• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage Stallions that always throw great temperments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PIK L.

No doubt about it.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

i'm surprised no one has mentioned flemmingh. when i was researching what kind of foal i wanted to buy i kept hearing over and over again how flemmingh always threw amateur-friendly horses. my colt is out with a herd in a 10-acre pasture and he always gallops over to me when i call him from the gate. the farrier said he is the best behaved yearling he has ever worked on. i am still trying to find something he objects to: he doesn't mind getting in and out of trailers, he doesn't mind umbrellas, he doesn't mind flapping tarps, he doesn't mind me sticking my ipod earbud in his ear while it is playing. he is just so easy and takes everything in stride.

Comment

We have had two foals by Fabuleux and they have had the best of attitudes!

Comment

My Contucci gelding is easy easy easy...practically born broke. He's a goof and a real lover, too.
          If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Comment

The Mares ! Don't forget the mares !

Originally posted by Home Again Farm View Post
            I do not think any stallion can give a 100% guarantee. The dam and the way the foal is raised will have major impacts.
            Exactly. Let's not forget about the mares ! They have a tremendous influence.

But I'll add the late First Class (Furioso x Zeus) to the long list of stallions.

Comment

Originally posted by Home Again Farm View Post
              I do not think any stallion can give a 100% guarantee. The dam and the way the foal is raised will have major impacts.

That said, I have had particularly great temperaments from Rubinstein, Rohdiamant, Weltbekannt, Wolkentanz I, Donnerhall, Don Schufro, Regazzoni, Fabuleux, Der Radetzky, Resonanz, Florencio, Fidertanz, Royal Prince and Fabuleux.
              I have a Florencio yearling that is the easiest baby I have ever had. She is so sweet and very, very sensible.

Hohenstein is known for passing on good temperaments, though his frozen is very poor so recommending him to breeders here is not all that helpful.
              Roseknoll Sporthorses
              www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Are you talking about temperament in the barn, babies, adults, under saddle, or in the upper levels of any given discipline? For our program good temperament is a given, but the predisposition for cheerful trainability is paramount if a horse is to be successful under saddle for the long haul.
                Anne
                -------
                "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Comment

The F, D and R lines are known for rideability.

There are many stallion sons and grandson representing those landmark German lines.

In the Trakehner breed, I've read that Enrico Caruso had a stellar temperament so look for his sons. Kovington and Tanzeln would be two to consider.
                  www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

I would say Gold Luck - everyone seems to love his babies and he has them competing in Dressage up to FEI and also some that jump. I have never heard anyone say that their Gold Luck babies are anything but wonderful.
                    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
                    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
                    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Comment

I've had three by Fred Astair. Super temperaments. I mean SUPER. Ask anyone who has ever laid a hand on my Fred Astair stallion.

Fred had the acid test in my barn this spring. I have a mare whose other foals for me have been....ummmmm....intense and concerned from the moment they dropped. This mare's Fred filly is the happiest, most secure, engaged and friendly foal I may have had.

And let's not forget the balance, fabulous canters, outstanding toplines and straight, correct legs that all three have.
                      "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Comment

Routinier: I wholeheartedly agree!

I have 2 Routiniers, both literally follow me around for scritches, like golden retrievers. They both have been super easy to work with, new experiences never seem to phase them. My friend just had a Rudy baby last month, and I can get him to leave me alone, so curious, outgoing.... All have great movement, though typical of the "R" line. They are uphill, balanced, but not big huge "over the top gaits." I think they will be more suited for the upper levels.

