• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

When Does Personality Really Appear in Horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Does Personality Really Appear in Horses?

By what age do you think foals develop their personality?
    I have heard good and bad things about the personality of other foals by Voltaire. My baby, so far, is one of the quietest horses, let alone foals, I have ever been around.
    He is almost 4 months old. If he were to be one of the crazy ones, is it likely to have already shown up? Will he hit puberty and turn whacko? Anyone else have general experience in this, and particular experience with Voltaire babies?
    He has been handled daily since birth by very experienced people, and has always been treated well, so whatever his temperament turns out to be, it won't be worse for his interaction with people (I hope to keep it that way).

Mine

I have two homebreds. I was there at their birth and have raised them since. One is 5 and one is 4 and they are full sisters. They are nothing alike and have had the same basic personalities since birth.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

My filly is three now and her personality is the same from day one. I too was there at her birth. She has always been very bold and curious and if allowed, could be pushy. She is not allowed. She is very confident and lets you know she should be the center of attention at all times.

Comment

Their personality is expressed from the onset. However, whether the foal is quiet or more alert/reactive, doesn't necessarily indicate how they will respond to training. You can only evaluate your foal's response to "training" by how he/she responds to being haltered, led, handled, putting a bit of pressure on and the response to that is more indicative of how they will respond later on when the real training starts. I've seen some very sweet, easy going horses on the ground, but when they are asked to work or do something outside the comfort zone, you find out what they are all about. JMHO -- good luck!
        PennyG

Comment

My new vet said something interesting last week. He told me that the best predictor of personality in horses that he has seen is to put them out for gelding, and then watch how they wake up. The ones who spring up and look around like something is going to eat them will be nervous and high-strung under saddle. The ones who take their time and let you help them get their legs into position will be the quiet, easy-going ones under saddle. He said he has never seen it fail.

I hope he is right, because when we gelded my boy we had to drag him back up so the vet could leave. He was more than content to just stay laying on the ground.

I personally think that, as with any animal, they are what they are when they are born. You can teach them skills to help cope with the demands we put on them, but their basic nature will always be the same. When they are frightened or stressed, they will always revert back to that same basic nature.

Comment

Our Anglo Trakehner was a hoot from day 1. He was having a good time in my lap, even before his hindquarters were delivered!

Comment

Originally posted by bassy View Post
              I have heard good and bad things about the personality of other foals by Voltaire. My baby, so far, is one of the quietest horses, let alone foals, I have ever been around.
              He is almost 4 months old. If he were to be one of the crazy ones, is it likely to have already shown up? Will he hit puberty and turn whacko? Anyone else have general experience in this, and particular experience with Voltaire babies?
              He has been handled daily since birth by very experienced people, and has always been treated well, so whatever his temperament turns out to be, it won't be worse for his interaction with people (I hope to keep it that way).
              Well personality and work ethic are not the same thing. I think the basic personality is there from the get go: high strung/bold/etc.
              I have a mare that is a very sweet/huggable sort and loves attention in the barn. Her work ethic is not so good and we have spent a year now trying to work past that and are finally getting somewhere....compounded by the fact she thinks the Boogie Man lives behind every tree.
              As to Voltaire in particular....I have known 2 direct Voltaire sons. One is a sweetie in the barn (he is the barn clown) but under saddle he is a difficult ride. The other can be nice or can be nasty in the barn as the whim hits him (the whim to be bad is primarily when he is pushed to do something he does not want to do) and is also a difficult ride. Both have brains that fry easily under stress/are prone to meltdowns. And FWIW neither can jump very well.
              Providence Farm
              http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yep, as the breeders have said, personality is just dang BORN into them! Work ethic and such come later. I have also noticed that the way in which the foal is raised for years 1 and 2 has a lot to do with how they live the rest of their lives, if they generally have responsibility for manners but also freedom and fun they seem to adjust better to "work" then the foals who are never touched OR the ones who were overmanaged. Just my humble opinion.

My favorite filly (Blythewood Pop Quiz, 05 Morgan) was born sweet and cuddly and willing to follow direction (had to show her where the milk bar was for the first few meals) and now shows the same persona about human interaction in regards to the first saddle work etc. I wish I had the funds to purchase and maintain her for my own pleasure. A doll from day 1!
                Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

I think they always have the same personality, unless something drastic happens which makes them more skitty etc.

Comment

personality

Wow, love seeing the views on this. So very interesting. I have a 3 yr. old by my stallion that as a yrling, I was ready to give her away. Great mover, good looking...and the brain of a gnat. super spooky and reactive, hard way to go w/everything(so unlike anything else on the farm)..then she turned 2..I had a different pony. Sweet, easy going...like a light bulb went off in her tiny brain. First time u/s, she did w/t/c, all business and a great work ethic. As Wynn always tells me, "Don't judge them too soon."
                    Fox Ridge

Champ. Welsh Lands End The Colonels Fox
                    Fox Ridge Welsh ponies on fb

Comment

Personality is there from birth, but much of their behavior is influenced by their dam.
                      Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                      "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

