• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Flexible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible

So what do we if we have a star in our midst...ignore that he is a stallion we could use to produce international jumpers and eventers. We'd look kind of silly if we did. PatO
    Flexible daughter
    http://edwarddoyle.com/en/catalogue/horses/cusions
    Flexible son
    http://edwarddoyle.com/en/catalogue/horses/bill-vision
    Flexible half brother
    http://edwarddoyle.com/en/catalogue/stallions/samgemgee
    this weekend competitng for Ireland
    Flexible's sister
    http://edwarddoyle.com/en/catalogue/archives/flexing
    Son of Flexing
    http://edwarddoyle.com/en/catalogue/stallions/dilligaf
    The dam of Flexible had 3 foals. Flexible(Flex-A-Bill), Samgemgee, Flexing.

but dontcha know he's not a continental WB.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by columbus View Post
      So what do we if we have a star in our midst...ignore that he is a stallion we could use to produce international jumpers and eventers. We'd look kind of silly if we did. PatO
      It's discouraging to admit, but we've done it too many times before so we're well practiced.

In the case of Flexible though, personally, I'm out of my comfort zone as a breeder. I know just enough about the Irish horses to be dangerous. Better and more information on the website would be really helpful. For instance:

Is his pedigree really unknown on the bottom side? Unless I'm missing it, his website doesn't show a pedigree. Heck, it doesn't even mention he's by Cruising.

What are the registration options for his offspring?

What types of mares does Flexible cross best with and is there specific blood he nicks well with?

And just in general, how are Irish bloodlines best integrated with Warmblood mares?

JMHO
      www.avenir-farm.com

Comment

Originally posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
        It's discouraging to admit, but we've done it too many times before so we're well practiced.

In the case of Flexible though, personally, I'm out of my comfort zone as a breeder. I know just enough about the Irish horses to be dangerous. Better and more information on the website would be really helpful. For instance:

Is his pedigree really unknown on the bottom side? Unless I'm missing it, his website doesn't show a pedigree. Heck, it doesn't even mention he's by Cruising.

What types of mares does Flexible cross best with and is there specific blood he nicks well with?

And just in general, how are Irish bloodlines best integrated with Warmblood mares?

JMHO
        Part of the problem with Irish pedigrees comes from the civil unrest in the 20th century. Records were not kept or lost, or blown up
        I wasn't always a Smurf
        Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by baywithchrome2 View Post

JMHO
          I could be very well be wrong, but I think he is approved HSI? Therefore his offspring would be registrable with the Irish Horse Register. Help me out here if I am off.

"Bred by Ireland's Edward and Catherine Doyle, Flexible is an approved stallion in the Irish Sport Horse studbook..."
          http://www.horsesportireland.ie/show...ers.12016.html

I'd like to use him on a tall, solid, quiet minded, but athletic RID mare. As far as specific bloodlines that he crosses well with, time will tell. Of course I have my personal opinions
          I agree his website could use a bit of a sprucing up, but there are a lot of Irish breeders that need a kick in the booty when it comes to their websites and marketing (guilty of that myself).

Pedigree-
          http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=10463146

On another note there are several RID stallions out there being crossed with Holsteiner and Dutch mares with great results. The real "problem" is that they are not in the pros hands.
          Disclaimer: I don't know everything, but I'm sticking to what I know and we'll go from there.

Comment

The Irish have always been bad about tracking mares. It really has nothing to do with the historical situation. They still do it.
            "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
            Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

I was looking at Cruising on the Sporthorse-Data-base as I was curious about the same thing and I wanted to see what the Cruising broodmares were being used with. So try there first.
              This is the latest sale in Ireland and at the end is a list of stallions so you can have an idea what stallions they have available to them in Ireland. It is still predominantly live cover there.
              http://www.irishhorse.com/Catalogues/SH/P01-124.pdf
              PatO

Comment

• Original Poster

Obviously there is the most success with Cloverhill who is the dam side equivalent to Cruising...seems to cross well with everything... King of Diamonds and Cruising and Master Imp. Master Imp crossed well with the KODs and CH but there isnt as much success with Cruising mares. There are more warmbloods in Ireland now but the initial success with the Irish mare base is Cavalier Royale. I am inclined to look at the French mare base but it is just a feeling, I am looking into this too. I am kind of surprised to see that Crusing does well with 1/4 and 1/2 Draught mares suggesting that perhaps the instinct to add refinement is not the way to go. Flexible is successful as he is...his siblings are more refined than he and still successful but perhaps being comfortable with his type and not breeding to refine might be for him what it was for Cruising.

When ever looking at Irish breeding you need to be aware of trends...the Irish breeders sent everything to KODs then CH then Cavalier Royale them Cruising so now the success full cross is from KODs mares and CH mares and CR mares and the next dominant mares will be from Cruising. PatO

Comment

Flexible and Cruising

The Cruising-Clover Hill cross has produced many international jumpers. It is effectively line breeding Tara that helps make it a potent jumper cross. I have a Cruising-Coille Mor Hill (Clover Hill)-Chair Lift daughter that we plan to breed to Indoctro and Riverman (Holst) in the future. Many of the Holsteiner lines (particularly Corde blood in sires Cavalier Royale and Limerick) have crossed well on ID blood to produce top jumpers and eventers.

