• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Small business plans, holstein breeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small business plans, holstein breeding

I've read some great advice/threads on small business plans. In an attempt to avoid piggy backing off of someone else's topic, I thought I'd start my own.

I'm an amateur rider who competes in the 1.20-1.30m jumpers. I am not someone who can go out and buy horses at that level, and so I've had to develop all my horses from young stock. I currently have two 2008 holsteiner fillies that I'm trying to decide if I should breed this year. They are well bred, well put together and both have great minds (check out other posts for more info on them. 1)Campione/Laval 1/Calvados II and 2) Campione/Cassini I/Caretino)

This is my dilemma. I am not a breeder and would need to co-own my horses with my cousin who is a breeder (very knowledgeable). I do not have my own land, and so paying board on them for the years before they either sell and/or are rideable would not be feasible. Co-owning them would allow me to keep the mare/foal at my cousins place in exchange for 50% ownership and sharing costs.

I bought these two as sport prospects, not broodmares, and I'm a bit scared of ruining their sport careers with the risks of foaling. I know this is done all the time.

I also would need to either 1)improve on the mare and keep the offspring therefore selling the mare or 2)At LEAST cover my costs by selling the offspring.

I love the advice given by RyTimMick about keeping within a registry, REALLY know your mare family and fill a niche. Mine would be the jumper ring, and I do have an in house rider (myself). I would be able to start and campaign anything that didn't sell as young.

So...do I breed one of them this year, or forget and keep them for their original purpose? And what are the opinions out there of the co-ownership. How would YOU work that arrangement?
    Thanks for all the input!

My advice would be to train and sell the fillies, set aside money from the sale of those two and purchase their replacements as 2 or 3 year olds instead of breeding them.

Without your own property and the "right now" practical breeding knowledge (there is a learning curve), you may end up on the losing end. Things can go wrong with breeding and it doesn't sound like you are setup to lose one of those fillies or "hold" an offspring that ends up with a problem.

In addition, co-ownerships can go wrong real fast when problems develop.

Just my two cents given your OP.
    Richard, Approved Black KWPN Stallion
    Website
    and Facebook page
    Oh Kaptain Underpants SFS, Approved BRp pony stallion
    Website and Facebook page

Comment

Have you considered breeding them by ET? That way you would limit the pregnancy/foaling risk, and allows you to keep them in training...
      http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sfstable View Post
        My advice would be to train and sell the fillies, set aside money from the sale of those two and purchase their replacements as 2 or 3 year olds instead of breeding them.

Without your own property and the "right now" practical breeding knowledge (there is a learning curve), you may end up on the losing end. Things can go wrong with breeding and it doesn't sound like you are setup to lose one of those fillies or "hold" an offspring that ends up with a problem.

In addition, co-ownerships can go wrong real fast when problems develop.

Just my two cents given your OP.
        From a business standpoint, I totally agree. You can eat a ton of money breeding and have nothing to show for it. That said, if you really want to, go for it...

What I hav seen work really well (w/an excellent contract) is if you are a trainer/rider and there is already a breeder who has 3-4-5 year olds that need campaigning to either sell, or increase the value of their offspring. They pay all raising and upkeep costs, but you do free training in exchange for $$ when the horse sells. Could be a percentage or a percentage plus 50/50 on any amount above $____. Then you each focus on your strengths.

