• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell me about Contendro 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Contendro 1

Ok, more stallion info please! Contendro is a stallion I have really noticed the last few years, I am in love with his type and I especially like the fact that he passes on movement AND jump! So, what kind of mare does he do best with? What is the semen like? Anyone with offspring, I would LOVE to see pics and info about the dam ect...

How do you think he would cross with a BIG, older style mare that needs reduced height and a nicer trot?

Also, does anyone know if he is Homozygous dark ? I don't think I have ever seen a chestnut Contendro.
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

I bred a Polydor/Phantom mare to Contendro this year, because of his jumping ability and his tendency to NOT add size. The mare isn't old style, but she is a little heavier and is a big 16.3 hands. I have heard that he will not add size, so that was perfect for me. His jumping index is incredible and I have loved all of his offspring that I have seen. I've never seen a chestnut. either?
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

• Original Poster

Hillside,
      Thanks for the response. My mare is 16.3 as well but throws super tall foals and so he sounds good this way. How was the semen?
      www.svhanoverians.com

Comment

I love Contendro!!! My friends call me "Contendro's Biggest Fan", I have had 3 foals by him and tried this year but it was not in the cards. He niches really well with big old fashion mares. Ask any questions and I will try to answer them concerning my foals and mares.
        Photos and videos of my beloved boys and girls!
        http://community.webshots.com/user/cathykb
        http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/cathykb/
        http://www.clipshack.com/9424

Comment

CathyKb - First let me say, I love the youngsters you've produced!
          What qualities do you think Contendro consistently produced with your youngsters? What things were you looking to improve, if any, with your mares?

Comment

My friends call me "Contendro's Biggest Fan",
            Thats an understatement!!
            www.spindletopfarm.net
            Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
            "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

BNH - Thank you! He seems to produce great necksets, shoulders, hips, shortens backs and also produces foals that reach 16 to 16.2 hands. He will not add height to a mare. They have perfect legs and feet. Also they are bouncing balls, very elastic movers and certainly could be a dressage horse. The main thing is that they are jumpers and love it. My two 4yr olds owner's said they want another one, very trainable, talented, smart and they love and want to work, that is when they are the happiest.

STF
              My friends call me "Contendro's Biggest Fan",
              Thats an understatement!!
              OK so I am a Contendro groupie, stalker, and dying wish to see him in person kinda of person.
              Photos and videos of my beloved boys and girls!
              http://community.webshots.com/user/cathykb
              http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/cathykb/
              http://www.clipshack.com/9424

Comment

Thanks! That is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. He is a lovely boy. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the flesh either!

Comment

Just a small hijack - He is a nice stallion, is he EVA negative?
                  Epona Farm
                  Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

He has always been on the top of my list for my Emilion mare - just a little worried about all the crosses to Ramiro as she has Ramiro on the bottom as well. But I LOVE him and love what he is throwing. Con Pleasure and Charming Boy are two examples of AWESOME approved stallions by him. There are videos' on both stallion sites if anyone wishes to see what he is producing.
                    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
                    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
                    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Comment

Originally posted by CathyKb View Post
                      BNH - Thank you! He seems to produce great necksets, shoulders, hips, shortens backs and also produces foals that reach 16 to 16.2 hands. He will not add height to a mare. They have perfect legs and feet. Also they are bouncing balls, very elastic movers and certainly could be a dressage horse. The main thing is that they are jumpers and love it. My two 4yr olds owner's said they want another one, very trainable, talented, smart and they love and want to work, that is when they are the happiest.

STF

OK so I am a Contendro groupie, stalker, and dying wish to see him in person kinda of person.

Now Cathy, I've told you before, all you have to do is come to Germany with me on one of my trips. I stay near Famos and see him frequently. You could even kiss his nose.
                      Linda
                      Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
                      Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
                      http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Comment

• Original Poster

Cathy,
                        Your Contendros are just to die for! It is really sounding like he would suit this particular mare. What were the heights of the mares that you used, and did Contendro decrease the height?

I notice that his grandam is the dam of Conteur, another stallion I like alot. I have searched all over youtube as well as the auctions sites and still haven't seen a chestnut. I really think he might be homozygous, which doesn't hurt.

