• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stallions that consistently produce quality offspring?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallions that consistently produce quality offspring?

I was just curious of which stallions are consistently producing offspring with: Correct gaits, good temperament & are of modern build. Especially, Stallions that seem to improve the canter.

I do understand that the mare has a lot to do with it but in general. Some stallions can be bred to a variety of mares and seem to have consistent traits shown in most of their offspring.

Fresh or Frozen.
    Last edited by Monet Sport Horses; Jan. 6, 2012, 06:19 PM. Reason: editing

Bugatti Hilltop is the first one that comes to mind. Prepare for this list to get very long.
    www.trinitysporthorses.com

Follow us on Facebook!

Comment

Fidertanz has given me exceptional foals every time.
      http://www.anteroequestrian.com

Comment

I like the Cartano everything I have seen from him is freakishly scopey, and they all tend to look the same despite different mare lines. I am also a fan of the few Presley Boy babies I have met, lovely in every way shape and form, I am not sure if he is still available to the public though?

Comment

My list of consistant producers is incredibly short. You can have some that are consistant for certain traits, but do not forget the mare plays a HUGE part in this.

Donnerhall produced great walks, super work ethic, power and talent for collected work, but a bit heavy at times and not nessesarily pretty.
          Rubinstein produced a wonderful ridability, good type, but light hindquarters.
          Florestan produced power, bone, longer backs, expression in the gaits but again, a bit heavy and old fashioned.
          Sandro Hit, super type, great expression in trot. Lacks substance in foundation and is known as a walk "destroyer"

Modern Day Stallions:
          Sir Donnerhall- pretty types, three correct gaits
          Fidertanz- good minds, can be heavy, but powerful.
          Wolkentanz I and II- the best of the Weltmeyer line. Good type, three good gaits.
          Royal Prince- very nice type, good foundation, three correct gaits with walk being a highlight. From all accounts, a good mind as well
          Bugatti has had a good competition career. His offspring look like him, and he is on the smaller side. He himself, has what appears to be three correct gaits and good mind and work ethic.
          Don Principe- modern type, very nice conformation, three very correct gaits with walk and canter being exceptional. GP career. Produces better than himself in type and expression of gaits. Walk is always improved on with any mare. Passes on an exceptional work ethic and personality that prefers people over other horses 100% of the time( disclaimer-I stand this stallion and know most of his kids personally)
          Londonderry produces a consistant type and three very nice gaits.
          Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
          www.marydellfarm.com
          2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
          2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Comment

Originally posted by Marydell View Post

Bugatti has had a good competition career. His offspring look like him, and he is on the smaller side. He himself, has what appears to be three correct gaits and good mind and work ethic.
            IME, I agree with everything except:

1-I think his offspring in general resemble the mare, in terms of type, and
            2-He is not on the smaller side (if size is what you meant). He is 16.3 hands and substantial. In fact, I bred to him twice to my refined mare (who is only 16.1). Her coming 2 year old son is 16 hands already with a TON of bone. Her yearling is looking like he will be the same way. I've seen smaller offspring, but I think he tends to throw height.

I definitely think Bugatti reliably throws a calmer, laid back temperament.
            Last edited by Callaway; Jan. 6, 2012, 08:35 AM.
            Kim
            'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

Shakespeare RSF
              Take a look for yourself. All of the foals I bred and the first two under saddle are on my website. First foals to be shown in hand this year were very successful, including second place colt and filly and reserve champion foal at Dressage at Devon. Multiple premiums, Foals of Distinction, top colt/ filly at inspections. Shakespeare is competing himself and is presently in FL with my trainer being trained by Lisa Wilcox courtesy of a grant from The Dressage Foundation.
              http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
              Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
              Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Comment

De Niro

Comment

So many great suggestions all ready! Just to add to the already great list... I like Rousseau's offspring consistently as well! Although he is a little larger boned, I have seen many of his offspring who are much more modern.

Another one I have been keeping my eye on is UB40. He's more recently caught my eye, and I've only seen a handful of his offspring... but I've been really impressed thus far!

And dudleyc... I love your quote with Lendon! ROTFL!
                  Piedmont Sporthorses
                  https://www.facebook.com/BayMeadowsFarm

Comment

Dressage Royal
                    Watermark Farm
                    Blog
                    Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                    You Tube Channel

Comment

Irish Draught breeders like to keep the traditional build along with the temperment and abilities the breed is known for. With that in mind I think Touch of the Blues RID and Snowford Bellman RID are the most significant sires in the North American RID herd.

Both stallions have produced super purebreds and the more modern type halfbreds
                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                      Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

The only horse I can say satisfies all your requirements both from what I have seen, and from what I also understand from many breeders, is Royal Prince.

He actually has many horses undersaddle, ridden by amateurs and professionals alike (unlike many of the other horses talked about here). You can spot his offspring from a mile away (or on a tiny youtube video ).
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Wolkentanz II

Comment

Roc USA. Consistently has been producing very good athletes. I have been very pleased by how well his get do given that he doesn't breed a huge volume of mares. He produces hunters, jumpers, and conformation horses. Although he is mostly bred for the H/J market, I think he has some offspring that could be very competitve as dressage or event horses as well.

