• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lurking Buyer wants to know, where do you sell your foals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lurking Buyer wants to know, where do you sell your foals?

Due to limited budget, I, and many more like me need to look at youngstock as opposed to a started horse. I call it the pay as you go plan--pay a trainer instead of coughing up tens of thousands up front. I've thought about buying a suitable mare, but really would like to leave the breeding up to you. My friend did ET on her show mare and that baby hasn't been born yet but has over $12K into it. Too risky for me.

So I lurk on the Breeding page and go and check out everyone's websites, but don't take it any further for a couple of reasons. #1 Reason--I don't want to waste your time and have no idea (because no price is listed) of what the price range on the colts and fillies is. So do breeders generally just list on their own sites or do you also list elsewhere (where a price would be published)?

And are you willing to sell to someone who's Olympic aspirations involve buying a ticket for the grandstand? Honestly I find some of the breeder sites intimidating. I'm just an adult amatuer (with access to good trainers) who wants a solid all-around sporthorse with more of a medium (dare I admit...sometimes forgiving) termpermant then a fiery one. I'll even admit that I want to have fun!

So where should I be looking? Is there a site I don't know of? Is it best to just ask price right away?
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Some good websites are

www.ewarmbloods.net (click on the forums icon on the right; there is a sales forum where a lot of good breeders advertise)

www.warmbloods-for-sale.com

RE prices: the ads on the above sites generally disclose the price

Some don't put prices on their websites because youngsters' prices may change as they mature, and some people have trouble updating their sites frequently. In some cases, the price may be very negotiable so people are reluctant to post something that might scare someone off.

Regarding desirable homes: I can't speak for others but I would be equally happy if a nice amateur bought one of mine and gave it a really nice home as I would be if a GP rider bought one. In fact, I might even be happier for the foal to go to a long-term loving home than one where arguably it is more likely to be passed on through a number of owners. My 3 ideal buyers would probably be, in no particular order: (a) good ammie looking for dream horse; (b) top show home; and (c) top breeding home.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Comment

I also use ewarmbloods and warmbloods-for-sale to list my babies. I have sold them to local people, and also to people in Tennessee, Louisana, Ohio, Minnesota, Connecticut, etc.

I am quite happy selling to Amateurs that are not going to go to the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeLawyer View Post
        Regarding desirable homes: I can't speak for others but I would be equally happy if a nice amateur bought one of mine and gave it a really nice home as I would be if a GP rider bought one. In fact, I might even be happier for the foal to go to a long-term loving home than one where arguably it is more likely to be passed on through a number of owners. My 3 ideal buyers would probably be, in no particular order: (a) good ammie looking for dream horse; (b) top show home; and (c) top breeding home.

Ditto...... and this IS where most of our young stock goes....
        "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
        Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
        Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
        Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Comment

You might want to check out the MidAtlantic Hanoverians breeders club website (www.mahanoverians.com). They have a sales page and links to breeders. You can also email the president and she will send out an email to the members of what you are looking for.

And don't be discouraged, many breeders will like to sell to an amateur that will care for and have fun with the horse! That is usually their largest market.
          Last edited by Edgewood; Apr. 30, 2008, 11:57 AM. Reason: fixed web address
          Kris
          www.edgewoodmeadowfarm.com
          Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/edgewoodmeadowfarm

Comment

Someone like you are the type of buyer who - I would venture to guess -- most of us would LOVE our beloved youngsters to go to!

Thank goodness for the internet -- because not only can you study all the aforementioned sales websites, but can easily check out lots of breeders websites and gain great insight into their philosophy and into how those youngsters were raised. And if you don't see a price -- just ask!

On the occasion that I do sell a horse, I do everything possible to make sure they go to someone who will take the time to truly enjoy their character and company -- and have fun with them, as well as accomplish whatever goals they might have.
            Cold Spring Farm
            German and Arabian-related GOV sporthorses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/426884770673419/

Comment

I breed aimed at the ammy market. I'm far from an Olympic caliber rider and know there are many out there like me who enjoy an athletic horse with an ammy friendly temperment. My ideal home is someone who is going to love and care for the horse and enjoy riding at whatever level suits them.

