• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

repeat crosses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repeat crosses?

Stupid auto correct...apologize for previous title error! I don't see that many. Is it like a slot machine where the player hopes the next pull is genetic jackpot?

For those that have done it, what were you criteria or reasons for the decision? Did you make it pre- or post- foaling? I'm curious on these breeding choices made so rarely.
    Last edited by TSHEventing; Apr. 27, 2012, 07:40 PM. Reason: Title

With the Guaranteed Gold / Puchi Trap foals, we did it 7 times in a row. I LOVED what that cross produced and every single time the foal was absolutely identical in every way to the sibling(s) before. It was uncanny how the genetics literally "hard wired" the same traits time and time again into every single foal produced.

If I like what I am getting in Foal #1, and I would mortgage my soul and my house to own that foal, absolutely I would repeat it again and again and again ...

Why mess with success?!
    www.TrueColoursFarm.com
    www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

Well in my own barn: Tate has 6 full brothers/sisters (he is the youngest). I didn't breed them but I know that Pam owned Onassis and Tanzania and felt (I think rightfully so ) that it was a good cross and kept repeating it over and over. 3 of the boys were presented for stallion approvals - 2 were approved. The one that wasn't approved remained intact for a long while (not sure if he still is or not) and went on to sire hunter offspring up in the North East. 1 mare was Reserve High Point Mare of her inspection. And most of them are competing in eventing or hunter/jumpers... so she may have been on to something.

I myself have 3 full siblings by Oskar II *Pg*. When Emma (Emerald Fire) was born, she was everything that I was hoping for to come out of my wonderful "heart" mare. The long legs, fantastic movement, everything (and this filly I will readily admit that I'm barn blind on so don't judge me lol) for me is perfection. She did very well in hand, was tied for High Point Mare at the Inspection that was during the Annual Meeting (with 13 mares being presented) and the German Breeding Director said that she was international and what we should be breeding for. She's doing great under saddle and is about to make her dressage debut. I bred the mare back to Oskar on the 30 day heat when Emma was born I liked what I saw so much. The gelding is very good but takes after the mom more. Tried one more time and got another filly, that has less bling, but IMO is BETTER than Emma in terms of movement... so it was a good nick I think. Time will tell.

I do plan on breeding back Val to Tate - I like the cross and what I got this year and that was the whole reason for keeping her as a broodmare... I think stallion owners repeat crosses with their own stallions more often. partly for convience perhaps, but also we tend to keep or obtain mares FOR our stallions. I know of several other SOs that have many many full siblings....
      Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, RPSI, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Comment

I have two full siblings that I bred - and one follows the mother while the other follows the father - in looks and attitude. If you saw them you would never think they are siblings.

Comment

We do it but we're a multigenerational riding/breeding farm, so we know what needs to be added *usually* from generation to generation. Which means we have a pretty firm understanding of what changes need to be made (as riding horses) and what each parent brings to the table - temperament, barrel size/shape, quality of each gait & jump, length of leg, etc.

To break it down - most of the mares are daughter/granddaughter/greatgranddaughters and the stallions are either a product of the same sort of breeding (sire or dam's strengths/weaknesses are well know) or for the outside boys - they are proven to produce horses we want to ride ourselves and compliment the mares. And then there are the siblings that don't go to the breeding shed - full and half brothers and sisters that stay and get trained up the levels until they sell (or not).

Not everyone does it this way and that's fine but we like knowing (as best we can) what we are going to produce with each breeding as riding stock.

Plans for who gets bred to whom and when are floating around from the time a filly is born. They solidify when she reaches an age of going to the breeding shed - and usually we have an older full sibling going well undersaddle at that point and know what needs to come from the stallion to make a better next generation. Even though we're not breeding this year - there is a "list" in our minds of who would be bred in the event of a career ending injury. In breeding years for the "real" broodmares - we usually have a short list of which stallions will come home in the tank (frozen). Or if we're collecting one of the stallions - he has a 'list of ladies' that are his for that year...so a collection can be split among multiple mares. But if we're waiting to see what a mare throws - we watch closely for the first few weeks, note strengths, weaknesses and make a decision on what qualities have come through in that particular cross. It's a gamble!

