• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

breeding haflinger mare to sportpony or sporthorse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeding haflinger mare to sportpony or sporthorse?

I would like some opinions on my situation. I'm looking at potentially breeding my haflinger mare to a sport pony or sport horse for an eventing mount. My mare is 9 and has never had a foal. She is about 14.2hh and the typical haflinger color. Here's a conformation shot of her:
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...05095396_n.jpg

What I want from the foal is a foal that is a potential eventing or dressage prospect. I'm leaning more towards eventing than dressage. My mare is very bold, smart and sensitive. I've never had a connection like this with a horse. I think, she does. I know I might not get that out of the foal, but I feel like it would be hard to pick a horse for sale with this quality as well, so I'm ok with that.

Her biggest flaw in my opinion, is that she isn't very naturally uphill. So, I would like to breed her to something that has natural uphill build and movement. Also I want to be sure to breed her to a stallion that is well balanced. She is a bit heavy in the front, so I wouldn't want to pick a stallion that was too unbalanced towards the front end.

I've poked around looking at pony stallions - mainly connemara's and german riding ponies. I rather like Belafonte d'Avalon so far. But a lot of the ponies don't have an uphill build. I have considered sporthorse stallions, but I am having trouble finding sporthorse stallions around 15hh or so. Most are close to or over 17hh - which I don't want. I've been told the mares body won't let the foal get too big, but I don't want to risk it. And I don't want a 17hh horse - I would like the foal to be between 14 - 15hh at maturity.

So... does anyone have recommendations for an uphill sport pony stallion, or short uphill sporthorse stallion? Breed doesn't matter too much to me.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length

How about this guy? He's only available frozen (he's in Europe) but by the dose, he's really inexpensive. I believe he's $250 per dose. He is 14.2 and has produced dressage and jumping foals including some Bundeschampionats participants.

Mandingo

If I was looking for a small sport horse he'd be on my list to consider!

I also worked with this guy in my youth and he was quite nice... Not sure whether he is still alive, although they still list him at stud. He's an arabian but he was also ATA licensed. He was SO easy to work with - an intact stallion that was just easy as anything to handle and ride.
    However he jumped well enough to get approved, but I don't know that it was ever really his calling. He's produced lots of dressage horses but I can't think of a single baby that is jumping anything of significance. Probably fine if your goals are for a BN/N horse, but if you want more, maybe not.

Al-Marah Quebec
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks JWB! I do like Mandingo... will definitely keep him on my list. I would like to go as far as possible in eventing, but I'm not an experienced eventer - more experienced in dressage. But would like the foal to have as much potential as possible

I also hadn't come across Superior Equine Sires - will do some more poking around on there. I would prefer frozen over cooled - seems easier to work with. But I could be wrong, I'm by no means a seasoned breeder. Where I board they have used frozen and cooled. I didn't think to ask the other day but she didn't mention one being better than the other. Will do some reading up on that as well.

Comment

What a cute mare.

I would LOVE to have something a little more substantail (like your mare) and breed to Top Cat http://www.mortonstables.com/ I have a video from that breeding farm as I was interested in breeding one of their mediums to a small horse (I ended up going with a section C from another farm) But I fell in love with the vid of Top Cat!! Moves very much like a warmblood.

Comment

Originally posted by fillytracks View Post
          Thanks JWB! I do like Mandingo... will definitely keep him on my list. I would like to go as far as possible in eventing, but I'm not an experienced eventer - more experienced in dressage. But would like the foal to have as much potential as possible

I also hadn't come across Superior Equine Sires - will do some more poking around on there. I would prefer frozen over cooled - seems easier to work with. But I could be wrong, I'm by no means a seasoned breeder. Where I board they have used frozen and cooled. I didn't think to ask the other day but she didn't mention one being better than the other. Will do some reading up on that as well.
          Cooled would be more "ideal" for you to use on a 9yr old maiden mare.

This stallion isn't huge
          http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stalli...weiss_ggf.html

This boy I have seen in person and is very nice
          http://www.germanridingpony.com/burberry.html
          Draumr Hesta Farm
          "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
          Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

There's also a TB that looks pretty neat that is smallish...who is it?

Ah--Cor Magnifique. He's only 15.2, and he is eventing. The pedigree is very interesting.

http://www.teamwallace.org/stallion

Comment

The reason you aren't finding WB stallions smaller is they aren't out there I think some registries will not liscense them if they are under 15.3. I would def be looking at some Connemaras because they will refine your mare.
              http://community.webshots.com/user/jenn52318

Comment

Haflinger's rock!