We just had our Flexible foal, a filly, out of a Mezcalero (Voltaire-Ramiro-Marco Polo) mare who is TB on the bottom. The TB blood includes multiple crosses to Nasrullah (including one cross through Secretariat) and some Irish TB through the Irish race mare Acushla. Cruising's dam Mullacrew was by Nordlys by Nasrullah. Nordlys also sired the Munich Olympic (1972) Individual Gold Medalist in Show Jumping, The Ambassador (Italy). Marco Polo's lineage produced arguably Britain's best show jumper of all time, Milton. Secretariat had several Grand Prix show jumper offspring in the late 1980s and early 1990s including Quantum Leap. The Mez mare is over 16.3 H, has a sensible disposition, and has a wonderful canter/gallop. The filly is tall, has good bone, shows intelligence and precocity, and is a gumby doll.

We have another breeding to Flexible that we plan to use with our Galoubet A mare inspired by the Cruising-Galoubet product Mic Mac Du Tillard who will likely represent Sweden in London this summer. The Galoubet mare is 17.1 H and is a sweet and sensible type. She also moves quite well and is as limber as a gumby doll. Touchdown, son of Galoubet A, stood in Ireland for many years and produced among others, Liscalgot, 2002 WEG Jerez Gold Medalist out of an Irish mare, Lady Willpower, but just can't recall the speicifics of the breeding on the dam side right now.

Hope that helps to give some ideas as to how to use Irish blood with warmblood, particularly Holsteiner and SF, and TB to produce for the top of sport.

Comment

Foals can be registered in USA with Continental Studbook (CS). And in Ireland as discussed above. I was told he would have to be inspected if I wanted IDHSNA papers on my Flexible filly.......and when I discuss this with the registrar I had to explain who Flexible was. This was a few months ago, but he was 2nd in WC Finals in 2008 and on winning Nations Cups Teams for many years so I was taken back that I needed to explain who he was. Likely not a problem anymore!!!
                    Don't you think Flexible deserves a pass/waiver on the IDHSNA inspection requirement given his amazing successes? So silly for IDHSNA to miss out on this Irish horse.

Comment

Originally posted by knowthatifly View Post
                      Don't you think Flexible deserves a pass/waiver on the IDHSNA inspection requirement given his amazing successes? So silly for IDHSNA to miss out on this Irish horse.
                      Absolutely! The IDHS-NA folks should be embarrassed that they didn't know who he was I feel as though they are so busy arguing amongst themselves and picking at each other, they have their heads in the sand when it comes to the real world and open competition (not everyone, but most). The Irish horses in NA will be the ones who suffer from it in the end. If they can't get their act together, they and the horses will loose even more respect and favor. My apologies for venting...
                      Disclaimer: I don't know everything, but I'm sticking to what I know and we'll go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousMarie View Post
                        Absolutely! The IDHS-NA folks should be embarrassed that they didn't know who he was I feel as though they are so busy arguing amongst themselves and picking at each other, they have their heads in the sand when it comes to the real world and open competition (not everyone, but most). The Irish horses in NA will be the ones who suffer from it in the end. If they can't get their act together, they and the horses will loose even more respect and favor. My apologies for venting...
                        LOL - this has been a long topic of conversation with some close friends here today and I just caught up on this post. If they could all stop arguing about "what should be allowed in" to the registry they might actually be able to get ahead!! Please note the Billy Stud in UK that breeds "European Warmbloods" they have a good amount of Irish blood including Clover Hill crossed back on Dutch stallions. But they would rather call them EW instead of Irish...leave the reason why up to you to decide...LOL
                        Lisa Gerdon
                        www.breedirish.com
                        Waxhaw, NC

Comment

Also wanted to note that I just put one of our last colts (3 yr old gelding) by the Clover Hill son The Pride of Gloster RID under saddle, he was my test cross on a KWPN Nimmerdor mare. And I have to say I am quite impressed super cross! SOlid bay, great mind, lovely suspension. He has all the potential. I also have his half sister out of an KWPN "Argus" mare, she is a yearling but I like cross more and more each day. I really like the CH to Dutch stallion product.
                          Lisa Gerdon
                          www.breedirish.com
                          Waxhaw, NC

Comment

• Original Poster

Flexible is Approved in HSI(Horse Sport Ireland registry) he is 1/4 Irish Draught(Seaquest RID) I would be surprised if his offspring were not approvable in IDHSNA as I believe that those criteria are what is needed. As to a "registrar" not knowing Flexible I think the gal in the office is a secretary a very knowledgable person but not an expert...you should talk to the Registration Officer for the Society. I will ask around. The point of Flexible not being a fancy modern looking warmblood...I am pretty sure that I would rather have his heart and jump and the ability to stay sound...he has all that in spades. I know "I" am looking to lease a jumper mare for him. I have purebred ID mares maybe one would have that intangible charecter and heart to make good use of that precious semen. PatO

Comment

Working...
                            X