaming pitch forks.

If you google "Sonoma county grantor grantee" the links will come up. It is all public information. Looks like the County of San Mateo will have listings for JB as well.
            APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

• Ummm, if her house is that poorly taken care of and there are dead chickens in the bath tub and dog crap all over the house.... then why hasn't anyone called the ASPCA or animal cruelty on her? the ASPCA would take the horses, dogs, chickens and who knows what else from her with those pictures and find them good homes!

Comment

Nope. I couldn't believe it since I am used to JC rules. My filly looks like a Redwine for the most part so most likely is but she has similar looking stallions so it isn't a given especially when you know how shady the whole operation is. I can see no benefit to opening that can of worms now however. She is who she is.
                Depends on the registry. To the best of my knowledge ALL registries require DNA of stallions and AHS requires DNA of foals.

I know RPSI doesn't require DNA of foals.

But for $75 you can get your mare or foal DNA'ed yourself, as long as you have access to the foal. The lab will contact the registry where the stallion's DNA is listed to compare.

Comment

So Gibson and I should have our animals blackballed?
                  Not at all what I was implying!!

Comment

As a majority of the horse people on this board are from the east coast, where the majority of HB occurs, not many.

And it's been stated that the reason Jill Burnell is ranked number one in hunter breeding (not actual hunters) is because she drags a whole pile of babies to a couple shows in Cali and racks up points there, where she is only competing against herself. So probably a small select few have competed against her.

That was stated in a previous Do not do business with Gray Fox Farm or Jill Burnell thread.
                    I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Comment

• I prefer to deal with honest horseman who can be trusted. Reputations are earned over time. Jill Burnell's BAD reputation has been earned over time and the misdeeds are well documented.

A person like Ms. Burnell who blames her mother for losing a mare's papers, which was the situation as explained by one registry to me in my struggle to get my Redwine filly's papers (the email has been printed and saved), must be a terrible, terrible disappointment to the mother, which, in my opinion, is the greatest tragedy in this sad story. Who puts the blame for their own incompetence or deliberate fraudulence on their aging mother? To be a disappointment to one's parents and for those parents to realize what their own married lives have produced ................that's tragic. Using an alternative name to put down one's sister-in-law for stating the truth isn't surprising. Brave of her sister to come forward, in my opinion, but also sad to feel she must come forward.

The folk who continue to do business with this woman must either have something going with her or be very naive. She doesn't have much repeat business or, if so, it's built on promises that are ultimately unfulfillable and that seems to be the case for the breaches with owners/trainers here on the East Coast.

Comment

• Originally posted by Daventry View Post
                        You can't be serious? So you are asking judges everywhere to "compromise" their code of ethics and not place a horse that they "think" might be a Redwine foal, that likely does NOT belong to Jill, and owned by one of her innocent and unsuspecting clients...and that's going to put her out of business.

What IS going to put Jill out of business once and for all is to have everybody keep putting the word out there and letting everyone know about the three ring circus that is Gray Fox Farm and the unethical business dealings of Jill Burnell. The more people that know who the real Jill Burnell is, the better. If she's not able to sell horses any more or sell semen, that is what's going to put her out of business. Period!

Sadly, Jill Burnell is likely not going to seek help for her problem. I have a family member who is a hoarder, and it is not a disorder that is easily rectified...especially if you don't have a great family support....and with Jill's family members outing her on a public forum (which needed to be done), I doubt she has much support.

(The more people that post about Jill Burnell and Gray Fox Farm, the more these threads show up in the search engines and maybe it will help stop more Mare Owners and buyers from doing business with her!)
                        Nope, not what I meant and sorry you interpreted my post that way.

But again - as long as that particular "look" is all the rage in hunter breeding, folks will keep buying Redwine foals, breeding to him. etc. And trainers/handlers who want to win in the ring will keep pointing clients toward horses with "that look". It's a conumdrum - how do you stop her, when her stallion is siring foals that folks want?

Edited to add - FWIW - unfortunately, she currently leads the USEF Hunter Breeding rankings.
                        http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...HunterBreeding

And again - a cross-post on the H/J forum, pointing folks to this thread, would not be a bad idea.

Comment

• Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                          Nope, not what I meant and sorry you interpreted my post that way.

