• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Booking Fee - What's it really for and what is reasonable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booking Fee - What's it really for and what is reasonable?

I was just glancing through a stallion auction and looking at stallion ads, and I noticed one farm that has a $500 booking fee on top of the advertised stud fee (and no, that is not an all inclusive type booking fee)

The stud fees are not cheap, especially for the farms relatively young and unproven lineup of stallions, and the $500 booking fee on top makes them seem just plain pricey.

That said, I'm not a SO. I have no idea what goes into that side of the breeding operation. Fill me in. What does a booking fee cover (because I notice many SOs waived their booking fee for the auctions) and what is typically reasonable? I just always assumed it was an "office fee & non refundable" portion.

Just curious.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

JB

Great question! I was wondering the same thing.

I have been keeping an eye on some of the auctions, too. Most of the stallions that would interest me are the ones that have the booking fees, which are not included in the auction bid. I noticed that a lot of those stallions have no bids, either.

Since most of those stallion owners include the booking price in the breeding fee in their regular contract, why not do the same for an auction?

It kind of defeats the purpose of the auction, which, I believe, is to help mare owners have an affordable chance to breed to a nice stallion?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Comment

Because the stud fee is donated to the auction organization. The booking fee and the collection fees go to the stallion owner/vet if using an outside collector.

I agree a $500 booking fee is high, their way of compensating the donation.

And also why we are seeing less and less auction participation.
      Don't let anyone tell you that your ideas or dreams are foolish. There is a millionaire walking around who invented the pool noodle.

Comment

It is suppose to cover the "paperwork" cost, and in some cases, covers first collection fees. In reality - it is so the SO gets something for the "donated" stud fee. And I agree, $500 is quite a bit.

The other thing to be aware of - if you end up CHANGING the mare (i.e. mare one doesnt' get pregnant, dies, whatever), many SOs will change a 2nd "booking" fee. I got caught in one of those a few years back with a booking fee (after buying a Hanoverian breeding in an auction where no booking fee was advertised). I paid the first booking fee ($450 which included NO collections!), maiden mare didn't conceive, SO wanted another booking fee to transfer the breeding. I forfeited everything - it just wasn't worth it (didn't help that stallion had sub-par semen). Be careful, although there are many good stories on stallion auctions, there are some bad stories too. I want to clarify - I didn't buy the breeding through one of the big registry stallion auctions, this was for a fundraiser for a specific event. But it did sour me on that SO

Comment

As both a Stallion Owner and Mare Owner, I am NOT a fan of booking fees. If memory serves me correct, the practice of using booking fees actually comes from the Thoroughbred industry...and once it made it's way into the warmblood and sport horse/pony world, it's seems to have gone out of control!

That being said, it CAN serve a purpose for busy stallions and busy Stallion Owners so that a Mare Owner is required to "reserve a spot" to their stallion. Especially if a stallion is limited to X number of mares per year or they are busy with shows, etc. But for those stallions that maybe only get 3-5 mares per year, in my opinion, that booking fee is just another way to squeeze more money out of the Mare Owner.

As someone mentioned above, it is sometimes done in the Stallion Auctions so that the Stallion Owner gets a little bit of money thrown their way after donating a stud fee. But many Mare Owners agree that it tends to be a deterrent when placing bids!
          www.DaventryEquestrian.com
          Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
          Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

I am a SO that charges a booking fee. It is a small "portion" of the stud fee that is used similar to a deposit. It is non-refundable. My feeling is that once I receive that booking fee, I make a commitment to that MO and her collection becomes paramount. If I was scheduled to attend a show around that time, I would cancel (No frozen semen.) I also feel as though it establishes better lines of communication between the Mo and myself, in terms of how the mare is cycling, etc. It is merely a "commitment". The balance of the stud fee is not due until prior to the first collection. I personally don't agree with charging another booking fee if the mare is transferred or another mare is used in the original mare's place. That being said, when I did donate to auction sites, I did not charge the booking fee. Only the collection fee, which I had to do so I wasn't loosing money. (I use an outside collection facility as I am not set up to do my own collections.)

