• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

1 month old newly orphaned can't get to take milk replacer. HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McCauley's makes an excellent foal and weanling pellet for this purpose too - I'd be happy to get some to you to try - I'm very nearby. Also give a call if you need a hand - we've had an orphan too - she is now a very sassy and healthy 2yo.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I agree, I need to get her back outside with her pasture buddies. I think it is especially important to do it ASAP because she is an unusual color (amber champagne) and is more likely to be picked on by the other horses. I find some dark horses really don't like the dillutes - it is a shame that she no longer has her mother to defend her. Now I just need my 1 and 3 year old to cooperate and take a nap at the same time!! My husband and older "helper" children are away for the day so I have to have some luck on my side. Most likely it will have to be this evening when they are both in bed for the night. I guess I will just have to do the best I can with the resources available to me and pray that it is enough.

I plan to go to the local coop to get a lamb's nibble first thing Monday morning. I think they open at 6:00 AM so I should be able to start early.

I think I will need to order things from Buckeye directly from Buckeye as I cannot find a local dealer of their product line. I have heard really good things about the Buckeye Milk replacer so I do think it is worth the difficulty of having to order it from afar.

She is still drinking pretty well. She takes varying amounts each feeding - I seem to always make too much or too little. I think having the igloo where it will keep and she can drink on demand with be a whole lot less wasteful!

I really appreciate all the tips - very helpful!

Best wishes,
      Carolyn

Comment

If you can't get her to nurse again, the Buckeye milk replacer is acidified and lasts pretty well. I raised one on Buckeye feeding with a bucket in 2004. The bucket was changed 3 times a day and it worked fine. The igloo is a better solution, but you may find it very hard to get the foal to nurse from a nipple after she has taken to a bucket. Good luck!
        Mary Lou
        http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

Originally posted by Carolyn View Post
          Good Morning All...

Well she is drinking the Milk Replacer consistently now. I am feeding her every two hours with a four hour gap at night. I think I am going to try to turn her out with her pasture mates from before and use the igloo method with the Buckeye replacer. Of course I have her trained to a bucket and a different replacer so getting her to use a nipple and a new Milk Replacer may be a challenge now but we will give it a go anyhow. I think I was in panic mode and just didn't have the patience I needed to let the foal adapt to such a huge change in her life. (Plus I think I was mixing the water too hot).

The companion mare the foal is with right now is one of those mares that produces milk even when she doesn't have a foal. She has milk now but not a lot. She will not let the foal nurse. We tried hay bales & tranquilizers & hobbles. She is warming up to the foal a little more but I don't think it will be a match made in heaven. I do have a mare with a four month old foal I could wean but I would rather not if I don't have to go that route. Hopefully the Igloo will work out well for us!

I will also get the foal on the Progressive feed. They have excellent products. Thank you Daydream Believer for you offer of feed. I am probably pretty far away from you. I am located in North Central by Commonwealth Park south of Culpeper. We have a Progressive Dealer about 45 minutes from here in Marshall I think. I will try there first.

Thank you so much for the help and support.

Best wishes,
          Carolyn
          1. If you have a Progressive Dealer nearby, I would think you'd do fine with Progressive Nutrition's Foals' First Milk Replacer and/or the milk-based pellet, Foal's First Starter and Creep." Don Kapper, PN's chief nutritionist, designed both these products and Buckeye's as well. If you call PN's customer support line (888-239-3185), they will give you all the advice you need to feed your orphan foal, with Don himself being quite accessible.
          2. "If the foal is over 3 weeks of age when orphaned, forget the liquid milk replacer and just feed the milk based foal starter feed free choice. At this age their molars are in and they can successfully chew the milk pellets and swallow them. Provide only the milk-based pellets for them to eat until the foals are 3 months old. Between 3 and 4 months of age, mix equal amounts of the milk based pellet with a weaning formula that complements their forage." (Don Kapper, "Appendix on Applied Nutrition," Saunder's *Equine Internal Medicine,* 2003.) You may need to mix the pellets into the liquid milk replacer for a while, though, in order to start them chewing so they can make the switch.
          3. Unless you have a nurse mare who foaled within a month or two of your foal's birth date, the orphan's nutritional needs are much more likely to be met by replacer products than a mare because "Mare's milk nutritional composition changes and becomes more dilute as lactation progresses." (Kapper, as above) As foals reach 3-4 months of age, their need for milk drops off dramatically, and the mare's production declines accordingly. My guess is that the milk of a mare who lactates even when she doesn't have a foal would not be of much nutritional value. Some mares don't even provide high enough nutritional content for their foals under normal circumstances: e.g., my 3 month old, 450# suckling has been eating 4-5#/day of milk pellets for the last month in addition to nursing from his mother. He was so hungry and was growing so rapidly from the outset that I started him on the creep when he was less than a week old (he did already have molars).

Progressive Nutrition prides itself on customer service to go with its products, to make sure that they are used properly and the best possible results obtained. Feeding foals has long been a special passion for Don Kapper, and I am sure he would be glad to help you.
          http://www.tunnelsendfarm.com

Comment

The problem with using pellets instead of milk is that the other foals may bully the orphan to not let him near his food, or eat it all, and you can't tell how much he got OR you have to only let him eat when in a stall, and that makes for a LONG hungry night. With a pellet, they are also much less likely to leave their buddies and playing. They will seek out the milk, as it is so much sweeter - like a kid with candy AND they can have it all night, whenever they want a drink.

