• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Preserving Thoroughbreds...the original sport horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preserving Thoroughbreds...the original sport horse

There are interesting bloodlines scattered here and there...sometimes attached to the common but precious nonetheless. They often come with lovely temperaments and I wonder where to find the TB stallions to make and effort to keep these lines alive even if on the dam side.
    This is a lovely black mare I know.
    http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cupids+love
    No inbreeding in 7 generations and farther on the dam side and there it is The Tetrarch and Peter Pan. It seems a shame that these mares aren't collected to use for preservation of diversity in TBs. PatO
  • Original Poster

Another one in remote Montana

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bootsies+boy
    These horses are quite old and their blood could save thoroughbreds from lethal inbreeding but race breeders shrug their shoulders and go back for more of the same. PatO

Comment

I hear you loud and clear -- my foundation mare

http://www.pedigreequery.com/metierofthefield
      and her granddaughter
      http://www.pedigreequery.com/tkravantgarde

We're doing our part!

PennyG

Comment

Obviously I agree with you about Cupid's Love, so I'm quite pleased she produced a lovely 2 year old IDSH with her looks and temperament -- at least they were carried on for one more generation. : - ). This kind and athletic boy will hopefully live up to his Royal Charger heritage:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shenanigan4

She had two race foals as well, one by a Bold Forbes stallion and one by a Mr. Prospector. Luckily there is still time for her to produce a few more quality sporthorses.

And I tied your two fav TB mares together as well, since Shenanigan's dad is out of a Dr. Ricardo mare.

Comment

Originally posted by columbus View Post
          http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bootsies+boy
          These horses are quite old and their blood could save thoroughbreds from lethal inbreeding but race breeders shrug their shoulders and go back for more of the same. PatO
          Race breeders wouldn't use these lines mainly because the horses couldn't outrun a fat lady, downhill . We had some of these bloodlines years ago and they wearn't much for riding horses either. Small, and not very sound. Sometimes there are good reasons why some bloodlines aren't popular.
          Patty
          www.rivervalefarm.com
          Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

I actually prefer finding them like this mare

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/miss+super+trooper

My best ever, a grand old lady.
            Homesick Angels Farm
            breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
            standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
            www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

I have my 2 (maybe not as old bloodlines as the others, but love them anyhow ....)
              http://www.pedigreequery.com/sunnys+girl

http://www.pedigreequery.com/chanctee

But I am always asking where the old blooded stallion are to breed to to preserve the older lines (again, maybe a bit more conventional than the other mares here, I am looking for Damascus, Ribot, Nijinsky etc... - and God, I've been looking for a Transworld forEVER close up). Maybe you could start a list for us? I am hoping to send one of the girls to Cetewayo - not old, but older bred........
              Do you have any more?
              And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. Revelation 19:11

Comment

You should buy Triple Twist -- related to Gem Twist in 3 crosses -- extraordinary pedigree. He's also capable of continuing to compete, great opportunity to own a stallion that could certainly keep a very good and proven gene pool alive. (I'm not connected to this stallion or an agent -- just would like to see him in a good place where he will get to breed and compete) -- www.twistoffateventing.com. His owner has a new baby and needs to move him.

PennyG

Comment

Penny, I do love the old mare's pedigree. Can't pull up her granddaughters. Agree about Triple Twist. We should start a syndicate and stand him at your place.

And I would really like to know about Sunnys Girl's temperament, because the Halo and Roberto lines have the reputation of being really, really tough. It would be nice to know if that is solely a male thing, a stallion thing, or can appear in mares or the mares' male descendants. With racers, nobody seems to care if the horse is close to a killer, but nonracing people put a premium on a decent disposition.
                  "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                  Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I have been a TB. breeder all my life and stood a TB. stallion for the hunter people. My stallion has produced a 2 time HOTY and many other winners. I have held on to one of his daughters because she has a pedigree that I think needs to be preserved. She carries Damacus, Turn-to, Blue Larkspur, Mahmoud Etc. I can not get pedigree up because I am puter illliterite. Can someone look her up. E K's Summer Wind. I no longer have a stallion and am not breeding but I think this mare needs some attention.

Comment

Vineyridge -- that's really nice of you to say, but oh my God, I'm trying so hard to downsize and take a very much needed break! However, standing him would be an honor.

If you go to the Thoroughbred pedigree site and just type in TKR Avant Garde, Ava should show up. I've also posted some photos (not great) of her on the two year old photo thread. Her dam is leased out and in foal to Starlight. I know you will appreciate the connection of DeeDee O in Ava's pedigree with Metier's pedigree and alot of other stuff I like. Hope you can view it.

P

Comment

I bred a Twist mare to my stallion once and it was a wonderful cross. The mare was so ugly I almost turned her down and it turned out to be one of the most beutiful foals he produced.

