• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Preventive Measures for Placentitis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventive Measures for Placentitis?

I haven't bred this particular mare yet but am planning on doing so in the next few months, she has already had one really bad delivery due to placentitis and I want to prevent a second.
    I have already cultured/biopsied her and everything is completely normal. I do plan on one more culture before we breed.
    Yes, she has already been caslicked. I'm lucky to be located between several equine reproductive clinics, Premier Breeding will be doing the actual breeding but I am about an hour away from Royal Vista & CSU. I'm looking for recommendations. Do you ultra sound every month/two weeks/week and at what point & starting when? Are ultrasounds a great indicator? Do you start on SMZ at a certain point, regardless? I'm just looking for what works and what doesn't.

Thanks so much!!!

For what it's worth, my mare that is currently experiencing premature lactation and what we think is placentitis has always cultured clean and has had only the very best biopsy results. All her mare parts are tight and tidy and no discharge. We don't really know why she is bagging up now as the vet exam didn't show anything. We are still treating as placentitis. This is a frozen baby we hope to see someday. Hope to see some comments here about preventive measures, and I wish I could offer something to your inquiry.
    www.forwardfarms.com.
    Follow us on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forwar...s/192796641203

Comment

One of my mares had a nasty case of aspergillus placentitis, which was hell to clean up.
      In her case this is what we found:
      1. When doing a culture, take samples in several different areas of the uterus. Best to flush out the uterus and then culture the brew that comes out.
      2. Avoid hormonal manipulation. In my mare's case the hormones to make her come in heat and those to make her ovulate is what messed her up.
      The foal miraculously survived but was born at day 322, dysmature, small and it was a red bag delivery. It took us the whole rest of the year to treat the infection, but it worked.
      The next year she got pregnant with no problem and carried to term a large healthy colt. We did not use any hormonal manipulation.
      Surprisingly the placentitis foal grew up to be a large, healthy now almost three years old, never sick a day in his life !
      Good luck !
      http://sporthorsesnw.com/
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...01526589966216

Comment

Have only ever had one case of suspected placentitis so did a little research on preventative measures at the time.

All that I could really find, addressed rigerous hygene at the time of insemination. AI being an invasive procedure can obviously introduce bacteria to the uterus which can develop slowly over a course of many months infecting the placenta, the use of antibiotics post insemination which apparently a number of equine reproduction vets are doing routinely now (?) is one prevantative measure that seems to be practiced by a number of equine reproduction vets.

Sadly in our case the mare whilst treated long term 275 - 411 days for placentitis, ended up foaling twins. One deceased the size of a cat which had evidently died at 275 days and the other which weighed aproximately 20kgs survived but had to be PTS at aproximately 3 months of age.

Our vet was unable to detect the twin, the mare had been scanned at 15, 30 and 60 days with a singleton, rectally examined when showed signs of aborting, scanned multiple times over many weeks in the lead up to foaling.

Fingers crossed all goes well for your mare Indy Lou. In hind sight now I'm not sure I would interfere with nature again unless the vet had a confirmed diagnosis of placentitis.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Elfe View Post
          One of my mares had a nasty case of aspergillus placentitis, which was hell to clean up.
          In her case this is what we found:
          1. When doing a culture, take samples in several different areas of the uterus. Best to flush out the uterus and then culture the brew that comes out.
          2. Avoid hormonal manipulation. In my mare's case the hormones to make her come in heat and those to make her ovulate is what messed her up.
          The foal miraculously survived but was born at day 322, dysmature, small and it was a red bag delivery. It took us the whole rest of the year to treat the infection, but it worked.
          The next year she got pregnant with no problem and carried to term a large healthy colt. We did not use any hormonal manipulation.
          Surprisingly the placentitis foal grew up to be a large, healthy now almost three years old, never sick a day in his life !
          Good luck !
          Could you explain why/how hormonal manipulation mess her up?
          I think if this mare does start to show signs of placentitis, I'm not comfortable using regumate again.

Comment

Originally posted by L&L View Post
            Have only ever had one case of suspected placentitis so did a little research on preventative measures at the time.

All that I could really find, addressed rigerous hygene at the time of insemination. AI being an invasive procedure can obviously introduce bacteria to the uterus which can develop slowly over a course of many months infecting the placenta, the use of antibiotics post insemination which apparently a number of equine reproduction vets are doing routinely now (?) is one prevantative measure that seems to be practiced by a number of equine reproduction vets.
            Best thing is to be very aggressive about prevention; like L&L posted. As an RN, I took the CSU class and learned how to do my AI. Later, when I observed many vets do "field" AI, I was appalled at how casual they were about using aseptic technique. Afew even made fun of me and pointed out "horses live in mud".

