• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Personal Space/Weanling Colt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Space/Weanling Colt?

Hello, yes here I am again asking more questions!

I took Ace up north last week to be weaned. He is doing quite well and has a TB mare that he is being turned out with at night.

My question is, he is pretty naughty when you go to clean his stall. I usually just wait until he goes to turnout to clean his stall because he gives me no personal space. He gets pushy and if you shoo him away he only comes back for more. Yes, where he was before is actually where he got that bad habit and is one reason why he is now where he is.

I would like to someday be able to clean his stall while he is in there without him mugging me and trying to knock me down!!

Any suggestions?

just a thought, he is 4.5 months old and is a big strong colt, he has to be at least 550 pounds and 13.2 already, so I would like to stop this behaviour before it gets worse!

Be quick with the elbow now, to prevent possibly serious injury (to you) later. I know it seems mean, but they MUST stay out of your personal space.

There are two ways I know how to work on it.

One, go in there and pay attention to him. When he finally reaches around to "groom" you back with his teeth - push him back firmly and tell him no. Go back to grooming. When he comes at you again, tell him no, etc.

Another way. Ignore him, clean the stall or whatever. When he comes over to molest you, jab him with your elbow in the neck or nose so that he knows he is too close. Look at him and make a noise (growl) so he knows to keep back a bit.
    * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

Comment

• Original Poster

oh, see the elbow thing doesn't work. He just bowls you over. He doesn't bite or attack, he just body slams!

The elbow doesn't faze him at all.

When he was at my friends, it unfortunatly became a game. She would let him mug her and now he thinks it is a funny game.

I am all for being harsh because I know this situation warrants it, but he just is a little smarter then your average foal.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am just not sure what to do to get the reaction I want!

Last time he really got too close I smacked him good on the nose. He jumped back and ran to the end of the stall, and then you could see his little brain thinking of what to do next. What did he do?

Well, he took a running start and lept over the whole wheelbarrel out of the stall into the barn and just stood there looking at me, like "Ha, see, now you can't get me!"

Little stinker, its starting to frustrate me that I can't out think him!

Comment

LOL! That is a bummer the elbow doesn't work.

I'm not a huge fan of smacking on the nose, but I know some people who use it sparingly, with good effect.

I've been pretty lucky, most of my babies have been pocket ponies. But I do have a big strapping colt this year myself (clue: barn name is "Tank") and I wonder if he'll be nippy.

What do other people do?
          * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

Comment

Muck him while he's eating. Otherwise I think it's asking a lot of a weanling. We do stalls with our weaners in them in the winter--we muck them while they eat breakfast, than they go out. They learn pretty quick that way. They also generally tie pretty well by the time they're 6 months or so, so if they have to they can be tied in the stall (with twine at the end of the stall chain.) That way they're not escaping.

Comment

• Original Poster

I did used to tie him before we weaned while I cleaned his stall. That worked fine.

Now I don't clean his stall unless he is out. He would rather bug me then eat anyway

If it is something he will grow out of then I can just give him time, I was just wondering if there is a way to fix this, or it is just something they do.

Comment

My colt - a yearling - was getting really pushing at feeding time. He is 16.2hh - so yes a big boy for a yearling.

I used a dressage whip to lay down the law - not hard but enough that he would respect it and me.

If you are bad the whip comes back - one week of that and he now knows that he stands at the side of his stall until the feed is in the bowl and he doesn't try to leave the stall or push me.

It was the best thing I could have done - he just wasn't being respectful before that but now is really good - I was never mean about it but respect has to be there and he was getting a bit full of himself - this was just about the time that all the mares came into heat. He is not scared of the whip - but he respects it. If he gets pushy it comes back and he knows it. I rarely need to bring it out now.

You have to be the boss with a colt imo.

Comment

He won't grow out of it unless you make him.

I agree with Promodus. Lay down the law a few times, hard, and you'll be much happier. It's far better to make a few decisive corrections than to constantly nag him with little taps.

He's not too young to learn manners -- that should start as soon as they're steady on their legs.

Comment

Lead him with a wire brush attached to your right forearm. When he crowds you he self corrects. Tie him in the stall. If he pushed against you he feels the brush. No harm done just an irritation. It is safer to always tie a horse when grooming anyway, and not to trust a colt/stallion.
                    http://TouchstoneAcres.com
                    Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Comment

The joys of using a plastic pitchfork. A light poke or two may help him to learn to keep his distance.

