• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Question about false heat? Update- its real heat and u/s result

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about false heat? Update- its real heat and u/s result

Hi,
    I am trying to breed my mare by fresh cooled semen and my vet said to call her when I noticed the my mare go into heat. She went into heat Feb 14, March 14, and now today, April 1. I thought she would be more toward the middle of April. So I am wondering if maybe she is on false heat? Yesterday she rejected the gelding in the next pasture, but today she was all about him. She gave a few quiet squeals, squatted, peed, and winked and nickered. She was giving him kisses and letting him nip her. She turned around and pressed her butt up to the gate and did it all again. She did the whole routine 4 times in about 5-10 min, then wandered off for a while. Her typical behavior is to do that then come back in a while and do it again. So she acts like she is in heat, but she had always been a slut. My vet has not called me back yet, but from what I understand, most vets like to wait and breed on the third day of heat, so ordering the semen is not a must do for today. Just trying to get some feedback since I am a breeding noob. Thanks!
    Last edited by mpsbarnmanager; Apr. 1, 2011, 04:37 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fentre...24774504235082

http://fentressfieldsequestriancenter.com/

Sounds like she is still transitional. Still relatively early in the breeding season if your mare has not been under lights. Good luck.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

If you last noticed her on March 14 than she should be showing heat now. She is right on schedule.
      www.glenhillfarm.com
      www.learntolikepink.com my journey with breast cancer
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petalu...2907692?ref=ts

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! I never thought to note how many days passed in between heat cycles in the 13 years I have owned the silly girl! Thanks! So would that mean that she should come into heat again in roughly 14-21 days? She has not been under lights, btw. Thanks again guys!

Comment

Originally posted by mpsbarnmanager View Post
          Thanks! I never thought to note how many days passed in between heat cycles in the 13 years I have owned the silly girl! Thanks! So would that mean that she should come into heat again in roughly 14-21 days? She has not been under lights, btw. Thanks again guys!
          The average mare's cycle is 21 days from ovulation to ovulation. Typically, their heat cycle lasts from 5 to 7 days, depending on the mare. Ovulation occurs approximately 24 hours before the end of estrus display. So, if you count the days from the time the mare first shows signs of estrus, you should be 21 days.

With transitional heats, until the mare ovulates, she will display estrus and may do so for literally weeks without truly ovulating. She may also show estrus for a few days, then none for a few days and then be displaying again. Until the first ovulation of the season, that can literally for weeks and weeks :P. Once the first ovulation occurs, she should be pretty much on that 21 days cycle.

Good luck.

Comment

• Original Poster

OK, just left meeting with vet

Just left from meeting the vet. She did a rectal ultrasound and said that VG (my mare) had 3 folicles stacked on top of each other. I dont know what that means but she did not seem too concerned about it and I had the sense she was having a rough day and didnt want to ask her too many questions. She said that her dominant folicle was 34-35mm. Since today is friday she is coming back 8 am mon am to see where she is then. She said most mares will get up to a 55-60mm folicle before ovulating. She said since she my mare is a maiden she does not know if she will "be a superstar and ovulate really fast", but most mares take a few days and she would rather wait and see monday what was going on. Sound like a good plan to you all?? Thanks again!!!

Comment

Just left from meeting the vet. She did a rectal ultrasound and said that VG (my mare) had 3 folicles stacked on top of each other. I dont know what that means but she did not seem too concerned about it and I had the sense she was having a rough day and didnt want to ask her too many questions. She said that her dominant folicle was 34-35mm. Since today is friday she is coming back 8 am mon am to see where she is then. She said most mares will get up to a 55-60mm folicle before ovulating. She said since she my mare is a maiden she does not know if she will "be a superstar and ovulate really fast", but most mares take a few days and she would rather wait and see monday what was going on. Sound like a good plan to you all?? Thanks again!!!
              Well, did she mention uterine edema or endometrial folds? If she has good uterine edema and you are planning on shipping semen I would order now with a dominant follicle of 34-35. We generally order on a 35 w/ good edema. I would also wonder if this is her first cycle of the year (i.e. if she is truly done with transition). If she hasn't ovulated yet this year, then this cycle will be anyone guess, as far as how it will go.
              Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
                Well, did she mention uterine edema or endometrial folds? If she has good uterine edema and you are planning on shipping semen I would order now with a dominant follicle of 34-35. We generally order on a 35 w/ good edema. I would also wonder if this is her first cycle of the year (i.e. if she is truly done with transition). If she hasn't ovulated yet this year, then this cycle will be anyone guess, as far as how it will go.
                She did mention uterine edema but it was to say there was none yet. I had not come across that term in my reading so I am not sure what it means.

