Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

What does the term "Hot" mean?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the term "Hot" mean?

What does the term "Hot" mean to you in horse lingo? I said something about a horse being hot in another thread and other posters took that label to mean the horse was useless.

Since I've spent plenty of time with "hot" breeds, I certainly didn't mean it in a bad way. It was like saying "chestnut" or "tall". It is what it is.

So it's obvious "hot" means different things to different people.

Other words I might apply to a hot horse (not all terms to each horse...but I would use some of these to quantify "hot"): sensitive, highly reactive, spooky, dumb as a box of rocks,
    over-acheiver, strong, lots of go, worrier, insecure.

What about you? Describe what YOU mean when you say a horse is "hot."

To me a hot horse is like a kid at halloween on a sugar high. High strung, overly sensitive, and energetic. All of which can be very useful in a competition mount, if properly directed.
    Celtic Pride Farm
    www.celticpridefarm.com
    Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

Hot to me means, sensitive, knew from the start that leg means go, no spurs necassary as a go button, lots of energy, and some times strong. I agree I dont think hot is a bad thing.
      Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
      http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sensitive, high energy, a certain intensity, and often reactive- not necessarily an appropriate reaction to the stimulus, so maybe a bit unpredictable.

But I agree with Okggo, can be very useful in a competition mount- ready to be the star and show with a good energy, 'if properly directed.'
        I may have been away for a while, but I'm not gone yet!

Crayola posse ~Magenta

Comment

For me it usually means sensitive; high energy.
          =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
          ~Jilltx~

Comment

• Original Poster

How could I forget "energetic?" Indeed.

To me it doesn't always mean "forward," because alot of Teke horses (stallions mostly) are what most people would consider hot, yet it isn't uncommon for them to resist by going up. Never seen so many rearing horses.

The Russians & Turkmen actually encourage it -- they take pic after pic of their horses rearing ! It's macho or something. I have to admit, these horses have amazing balance!

But I digress...I LIKE a hotter horse as long as the hotness doesn't equate into idiotcy and dangerous behavior. Like when they seem to lose the drive to survive and take care of themselves. I use to ride an Arab up in the hills and she would spook at NOTHING and just about put us both over a cliff.

My current Arab riding mare will "spook", but never spin and NEVER put herself (or me) in any danger. She acts the fool sometimes, but ALWAYS takes good care of her chubby little self <g>.

Comment

Originally posted by jilltx View Post
              For me it usually means sensitive; high energy.
              Yes, and I will add that there is a sense of quickness about the horse that can unnerve most people. The rider has to have a real sense of inner calm and be athletic enough to be able to stay with the horse. The TB people will tell you that you need to finesse the horse, never fight or argue. The kind of horse that has to be ridden physically and mentally.
              The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

To me, "hot" means intelligent and self aware--which goes along with the idea that the horse must be persuaded to do something, not forced, or it will resist strongly. Energetic and sensitive are part of it, too.
                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

To me, "hot" means it's quick and tends to be fresh and/or act up, making it temperamentally not naturally suited to the hunter ring. It is going to require a lot of prep work to get it to the ring each time, careful handling and riding in the ring to keep it mentally quiet, and it will probably break down before its time due to the required extra work. It's a "run for the hills" term to a hunter buyer.

Comment

"Hot" - means a horse has "blood" as in TB. Skill required!
                    Hate the cold "deadheads"!
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

well it could mean Arab or TB breeding

or it could mean high as a kite

orit could mean very sexy.

depends on who is using it.
                      A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

To me a good example of really "hot" that can be both incredible for highest level of sport, and disastrous is Nicole Uphoff's Rembrandt. His sensitivity and brilliance propelled him to Gold in 2 Olympic Games. Then in Atlanta, little plaster statues caused a melt down, and ruined his chances for a 3rd Olympic win. You would think at his age, and as much as he had seen, there wouldn't be much that could blow his mind, but it just shows what it takes to be a top athlete in Dressage.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
                          To me a good example of really "hot" that can be both incredible for highest level of sport, and disastrous is Nicole Uphoff's Rembrandt. His sensitivity and brilliance propelled him to Gold in 2 Olympic Games. Then in Atlanta, little plaster statues caused a melt down, and ruined his chances for a 3rd Olympic win. You would think at his age, and as much as he had seen, there wouldn't be much that could blow his mind, but it just shows what it takes to be a top athlete in Dressage.
                          You may have hit on one of the most perfect examples!

