• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How many pregnancies did you try for and what...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pregnancies did you try for and what...

Now that the 2011 breeding season is over lets talk about the season.
    How many mares did you try to get pregnant? How many did you get pregnant? How many cycles did it take each mare to get pregnant? What was the biggest issue you dealt with when trying to get the mare(s) pregnant? Also if you could include the age of your mare(s) that would be helpful too. Was your weather normal or did that play a factor in the results?

I will go first.

I tried to get 6 pregnant. I did get all 6 infoal! Weather here went from a really WET spring to a super dry/hot June/July. But overall I do not think that played a role in my pregnancy results.

3 of them caught on the first cycle easy with no issues. They were all 11 yrs old and under.

1 took two cycles and with her she did not ovulate on time the first go around. Second cycle we used a drug to help her *let go* of the egg This mare was under 10 yrs old.

2 of them took three cycles. One mare had a foal at foot which was taking a lot out of her and she is getting older now. She is 15. The third cycle we flushed her after breeding and used Oxytocin. The other mare who took 3 cycles is 18 yrs old and has a couple cysts in her uterus and we also found out she needs to be on a thyroid supplement now.

I am happy with how the season ended, although I hope to get the mares pregnant 1or 2 cycles in 2012. 3 cycles puts my foals born too late into the year.

I have 3 due in April, 1 due in May and 2 due in June. Here is a link to my mares and who they are in foal to http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com/mares.html
    Anyone interested in new pictures of my mares and foals can check out the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blazin...88357061189488

So how did all you guys do this season? Were you pleased overall with the efforts or hope 2012 bring better results?
    http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
    Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Mid May foal

Waited 30 days and 15 year old mare came back with an infection. Recultured and yep... it was a true positive.

Then a cyst that was ruptured.

The mare never cycled properly. It was July by this point.

Missed a cycle so now we're into August.

The mare never really had obvious heats this year like she did last year but we went ahead and bred (frozen) and there was an embryo but it was small and was gone on the next check.

Vet thought the late season had something to do with it. She would come in soo quickly and big but wouldn't have good cl's.

Didn't try again and will start earlier next year.
    Last edited by back in the saddle; Sep. 4, 2011, 09:47 AM.
    Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

Comment

My mare is 18 and caught first try with chilled semen on her first cycle after foaling heat. The stud where she lives had 11 of 12 mares catch first time with a variety of frozen and chilled. The mares vary in age from 3 to 18.

The only mare that didn't get pregnant first cycle is notoriously difficult to get in foal. She scanned in foal after her second attempt and had a positive heartbeat scan but has subsequently slipped the foetus. She is being retired from broodmare duties and brought back into work as she is only young, 6 or 7 years old.

The weather was a very long, very cold winter followed by a hot, dry spring and a cool, wet summer. I don't think it played a part in whether the mares got pregnant or not.

Comment

Bred 2 and both caught first try. 1 mare is 17 and was open (by choice). The other was short cycled after her foal heat and is 12. Both were bred with fresh chilled
        Epona Farm
        Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I bred two mares this year both caught first try.

First mare is 14yrs old and was bred on her 30 day post foaling heat with fresh cooled.

Second mare is 6yrs old and was bred on her 30 day post foaling heat with frozen.
          Cindy's Warmbloods
          www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
          www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Comment

I bred two mare this year.

The first mare is 16 years old with a foal by side. She took on the first try with cooled semen.

The second mare is 16 years old with a foal by side. She took the first try with fresh cooled, checked in foal at 18 days, slipped the foal by 35 days. She is on her second try with cooled semen and has checked in foal at 18 days. She is on regumate and hopefully will stay pregnant as it is too late to try again this year.

Comment

I bred three, and all three took first cycle.
              One was barren (12 yrs old, last foal in 2010)Bred with Fresh , the other two were in their 30 day cycles post foaling. (10yr old- Frozen and 16yr old - Fresh)

Weather here has been strange, we had an endless spring then a really hot spell, and now it feels like fall.
              Tracy Geller
              www.sixpoundfarm.com
              Find me on Facebook!

Comment

What month did everyone inseminate?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by back in the saddle View Post
                  What month did everyone inseminate?
                  I started in May so my mares who caught first cycle are due in April.
                  http://www.blazingcoloursfarm.com

Join us on FACEBOOK
                  Living life for the journey, not the destination.

Comment

I bred three with a very late start. The mares I bred had all been open for a couple years. First year in the PNW and the rain just didnt stop so it messed up my sense of timing. Started getting everyone done at the beginning of August. First mare (13 yrs)with frozen, everything went fine- she is a new mare for me so we'll wait and see. Second mare with fresh (20 yrs).. we had a string of bad luck for the past two years with her, so Im really hoping its a go. And the third mare (11 yrs)with frozen... she has not kept her embryos past the 45 day mark so we have her on regumate to see if that will help things. Since we may be moving 'again', I called it quits and let the mares that foaled this year have a break.
                    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
                    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Comment

I bred quite a few mares. If I don't sell those foals, then I will leave quite a few open next year, but I had tons more people that wanted to buy the 2011 foals I had for sale than I actually had foals to sell them!