I put my foals on Dreamhorse and the Irish Draught Society web site. I always list my price as I personally hate "private treaty" ads. I like to know up front if its even worth taking up the sellers time.
              Epona Farm
              Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

I agree, most of the buyers are ammie owners and mostly women who want a horse that is kind and agreeable and fun. I think most of us breed with that in mind and temperment being at the top of the list. A good home is the prime target. My website is out of date, so my young ones aren't even on there. I have listed with warmbloods for sale and some others for them. I think we are all interested in hearing from someone who is looking and help out even if our "babies" aren't a match. The networking and meeting people with common interests is a big part of the fun and process.
                PennyG
                www.krugerrandrunfarm.com

Comment

I don't list foals anywhere but my website, as I don't want to sell them solely on the 'cuteness' factor. They need to go to someone who knows a little (or a lot) about foals - i.e. they're not just small horses - they don't come preprogrammed to lead (although we do teach them that and they are very well handled) - they should NEVER just live in stalls all day.

For that reason I don't generally put prices on them, but am completely open to someone asking about a foal, or a youngster, if they are interested.

NO, you will not be wasting our time. We breeders are in the business of breeding, raising (properly) and selling horses. We LOVE to talk about them. All my (and I'm sure every other breeder on here) teaches their foals to be good citizens, i.e. lead and load, pick up their feet for the farrier, stand to be groomed and for the vet, be caught and haltered.

Please don't be afraid to contact us - we don't bite - and neither do our horses.
                  Last edited by Tiki; Apr. 30, 2008, 01:06 PM.
                  Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                  Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

The more I see of the life of an upper-level show home, the more convinced I am that I would rather my foals go to an individual who will love them to death, and ride them to the best of their ability. I know where almost all of my foals have gone, and I love it when I hear they have become an adored member of the family. I have a website, but my foals are also advertised on www.dreamhorse.com, ewarmbloods.net, and http://www.bayequest.com/

I agree that looking at websites can be intimidating. When I look for horses to buy, I seldom go to individual websites with any expectation that I will find a horse I could afford.
                    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

You might also want to look on the uncouth bulletin board. They have recently added a "Classified" section in addition to the "Horses for Sale" section. Uncouth is a group of dedicated and knowledgeable breeders.
                      Sakura Hill Farm
                      Now on Facebook

Young and developing horses for A-circuit jumper and hunter rings.

Comment

Originally posted by SakHill View Post
                        You might also want to look on the uncouth bulletin board. They have recently added a "Classified" section in addition to the "Horses for Sale" section. Uncouth is a group of dedicated and knowledgeable breeders.
                        here's the address www.uncouthbb.com
                        Kris
                        www.edgewoodmeadowfarm.com
                        Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/edgewoodmeadowfarm

Comment

• Original Poster

Tiki, that is a good point--I hadn't really thought it through from the breeder's perspective for a young filly or colt. I'm lucky to board with someone is who also a breeder and has acres of turnout for the babies to just hang out, run around and grow up. But I know that is not the case for a lot of other people. I guess that is a benefit of living in the rural midwest. The con is all of the shows are quite a haul, so we can only do a handful each year.
                          DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some of us breed specifically to keep prices low, but still allow the average amateur with dedication and desire to go as far as they would like show-wise.

I'm *awful* about advertising. Sometimes if I am really in a pinch, I will use DreamHorse & AgDirect. I used to always have an updated sales page on my website, but I'm in cyberhell at the moment where I can't email or do webstuff at work, and home is a sturdy but handicapped windoze 98 with dialup.

The reason I say that, is I think many breeders--even those of us who post on BB's AREN'T all that cybersaavy, or don't have time to update stuff etc. We're doing the stalls, on foalwatch, teasing and breeding and such.