The personality vs. work ethic goes both ways too. We have had a couple horses here that did not have the nicest personalities in the barn (one just wanted to be left alone/was a loner/didn't like grooming and being fussed over......and the other could be a downright witch) but both were all business under saddle and great horses to ride.
                        Providence Farm
                        http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bassy View Post
                          They literally arrive with their full personalities in tact. You can train them up a bit but they are who they are from the moment they are hatched. My most difficult baby was halfway out and sat up and screamed at his mommy, shaking her whole body and refused to let me dry off his ears and head with a towel. I mean picture it, this wet head and shoulders and me on my knees next to him and he kept bobbing and dodging and protesting and he wasn't even fully born yet, the umbilical cord was still attached and his hips and hind legs were still in the birth canal. I actually remember saying to him that he was sure a handful and could he at least wait until he got out of his mom to give her his opinion? I gently pulled him out and never did get to fully dry his head off the way I wanted to and struggled with haltering him for two years!!!!!
                          He is by far the most difficult horse I have ever owned and I am a thoroughbred breeder, so I know hyper, quick, and naughty, well.
                          My quietest horse was like a half asleep labrador retriever and when she gave birth she lay on her side, pushed and out her baby popped. She must have been a Scientologist because I have never had a horse have a "silent" birth but not a groan out of her. She never did anything wrong ever, taught her to lead in one lesson when she was a baby and she never, ever bucked or kicked or nipped, ever.

Comment

My 4yr old (Anglo Arab) has been an opinionated little **** from the day he was born. He never even spoke to his mum on arrival! He will do anything if it is what he wants to do, will not co-operate at all if pain is involved - eg mane pulling, having an injection. Took 20 mins to get the first sedative in to geld him, he ran away and fell in the fence first. Lay for ages on the ground, but when he got up walked off straight away.

My 2 yr old (Holsteiner/Clyde) is so laid back he is a clown. Very in your face, friendly, always comes when called. He was recently gelded and lay on the ground for ever, rolled onto his brisket and then carried on snoozing. Totally forgiving of all nasty things he had a lot of antibiotics after being gelded - everything swelled up to mega proportions - but was really good. He will tolerate anything if food is involved.

My weanling (Andalusian/TB) is a dainty wee lady, very independent but also easy to work with. Very smart, gets her head collar off on a regular basis and then goes ferel on me! She is very inquisitive and comes when called yelling back to me.

Comment

Ok, just wondering, not intended to start a free for all -- but in discussing Voltaire, there seems to be a fair number that have work ethic issues --I know the mare is a big part, too. However, this question is for someone "knowledgable" about the bloodlines -- does this come from Furioso? The reason I ask is because the only Furioso son I ever knew was very difficult, so I know that is not a reliable "base", but it did make me wonder after reading this thread and another one about Voltaire. That said, I admire Voltaire very much for his looks and talent and what he has brought to the competition world and gene pool.
                              TIA
                              PennyG

Comment

Another vote for "day 1". We can tell right away which ones are going to be super easy and which ones will take more effort. Trainability and work ethic should also be ascertainable from very early on.
                                Signature Sporthorses
                                www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

When they hit the ground.

It's funny when our horse was born I swear he recognized us. From hearing our voices when he was in utero.

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, this is really interesting to read! A bit scary too, I really hope his temperament doesn't change under saddle.
                                    This boy has been "put to work" in a way. I had a Pirelli instructor out a week ago, and she was very impressed by what he knew. She taught him to put his nose on something in about 30 seconds. He did show a behavior I will attempt to describe without applying a label.
                                    She tried to teach him to back up with a hand signal. She started with a "grade 1" aid, which was pointing her finger at his forehead and leaning into him. Then, she went on to grade 2, up until the highest grade, where you wave your hands at them and get in their face. He basically was totally non reactive, and only backed up when we got to the highest grade. He still didn't run, but just stepped back slowly. It didn't help too much that his mom was in view and we were asking him to back away from her. Anyway, she worked on that for about 5 minutes, with only a slightly better response at the end. He never got rattled, however, which I liked. I am not sure whether to label that stubborn, because to me, he just didn't get it, but he doesn't seem "slow" either. On things like giving the head, moving away from pressure, etc, he did very well.
                                    He is the barn favorite, but he is the only warmblood amonst a barn of racehorse babies, so he should be a bit easier to handle then them by blood. Mom was a registered racing TB, but had a GREAT temperament. This guy is an embryo transfer, so the mare he is with is not related to him. From what I see, his temperament had to be genetic, as his recipient mare mom is not nearly as calm and collected as he is. I had no choice in the dam, it was all timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampton Bay View Post
                                      My new vet said something interesting last week. He told me that the best predictor of personality in horses that he has seen is to put them out for gelding, and then watch how they wake up. The ones who spring up and look around like something is going to eat them will be nervous and high-strung under saddle. The ones who take their time and let you help them get their legs into position will be the quiet, easy-going ones under saddle. He said he has never seen it fail.

I hope he is right, because when we gelded my boy we had to drag him back up so the vet could leave. He was more than content to just stay laying on the ground.

I personally think that, as with any animal, they are what they are when they are born. You can teach them skills to help cope with the demands we put on them, but their basic nature will always be the same. When they are frightened or stressed, they will always revert back to that same basic nature.
                                      I hope your vet is right too! I have never seen a beastie who was more calm and sensible coming out of it than my guy was waking up from gelding. He stayed down and quiet until he was ready, got sternal and rested for a while, then collected himself and just stood up. And that was it. There was no drama, no staggering around. Of course, he's been a pretty mellow fellow since he was born. The breeder says he's "an old soul". I believe they are who they are from day one too
                                      Y'all ain't right!

Comment

Working...
                                      X