If you're at the F1 stage - I would imagine it's much tougher as there are more unknowns. Then the questions of 'are you breeding for yourself?' or 'are you breeding for the market?' come into play and those are something that have to be decided.

We have a mare that is probably the best example - Wakanda. She is by Waldaire out of an Again and Again daughter who was a full sister to Alacazam. So Wakanda is by a GP horse, out of a mare who was a full sister to a GP horse and by a GP horse. Again and Again was the 9th full sibling - one full brother was Ruxton (champion Working Hunter), Jackie Blue (jumped in the LA Olympics) and Rushton (successful hunter). Wakanda has 2 full brothers - Wizard (licensed stallion) and Whodini (gelding). Of the 3 - Wizard is the most like Waldaire (only better), Wakanda is like their dam (only better) and Whodini is the most like Again and Again (more elasticity, power and bigger gaits). There are also 2 half brothers by Dressage Royal growing up in the bachelor pasture. Knowing what we know about DR and the 3 full siblings - if Wakanda ever goes into the broodmare pool - she's going to Dressage Royal. No question, no debate and not a case of breeding backwards as there are qualities that Waldaire added to her that would be a positive influence on the offspring.

Long story short - it helps to know your mare and what she brings to the table and if a stallion stamps his offspring (or not) and how offspring from either side are to ride.

Hope that helps somewhat.
          Watermark Farm
          Blog
          Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
          You Tube Channel

Comment

Excellent response Tasker.

I too have repeated crosses with a number of mares, a number of times.
            As Tasker said it does help to be clear about what you are breeding for, and what qualities both mare and stallion bring to the cross.

My retired mare Macassa has been bred to A Fine Romance exclusively.
            Although my breeding program is not nearly on the same level as Tasker's,it is also multigenerational.
            I bred AFR myself so I had a clear idea of the characteristics of his sire/dam/siblings that I had also bred myself.
            I had seen Macassa at the track, knew offspring by her sire, knew her breeder and her dam.
            As soon as I saw her at the race track, and saw her pedigree, I knew she was exactly what I was looking for for my small program.
            Each offspring out of her by AFR has been exactly what I was hoping to breed.
            Almost carbon copies of each other - and each replicating the best characteristics of their sire and dam.
            Sane, sound,beautiful athletes, who include an Advanced event horse, winning Grand Prix jumper, and * event horse.
            Sadly she aborted 2 foals at 7 months, and one died at age 2.

I do have her only daughter though and look forward to breeding her, and seeing how this cross carries on into the future.
            A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, bummer Fred! Sorry to hear about the bad luck

This question just crossed my mind because my new filly is 10 times the foal that my Riverman colt was and I am sorely tempted to rebreed her back with the remaining straw I have of Fleetwater Opposition. Sadly, I am a grad student and it just isn't in the cards for me, but when I asked Christine Miller of EMCO WHY he wasn't used more often she stated "That is the question I have been asking myself since my colt was born years ago"

For now, I will save as the future is always an option, but it just got me thinking about repeat crosses and reasons for or against.

Comment

I've done a repeat cross with my heart horse and Silvermoon. I spent literally months researching stallions and had very strict criteria for the stallion: must have done GP dressage and/or sired GP dressage horses with a high % of offspring being successful. Must be line bred. Must be from a strong mother line. Must be from a successful stallion line. Must jump. Must be sound and have a good temperament. Must be refining.

As you can imagine there aren't many stallions who tick all of those boxes! When the first foal was born I was delighted. He is very smart and uphill with better movement than his dam. The problem was that he wasn't a filly. So repeating the cross was a very easy decision. Sadly I got yet another colt. He's also lovely. Strangely (to my mind) he's taken more after his dam in his build but he's got more of the elevation and elasticity of his sire.