Comment

If there isn't any uterine edema at all then I would guess she still may be transitional. Generally when a mare is truly in heat, she will have a dominant follicle and uterine edema. Monday's ultrasound should give you a better idea of exactly what is going on. If I saw multiple follicles with no uterine edema I would not describe the mare as being in true heat, neccessarily.
                  Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!

Comment

Well.....

I have a mare that last year had little to no uterine edema, no 'pinwheeling' no fluid.
                    First time breeding her for me, and no ultra sound records from first breeding with her first foal the previous year.
                    She had a 32 follicle on Thursday evening. Both the Vet and I thought it was 'safe' to wait. When we inseminated her Sat morning she had ovulated... sometime during the night. Gurrrr
                    She didn't concieve on that breeding...so we short cycled her and next cycle exactly the same pattern.. She went from 32 to 40 in about 30 hours! Her foal is due in about 5 weeks...she is in foal to Banderas btw.
                    Just goes to show that mares do not read the text book. <smile>
                    Martha
                    Breeder of Quality and Colour
                    Tobiano Pinto Sporthorses
                    www.jmrpintos.com

Comment

Well, it is possible that she is going to ovulate on a small follicle, and isclose to ovulation. Usually mares lose most of their edema just before ovulation. However, with just one ultrasound it is difficult to say whether this mare is coming, going, or transitional .

Comment

Mare is a four letter word. I've had mares consume books, but never read them . ANY time of year with one ultrasound it's virtually impossible to know exactly what a mare is doing. You can make an educated guess by looking at all the landmarks and hoping the mare follows the norm. But, not all do. For example, anything larger than a 35mm follicle is considered a "breedable" follicle....except on a transitional mare. And, I had a HUGE Holsteiner mare that if I waited for a 35 mm follicle, I'd miss her every time...she'd ovulate on a 33 to 34 :O!!

Multiple, decent sized follicles and little to no edema would lead me to suspect that she may fool everyone and either ovulate....or not . Yeah, I LOVE this time of year! NOT!

Comment

I have 2 mares that ovulate on a 19 day cycle.
                          One of them has almost no edema. The vets thought this wierd - and did not inseminate on her 1st cycle. Over the years, there has never been any more edema than a "2" on a scale of 1-4 - often just a "1". However, that is her norm, and that pattern is now established.
                          Also, I would not say that "most" mares go to a 55-60 mm follicle.
                          I have one who generally ovulates at 39-43 mm. A couple others may go 50-55 mm. All good sized mares.
                          There is wide variability between mares, and, with the same mare, variability in cycles from the 1st of the year through to late season.
                          In my experience, if I think a mare will ovulate, I like to have the semen available 2 days after a 34 mm follicle.
                          Sunny Days Hanoverians
                          http://www.sunnydayshanoverians.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sunnydays View Post
                            I have 2 mares that ovulate on a 19 day cycle.
                            One of them has almost no edema. The vets thought this wierd - and did not inseminate on her 1st cycle. Over the years, there has never been any more edema than a "2" on a scale of 1-4 - often just a "1". However, that is her norm, and that pattern is now established.
                            Also, I would not say that "most" mares go to a 55-60 mm follicle.
                            I have one who generally ovulates at 39-43 mm. A couple others may go 50-55 mm. All good sized mares.
                            There is wide variability between mares, and, with the same mare, variability in cycles from the 1st of the year through to late season.
                            In my experience, if I think a mare will ovulate, I like to have the semen available 2 days after a 34 mm follicle.
                            Similar here...I have one mare who is on an 18 day cycle, it was very frustrating finding that out!! She would go from a 32mm to a 42mm in less then 48 hours...we learned to order the semen (when using fresh) when she was in the 32-36 range...AFTER about 3-4 MISSED ovulations and it worked like a charm!! ...very frustrating as mares are on their own time and way of going! She also didn't have a lot of edema either so it made it tricky to figure her out...it would be nice if all mares were text book that is for sure!!
                            Elegant Expressions Farm