Edited to add, that is what the breeder above did--ET on the mare in training and I think the breeder bore the cost, but some of the compensation to the rider may have been $ from the ET. The ET's were worth a lot more for an FEI level well-bred mare vs. what she was getting on well-bred mares that were pasture puffs.
        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have you proved yourself. Have you taken a nice young prospect all the way to a successful trained jumper and sold it for a good price. I would say what you have are the horses you need to prove this with...it is harder than you think. Train both of them to a good start...ready to go in the ring at the lowest level and offer them both for sale. Learn how to market a nice young prospect to the people you want to do business with in the end who can pay good prices for good candidates...believe me it is harder to do than you think. Purchase another young prospect to take the place of the one sold. You might be able to purchase an older horse you can start training earlier or perhaps upgrade to a better quality/pedigree of young horse. Take the remaining mare of the original two and continue advancing her up the levels...show and enjoy her. If she turns out to be very talented beyond your level of jumping comfort...sell her for a good price. Replace her with another youngster. If you find you can do this successfully then talk to breeders who have youngstock you like about working together to breed and sell jumpers. There are many small parts that make a successful sale in the end. The good start is one where the average amateur can get on and be comfortabe and feel confident. You always look like a successful trainer and rider...no slumping around. Your horses are known for being beautifully presented both at home and at shows. You take advantage of the bnts by driving your lovely mares in for lessons. Develop relationships that can help you sell for good prices long term. Breeding would be for when you have a mare who is injured but was successful or has aged out of her jumping career or who needs a break for a year. Have fun. PatO

Comment

Boy we are so smart..we all posted the same thing at the same time...funny. PatO

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks

Thank you for the input so far. I think I need to be a bit more clear...
              I have actually brought along many horses, both for other people (primarily www.carletonwarmbloods.com) as well as my own resales. I have started many of these horses from only being halter broke, or I've restarted them in their 4 year old year. This includes "Double Whammy" who I sold to Atlanta, Georgia (I live in Canada) as a medium pony hunter who went on to pin 6th at USEF finals the first year the new owners showed him. My current jumper is a horse I started english as a 4 year old and is now a successful 1.30m horse. So starting and bringing along is something I'm very comfortable with and have a lot of experience doing.

I purchased my fillies at a very reasonable rate thanks to a perfect storm of situations. I am unable to replace them for any where near what I paid for them. I am willing to sell them once they're going (as was mentioned) in the $25000-$30000 range, so not super motivated or negotiable due to their talent and pedigrees. They are exceptionally well bred.
              I want to move up. To buy a horse at the 1.40-1.50m level is in the mid 6 figures. I will never afford that. I have a great education and non horse career ahead of me, so caring for multiple horses is not a problem. BUT, breeding something you have to board makes for negative profits. Also, both these fillies have the potential to be upper level jumpers and were bred with the hope to go in the grand prix ring.

My dilemma is: Do I keep the mare's valuable genetics through breeding her and risk her health through breeding or not? And, of course deal with the possible problems associated with co-ownership? Has anyone ever tried this and how did they set up the contract?
              Hope that helps clear up the scenario a bit!

Comment

Go ahead and move forward with their training and performance career. With the market upside down, breeding is a money pit right now and partnerships have a tendency of going south. You can always do an ET down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by showjumpers66 View Post
                  Go ahead and move forward with their training and performance career. With the market upside down, breeding is a money pit right now and partnerships have a tendency of going south. You can always do an ET down the road.
                  I agree with this. Also, will you be in a position in the next few years to own your own place? That would mean you could proceed with competing these mares and bring them home later for breeding.

It will be hard to have an arrangement such as the one you mention with your cousin and come out whole in the end. I don't think paying expenses and 50% ownership sounds like a great deal. You would be better off iff you could find a stallion owner with a stallion you are interested in, to lease your mares and for a foal for them and then return the mares in foal later. You might get lucky if they are nice mares.

Comment

• Original Poster

It will be hard to have an arrangement such as the one you mention with your cousin and come out whole in the end. I don't think paying expenses and 50% ownership sounds like a great deal. You would be better off iff you could find a stallion owner with a stallion you are interested in, to lease your mares and for a foal for them and then return the mares in foal later. You might get lucky if they are nice mares.[/QUOTE]

Hi Sketcher. Can you explain what you mean here? (With the stallion owner bit?)

I won't likely breed them once their in sport (unless of course, they need time off from sport for injury, rest etc.) My plan is to sell them once they are in the smaller grand prixs. The change to this plan would occur if they turn out not to have the scope for that level, then I would sell them earlier.