The two cases of placentitis I have experienced were from different causes and neither mare repeated the experience. I think the first was from repeated AI attempts in that season (some 3 frozen attempts & 2 chilled attempts by 2 different vets in one season).

That case was discovered late in the pregnancy (7-8th month?). I discovered a bag and milk dripping. She was started on SMZ (and maybe Regumate -- it was a long time ago) for several weeks, then stopped. She delivered a normal, healthy foal in a normal time frame.

However, exam of the placenta revealed the infection was in the non-pregnant horn (so it was not "ascending placentitis" which is the norm) that that could be what saved the pregnancy. Three other foals were born to this mare and no other infections.

The other mare was a maiden and bred live cover. It was a pasture breeding and the vet felt perhaps she was overbred.

I discovered her dripping milk about 6 weeks before her due date and she aborted before I could even get the vet out.

I DO get a baseline ultrasound of the placenta about 90-120 days, but any mare who repeatedly gets placentitis has serious issues and probably should not be re-bred, unless it's via ET.

Comment

Hormonal manipulation cannot cause a uterine infection. Using AI (chilled & frozen) on all my WB mares, I manipulate all my mares with hormones each season.

I've had 2 cases of placentitis. One was in a mare who had no hormonal manipulation and was bred LC...just as Nature intended. She aborted because of the infection. So one has nothing to do with the other. What causes placentitis is introduction of pathogens into the uterus/placenta. Period.
              Last edited by Kyzteke; Feb. 21, 2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

With a "normal" mare with a healthy reprod tract and a expert reproductive vet, it should be unlikely to have a repeat of placentitis?!

My mares history:
                This will only be her third pregnancy.
                The first she aborted twins around 8 months gestation (even with multiple checks). We than immediately rebreed (which is where I think my mistake was or atleast I hope it was). That pregnancy she was diagnoised with placentitis around day 305 we than put her on regumate & SMZ. The foal was delivered around 318 and survived but was a very expensive & stressful situation, so I would like to avoid a repeat.
                But as I said everything has checked out clean for her & I do plan on doing one more culture before we breed.

So the question is, would it be worth trying again? If so, would there be additional measures to take or things to watch out for?

Comment

Originally posted by jenbrin View Post
                  Could you explain why/how hormonal manipulation mess her up?
                  I think if this mare does start to show signs of placentitis, I'm not comfortable using regumate again.
                  Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                  Hormonal manipulation cannot cause a uterine infection. Using AI (chilled & frozen) on all my WB mares, I manipulate all my mares with hormones each season.

I've had 2 cases of placentitis. One was in a mare who had no hormonal manipulation and was bred LC...just as Nature intended. She aborted because of the infection. So one has nothing to do with the other. What causes placentitis is introduction of pathogens into the uterus/placenta. Period.
                  The way it was explained to me is that in some mares the hormonal manipulation messes with their immune system, making them more susceptible to infection. So it is not the hormones themselves that produce the infection, just the uterine environment that ensues.
                  Please keep in mind that not all mares are the same. For this particular mare it was pretty obvious since she was cycled and recycled at least three different consecutive times and not only did she get infected she also produced anovulatory follicles each time. Stopped all hormones and got pregnant on one insemination with no problem.
                  Keep in mind that fungal infections can also be the result of antibiotic treatment.
                  As far as I am concerned, at least for this particular mare, no hormones. Since her heats and ovulations are quite normal and predictable, there is no reason to mess with hormones. If I decide to use frozen she will have to go to a clinic and be checked every six hours until she ovulates. Small price to pay compared to what it cost me the other way !
                  http://sporthorsesnw.com/
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sport...01526589966216

Comment

Originally posted by L&L View Post

Fingers crossed all goes well for your mare Indy Lou. In hind sight now I'm not sure I would interfere with nature again unless the vet had a confirmed diagnosis of placentitis.
                    Thank you. Truth be told, I am very ambivalent about treating in this instance, and go back and forth in my mind quite a bit. I'm taking it one day at a time. I think my vet is ambivalent also, but she presented options with study results, etc. etc. like she always does. And one study that was cited re: mares who were experimentally induced with pathogens to cause a placentitis had the same outcomes percentage-wise for treatment vs non-treatment. Where's that crystal ball?
                    www.forwardfarms.com.
                    Follow us on Facebook:

