• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

"Free-choice" alfalfa for lactating mare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Free-choice" alfalfa for lactating mare?

My mare, who foaled 2 months ago, is really looking rough right now. Her filly is absolutely huge and just thriving, and she is taking it hard. The mare is getting probably half a bale of coastal, 3 or 4 big scoops (maybe 10 pounds?) of alfalfa cubes, and 3 or 4 big scoops of a 14/7 feed (Seminole, so very good feed), as well as a good amount of rice bran.

I really don't want to put a round bale out for her, as she tends not to do so well with one (has had a mild colic before on round bale 24/7), and she wastes at least half of it by peeing all over it. Is it OK so give her *almost* free-choice alfalfa cubes? I cannot feed timothy hay as I am VERY allergic to it, and the coastal we have down here is just not that high in nutrition to keep up with a lactating mare.

Also, is there any way to encourage my filly to eat more feed and hay and nurse less short of separating them part of each day? The filly is interested, and will nose around some, but then quickly decides that nursing is better.

Also, I cannot add beet pulp, as my mare will not touch it. I could try adding oil, or maybe an extra feeding of a high-fat senior feed, but beet pulp is a no-go with this one.

Have you tried mixing the beep with the alfalfa?

I might suggest maybe trying Triple Crown Sr or other really yummy low starch/high fiber/decent fat senior feed--they can be fed virtually free choice, but have more bang-for-the buck than alfalfa (fat, calories) My older, fussy, ulcerprone Trak mare used to get skeletal when lactating--she did AWESOME on the TC Sr, would be up to about 12lbs a day on top of her free choice hay etc.

Will your mare eat any fat supps? Rice bran? Cocosoya? oil? Cool Cals? etc?? Upping the fat is always the safest/quickest way to add calories... Even my fussiest will eat plain ol' oil if I soak the alfalfa slightly then add it to that...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

My mare that I had the worst time keeping weight on would eat about 1/3 of a #50 bag of soaked hay cubes a day while nursing. If you could find a 2nd or 3rd cut Orchard/Alfalfa, you could free choice that.

How big is a "scoop"? You may need to feed about 15 lbs a day (3 meals) of a feed that supplies 1500+ calories per pound. This is in addition to the alfalfa cubes, grass hay & pasture.
      Last edited by Fairview Horse Center; May. 31, 2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Our girls with foals are getting 16lbs a day of grain/pellet + a generous amount of beetpulp. They also get approx 8 lbs of alfalfa cubes a day as well as being on pasture. At this they are holding thier weight and one mare is gaining slightly.
        www.freewebs.com/roppelstables

Comment

• Original Poster

The scoop is a bit over 2 quarts, and the feed is 1.6 pounds per quart, so about 10 pounds of a 14/8 pelleted feed. She could be getting more than that, but it is at least close to 10 pounds.

I did pick up Seminole's version of the TC Senior. Holy crap that stuff is expensive! $20 a bag! It is 12/10, and I gave her two scoops of that today (one when I got there and one when I left two hours later). How much of that CAN I feed in addition to the 10-ish pounds of the 14/8 pellets? She eats very slowly, so I am not worried about her bolting her feed and having colic problems from that.

Oh, and I could mix beet pulp with pretty much anything and she won't eat it. She will eat the Sr that is high in beet pulp, but not just plain old beet pulp. I do have her on some rice bran, but she has never been one to eat a meaningful amount of oil.

Comment

Just remember that feeding "fiber" in grain is a very expensive way to feed hay. Senior feeds are also more about feeding an old horse that just won't eat enough hay, not about adding calories.

To put weight on a horse that needs nutrients and calories, I stick with basics and a ration balancer. Using 2 to 4 lbs a day of a ration balancer like Grow N Win, or Pregressive, and adding whole grains (oats, corn, barley) to that + increasing the quality of hay (higher % of alfalfa) is what really does the job. Athlete, (just a couple of pounds a day added to regular feed) is also a high fat feed that really puts on weight (better than anything I have seen)

Comment

Sorry, I missed the part about the rice bran in your first post...

While I do agree that Sr. feed is mostly fiber--it's a way of adding fiber AND calories that you can feed A LOT of, in a form that is easy to handle.

I was thinking of this all the way home. Where I lived in Ohio, the pasture and hay were bascially clover & alfalfa, with emphasis on the alfalfa (working cattle ranch.) We fed a LOT.

I think where you'd run into trouble is the cal/phos ratio, but since I haven't fed alfalfa in the last 20 years, I'm not up on that.

I *love* Sunshine Pellets/Calf manna as top dress for hard keepers and lactating broodies. Just one of those things that carried over from my working student days on an Arabian breeding farm. Old fashioned but works.

I would think in cube form you could feed the alfalfa pretty close to free choice... but for ME I would do everything I could to get some FAT in the diet, whatever that takes. Cheapest, safest way to add calories...

I have a mare who lactates like a prize dairy cow. She gets HIDEOUSLY skinny with some foals, no matter WHAT I do. I don't wean prior to 5 months, and prefer 6-7 months, but some of hers get 'day weaned' much sooner--separated for the night or day (6hrs or so) with their own ration... next to Mum but not able to nurse... and during that time the mare pretty much has CONCENTRATES in front of her the whole time... I do find *some* incarceration helps too. I am a 24/7 type of gal, but some REST from bugs, chasing baby etc. does seem to help a little too...