If I could have done I'd have repeated this cross again and again as it is everything I wanted to take forward in my little breeding programme. As it was Silvermoon moved studs and I can no longer get chilled semen from him which caused me huge problems. I have a mare who has had two lovely foals by a stallion whose lines I cannot get hold of in any other way. And it made me realise that I don't really know what my mare put into the foals and what the stallion was responsible for. Choosing last year's stallion was very difficult. I'm still not totally sure about this year's stallion either and won't be until I see what she throws to a completely different stamp of stallion with different bloodlines.

And then of course there's the riding and competing aspect. I wont know about that until my mare is long retired from breeding. It is all a gamble isn't it? And this is with a mare I've known and ridden since she was a foal. I know her inside out. But I still don't know her well enough to find it easy choosing a stallion.

Comment

This is something i have been wondering about lately as well, as someone who uses frozen semen only and always use a different stallion every time

Sometimes it takes longer than the 30 day heat to know you want to repeat a mating, well for me anyway. Often foals just dont show their movement til they are a bit older

I am sure if i had my own stallion then i would be repeating matings all the time, but with frozen semen, the list is endless and possibilites always seem so exciting

i have bred the best filly i have ever bred this year by Sir Donnerhall but didnt realise how good she was until after her dam was confirmed in foal to Furstenball

I will definately be repeating the mating again as soon as possible though

I have wanted to repeat matings of other foals before - really good moving foals but havent, as one was too hot in temperament and another too heavy in type - various reasons, and i have wondered in fact how similar full siblings are or are not

i have seen it in TBs bred for racing which i have had alot to do with - where one full brother is tops on the track and at stud but the next one is a dud in every way

i think this has put me off a bit with repeating matings with warmbloods

Paulamc

Comment

For a small breeder, it's putting a lot of eggs in one basket. We usually rotate among stallions we like, and will go back if the foal develops well - but not necessarily on the next cycle unless we judge the foal SPECTACULAR. We've done that, twice.

And we've got one cross that ALWAYS produces our favorite baby - we're on our fourth in a row on this one.

Comment

I'm a big believer in doing something that works.

When I have a cross that is excellent again and again -- well, why mess with success?

My best/favorite cross is one I have now done 6 times, and am going to rebreed the mare soon for another. I think number 6 might be her best foal yet.

I actually bought a full sister to her so I could try those genetics with some other pedigrees, since the older sister is such a great producer. So far I'm thrilled with the younger sister's first foal.

I've also kept two fillies from the mare (and would have kept a third, but sadly lost her in a pasture accident as a yearling) and both of them had outstanding first foals for me.
                      Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                      Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I have done repeat crosses but I have also experiemented too. I have to say that the two fillies I have bred this year have delighted me so much that a repeat breeding is on the cards for both the mares, but in a few years time as I am not recovering the mares this year
                        www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Comment

Originally posted by rideagoldenpony View Post
                          I'm a big believer in doing something that works.
                          I agree. If a cross is successful I wouldn't hesitate to repeat it, unless perhaps you're breeding to keep for yourself (to build a breeding program, for example) and don't want to end up with all of your horses too closely related.

I have a mare/stallion combination which produced two consecutive National Champion foals, so I repeated the cross a third time (foal #3 was born two weeks ago), and she'll be rebred to the same stallion for repeat #4. I guess I'm in rideagoldenpony's camp of "why mess with success"
                          River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Comment

We always have owned our own stallions and mares - picked for the best qualities. If a cross works to produce what we want, we stay with it. Puchi's Rambo bred to one black TB mare produced exceptionally nice, painted TB's 7 out of 7 breedings. If I was breeding to outside stallions, I "might" switch off occassionally to see if I could breed something even better!!
                            www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                            Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

lack of system in the U.S.

Originally posted by TSHEventing View Post
                              Stupid auto correct...apologize for previous title error! I don't see that many. Is it like a slot machine where the player hopes the next pull is genetic jackpot?

