• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Photographing Horses...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photographing Horses...

I thought I'd post this here since you all get such lovely confo shots.

I can not for the life of me get good conformation photos of my horses. It MUST be the angle I'm trying to shoot from- they always look like they have super long backs and short necks, or vice versa. My horses are really not the conformational train wrecks that my photographs seem to convey...

What are your best tips for getting good photos??

Can anyone post examples of "good" vs "bad" angles??

I think I'm photography challenged...

Here ya go!

http://www.behindthebitblog.com/2008...nd-tricks.html
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

I would like to add "watch and learn" in the sense that you really look at those pictures you like vs. the ones you dislike and figure out why they give you that feeling.
      In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Comment

I think a lot of great shots involve two things (well and like 100 other things, but I'm only mentioning two) -- get across from the horse's barrel, and BEND YOUR KNEES, or even kneel.

I have ponies, and take almost all of my pictures of them on my knees. Otherwise you get this weird "looking down on them" angle that makes their legs look weirdly short.

I think pictures look best when the camera is aimed at the middle of the horse -- and I mean the "up and down" and "side to side" middle. Sometimes easier said than done of course!
        Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
        Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

And sometimes, no matter what you do, it can be tough getting that spectacular conformation shot! Some horses just are not photogenic! And some, can't take an ugly photo <LOL>. But don't despair. You got some great suggestions here!
          Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
          Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

There's also the issue of lens distortion- which can be really evident when photographing horses.
            Equestrian Photography

Comment

the real secret? call a professional EQUINE photographer. That's the only way I've ever gotten a decent picture. I don't have the equipment to get the really nice shots, or the skill, or the patience lol. If you have other horsie people in the area, sometimes you can get a good deal if you have them do shoots for several people in an area, or at the same farm.
              "Sadly, some people's greatest skill, is being an idiot". (facebook profile pic I saw).

Comment

Its already been said - but it takes AT LEAST two people, a clean, level background, and shooting at the correct angle. As GoldenPony says - you HAVE to get down below the horse's back, and you HAVE to shoot from about the middle of the barrel. The other secret - take a lot of photos, move around just a bit as you take them. You also need a decent quality camera and lens - if you are using a little pocket camera, don't shoot from too far back, you'll end up with too much distortion. The "zoom" on pocket cameras isn't always the best quality.

If you are doing young horses, you don't HAVE an hour or two - so start out with a plan, pick your area ahead of time, and have a good handler. Have a halter that fits nicely - a too large halter can make the head AND neck look bad.

The horse needs to be standing at a perfect 90 degree angle to you - if it is slanted toward or away from you, either the head will look too big and the hind end too small, or the other way around. The legs should be offset - and preferrably with the front leg on your side forward (makes the shoulder look better).

I MUCH prefer action shooting
                Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Dec. 31, 2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
                  I MUCH prefer action shooting
                  Hahaa I hear you there! I don't have anyone to help me set up my own horses for conformation shots, so I generally just luck out and they pose themselves while at liberty, but the liberty shots are most fun for me =) Good luck with the conformation photography, oharabear!
                  Visit MW Equine!
                  Raven Beauty - '08 JC Thoroughbred mare
                  Zeecandoit - '07 JC Thoroughbred gelding
                  DBT My Dark Blue - '07 AHA Arabian Mare

Comment

Good question. I have a lot of great personality pics of my horses over the years. This takes a lot of TIME (which I enjoy) and patience and interation with the horse.

As for conformation pics, I have one horse who looks gorgeous no matter which angle you're shooting from. He is round and symmetrical and 'pretty' ...and his presence just shines through the lens. (He really should be in the movies...)

On the other hand, his sibling...a 3 yr old colt out of the same mare...is simply not photogenic. At least not yet. Maybe once he matures? He has great conformation but I cannot seem to get an outstanding pic of him.

In addition to other points made here...I find that one has got to know the horse, what makes him/her pump themselves up, manage to get them in the right position with the right legs showing, right background. A LOT of factors go into creating a stunning photo or even a good photo of a horse.

I think that there are many good conformational shots of horses in advertising, but many lack that extra factor...presence..which can dazzle the eye and draw the viewer's interest instantly.

Also, use your imagination, shoot lots of pics, so you learn which angle your horse looks his/her best. Also, lighting is extremely key to a good photo.
                    Dark Horse Farm

Comment

A professional photographer told me to kneel down and shoot up at them, that was great advice. I notice when we have photographers at inspections or for shoots, they do as well. The best shots are side ways to 3/4 for conformation.
                      Nancy

A few examples following those simple rules, 3 amateur pictures, 2 professional
                      Attached Files
                      Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
                      www.ironmanonline.com

Comment

I'm a bit over 5' tall. I still squat to get photos.
                        www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

Me too! 5' and 1/2 inch.
                          Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
                          www.ironmanonline.com

Comment

If you want a true confo shot with lessened distortion, its really helps to stand at least 15 or 20m from the horse. Yews kneel down and get perfectly square with the horse in an open stance and natural head carriage.

Knowing how to get the horse to do little half steps helps. Its really just patience.

Comment

It can help to haul the horse out to another property so they are alert and not dropping an ear.

Comment

Originally posted by smokygirl View Post
                                the real secret? call a professional EQUINE photographer. That's the only way I've ever gotten a decent picture. I don't have the equipment to get the really nice shots, or the skill, or the patience lol. If you have other horsie people in the area, sometimes you can get a good deal if you have them do shoots for several people in an area, or at the same farm.
                                I respectfully disagree. If I had to use the resources of a professional photographer on a regular basis, I'd be broke. The first photo below (headshot) was taken by a good friend who isn't even an amateur photographer. Just got her camera out and took a couple of shots. There just happened to be great lighting and a good background to work with. The other two were taken by my non-photography husband who was just told to "point the camera at the pony and click the button". It was just done with a simple, crappy pocket digital camera.

With a bit of practice, everyone can get decent at taking a few photos. That being said, after 20+ years of selling horses, I finally bit the bullet and purchase a refurbished Cannon 60D with a 18-135 mm lense and will be picking it up this week, and then husband and I have a photography workshop scheduled in a few weeks to learn how to use it properly. We purchased the workshop tickets super cheap off of Groupon. So hopefully this summer we'll have some stellar photos on our website.
                                Attached Files
                                www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                                Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                                Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

Shoot perpendicular to the middle of the horse's body. Not pointing up, not down, not left or right. If you aren't sure, take a few shots, stand up a couple inches, take a few more, squat a couple inches, take a few more, move toward the head a bit, take a few shots, move toward the tail, take a few shots. You're bound to get one useable picture if you take enough with variety.
                                  Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                                  Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                                  VW sucks.

Comment

Some good advice here.

I find the biggest error is the positioning of the legs. 'Inside-out' legs always make the horse look awkward and less balanced.

Distortion can be lessened by stepping back from the horse and using the zoom. Especially with a cheapy point-and-shoot camera. Don't use too much zoom though or the sharpness of the outline may be reduced.

Comment

What is the going rate for photos? What do you consider an attractive price if someone took a photo of your horse that you'd love to have?

Comment

Good tips via the link provided in that first reply.

Make sure your camera is balanced horizontally and your horse is well balanced within the viewfinder to start. Aim for a spot just behind the elbow and set yourself and your camera directly across from it both vertically and horizontally. If you are too high, your horse will be too much body and if too low, too much leg.

Once you get a feel for it, and photographing your horse (in particular), you can start to make minor adjustments with your aim to help minimize weaknesses and maximize the strengths that your horse may have.

Practice, practice, practice!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X