Just a couple more ideas. It's frustrating.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh, I went with the Sr feed because it is very high in fat without me trying to add a lot of oil to her feed, which can make her turn her nose up at it. Not specifically because it is Sr. feed. This stuff is 12% protein and 10% fat.

I *think* the BO has started putting the mare out on the grassier sections of the property by herself for several hours every day. I will talk to him tomorrow or Monday to confirm. Bad memory, cannot remember if he is doing it every day or just occasionally. I think the part-day weaning could be an excellent idea. She seems to be a bit tired of chasing baby all day.

Would I be OK to add some oil on top of the higher fat feed? Not too much because then she isn't going to eat it, but maybe a cup a day split into a couple feedings or poured into the "free-choice" alfalfa cubes?

Who makes this Athlete feed? what is the protein/fat in it? I've not heard of it around here, but that certainly doesn't mean much since I stick with TC or Seminole.

Comment

Athlete is a Purina product, I think.

Me, I like oil when possible. I would *definitely* sneak in as much as she'll tolerate. My old Trak gal did best on 1c per day--2c seemed to be too much, she thrived on 1c. OTOH, my other old mare does best on 2c. So you just adjust for what they tolerate and do best on, ya know? Definitely can top dress it *wherever* she'll tolerate. I've known some EPSM folks to spray it on hay to get it eaten!

Comment

Try perennial peanut hay. It has very similar nutritional value as alfalfa and since you're in Florida it should be pretty easy for you to get and a lot less expensive than alfalfa.
                    Fox Haven Farm, Inc.
                    Home of 2002 JC Registered stallion Artrageous

Artrageous has his own Facebook page!

Comment

• Original Poster

I've fed the peanut before and liked it just fine. My local feed store does not carry it, but I'm sure Hay Exchange would. How much per bale is it usually? I can get the alfalfa cubes for $11 for 50lb, and no waste.

Something else I thought of, I did not PowerPac her this year. She was PowerPacked February about a year ago, but I didn't do it this year because the package says it has not been tested in pregnant mares, and she has been dewormed regularly. I paste worm mine monthly (vet recommended for FL), and I rotate between ivermectin, Panacur, and either TapeCare (double Strongid I think) or Equimax 3 times a year for tapes. This month is Equimax month, or should I try a PP? As hot as it is here, would there really be any encysted strongyles to try to kill off?

All of my horses are wormed at the same time and do not share pasture with other horses.
                      Last edited by Hampton Bay; May. 31, 2008, 11:55 PM.

Comment

I like to do a power pack once a year. Also, make sure her teeth have been floated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampton Bay View Post
                          I've fed the peanut before and liked it just fine. My local feed store does not carry it, but I'm sure Hay Exchange would. How much per bale is it usually? I can get the alfalfa cubes for $11 for 50lb, and no waste.

Something else I thought of, I did not PowerPac her this year. She was PowerPacked February about a year ago, but I didn't do it this year because the package says it has not been tested in pregnant mares, and she has been dewormed regularly. I paste worm mine monthly (vet recommended for FL), and I rotate between ivermectin, Panacur, and either TapeCare (double Strongid I think) or Equimax 3 times a year for tapes. This month is Equimax month, or should I try a PP? As hot as it is here, would there really be any encysted strongyles to try to kill off?

All of my horses are wormed at the same time and do not share pasture with other horses.
                          I think we paid $6.50 a bale from our local guy here. They are heavy (60lb plus) bales.

I would also do the PowerPac. Even here in HOT (already ) Florida they can have encysted strongyles.
                          Fox Haven Farm, Inc.
                          Home of 2002 JC Registered stallion Artrageous

Artrageous has his own Facebook page!

Comment

has anyone tried a high-performance pelleted feed? I have never tried this or heard of trying it so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

since a lot of high-performance feeds are for horses that cant eat enough to keep weight on, why wouldnt it work for a lactating mare, other than possibly making her hot. although with a pelleted feed that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

as long as the cal/phos. ratio doesnt get out of balance i dont see why free feeding alfalfa cubes would be a problem, since shes not a sprint eater.
                            "Let the fence be the bit." - Phillip Dutton

Comment

Originally posted by faluut42 View Post
                              other than possibly making her hot. although with a pelleted feed that shouldnt be too much of a problem.
                              Many pelleted feeds have the same molassas content as sweet feed, just mixed into the pellet.

That said, I have never known a sweet feed to make a horse hot.

Comment

Is she on a good vitamin/mineral supplement? Mine is on Platinum Performance. Another good one that was suggested to me was Natural Balance 12:12 by Purina.
                                Cloverfox Stables

Comment

• Original Poster

As an update, the extra alfalfa cubes, oil, Sr. feed, and some extra spring grass seems to be doing the trick. She is looking less ribby. My BO is a gem. He put up a temporary fence around a small area that has a lot of new grass just for her to graze. I am truly the luckiest boarder on earth

Comment

Working...
                                  X