For those that have done it, what were you criteria or reasons for the decision? Did you make it pre- or post- foaling? I'm curious on these breeding choices made so rarely.
                              This is one major difference between North American and Euroipean breeders. In Europe, knowing the bloodlines, the history and being current on performance data enables breeders to make educated choices - and at the same time they also BELIEVE in that system and they stick with decisions and only make drastic changes after careful evaluation of the finished product. So they keep repeating successful crosses for a while. They are also aware of the fact that in order to achieve genetic progress, you have to bring in successful young daughters of good production mares into the program - and when that happens, they have to switch stallions as well.

Breeding decisions in North America, in general, are more emotional. Decisions in both stallion selection and mare culling tend to be based on more superficial information, fads, fashion and a lot of emotion rather than cold hard facts. People, in general, are also less steadfast and less patient, thus they will rarely repeat crosses, or only return to the successful cross after several less successful attempts to re-invent the wheel.

The two worlds are different. While the European protocol is clearly more conducive to producing top sporthorses, the American way is more experimental - and for a lot of folks is more fun (satisfies the inner gambler within them).
                              Andras
                              http://www.prairiepinesfarm.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SfHHhoc_8
                              http://www.andrasszieberthtraining.blogspot.com

Comment

Szipi - might just be terminology, but IMO the "European system" you're describing will produce more consistency, but with no assurance whatsoever of improvement. The "American system" you're describing will certainly have a wider range of results, but statistically should have a higher probability of spectactular (as well as awful).

Comment

There was another thread on this topic recently.

I have done many repeat breedings over the years. Repeating a breeding is a great way to learn how strong (or not) a mare is in passing on traits.

Once I get a reliable, truly excellent cross, I am likely to repeat it frequently. To date, the most successful has been the Fidertanz cross with my Wolkentanz I/ Rohdiamant/ Freiherr/ Aktuell mare. It is consistent and it gives many more strong plusses than negatives. This year I have my 5th on the ground and have bred a 6th for 2013.

I have two daughters from the above cross and plan to breed them in the future. Those will hopefully carry the development forward. That is the model that Andras speaks of above - bringing in top daughters of top producing mares and going forward with new crosses with new stallions.

It is this sort of thing that makes breeding truly fascinating.
                                  Mary Lou
                                  http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

I did

I was trying to breed two mares to the same stallion and one didn't take so I had a breedback for the next year. I didn't decide to actually use it until after the first foal was born though. I'm very glad I did as the first born decided she wanted to jump and I wanted to do dressage. The second one is perfectly happy doing dressage with me.
                                    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

I'm doing a repeat cross this year. I breed mostly with eventing in mind....but I bred my mare Whizzo (Zoe) with dressage and re-sale in mind (bred her to Donarweiss)...but wanted to make sure the offspring could jump too The first foal is outstanding--she really just keeps getting better. I hadn't intended to repeat the cross....as I was thinking of crossing the mare to a TB for an eventer. But after seeing the foal...the decision to repeat the cross was darn easy. Now letting go of this cute filly...might not be so easy
                                      ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

Im not sure if you are getting the point

Originally posted by secretariat View Post
                                        Szipi - might just be terminology, but IMO the "European system" you're describing will produce more consistency, but with no assurance whatsoever of improvement. The "American system" you're describing will certainly have a wider range of results, but statistically should have a higher probability of spectactular (as well as awful).
                                        I think you have totally missed the point:

Only a rational, proven and science-based system will produce consistent results, by taking into account successes and faliures of the genetic and training experiment combined - thus producing improvement.

Having no system and constantly relying on outcrosses (F-1 crosses) does not lead to anything. Unfortunately. That, combined with no consistent training system results in very very low rate of top performers. The other unfortunate event is that on the really really rare chance, that one of these haphazardly bred horses happens to have a lot of talent and survives the less than ideal trainig/competition system, and makes it to be a top horse, a lot of dilettants hail it as an example to promote baseless breeding practices - and the superiority of randomness over science and science-based breeding.

If you doubt my points, please look at statistical data.
                                        Andras
                                        http://www.prairiepinesfarm.com
                                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4SfHHhoc_8
                                        http://www.andrasszieberthtraining.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X