They do find a bucket much easier, and they don't have to work at it, like nursing from a nipple (they can just, like kids, chug that "chocolate milk") so it will be much harder to convince one to go back to the nipple, than it is to begin with. I felt that nursing gives as much "comfort" to a foal as nursing, and an orphan will take comfort from nursing on his igloo the same as a real mom. It was quite a bit more expensive to keep mine on the milk/igloo until he was 5 months, but it made me feel better to see him enjoy nursing and the comfort he got from it. As he ate more pellets, I just watered down the milk.

Comment

• Original Poster

Creep Feeding Questions.

Yes, my pasture situation makes for difficult feeding of foals let alone orphan foals. I have been trying to figure out how to do a creep feeding set up for my foals for a long time and have not come up with any practical ideals yet.

I often have large broodmare bands with foals together. This year I have 11 (well 10 now) mares and 11 foals. I have the pregnant mares with foals and the not yet pregnant mares and foals separated into groups at the moment. So at the moment I have two smaller groups. The orphan was with the not yet confirmed in foal group so that group will be getting smaller and smaller while the other group gets bigger and bigger.

I use a pasture rotation system so the horses are only in a pasture for a week to three weeks tops depending on how fast they go through the grass. I do not have run-in sheds because they are moving from pasture to pasture so quickly and because having a shed in each pasture would cost a fortune as we would need 20 to 30 sheds. We have the perimeter of the pastures done with 7" round wood posts with four strands of Electro-braid and metal walk-thru gates periodically. For the dividing lines between the pastures we use step-in posts with a lighter gauge of electric twine and electric handles for gates. We plan to put in a centrally located 1.5 acre stone dust bad weather "paddock" with under-cover shelter but that will not happen until next year or the year after. Until then the horses have trees for shelter and shade.

So finally, my question.... Can anyone recommend some sort of way to creep feed my foals? It needs to be portable yet free standing. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Carolyn

Comment

I don't like to free choice "creep" feed foals. The ones that like to eat will make themselves way too fat, and increase the chances of OCD. Are your babies out all of the time? How do you feed the mares? If they are never in stalls, I would look to keeping good mineral blocks in the fields. Mineral blocks will not have salt. Salt should be another one. Buckeye has "Harvest salt" blocks that you use along with their Grass Plus mineral block. If your horses live out, the igloo will be critical for the baby so he can grow up as a horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I use 250 lb "Horse Lic" Mineral Buckets and then provide a free choice salt. Maybe that is enough? They do get the feed that they eat with mom too. Feeding the orphan a separate diet will pose a challenge as we are about to re-plant all the pastures around the barn so the horses will be a good walk away from the stalls. I will have to use a coral panel stall or something I guess. As they say, "Necessity is the mother of invention"!

Comment

• Original Poster

Adopted!

Well it looks like Auntie is going to adopt my little orphan. She is allowing her to nurse. Now her milk just needs to come in better. I think with the foal nursing on her it should start up again. The mare is newly pregnant so I don't want to give her hormones that might make her abort.

I am relieved that my orphan will have a "Mamma" after all.

-Carolyn

Comment

Oh, yay, that is the best of all worlds. Even if the nursing is only psychological, and she has to get the nutrition via pellets...

Good news.

Editing to add: what about a feed bag to get her the extra she needs? I use them on my weanlings... I bet the Feed Rite folks would make you a smaller one if you contacted them. Then she can get her feed in peace. I put the bags on the weaners/slow eaters first, then feed everyone else, water etc., and usually by the time I'm done all my chores, bags are ready to come off.

OR, feed MUM with a bag, so bebe has time to eat some foal pellets. That works too--the aggressive one having the bag on--can't get to the others' food.
                      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Awesome! So glad to hear things are working out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by pintopiaffe View Post
                          Editing to add: what about a feed bag to get her the extra she needs? I use them on my weanlings... I bet the Feed Rite folks would make you a smaller one if you contacted them. Then she can get her feed in peace. I put the bags on the weaners/slow eaters first, then feed everyone else, water etc., and usually by the time I'm done all my chores, bags are ready to come off.
                          Sounds like a good idea. Feed Rite? I have not heard of them. Where would I find a feed bag? How do I get in touch with Feed Rite? Any information is appreciated!

Comment

http://www.feedritebag.com/

They were AWESOME with me, I bought 'seconds' from them because I wasn't entirely convinced of the whole idea... the buckles broke due mostly to extreme cold, and even though the 'seconds' weren't under warrantee, they sent me extra buckles to repair the bags.

I am 100% convinced if you called them and explained you needed one for an orphan, they would custom make and express ship one to you. Really lovely customer service as far as I'm concerned. They are 'one size' and I do use that size on the 6mo-yearlings... but you would definitely need smaller for a foal. Call them! Email is not the fastest... but a phone call will get you a return call...

My feeding life has changed dramatically, I don't know why I didn't go to bags YEARS ago. I will need some new ones, they haven't quite lasted as long as I'd like with yearlings/2yos/silly geldings (and me getting distracted and not removing quickly enough) but they have saved me a FORTUNE in feed, and paid for themselves in the first month. So if I buy 2x/year, I've still saved quite literally hundreds in spilled/wasted/stolen grain.

I digress, but I think it might be just the answer for you in the herd situation... Good luck...
                            InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, I am certainly intrigued! I will call them today.

Carolyn

Comment

Working...
                              X