• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What do we know about the stallion Heisman?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do we know about the stallion Heisman?

I did a search on here and have found several threads with complementary things to say about Heisman. I have googled and found out that Heisman is a son of Furioso II, & that he finished fourth at the Barcelona Olympic in show jumping, was Horse of the Year in the United States. Is this Heisman the Selle Francais?

Is he still standing at stud? If not, since when? What was his stud fee? Are his foals desirable? As jumpers or dressage horses? Would the dissolution of the North American Selle Francais Assoc affect salability of one of his foals? Or do I have the wrong Association?

Many thanks,

Jessi
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

I think Heisman is deceased. I believe he does have a young son Omnipotent in Virginia that is approved selle francais. They might be able to give you more information.

http://www.wildestexpectationsfarm.com/

Comment

Heisman did not place 4th in Barcelona - Quidam de Revel did. Heisman did, however, have an impressive show jumping record and did qualify as #1 for the US team. Only Norman and Irish medaled that year.

Heisman was never "Horse of the Year" in the US. It was stated by his owner that he was 5-year-old European Horse of the Year. His registered name was Friesengeist.

Heisman was registered Oldenburg, but was 3/4 French (Furioso II as the sire and Inschallah as dam's sire) and was approved by the Selle Francais for breeding. Think he also was approved Oldenburg (the ISR one), and his owner was a big supporter of the PHR and thus many of his offspring held that registration.

He died in 2004.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

Lavender, the info I got was from the Wikipedia site, so it very well could be inaccurate since anyone can edit Wikipedia from my understanding. Thank you for the clarification and explanation about the Selle Francais registry. That makes it easier to understand, for sure.

There is a 9 yo son of Heisman for sale near me, and I am trying to find out what I can on Heisman.

I would love to hear if anyone has any personal experience with Heisman foals. Many thanks.

Comment

I was a fan....Heisman ranked as exceptional in technique and talent as Starman. Both stallions were stellar stylists as top flight jumpers in their glory days.

Unfortunately Heisman may have received injury and his career in performance may not have left us with as much as he was capable of. Sadly this is part of the sport. Not all are destined for longevity. There was no question of his capability in his prime however.

I know there is a Heisman son Omnipotent (Selle Francais approved) and has both an exceptional temperament (teddy bear type) and more than average talent. He is still quite young. Cother co-owned I believe.

I don't think either stallion has the reputation of having out produced themselves, but there is time yet to prove me wrong on that theory.

I would think a son of his would be worth looking at. Good luck with him.

Got to tell you...I was a big fan.... there were two stallions in North America that I thought were "the cat's meow". One was Heisman. Starman the other. I was quite young then. It is like the William Steinkraus gold medal story. When you see classic great jumping style both in horse and rider succeed at the highest levels, it just doesn't get much better.

OK... I have ravelled on enough here.
          http://regcorkumlive.blogspot.com/

Comment

Michael and Heisman made a Grand Prix round look like a hunter round.

Comment

He was a handsome stallion - I saw him in person several times - and almost a carbon copy of Furioso II - right down to the belly spot. He was not very prepotent and we aren't the only breeder who wasted alot of time and 3 breedings seasons trying to get a foal. A friend of mine finally had a filly after 2 years of trying. A neighbor also had no luck ever getting a foal.

Of the ones I've seen - no two are alike and none look like him.

Michael Matz made just about anything he rode look easy. If I remember correctly - Heisman didn't pull any rails in Barcelona in any round.
              Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
              "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks again for the comments guys. I have 4 horses that I am looking at, and right now he is #2 on the list. It just seems like this Heisman horse is too good (and cheap) to be true, and I have found that when my gut feels that way, it's usually right. I keep looking for "the catch." Esp. as the previous interested party had him vetted early this week, he passed with flying colors (according to seller), then the buyer disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                  He was a handsome stallion - I saw him in person several times - and almost a carbon copy of Furioso II - right down to the belly spot. He was not very prepotent and we aren't the only breeder who wasted alot of time and 3 breedings seasons trying to get a foal. A friend of mine finally had a filly after 2 years of trying. A neighbor also had no luck ever getting a foal.

Of the ones I've seen - no two are alike and none look like him.

Michael Matz made just about anything he rode look easy. If I remember correctly - Heisman didn't pull any rails in Barcelona in any round.
                  I'm pretty sure they had rails in the triple combination. I'm not 100% certain, but do believe Classic Touch was the only horse without rails. Barcelona had very airy courses and difficult distances-- especially that triple.