Visit us on Facebook too !!

Comment

• Original Poster

**sigh**

Well, 3 ultrasounds later, she was still only had a 41mm follicle this morning. The vet said her edema is going down so she guessed there was a 30 percent chance she would not O. So we are going to short cycle her and I give her the shot next monday. I don't want to know what the 3 u/s will cost, but I know that's just part of the game. Just kinda bummed.

Comment

Here edema SHOULD go down if she is going to ovulate.
                                Short cycling won't work until/unless she does ovulate, and then the shot needs to be given at least 5 days after ovulation.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, she (the vet) said the lutalyse (sp?) Should make her ovulate in 7 days. So I gess if she is going to ovulate she has 2 days to do it, huh? She said that she may or may not ovulate because she felt like with the slow follicle growth she may still be transitional and it was up to me weather to order the semen or not. Since she didn't sound very positive, I decided to wait until the odds were more in my favor. I also asked her is it would just be easier to wait until her next natural cycle, but she acted like the sooner we got her in foal the better. Thanks again for the thoughts!! Very helpful!!
                                  Last edited by mpsbarnmanager; Apr. 5, 2011, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Well, she (the vet) said the lutalyse (sp?) Should make her ovulate in 7 days. Is that not always the case? Thanks again for the thoughts!! Very helpful!!
                                    Lutalyse does not induce ovulation. To induce ovulation you usually use something like HCG or deslorelin. Lutalyse causes the CL to lyse (the CL is the structure formed after an ovulation) and brings a mare back into heat.

I'm a little confused why you all are scrapping this cycle? It sounds like she formed a follicle, it grew, there was edema, etc. If the follicle was greater than 35 and there WAS edema, then you could give HCG or deslorelin and breed the mare (or vice versa, depending upon preference). It just seems like you may be wasting this cycle for no reason?

Comment

I agree, sounds like this was a good cycle and if you had semen you should put it in right now. Did she say if the follicle is soft or misshapen at all?

We always give lutalyse on a Thursday to get rid of a CL and bring mare in. We check on Sunday night and plan the order for the week (we know our mares SO well), which is usually ordering Tues or Wed. Then we normally give HCG and most have ovulated by Thursday or Friday, so maybe the vet was saying with Lutalyse they may ovulate at around 7 days after the shot? I have heard 7 to 9 which seems to prove accurate.

The slow follicle growth could very well be due to cool weather and that we're still a little early in the natural breeding season. In the summer they go much quicker...

But, yeah, sounds like this was a good heat. Edema will peak at about 36-48 hours from ovulation and begin to wane as ovulation draws near. Some of our mares never get super crazy edema and some do, but they always lose it before they go.

I see you are in SE VA, so are we (well we are just over the line into NC) - we have the best repro vet on earth (I'm biased ) so I can give you her name if you want!
                                      Signature Sporthorses
                                      www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

I agree that it sounds like this might be a normal heat cycle. If your vet is determined to short cycle please ask her about the 2 small doses of lutalyse instead of the one 2cc injection. A lot easier on your mare.
                                        www.glenhillfarm.com
                                        www.learntolikepink.com my journey with breast cancer
                                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petalu...2907692?ref=ts

Comment

Working...
                                        X