Linda, what do you think of him?
                        www.svhanoverians.com

Comment

Originally posted by Donella View Post
                          Hillside,
                          Thanks for the response. My mare is 16.3 as well but throws super tall foals and so he sounds good this way. How was the semen?

The semen was great. I bought two doses, in case it didn't work the first time around. The only bad thing was that my semen must have been mis-handled somewhere along the way, as some of the straws cracked/exploded when they were thawed. Because of that I ended up breeding with a little less than one full dose and still got a pregnancy on the first try (18 year old mare).
                          Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

I have a two year old Contendro filly out of my Voltaire / Wellington mare. She is 17.1 hands at 26 months. Soooooo, I think that he adds size ( or the mare does LOL). My girl was filly champion of her foal inspection and is everything that I could have dreamed of in a mare. We have tried for a reapeat of the cross with no luck.
                            Holly
                            www.ironhorsefrm.com
                            Oldenburg foals and young prospects
                            LIKE us on Facebook!

Comment

Originally posted by Donella View Post
                              Cathy,
                              Your Contendros are just to die for! It is really sounding like he would suit this particular mare. What were the heights of the mares that you used, and did Contendro decrease the height?

I notice that his grandam is the dam of Conteur, another stallion I like alot. I have searched all over youtube as well as the auctions sites and still haven't seen a chestnut. I really think he might be homozygous, which doesn't hurt.

Linda, what do you think of him?

Talking about Conteur, I really like this young guy -
                              http://www.klatte.de/HengsteEng/catan.html
                              www.spindletopfarm.net
                              Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
                              "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Comment

Caretano Z

The advice from the owners, is that he a little short in the neck, so needs a mare with a long elegant neck.

As an alternative, you may want to look at his Uterine brother Caretano Z (Caretino x Reichsgraf x Rasputin x Tin Rod xx). Evidently Bravo (104a) was a very good mare. Caretano Z gives a little more blood but still gives the movement. His best moving example if Chequille Z who Emma Hindle (GBR) is aiming at London 2012, even though his breeding is purely jumping.

1200€ frozen, live foal guarantee.

http://www.zangersheide.com

Comment

We've used Contendro once and have been extremely pleased with the resulting foal:

http://www.germanhorseconnection.com.../details/01676

He qualified for the Westfalian main licensing in 2007 but ended up not going. I'm curious to see what he does under saddle

I can reiterate the comment about him not adding length of neck. You also want to make sure you have a decent size established in the mareline. Jumping technique seems to be very good and consistant in his offspring. They also have great brains.
                                  The frozen semen is reported to be excellent. Good luck
                                  Froh zu sein bedarf es wenig...
                                  http://www.germanhorseconnection.com
                                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Germa...m/237648984580

Comment

I love my contentro mare...

I've been riding a Contendro mare for Sylvan Farms. She's fabulous.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jessica.heidemann/Carley

Those pix are from last year. She's come a long ways. A bouncing ball full of noodles is probably the best description for her She can be tough to keep straight but is althletic as all get-up.

I've been Eventing her and she's won the dressage at 3 of her 4 recognized shows with scores of 78.4%, 78%, and 76%. The 4th show she was spooked by a kid zooming around on a 4-wheeler...I almost killed him.

She's an AMAZING jumper...very careful but still brave once she understands the question. I'm having to be careful not to push her too fast. At home she's ready for so much more but she's still not quite mentally ready to move up at shows because of the atmosphere and all the people milling around. But she's only 6 so I just have to tell myself to be more patient!

Her jump is SO athletic. She's not always perfect with her form and at times makes up for it by overjumping by a mile.

I'm going to post more pix on the site above with more recent photos. She's not overjumping so much any more and her technique has improved 10-fold. I'll post again when the new pictures are up.

Comment

Contendro needs a big framey mare. He'll shorten the back and won't add size (unless the mare is known to have dominant genes and produces size). I don't know what Caretano Z's jumping index is, but it would be pretty hard to beat Contendro's. I'm thinking of Contendro for one of my bigger, longer backed, old fashioned type mares, an Ahorn-Ronald mare, that I think would be great for him.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!
                                      http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
                                      CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
                                      Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
                                      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Comment

I understand that he is pretty light boned so wonder how he would cross with a half TB mare, other half Hanoverian. Any ideas?? She has the size and long neck!!
                                        http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                        X