Heisman was without rails in the Olympic qualifiers. I believe I've heard Michael refer to having made the mistake of having peaked his horse before the big event.

I don't think any horse could have beaten Classic Touch, though. She was absolutely unreal. I still get chills thinking about her performance.
                  Last edited by fish; Apr. 20, 2008, 08:50 AM.
                  http://www.tunnelsendfarm.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jessi P View Post
                    Thanks again for the comments guys. I have 4 horses that I am looking at, and right now he is #2 on the list. It just seems like this Heisman horse is too good (and cheap) to be true, and I have found that when my gut feels that way, it's usually right. I keep looking for "the catch." Esp. as the previous interested party had him vetted early this week, he passed with flying colors (according to seller), then the buyer disappears.
                    Get your own vetting done and if you like him, trust your instinct and go with it. Buyers flake all the time, esp. in this economy. I wouldn't give that a second thought if my vet passed him and I liked him.
                    Also, fwiw, I always have blood drawn at the time of vetting and frozen if there is any doubt in my mind about whether the horse may have been medicated.
                    Roseknoll Sporthorses
                    www.roseknoll.net

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks again - great advice YL. Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet & go see the fellow for myself.

Comment

Rest in peace Heisman.

Heisman...an incredible horse, shame he didn't prove his greater value in breeding with the performance talent he showed.
                        He is certainly not the first great one that falls into this group. I believe another known Grand Prix stallion who had or still has some breeding issues is Elute. Mac Cone competed with for a few years at International level. I always liked him as well. Nice big scopey horse with a ho hum nature. At any height went like a hunter.

That brings up other thoughts as well. Furioso II was such a highly prepotent stallion who has literally left a dynasty and you would think his sons would follow but such is not always the case. The mysteries of sport horse breeding.

Comment

Originally posted by Hocus Focus View Post
                          I was a fan....Heisman ranked as exceptional in technique and talent as Starman. Both stallions were stellar stylists as top flight jumpers in their glory days.

Got to tell you...I was a big fan.... there were two stallions in North America that I thought were "the cat's meow". One was Heisman. Starman the other. I was quite young then. It is like the William Steinkraus gold medal story. When you see classic great jumping style both in horse and rider succeed at the highest levels, it just doesn't get much better.

OK... I have ravelled on enough here.

I bred to both...still own the Heisman mare. She carries a half moon marking on her hock..something Heisman had on his fore leg. A heart of GOLD and put together in a great package with scope and talent.

The Starman mare was just what I ordered...one of my fav producers.
                          Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
                          GRANDE SOVEREIGN 2014 USEF 8th Leading HB Sire
                          & Sire of OWN IT - USEF National HB 3yo Champion

Grand Affiar, Grande Desire, GR Impression, Couture du Jour

Comment

My cousin has a Heisman grandson that looks just like Heisman. As did the sire. Both are still intact, neither stands to the public or breeds very many mares. Both are athletic as all get out and will probably never do anything their entire lives...
                            Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

I do believe statistically - you need to note how few offspring by him are in competition. If the goal is a foal that will end up a performance horse - the production of the stallion in that regard is important. Heisman is so famous - I would think any offspring that were very successful in competition would get some press.
                              Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                              "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

Not to dig up an old thread but.......

I currently have a grandson to Heisman here at Otteridge Farm (dam was by Heisman). This guy is by the stallion Jupiter and I can't say enough GREAT things about him. To die for gorgeous too!
                                Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver Equine Insurance Specialist

Comment

Originally posted by omare View Post
                                  I think Heisman is deceased. I believe he does have a young son Omnipotent in Virginia that is approved selle francais. They might be able to give you more information.

http://www.wildestexpectationsfarm.com/
                                  Sadly, deceased 2008.
                                  Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

How can you say the VAbred and not show pics?

I wonder how many foals Omni had? I really liked him and was crushed when he died. Wonder if any the foals are competing?
                                    Draumr Hesta Farm
                                    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                    Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Originally posted by Nootka
                                      How can you say the VAbred and not show pics?

I wonder how many foals Omni had? I really liked him and was crushed when he died. Wonder if any the foals are competing?

Well then here you are! His name is Jive (Jupiter x Clin Malira)
                                      Attached Files
                                      Last edited by VirginiaBred; Feb. 7, 2013, 12:08 PM.
                                      Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse & Jennifer Oliver Equine Insurance Specialist

Comment

wow. this is a really old thread. Omni is deceased now as well. Where did this surface from? Omni was a cribber.

Comment

Working...
                                        X