FWIW, I am also a MO. I have looked at the auction sites and wouldn't be as inclined to choose a stallion whose owner charges a booking fee.

Comment

As a MO, my understanding is that the booking fee is basically a portion of the stud fee that you will have to pay again to reserve your place in the stallion's book for the coming year. Some stallions have (and should have IMHO, to keep the value up of youngstock) limited books. Also, if you have a mare that takes multiple seasons to conceive, I think it helps cover the trailering expenses, pay them for their time, etc for the coming year that the SO will be helping me get me get my mare bred. As long it is a reasonable fee (about 1/4 or less of the stud fee), I don't mind paying.
              I was actually wondering about auctions, though...in particular the VPBA auction, if those stallions were still charging a booking fee on top of the stud fee?
              http://summerwoodwelsh.com
              Summerwood Farm Welsh Ponies~
              http://www.facebook.com/Summerwoodfarmwelshponies

Comment

I'll answer as a stallion owner - we trailer to SBS to have our stallions collected. The $200 booking fee helps to offset the loss of 2+ hours of my riding time (stallions go to be collected first thing in the morning while it is still cool - which is prime riding time in the summer). Normally, I am paid $75 per ride. The additional $50 goes to pay the staff who have to 'cover' for my absence and defray the fuel costs. I do not factor in the wear and tear/insurance of the rig as those are farm operating costs and we would have those regardless of having stallions. There is no 'cushion' added to cover the annual EVA boosters or CEM testing for each stallion - those are also 'operating costs'. If my mom were having to do the hauling, we would have to charge more as her lesson and riding fees are higher and she is harder to 'replace'. We are optimistic though and have a lower Booking Fee as we expect the stallions to get their mares pregnant in a single cycle.

If it is a last minute collection (for this year and all subsequent years), I will have to haul to Chesapeake City which is a full 3.5 hours round trip. For the time being, I will 'eat' those additional costs but that may change due to competition scheduling in any case.

ETA: I have stopped donating to Stallion Auctions as those have been very trying and difficult learning experiences - for instance 4 out of 8 donations have been breeding nightmares - 6 or 7 cycles and then the mare turns up barren (as a last resort client finally did a biopsy & cytology) and those were full on donations of services - no booking fee charged...and a huge personal $ outlay of time, wear and tear on the stallion and fuel. It is easier to work with a MO with some sort of a payment plan than to do that again.
                Watermark Farm
                Blog
                Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Summerwood View Post
                  Some stallions have (and should have IMHO, to keep the value up of youngstock) limited books.
                  This is what we have always done with our stallions.
                  www.DaventryEquestrian.com
                  Home of Oldenburg, Westphalian & RPSI approved pony stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
                  Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

My stallion's fee includes a $100 non-refundable booking fee. I have donated two breedings to two different auctions and in both my booking fee is included. I am only breeding him to limited mares so the booking fee is so that I know the MO is serious and does plan on using the breeding. If they back out and I can't fill that spot in his book then I have covered some of my costs and time.

I don't think booking fees should be anymore than $200. It is just an extra way for people to make money and I don't think it's fair, a reasonable booking fee is fair IMO. I also think SOs should always include the booking fee in the stud fee when they advertise. When you see "$500 stud fee" then in smaller print under it you see "$350 booking fee" it almost feels like false advertisement! lol
                    Oakwood Farm
                    Home to Rowntree Welsh & Half Welsh Hunter Ponies!
                    Bloodlines includes Llanarth Senator, Rosedale Top Cat, Telynau Elgar & more!

Comment

Some stallions have (and should have IMHO, to keep the value up of youngstock) limited books.
                      I have to ask... what stallions in North America have to limit their books? I can only think of one stallion who allegedly had over 100 breedings in a season and that was over a decade ago when the supply of sport horse stallions was considerably less than it is now.
                      www.avenir-farm.com

Comment

Originally posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
                        I have to ask... what stallions in North America have to limit their books? I can only think of one stallion who allegedly had over 100 breedings in a season and that was over a decade ago when the supply of sport horse stallions was considerably less than it is now.
                        I agree. Any SO I know in North America would love to have more breedings. This idea of "limited book" is just to put pressure on people to hurry up and breed (pay)
                        LIKE us on Facebook!
                        https://www.facebook.com/matchmakerequine
                        http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Comment

I bought a breeding in an auction. Mare lost her pregnancy to a dystocia. Got her back in foal, but pregnancy aborted somewhere along the way. Meanwhile the stallion died. The SO allowed me to keep the contract if I paid a $300 booking fee since I bought the breeding in an auction.