That said, if he is really just learning to be weaned, I would avoid cleaning when he is in until he is totally settled.

Comment

Originally posted by prodomus View Post
                        My colt - a yearling - was getting really pushing at feeding time. He is 16.2hh - so yes a big boy for a yearling.

I used a dressage whip to lay down the law - not hard but enough that he would respect it and me.

If you are bad the whip comes back - one week of that and he now knows that he stands at the side of his stall until the feed is in the bowl and he doesn't try to leave the stall or push me.

It was the best thing I could have done - he just wasn't being respectful before that but now is really good - I was never mean about it but respect has to be there and he was getting a bit full of himself - this was just about the time that all the mares came into heat. He is not scared of the whip - but he respects it. If he gets pushy it comes back and he knows it. I rarely need to bring it out now.

You have to be the boss with a colt imo.
                        This method works beautifully. I used a crop (not that it really matters.) Also works great for horses that are pushy while being led. If they invade your space, they get a pop.

I figure pop with a whip is a less painful reprimand then what he would receive if he was pushy around another horse...
                        We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Comment

• Original Poster

The crop worked wonders when we started leading him. He is great to lead now, if he get pushy, I just raise the end of the lead rope and he backs off.

I suppose I can try the crop in the stall, although I might need a longer one.

I will give him some time to settle in his new surroundings, I don't want to fry the little guy.

Pitch fork didn't work. That is when he proceeded to jump over the wheel barrel and stand in the aisle smurking at me. (while his mother went crazy and tried to run me down)

Nothing seems to scare him, which is why I could be having the problems I am having. He is extremly bold about everything. When he was little he got his hoof stuck on the wheelbarrel and it flipped over on him. He just layed there and waited for me to lift it off and then he just sat up and looked at me like, that was interesting, then popped up and ran to mom!

I tell ya, these foals are a riot! (when they are not body slamming you!)

Comment

Well, then that little buggar would get tied up.

Comment

What works well with a lot of stallions is to use those plastic kids bats. Just the strange look of them gets their attention, but the sound is an added bonus if needed. I could also try my son's Star Wars light sabers, but I bet he would make me pay to replace them if damaged.

Comment

Originally posted by Samotis View Post
                                I did used to tie him before we weaned while I cleaned his stall. That worked fine.

Now I don't clean his stall unless he is out. He would rather bug me then eat anyway

If it is something he will grow out of then I can just give him time, I was just wondering if there is a way to fix this, or it is just something they do.
                                Fix it NOW, while he is young, not TOO big, and impressionable. They don't out grow it, they just get worse. Make the corrections mean something, don't just pick at him. It is FINE if he is a little afraid of you for awhile. He'll get over it once he learns the lesson. These babies aren't lap dogs and they can/will hurt you if you don't draw the boundaries early and clearly.
                                Laurie

Comment

Would you all consider these corrections (I am thinking dressage whip) to be effective and proper for a one week old colt? Mine was born bucking and kicking.....pretty much as soon as he was up he walloped at me and has now started coming at me and trying to rear. It is playful moves at this point, but he can really get some air time with those back feet and I rather like my brains unscrambled.
                                  Things Take Time

Comment

I would never use a whip on a foal. Babies kick in defence. As soon as they begin to trust you, they quit kicking. Whipping them will not create trust. Use a metal trash can lid so when they kick, it makes noise. If they come at you to play, just push them away, or don't work with them without putting a halter and lead on, so you can control what they do witout resorting to punishment. Never let them play with you.

Comment

• Original Poster

I think if you stop them when they are young, you will have less of a problem.

my problem didn't start until he was at least 3 months. It was because the BO would go in there and let him push her around and now he thinks it is a game. He has never kicked at me and he certainly isn't afraid of me!

At a week old, maybe what fairview said about putting a halter on them would help. Just walk him around with you while you clean the stall and make him stand. It will teach him a little patience and how to lead a little better!

Good luck.

I am just learning all this too, and everyone is right, they aren't play toys, they are big strong animals and it is best to stop any bad behavior, even if it is just playing!

Comment

When I go into the stall I do give scratches on neck and shoulders. If (when) he gets pushy I stop and leave him alone or push him away from me. When he turns to kick out, I try to stay out of the way and yell NO at him. I have had the halter on him almost every day since birth, but no lead rope at this point. I'll start that tonight when I go to clean the stall.
                                        Things Take Time

Comment

Working...
                                        X