Your mare is SO cute! We were in exactly the same situation 3 years ago. We have a 13.2h Haflinger mare, Pazia
                http://witsendeventing.com/Breeding/pazia.html
                that LOVES to jump and we wanted to breed her to a sport pony to get an event pony. We ended up settling on Voyager
                http://www.breeding-stallions.com/photos745.html
                and now have a 2yo gelding Valliant Voyager
                http://witsendeventing.com/Foals/Valiant_Voyager.html
                Val is definitely more refined than his mom, has nicer gaits and also appears to love jumping. We haven't free jumped him yet because of his age but he will regularly jump things in his paddock when playing or the fence if so inclined . We would definitely breed back to Voyager although I'm not sure if you can get Voyager in the US any more.

Last year we bred Pazia to Ridley
                http://www.fair-windsfarm.com/Ridley.html
                We are very pleased with Renegade. I don't have any pictures of him on our web page yet but you can see him on our facebook page (below). Harder to tell exactly how he is going to turn out since he is only a few weeks old. He was a bit more uphill at birth than his 1/2 brother, has a very nice trot and canter. Chris Rush (Ridley's owner) was great to work with.

Best of luck!
                Dale and "A"
                www.witsendeventing.com
                Facebook
                Twitter
                YouTube

Comment

Hey FT I second Ridley - I've liked what he has produced.

Also Popeye Hilltop is great to work with http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stallion_popeye.html
                  Epona Farm
                  Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

There is someone local to me who bred their haffie mare to a Popeye K son twice. The older filly competed on the line as a 2 and three year old with rather respectable results. Last year she showed on the provincial circuit and qualified for the championships in the hack division. She is about 16 hh and very solid!

Comment

Small WB stallion -- http://www.chadalefarms.com/breeding.html I don't know whether they are still standing him or not. He is right about 15.2 hh (I have seen him numerous times when he was in Florida). I have a mare by him. Her dam was 15.2 hh and she is right at 15.2 hh.

As far as sportpony stallions, these are the ones I personally like quite a bit:

Belfonte and Burberry who were already mentioned and .....

FS Daily Hero http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Daily%20Hero. He is the sire of my 2 year old sportpony stallion prospect.

Chicco B http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Chicco-B They don't have any jumping photos of him on the site (at least not that I saw) but trust me this pony can jump !!! I saw him at the ISR/Oldenburg stallion approval and he outjumped all the horse stallions. Love him

Good luck.
                      Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
                      Website
                      and Facebook page
                      Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
                      Website and Facebook page

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Aven - I will pass your compliment onto Annie! I do like the looks of Top Cat but had trouble finding any video. Do you know if any is available online?

This stallion isn't huge
                        http://www.hilltopfarminc.com/stalli...weiss_ggf.html

This boy I have seen in person and is very nice
                        http://www.germanridingpony.com/burberry.html
                        I like Donarweiss - his stud fee is on the high end from what I've seen so far. But hard to put a price on something like this, so will keep an eye out for a discount or a breeding to him on an auction or something. He is gorgeous.

I really like Burberry... He is cute and I like his build. These guys are both on my list now, thanks Nootka!

Ah--Cor Magnifique. He's only 15.2, and he is eventing. The pedigree is very interesting.
                        I'm not too sure of a TB cross... Not that TB's aren't good, just not a fan of them. I don't feel I liked this guy as well as some of the others listed, so he wouldn't make my list for my haflinger. Thank you for the suggestion though Simkie

The reason you aren't finding WB stallions smaller is they aren't out there I think some registries will not liscense them if they are under 15.3. I would def be looking at some Connemaras because they will refine your mare.
                        I was not aware there was a height limit on WB's... Very good to know. I have looked at some connemaras - but most of them are a bit longer in the back than I like and I feel like a lot of them are not very naturally uphill. I feel I really need a stallion naturally uphill for my mare, since she isn't so naturally uphill herself.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wits End Eventing - thanks soo much for the info! Nice to see photos and video of some haflinger crosses... There aren't many out there! I saw the photos of Renegade on your FB page - how cute! Will be sure to look forward for more updated photos of him and Valliant Voyager! I really like Ridley... He is definitely on the list, haha. And thank you for the compliments on Annie!

horsetales... Funny seeing you here I rather like Ridley... Glad you put a vote in for him. Like some of the others over Popeye... Thanks for the suggestions

The Bandit - thanks for the additional info on Popeye... He just isn't doing it for me though... Will look more at what he produces. Always more research to be done, haha

sfstable - I like Icarus a lot! I think I would prefer Daily Hero over Chicco B... Thanks!

Comment

I really like Burberry... He is cute and I like his build. These guys are both on my list now, thanks Nootka!

Your welcome! I just want to add that I have delt with Burberry's owner and she is a very nice person.
                            Last edited by Nootka; Jun. 13, 2012, 10:43 PM.
                            Draumr Hesta Farm
                            "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                            Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

You won't find small stallions approved with registries unless they're approved as ponies because, as someone else noted, registries have size restrictions on the stallions they approve.