I remember reading somewhere that of the three people who "made" this horse (Nicole, her father and Klaus Balkenhol), at one point at least ONE of them wanted to give up and get rid of him because he was such a hottie (NOT in a good way).

And even at 18yrs of age and FIVE Gold Medals he still had a bucking fit during competition (what caused it? Little statues?).

I recall that Nicole almost laughed about it, because she said she just dropped her concentration for one minute....

Yet he was probably the most brilliant dressage horse I've ever seen! He is the horse that made me fall in love with modern dressage and become interested in breeding (it was through Rembrandt that I discovered Rubinstein).

Thank you for bringing him up...such a stunning horse all the way around. But he if would have ended up with an ammie he would have been the talk of COTH. Every poster would have been suggesting he be given away and lecturing about "how could breeders have produced such a beast?!?!"

But he was such a horse...and it took a rider to ride him. He needed to be RIDDEN and not just sat upon.

Comment

To me, a hot horse is a horse that needs to be watched more.

I agree with tendency towards spooky, which includes apparently random bucking and rearing. Hot horses are not for beginner riders, unless they want to get dumped a lot. A novice rider is more likely to learn something from a hot horse.

I caution whether or not a hot horse is dumb. Sometimes it seems they are to smart for their own good. Take my mare and her companion - both could be considered hot horses.

My mare - she knows when she is going somewhere because the trailer is otherwise parked next to the field. She used to stop and balk because the trailer, right next to the gate, is not there anymore. Her companion - no clue and will suddenly spook when she's getting ready to load because she apparently missed the big box on wheels in the driveway....

Both are different kinds of hot - the other mare will buck if her rider stops paying attention for just a moment. My mare has only bucked twice and they were both just happy bucks when galloping in a field. She does not rear - she spooks. She will balk when she doesn't want to do something and don't get mad at her if she doesn't want to get on the trailer! If that whip comes out, so does her 'bad side'. She has gotten much better, but I still stress at shows when kids start running around and yelling. She will only take so much of it before she will break away from the trailer and start running around. And don't think she will just pull back and happen to break away - when she pulls back, she isn't quitting until she is separated from that trailer!

I don't consider hot a bad thing, but something to consider when you are helping someone look at horses or looking at horses for yourself. Part of the 'how much do you want to be challenged' questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Julz View Post
                              Sensitive, high energy, a certain intensity, and often reactive- not necessarily an appropriate reaction to the stimulus, so maybe a bit unpredictable.

But I agree with Okggo, can be very useful in a competition mount- ready to be the star and show with a good energy, 'if properly directed.'
                              Ditto!
                              Providence Farm
                              http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

To me, hot means something different than spooky. Hot means my arms will hurt after I get off. But he's so ready to go, he'll go through hell or high water to get there.

I love hot.

I hate spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                                  And even at 18yrs of age and FIVE Gold Medals he still had a bucking fit during competition (what caused it? Little statues?)..
                                  Statues are at each corner. Peron didn't like them much either, and it is what blew his test too. The next day, they had mysteriously disappeared. I guess not a good idea.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Hot does not equate with spooky in my mind. My mare is a 'go through fire' type and never spooks, but she's got all the qualities of a TB, heart, desire, go, (not so much whoa), sensitivity, alacrity and character. Yet she has to be ridden with the handbreak on for a lot of the time or if there are competitors (in her mind) around. She's also empathetic and soft and when she's 'on' I've never had a ride like her. When she is really ridden with intent, there is nothing she cannot achieve.

Rubenstein was the first warmblood I fell in love with for the same reasons.
                                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I think of hot as over-reactive to aids and strong, likes its job and doesn't want to do it slowly or quietly. What most people equate with the TB or 'blood'

I do not equate hot and spooky, they are more like polar opposites. A hot horse will go forward, maybe up, but in general they will explode in some way that exerts energy. A spooky horse will do anything to not go forward, shy sideways, stop, balk, possibly rear...The thiing that I truly dislike about WB's. I know nature has to do with most horses personality and workability, but I think their is something findamentally different about the TB and Wb mentality.

I think I've only known one hot & truly spooky horse, interestingly enough he failed out of the Grand Prix ring with one od the countrie's top rider's -- and was imported Holstiener bred with lines which are known for their rideability.

Comment

My 1/2 Arab pony can be both hot and spooky. She's usually spooky in reaction against an aid, as when she wants to look at the group of deer nearby. Then she shoots off like a rocket when I tell her that she must listen to my leg, not spook against it. Until I have her attention her reaction can be all (too much) or nothing (spook).

Comment

Working...
                                        X