But again - as long as that particular "look" is all the rage in hunter breeding, folks will keep buying Redwine foals, breeding to him. etc. And trainers/handlers who want to win in the ring will keep pointing clients toward horses with "that look". It's a conumdrum - how do you stop her, when her stallion is siring foals that folks want?

And again - a cross-post on the H/J forum, pointing folks to this thread, would not be a bad idea.
                          The stallion and his get are not the problem though. The proof is in the pudding so to speak, they are nice horses. The only way to stop her is to make it clear that nice horse or not, it isn't worth dealing with her. It's like russian roulette and the odds are not in the breeder's favor. That is what we need to make clear without punishing the animals that already exist.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Originally posted by DownYonder View Post

Edited to add - FWIW - unfortunately, she currently leads the USEF Hunter Breeding rankings.
                            http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...HunterBreeding
                            Eek, she not only leads the list, she has more points then the next three on the list combined. And here’s another surprise, in the top 50 breeders - there is only one (24th) in the top 50 that is from VA. I would have thought that as a group VA breeders dominated this ranking. We don’t do Hunters… how meaningful / credible are these sorts of statistics. Are there lots of Hunters that are simply listed as “pedigree unknown” so breeders don’t get credit?
                            Logres Farm on Facebook
                            http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
                            http://logresdobermans.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
                              I have no dog in this fight, but I don't actually believe this to be true.

I only use GOV or AHS for foals, and I know that ROmantic Star (and maybe one of the others?) is approved for GOV breeding because I looked at him.

And GOV DOES require DNA of foals.
                              Here is my quote:
                              Originally Posted by DownYonder
                              ISR/ONA does not require any kind of parentage verification for foals presented at the dam's side.

Aloha and Redwine are both black with chrome.

Aloha, Redwine and Romantic Star are still on the ISR/ONA stallion roster. She only provides breeding certs for that registry and will not support any registry that does parentage verification

So where did I say that OHBS/GOV does not require parentage verification via DNA?

And yes, Romantic Star was approved by OHBS/GOV, as was Redwine. But they are no longer on the roster because their stallion dues have not been paid for several years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cartier View Post
                                Eek, she not only leads the list, she has more points then the next three on the list combined. And here’s another surprise, in the top 50 breeders - there is only one (24th) in the top 50 that is from VA. I would have thought that as a group VA breeders dominated this ranking. We don’t do Hunters… how meaningful / credible are these sorts of statistics. Are there lots of Hunters that are simply listed as “pedigree unknown” so breeders don’t get credit?
                                VA has a much shorter show season. CA and FL have shows in Dec. and Jan., all winter. VA starts in late March and ends in Sept.
                                Laurie

Comment

• crossposted on HJ board...
                                  Cornerstone Equestrian
                                  Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
                                  RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
                                  www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Laurierace
                                    JI am ashamed that my lovely filly is a walking billboard for your breeding program. Maybe I should change her to unknown breeding? That seems to be one of your favorite tricks.

No, don't be! Remember you have a nice mare! The mare is more than 50% after all!
                                    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver Equine Insurance Specialist

Comment

• FLAMING PITCHFORK POSSE - thx Appsolute

Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                                      just think the horse industry should chase scammers out of business with flaming pitch forks.

Proud to Run w/ Appsolute's FLAMING PITCHFORK POSSE

We are not really Anonymous. We are Legion - well LEGENDARY in our own minds. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us. And, please have popcorn & cocktails / boxed wine:

And, seriously, if you EVER think that anything on CotH is untoward; do not ever make the mistake of going to 4chan to see what those crazy /b/ people are all about. And, if you have kids -- get software to block that But, if you did happen to be connected to those people; this mess would have been shut down long ago in a spectacular way. I just doubt they're into horses, since hacking is an inside sport, I think.

And, yes this is a serious situation, but personally, I HAVE to try to find bits of humor when I can, or I would not be able to keep going some days.
                                      Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

I definitely don't breed hunters, show on the line or own any stallions.
                                        Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

• So this is creepy. I just re-read the stolen filly thread- eagle sounds JUST like royparker. Right down to the 3 sides to a story quote.. Any chance BOTH of them are Jill Burnell?

Comment

Working...
                                          X