For those that recommend ET once they're in sport, which would allow me to breed them once I own my own property: Any experience with breeding high end sport horses in busy careers? I have heard it is very difficult to successfully take embryos off a mare while she is in full training. I suppose it probably depends on what sort of hormone balancing the mare requires. This is sort of the ideal situation for me (the ET route) but I was scared off of it from various breeders in my area who are also grand prix level riders. They have not had success taking embryos off of their in-sport mares.

It sounds like everyone on here feels that the co-ownership combined with the economy is the big deterrent. I'm guessing that the reason everyone here continues to breed despite this economy is that they are A) already established and B)Can maximize profits by owning their own land. Is that a fair assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by LPiper View Post
                      It will be hard to have an arrangement such as the one you mention with your cousin and come out whole in the end. I don't think paying expenses and 50% ownership sounds like a great deal. You would be better off iff you could find a stallion owner with a stallion you are interested in, to lease your mares and for a foal for them and then return the mares in foal later. You might get lucky if they are nice mares.
                      Hi Sketcher. Can you explain what you mean here? (With the stallion owner bit?)

I won't likely breed them once their in sport (unless of course, they need time off from sport for injury, rest etc.) My plan is to sell them once they are in the smaller grand prixs. The change to this plan would occur if they turn out not to have the scope for that level, then I would sell them earlier.

For those that recommend ET once they're in sport, which would allow me to breed them once I own my own property: Any experience with breeding high end sport horses in busy careers? I have heard it is very difficult to successfully take embryos off a mare while she is in full training. I suppose it probably depends on what sort of hormone balancing the mare requires. This is sort of the ideal situation for me (the ET route) but I was scared off of it from various breeders in my area who are also grand prix level riders. They have not had success taking embryos off of their in-sport mares.

It sounds like everyone on here feels that the co-ownership combined with the economy is the big deterrent. I'm guessing that the reason everyone here continues to breed despite this economy is that they are A) already established and B)Can maximize profits by owning their own land. Is that a fair assessment?[/QUOTE]
                      ----------------------------------------------------
                      I don't know, the BO where I keep my filly got embryos from her mare that was in full training. I don't remember her saying there were any issues. Especially if you are the trainer-owner...you control the schedule.

Paying someone board on a broodmare eats your profit. Ask me how I know...(luckily I was breeding this one for me). Also, it is just plain stressful from a care management standpoint.

A lot of the breeders on here have established broodmares with pipelines for selling foals. In addition to owning broodmares, they also probably already had semen or studfees when the market tanked (my guess). It is/was a great time to cull your herd and increase your quality.
                      DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

"Paying someone board on a broodmare eats your profit. Ask me how I know...(luckily I was breeding this one for me). Also, it is just plain stressful from a care management standpoint. "

Although I wouldn't being paying any board and only some of the vet and stud fee costs, I would be paying through giving up part ownership of the resulting foal. Her lease fee of the mare would be to cover the majority of the costs.

Another thing to consider is that the economy in Canada, particularly in Alberta is unscathed. Though, truthfully, a poor US economy significantly decreases our market up here.

I think I have been significantly discouraged from this process. Thanks I am still going to sit down and talk about possible contracts/conflicts/how to resolve said conflicts. Doesn't hurt to talk. I'm also going to discuss with my repo vet her opinions/experience with ET from mares in sport. We'll see.

I don't want to close this off, as I'm getting some really interesting input. Maybe we can steer this conversation towards starting up a small breeding operation when one does own appropriate property. What has worked for others and why? What hasn't worked and why?

Thanks all.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh forgot to mention, if I don't breed her I will be paying board on her for that duration of time. I've started them both and will be turning them back out to grow up for a year. So, no riding and the cost of outdoor board, which, thankfully is not to gruesome in this part of the country ($300/month). So the only way to get out of paying board and care costs is by breeding her. Which, OF COURSE is not a reason to breed. Though does need to be considered in the overall costs.

Comment

Working...
                          X