Comment

Originally posted by Indy-lou View Post
                      We don't really know why she is bagging up now as the vet exam didn't show anything. We are still treating as placentitis. This is a frozen baby we hope to see someday. Hope to see some comments here about preventive measures, and I wish I could offer something to your inquiry.
                      Twins? You can also do a CTUP measurement to see if it is placentitis. Although not definitive, it can help determining. Good luck!
                      Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
                      Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

The hormones used to short cycle a mare and to accelerate ovulation would not cause issues with placentitis/infection. Prostaglandin is used to short cycle and is a naturally occurring hormone that the mare releases to resolve the CL herself. The hormones used to stimulate ovulation do nothing more than that - cause the follicle to mature more quickly, but again would have NO influence on causing an infection or impacting a placentitis. One that CAN cause issues is Regumate or progesterone. Both of those, if given inappropriately can most emphatically cause an issue. If given before things have cleared out of the uterus sufficiently, e.g., earlier than three days post ovulation - they can cause the cervix to close down prematurely and thereby effectively trapping unwanted debris in the uterus.

Just wanted to be really clear on the above.

Comment

With mares that are "compromised" (incompetent cervix, repeated bouts of placentitis, etc.) we typically will put them on a prophylactic course of an antibiotic such as SMZ's one out of every four weeks throughout the pregnancy. Discuss this option with your vet if you own such a mare. It is NOT a preventive treatment program simply to relieve a mare owner's stress over the possibility of placentitis, however. Good luck to all and hope the above helps!

Comment

I found this article very informative

Wish there was one, :/ very tough call.

I can only pass comment on my own experience. The regumate categorically reversed impending labour (swollen bag, running milk, total muscle relaxation extended vulva etc) and in light of the condition the dead twin was in when it did finally present itself at a gestation period of 411 days the antibiotics and anti-imflammatories must have certainly played a role in keeping infection to a minimum, the placenta was certainly not very healthy looking either. :/

I honestly don't know what I would do if a similar situation were to arise again. Can only keep my fingers and toes crossed for you.

p.s how many days gestation is she?

Comment

L & L, my mare is now 263 days gestation. Other than fine one day and lactating the next, the mare hasn't been distressed at all. All parts tight and tidy, appetite normal (the day this mare stops eating is the day we gas up the backhoe). Very different from the no-doubt- it- was- placentitis experience with another mare, who had a discharge and was very uncomfortable. When that mare finally did abort, what we saw made us wonder how she made it that far. So, this is very different so far.
                              Kathy, we did check this mare 4x up to 60 days for twins, but it's still possible.
                              I've been wondering if there are any studies or diagnostics for ingested mycotoxins. My thought is, maybe she got hold of some mold in the hay (I am very diligent about checking, but my husband less so, and he does the AM feeding), but also because the weather here has been unseasonably warm and while the grass isn't up much, there are sprouts here and there. I don't expect an answer...just throwing that out. My guess is that a there are a lot of mycotoxin related abortions out there and no way to diagnose that's what it was. Anyway, we're only 3.5 days into this "adventure", and I will certainly keep you posted. It does help with the anxiety and helplessness to just be able to talk about here.
                              www.forwardfarms.com.
                              Follow us on Facebook:

Comment

Kathy, I just checked to be sure, and the CTUP for this mare on Saturday was 7. Vet said WNL.
                                www.forwardfarms.com.
                                Follow us on Facebook:

Comment

Originally posted by jenbrin View Post
                                  I haven't bred this particular mare yet but am planning on doing so in the next few months, she has already had one really bad delivery due to placentitis and I want to prevent a second.
                                  I have already cultured/biopsied her and everything is completely normal. I do plan on one more culture before we breed.
                                  Yes, she has already been caslicked. I'm lucky to be located between several equine reproductive clinics, Premier Breeding will be doing the actual breeding but I am about an hour away from Royal Vista & CSU. I'm looking for recommendations. Do you ultra sound every month/two weeks/week and at what point & starting when? Are ultrasounds a great indicator? Do you start on SMZ at a certain point, regardless? I'm just looking for what works and what doesn't.

Thanks so much!!!
                                  Jill Thayer at Royal Vista is amazing. I would do whatever she recommends.

Comment

The one placentitis I've had experience with (after 30-40 foals), was a mare who bagged up, waxed and delivered all in the same day.
                                    Foal was about 315 days, tiny but did just fine, thankfully. I did lose the mare four weeks later to a terrible colic episode in a horrible heat wave.

Comment

Working...
                                    X