Everyone caught fine. I had a couple that needed a second cycle, but those were mostly because I tried too early in the year and I think they were still transitional.

I had one mare that I could not get in foal. She is imported, big show record, an absolutely fabulous mare. She is 10 years old, and her last foal is 4 this year. I have not been able to get her in foal since him. We cultured her last summer and found a psudamonas infection. Treated that, no dice on breeding, cultured again -- fungal infection. Vet thought she cleared it on her own, so tried to breed her this spring. Nothing. Cultured again -- still had fungal infection. Sent her to the vet's to be treated. Vet was haying -- treated, but not diligently. Brought her home, tried to breed. Nothing. Sent her with a friend to California to be worked on by her repro lady. Still had the fungal infection. Treated. Just go the biopsy results back yesterday..... IIb. I am heartbroken.
                      Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                      Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

Do you think all the fungal infections cuased the IIb?

Comment

I bred 2; both youngish, proven mares (ages 7 & 9). One had a foal at her side. One was open.

Bred the open mare x1 in late June for a May 28th foal.

Bred the one with foal at foot x1 early July for a June 28th foal.

Both caught with chilled shipped semen from 2 different stallions. No big issues (knock wood).

Just had everybody checked and they are both still in foal at 64 days & 92 days....

Now, watch 'em both foal on the same day!

Both these mares are good girls and in the past have almost always caught w/1 insemination.

BTW, I have bred as late as mid-Sept and got an early Aug. foal....in fact one of these mares was born Aug 7-9th (thereabout) and she was frozen semen foal.

Comment

Originally posted by back in the saddle View Post
                            Do you think all the fungal infections cuased the IIb?
                            What is IIb???
                            Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
                            Like us on facebook!

Comment

I had two bred after synchronizing both and only on one cycle. Both are pregnant. Both were maiden mares at 12 and 10 years old. Weather has been typical for the desert, HOT. I too bred my mares in May.
                              Last edited by exvet; Sep. 4, 2011, 03:41 PM.
                              Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Originally posted by Rhyadawn View Post
                                What is IIb???
                                Biopsy score.. IIb isn't good. see this post: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=233581

Comment

I tried to breed 6 mares. 5 got pregnant on the first try.

Mare 1 (12yrs) was bred on foal heat (frozen)
                                  Mares 2 & 3 (6yrs & 10yrs) were short cycled after foal heat (frozen)
                                  Mares 4 & 5 (7 yrs & 6 yrs) were open (fresh & frozen).

Mare 6 (6 yrs) was open (fresh) and had a discharge at the 14 day preg check. She was diagnosed with a pseudomonas infection which we battled for the rest of the summer. No pregnancy.

We had a VERY wet spring and it took a long time for the open mares to start cycling, but once they did, it was smooth sailing.
                                  Eliza
                                  www.foxwoodhanoverians.com

Comment

W bred 4 and all 4 took on first cycle. A first for us.

3 year old - fresh; bred in April - Maiden
                                    12 year old - fresh; bred in April - Open
                                    6 year old - frozen; bred in May = cycle after 30 day. folicles at 30 day didn't look right so we skipped.
                                    6 year old - fresh; bred in June = short cycled after foal heat

We usually use all frozen so this is a first for us breeding with 3 fresh. Time will tell next year if the fresh foals sell as well as the frozen. A proof of concept year for us.
                                    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
                                    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
                                    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

Comment

We tried with 4 but only have 2 confirmed in foal (in the 2 week wait with a 3rd)...weather here was really wet then really hot and dry. All mares currently have a foal at foot.
                                      1st mare (13 yrs old) took 2 tries with frozen, due 5/28/12
                                      2nd mare (10 years old) took first try with fresh, due 6/27/12
                                      3rd mare (16 years old) tried 3 times with fresh then switched stallions (also fresh) and we are awaiting her preg check (fingers crossed!!). If she's pregnant this time, she'll get next year off. She's never been a problem breeder before and I was so hoping for a full sister to this years colt that I LOVE...
                                      4th mare (18 years old) tried once with frozen then she shut down and was not cycling and it was already late so we will start early next year, possibly even do ET.
                                      www.NorthHillFarmNY.com
                                      Like us on Facebook!

Comment

Its interesting that most of the people posting have had good luck this breeding year and most of them have used fresh, chilled semen. Is this just conincidence? Are there any frozen breeders on the board willing to add their experiences to this thread?

Comment

Working...
                                        X