He has sired a USEF national champion for the past three years (Role Model - USEF 5yr old jumper champion, Morocco-USEF high A/O jumper, Roc My World - 3 yr old hunter breeding). Rendezvous 22 Midwest 7 year old young jumper champion, Retro Girl IHF Reserve Champion 3 year old, Renowned winner 1st year green @ WEF, Roc Star winner Pregreen Hunter @ WEF, Roc's Lalique Pregreen winner @ WEF. These are just a few. There are also many other zone and regional champions, Mare performance test winners, inspection site champions and premium mares and foals.
                            Entropy Farm
                            www.entropyfarm.com
                            Home of Roc USA
                            I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Callaway View Post
                              IME, I agree with everything except:

1-I think his offspring in general resemble the mare, in terms of type, and
                              2-He is not on the smaller side (if size is what you meant). He is 16.3 hands and substantial. I've seen smaller offspring, but I think he tends to throw height.

I definitely think Bugatti reliably throws a calmer, laid back temperament.
                              I agree with you Callaway. Bugatti is 16.3 (and having been next to him many times, he is tall). And I think that they also more often look like the mare. He does produce a nice calm and trainable temperament.
                              Kris
                              www.edgewoodmeadowfarm.com
                              Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/edgewoodmeadowfarm

Comment

Wedderlie Mardi Gras...he really stamps his foals!

Comment

Take a look at Benidetto (Belissimo m/sps Cordoba)

Super canters, elastic, modern uphill and just beautiful!!

He himself is very rideable!!! Trucking right along! On developing young horse track!!

His offspring are almost all inspection winners, even in Germany one was reserve champion at the Hanoverian foal championship!!

First foal crop is starting under saddle now and getting raving reports about movement and how fast they learn!

See more on www.walnut-farm.com
                                  And www.hiddenacresdressage.com
                                  Linda Woltz
                                  www.walnut-farm.com
                                  standing Benidetto (Belissimo M/SPS COrdoba)

Comment

interesting question by the OP but the true answer is:
                                    there is no such stallion out there.
                                    if there was, he would be used consistently ever since his first get became proven under saddle up until his death with constantly high breeding figures.
                                    no stallion i am aware of is or has been used at constantly high breeding figures up until his death. and most stallions in fact suffer a lack of breeding figures even before their first get has the chance to prove under saddle.

why is that?

a) because every stallion has to suit the indvidual mare in question - while many (few) are able to improve many mares, none is able to improve ANY given mare. even of those stallions who are known to pass on certain features at a high degree, none of them is able to improve even these features constantly with any given mare.
                                    from all the stallions people have mentioned in this topic i can only judge about the ones who are or have been available in germany for breeding as those are the ones i have seen foals and (ideally) matured horses by.
                                    while i have seen many good horses by many of them i have seen as many suboptimal horses by all of them, too. that simply is a selfunderstood given circumstance by the law of nature. just that suboptimal progeny never makes it to the surface of well bespoken media/websides etc.

b) the nature of (well thought of) breeding has it that ideally the desired breeding progress is reached with the next generation. after all, that is the goal any serious breeder aims for.
                                    this logic has it that even the best stallion (or mare) eventually gets outperformed by the one or the other progeny. if that wasn't the case we should stop breeding immediately since then breeding was degrated to simply producing and increasing numbers rather than improving for a certain goal.
                                    and while there are most certainly stallions out there who deserve the lable "timeless" or "classic" (don schufro for instance) even these classic heroes are being outperfomed by some of their individual progenies at least with respect to the one or the other feature that eventually makes them more desired over their sire.

c) so if you amend the rather unrealistic question "Stallions that consistently produce quality offspring?" to "Stallions that seem to improve the canter" that makes up for a lot of stallions to be mentioned - however, even these will only be able to improve a single feature (canter) on a certain quota based on the individual mare and even full siblings are no gurantee for equally given quality. usually anything from 50% onwards is already a very good quota to qualify the stallion being a consistent producer for a single given feature.
                                    quotas beyond 70-80% are highly unrealistic and come closer to cloning rather than breeding.

frustrating, but at the same time this is what makes breeding so fascinating :-)
                                    http://hippologi.com

http://muensterland-pferde.de

Comment

I could throw down a list of stallions that I've seen some great babies from. They'd include some of the ones already mentioned, especially Don Principe. But, I don't have enough direct experience with multiple babies by these stallions to really offer an opinion.

Of all the babies I've *personally* known in recent years (and watched them grow from when they hit the ground to under tack), only one stallion seems to throw similar gorgeous movement, conformation, and that elusive 'born broke' brain time after time after time. That would be Fabuleux. Looking for canter improvement..he's improved every mare I know who has been bred to him.

I will also say that there is a "R" line stallion (who everyone on these boards seems to rave about) whose babies I've known personally to have among the worst work ethics I've ever seen.

I guess that in the end, it really is something of a crap shoot.
                                      Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are.

Comment

Working...
                                      X