I think Routinier throws super temperments. I will start my 4 year old after her foal is weaned, but I suspect she will be no problem. lisa

Comment

Fabriano, His Highness and Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by EquineLVR View Post
                            I would say Gold Luck - everyone seems to love his babies and he has them competing in Dressage up to FEI and also some that jump. I have never heard anyone say that their Gold Luck babies are anything but wonderful.
                            The G-line Hanoverians have great temperaments. Beste Gold is out of a G-line mare, Gold Luck is G-line, and another stallion that stands at Rolling Stone Farm, Welcome S, is out of a G-line mare. I own a G-line mare by the same stallion at Beste Gold's dam, out of a TB mare. She has a filly by Welcome S by her side. The mare is wonderful. Exceptionally intelligent, never spooks, totally trustworthy, easy to handle. Loves people. Just loves everyone. The filly is incredible. We can do anything with her. My BO loves how sweet and intelligent she is. Total love bug like her mom. Runs to the fence to visit. Gives kisses. I adore these girls. I have known others who have owned G-line bred horses and they tell me the same stories about their horses.
                            "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Every Prince Optimus baby I've gotten to start has had an excellent brain and a kind eye. And I say this with no financial interest in him. I just enjoy his babies. There certainly are probably nature and nurture contributions to their sanity, but Prince has a lovely eye, so I think it's not all due to the good handling Elandale youngsters get...
                              http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

My new Royal Prince filly has an amazing attitude. She is calm and fearless. She takes to every new thing with interest, but no fuss. I had no idea prior to this filly what to expect from RP, but I'd definitely use him again. I have had two Sir Sinclairs and both are work oriented and friendly.
                                www.forwardfarms.com.
                                Follow us on Facebook:
                                http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forwar...s/192796641203

Comment

Originally posted by not again View Post
                                  Are you talking about temperament in the barn, babies, adults, under saddle, or in the upper levels of any given discipline? For our program good temperament is a given, but the predisposition for cheerful trainability is paramount if a horse is to be successful under saddle for the long haul.
                                  This was going to be exactly my point reading this thread. It struck me as really somewhat silly to not have differentiated this from the start. Many of the "easiest" foals, can turn into very difficult, strong minded, explosive young horses under saddle if they are not supple through the body or are very resistant in the connection.

On the other hand, somewhat explosive, fearful foals can turn into teddy-bears under saddle with the right rider that they can take trust and take confidence in.

That being said, I think the R line is generally known for having amateur friendly horses in both respects and is probably the most prevalent. However, that designation was given to the direct Rubinstein sons. Some of his grand- and great-grandsons may not be quite as reliable if they were crossed to hotter lines, which I do not personally find a bad thing since my complaint with some of the R-line is that they are not hot enough.

What you like really depends what you want as an individual rider and horseperson, and the one universal quality I think all of us dislike is a great deal of stubbornness or a lack of openness to new experiences since that I think remains more the same as a foal or a riding horse.

Comment

Wolkentanz 1 and Freestyle

generally sweet temperaments and easy trainability

Comment

Originally posted by EquineLVR View Post
                                      I have heard (from reliable sources) that some are hard to start but once started they are lovely. But every horse has a mother, too, so who knows if that was attributable to sire or dam or both.
                                      Roseknoll Sporthorses
                                      www.roseknoll.net

Comment

I may be a H/J trainer but I have heard wonderful things about Don Principe, I would second Beste Gold and I would add in Waldaire whom I have seen, also with amateurs on him that had never ridden him before. That stallion has a fabulous disposition and so have the offspring I have seen. Can't say enough about him.

Nancy
                                        Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
                                        www.ironmanonline.com

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for all the replies!
                                          I was just wanting some suggestions of stallions that seem to be producing naturally level-headed, amateur friendly horses. Yes, I know the mare has A LOT to do with it. As the mare we are thinking about breeding (not too seriously yet, just kind of toying with the idea) is very spooky, we would only breed her to a stallion that could hopefully (altho I know its not a garuntee) produce a much more level headed foal.
                                          The mare is absolutely lovely, wonderful gaits, but owning one of her babies already (we did not breed him, tho) we know that she likes to pass on her spooky tendency...(altho his sire is not known for passing on amateur friendly horses, I dont think)
                                          And yet, I also realize training has a great deal to do with it too.
                                          Just wanted to see if there were any stallions that seemed to be producing great temperments pretty consistently.
                                          thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                                          X