MY suggestion--and how I found my stallion a few years ago now--is to just CONTACT breeders whose programs you like and horses catch your fancy. You never know when they might have something for sale that's not advertised. Perhaps even older horses. (an example--not an ad--I have a 4yo who is not actively for sale, but *could* be to the right situation. I think there are probably others like me that the right PERSON comes along, we might have the right horse... but we're not quite ready to just throw them out there to the masses... )

Final suggestion, don't be afraid to look at crossbreds. Unless you are looking for a breeding animal, often a crossbred has all the attributes you are looking for, with a lower price, and sometimes they hybrid vigour means better than either of the breeds might be on their own.
                            InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

If the match is right we always try to make it work- that means payments, bringing the price down so we both are happy and so on. Last year both of our foals sold to AA riders looking to bring along a nice youngster- I couldn't be happier with the homes they they are now in. I think if you find a foal you like- just talk with the owner and see what you can work out.

Comment

I agree with "just ask". You might also get some guidance on where to look if you give an idea of what you're looking to spend. I am also intimidated by the "call for price" ad. It makes you think "really expensive". Heck I've got a (large pony so not advertising to you) yearling right now that I KNOW is fantastic, but I'd be willing to take a heck of alot less than what he's worth to get a quick sale to a loving home. So in that sense I don't want to put an ad up for what I think he's worth because of the potentially long time to sell, but if I price less expensively I'm guaranteeing that I won't get the money - so I understand that "private treaty" can mean anything (but I still won't usually call on them!).

I would also suggest considering looking for a 2 yr old, or at least a yearling - unless you have your heart set on the fun and love of a weanling. That way someone else pays for care for the first two years. Oftentimes people with older youngsters just want them moved and you can get a better deal than on a weanling.

Comment

Holsteiner Foals

You sound like the ideal buyer, the one we are all hoping will buy and love our babies. I look at my new foals and get a bit queasy at the thought of selling them. It would be wonderful if they're loved and appreciated in their new homes.

You will definitely get the biggest bang for your buck when you buy youngsters and raise them yourself. It's good to look at both parents, even if it's only a video clip, and their pedigrees. Do as much homework as possible and be patient. I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

I only advertise my horses and foals on my own website and the Holsteiner Foals website. Funny you should mention the posting of prices. I've been thinking about it and have decided it's a good idea. As soon as I recover from foal watch (we've had two new babies this week) I'm going to add prices to my website.

Bonnie
                                  http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
                                  CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
                                  Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
                                  http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Comment

Originally posted by clint View Post
                                    The more I see of the life of an upper-level show home, the more convinced I am that I would rather my foals go to an individual who will love them to death, and ride them to the best of their ability. I know where almost all of my foals have gone, and I love it when I hear they have become an adored member of the family.
                                    Ditto, I have contact with all my babies owners, which to me is an extended family, except one. I so agree, what most breeders want is for their babies to be loved and well taken care of, no matter if they are turned out in the pasture, ridden a few times a week or just simply loved on.

All the sites listed are great and also if you check with a few breeders and tell them what you are looking for, most breeders network and are glad to help each other out.

Good luck and hope you find the perfect lucky youngster.
                                    Photos and videos of my beloved boys and girls!
                                    http://community.webshots.com/user/cathykb
                                    http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/cathykb/
                                    http://www.clipshack.com/9424

Comment

Some nice babies here
                                      http://www.irishdraught.com/list_cus...p?salessection[]=20
                                      I wasn't always a Smurf
                                      Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

warmbloods-for-sale.com
                                        ewarmbloods.com
                                        breedersgroup.com
                                        dreamhorse.com is okay
                                        agdirect.com has some nice horses listed too.
                                        Hopeful Farm Sport Horses
                                        Midwest Breeders Group
                                        Follow me on Twitter
                                        Join me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                        X