Due to the wretched economy, I put all the mares on hold for the past three years. I am not alone, knowing what my friends have done.

Stallions need offspring on the ground, there is nothing better than a top quality baby out in public.

Sympathies to a SO trying to service an unhealthy mare, but I have to think MO are going to be really cautious about the mares they want to use before running up thousands in vet bills.
                          www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by aab View Post
                            I am a SO that charges a booking fee. It is a small "portion" of the stud fee that is used similar to a deposit. It is non-refundable. My feeling is that once I receive that booking fee, I make a commitment to that MO and her collection becomes paramount. If I was scheduled to attend a show around that time, I would cancel (No frozen semen.) I also feel as though it establishes better lines of communication between the Mo and myself, in terms of how the mare is cycling, etc. It is merely a "commitment". The balance of the stud fee is not due until prior to the first collection. I personally don't agree with charging another booking fee if the mare is transferred or another mare is used in the original mare's place. That being said, when I did donate to auction sites, I did not charge the booking fee. Only the collection fee, which I had to do so I wasn't loosing money. (I use an outside collection facility as I am not set up to do my own collections.)

FWIW, I am also a MO. I have looked at the auction sites and wouldn't be as inclined to choose a stallion whose owner charges a booking fee.
                            Exactly! This is how I handle my stallion a small portion of the stud fee is paid up front as a "booking fee". I limit my stallion as I only do live cover and I show him, so I on;y breed a small number of outside mares each year
                            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

Honestly I have no idea about horses, I breed ponies, and even then I am not sure any would approach the 100 mark. But I am sure there are some QH and TB stallions that may fall in this category? Ponies tend to be like potato chips , but as a MO I still like to see some limitations on the amount of babies a stallion is siring in a given year, including the SO's own breedings. JMHO
                              http://summerwoodwelsh.com
                              Summerwood Farm Welsh Ponies~
                              http://www.facebook.com/Summerwoodfarmwelshponies

Comment

Honestly I have no idea about horses, I breed ponies, and even then I am not sure any would approach the 100 mark. But I am sure there are some QH and TB stallions that may fall in this category? Ponies tend to be like potato chips , but as a MO I still like to see some limitations on the amount of babies a stallion is siring in a given year, including the SO's own breedings. JMHO
                                Yes, sorry I wasnt including TBs or QHs.
                                I would like to see lots of offspring from a stallion, so that I have a better idea of what he needs to be crossed with in an ideal world:-).
                                Also, if I see that he has sired lots, yet they arent winning, or pleasing to me, then I know he isnt adding much to an equation, so best to look elsewhere.
                                LIKE us on Facebook!
                                https://www.facebook.com/matchmakerequine
                                http://www.matchmakerequine.com

Comment

I think the booking fee is more of a deposit. I have a stallion that will close early and a lot of people have paid the booking fee to hold a place. It doesn't make the breeding more or less expensive it just holds the breeding. I do think that some stallion owners make people pay a new booking fee every year if the mare doesn't get in foal which I think is wrong.
                                  www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Comment

This. I have worked with 2 SOs as of late that do not have booking fees. They purchased their SOs in EU and EU doesn't do this so perhaps they are following the EU model.
                                    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

From a TB racing point of view, the booking fee is a deposit toward stud fee. It covers the teasing and handling of the mare during breeding. (We don't charge extra for that.) A guarantee that we will find a place for your mare and do our very best to get her in foal. We work HARD for that.

Booking fees are no longer in fashion in the TB industry.
                                      It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

We would never put a booking fee at more than $150. Anything more than that is unfair to the mare owner.
                                        It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

Working...
                                        X