Comment

Originally posted by AdAblurr02 View Post
                          I actually prefer finding them like this mare

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/miss+super+trooper

My best ever, a grand old lady.
                          My oldest mare is also by Trooper Seven. She has produced beautiful WB foals. In fact, she was one of the top producing broodmares with the NA Selle Francais.

This is her pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bid+seven
                          Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
                          Website
                          and Facebook page
                          Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
                          Website and Facebook page

Comment

ok I'll bite

ok please tell me about my girls:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/bellerita

and

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/yodar

no need to worry about hurting my feelings....they are both lifers here anyway

best
                            Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                            I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Originally posted by sugarlobo View Post
                              I bred a Twist mare to my stallion once and it was a wonderful cross. The mare was so ugly I almost turned her down and it turned out to be one of the most beutiful foals he produced.
                              Name of Twist mare please. And pedigree if you know it. I'm trying to make a list of all the Bonne Nuit/Bonne Cause horse that have been. I suppose I could pay tons and go to the JC and pull up the 48 foals by Bonne Nuit, but I'd rather not have to spend the money.

Did she possibly have Blue Murmur in her lines? Cause I understand he was mud ugly. But passed on the jump to a lot of his descendants and was bred to the Twist family several times.

Comment

My foundation broodmare:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/my+stuben

She had 10 foals by my late Mandarin and evry one was a FANCY hunter. Glenhill owns one of her last - the lovely Roz.

Yak's momma:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/annie+rhythmic

I only got two foals out of her, but there were 3 colts prior to them and one day, I should look them up.

I was told that Mandarin had "obscure" bloodlines . He was definitely old style TB to the degree that I had to show off his tatoo because people thought he was WB -- back in the day when WBs were much heavier.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/baby+rebel

I have this mare:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/raewanda

who is a remarkable athlete and built like a BRICK, but (as mentioned above) the Halo makes her a little quirky. I have toyed with the idea of crossing her with Yak (frozen) if I can't get her smoothed out in the next year or so.

I would be doubling up on the In Reality (far back at this point), but that would be it.
                                I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Comment

Silly Mommy, you do realize that Elf (sire of Nimbus) was also the sire of Bonne Cause. When her daughter Brave Bonnie was crossed with Great War (Man O'War line) and a GP jumper himself, the result was Sisterly Love who was the dam of New Twist. Elf comes from one of the absolutely strongest jumping lines ever in TBs--the Dollar line. Upas, Elf's sire, also sired the Ksar line a bit farther down.

That Mandarin also has Peter McCue in the same quadrant of his pedigree as Elf is startling, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post

And I would really like to know about Sunnys Girl's temperament, because the Halo and Roberto lines have the reputation of being really, really tough. It would be nice to know if that is solely a male thing, a stallion thing, or can appear in mares or the mares' male descendants. With racers, nobody seems to care if the horse is close to a killer, but nonracing people put a premium on a decent disposition.

Sunny is wonderful - really wonderful. She is like a rubber ball and will jump anything. When we got her from the track, she was a real pistol. Almost took one of the surgeons' face off (he did the "horse whispery" thing and blew into her nose and she took strong exception), but she also had really bad ulcers. After having her for about 18 months now, she's doing well though - she'll never be a horse you could beat into submission (which is fine because we don't do that anyhow) but responds very well to being asked and has an excellent mind. I have had three Halos' and known several others, and currently have a Roberto mare as well and they've all been good - I don't know that these are the bloodlines of "killers" per se, but I think maybe they are the bloodlines of horses that don't fit into a mold of certain "training techniques" that some people use, ie, they don't take too much crap before they let you know it.
                                    Like have you ever read the story of when Storm Cat was smacked in the face while being ponied by his trainer?
                                    And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. Revelation 19:11

Comment

Originally posted by rio2:

Like have you ever read the story of when Storm Cat was smacked in the face while being ponied by his trainer?
                                      Would love to know what Storm Cat did.

Comment

Viney there was a Bonne Nuit stallion named Night Before Last that stood at Timber Acres in Northport (near Tuscaloosa). He has been deceased for some time, but he has a son I believe standing somewhere.

FYI -- there is going to be a Greg Best clinic September 3-4 in Tuskegee, AL! If anyone wants information, email me.

I had an Anglo-Arab gelding years ago that had freakish jumping ability. I evented him, showed him locally in jumper classes and sold him when I got married to some folks who showed him as a jumper in bigger shows. His bottom line was the Thoroughbred, I can't remember his dam's name (!) -- I'll remember it eventually, but she had Elf in her pedigree and some other "old" bloodlines that would be interesting. I remember Audacious also being in there. Maybe I can dig out his file --

PennyG

Comment

Working...
                                        X