I don't know too much about sport ponies, so I won't be much here. My favorite ponies I've ever seen were all spectacular, uphill movers by Forest Flame. I don't know where he stands and have a hard time finding any info about him online. But anytime I google search for him, I always find lots of lovely uphill ponies and small horses. May be one to google?

Stallion I suggest is Pablo or Pablito at Rainbow Equus Meadows. I've seen several offspring by both, and the dams of a few of them. The "stamp" of both stallions (from the offspring I've seen) seems to be uphill movement. And I agree with fillytracks that the main thing to consider when looking for a stallion for this particular mare is that he sires uphill moving horses. They are both lovely movers and superb, bold jumpers. I don't think they throw size. The horses I've seen were 15.3-16.1 and were about the same height as their dams. The only negative to these boys (from the horses I've seen), the offspring were a bit hot. Not super super hot, needing hours of lunging sorts. But definitely forward, aware of their surroundings, sensitive sorts. But I also know for a fact a few of the mares these horses were out of were hot, sensitive girls. So out of a very steady, calm mare you may not get such a sensitive ride? If any of the Rain. Equus. horses interest you, I would suggest sending them an e-mail. They're a big enough stallion station they they likely have sent semen out to a few Haflinger mares and may have a decent idea of what to expect with the crosses.

I would not personally consider any of the "hunter" stallions. They're just not uphill enough for this mare - IMO. I would probably lean towards nice, loose relaxed moving jumper stallions.

Comment

I would also have a vet do a repro exam on her and discuss frozen vs. fresh semen with them. Maiden mares are typically a little harder to get in foal, so you may only want to consider fresh. But if you meet with a good vet and after examining her they are fairly confident in their ability to get her pregnant with frozen, then your options become almost limitless!

Comment

Ridley is approved as a Horse Stallion with ISR/Oldenburg NA. He is currently showing Intermediare and last weekend had 2 first place rides with a 70 and a 65 for his scores. Ridley also has a fabulous jump as do his babies.

Chris Rush
                                  Fair Winds Farm
                                  www.fair-windsfarm.com

Comment

Frozen requires an experienced repro person, timing and thawing protocols are crucial to success. Ask your vet about his success rate using fresh and frozen. Failures are expensive
                                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Stallion I suggest is Pablo or Pablito at Rainbow Equus Meadows. I've seen several offspring by both, and the dams of a few of them. The "stamp" of both stallions (from the offspring I've seen) seems to be uphill movement. And I agree with fillytracks that the main thing to consider when looking for a stallion for this particular mare is that he sires uphill moving horses. They are both lovely movers and superb, bold jumpers. I don't think they throw size. The horses I've seen were 15.3-16.1 and were about the same height as their dams. The only negative to these boys (from the horses I've seen), the offspring were a bit hot. Not super super hot, needing hours of lunging sorts. But definitely forward, aware of their surroundings, sensitive sorts. But I also know for a fact a few of the mares these horses were out of were hot, sensitive girls. So out of a very steady, calm mare you may not get such a sensitive ride? If any of the Rain. Equus. horses interest you, I would suggest sending them an e-mail. They're a big enough stallion station they they likely have sent semen out to a few Haflinger mares and may have a decent idea of what to expect with the crosses.
                                      I would also have a vet do a repro exam on her and discuss frozen vs. fresh semen with them. Maiden mares are typically a little harder to get in foal, so you may only want to consider fresh. But if you meet with a good vet and after examining her they are fairly confident in their ability to get her pregnant with frozen, then your options become almost limitless!
                                      Thank you Twisted River! I like Pablo... Will have to watch the video of Pablito on a PC when I find one to borrow for a bit. Yes, uphill movement is a must! I will be sure to discuss all of this with the vet... Luckily our vet specializes in breeding and I am very confident in them. I haven't discussed this with them yet, but will absolutely be asking them lots of questions

My mare's heat cycles are very obvious, especially in the spring time, then she gets more mellow into summer. Not sure if that has any correlation with anything or gives any indication of how easy she will be to get pregnant.

Ridley is approved as a Horse Stallion with ISR/Oldenburg NA. He is currently showing Intermediare and last weekend had 2 first place rides with a 70 and a 65 for his scores. Ridley also has a fabulous jump as do his babies.
                                      Congratulations on the success last weekend! I keep watching Ridley's video, along with a few others... This will be such a hard decision!

Frozen requires an experienced repro person, timing and thawing protocols are crucial to success. Ask your vet about his success rate using fresh and frozen. Failures are expensive
                                      Thanks carolprudm - will be sure to discuss all of this with my vet. Lots to learn for me here!

Comment

I'd definitely consider Belafonte d'Avalon!

Comment

Working...
                                        X