• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

You haven't cured me yet! (breeding suggestions)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You haven't cured me yet! (breeding suggestions)

So, while you guys have managed to cure others on here, I've recently had a little life change that has encouraged me to breed my mare Thankfully, I realize that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Basically, I'm going away for quite a while, and my darling mare will be sitting in the pasture and turning into a fatty. She's incredible, and the surrounding community isn't happy that I'm not going to lease her out to someone to continue eventing on. But, I'm not going to be here to watch over the whole thing, so she's just going to sit.

Background on the mare: Thoroughbred, a little over 15.3 hands. Serious UL prospect, and not according to me. Unfortunately, I'm a pansy, so we'll never go further than prelim. Her family consistantly produces good feet, great canter, and excellent cross country horses. They are on the hotter side though, and not the biggest fans of dressage. I don't mind this so much though, as it makes them pretty simple and reliable. Conformationally, she's a bit long in the cannon, and could use a little more slope to her shoulder.

What I want: Exactly her, but with a little more dressage aptitude-something that could do about third level. I'm only 5'2", so I'm kind of torn between getting a hony that'll fit me like she does, or at least trying for something about 16 hands, in case something happens. And while she's fairly refined and light, I wouldn't want something much much heavier. The only complaint I could have when riding her is that she is a pretty intense mare. She is always switched on and tenses up very easily. While I wouldn't mind a little more relaxed version of her, I absolutely do not want something duller than she is; I love that she's naturally on the aids and takes things fairly literally ("Jump this? Ok" end of story).

So, any suggestions? Breed isn't really important, at this point.

Here is a conformation picture of her as a gangly two year old (you can see she's filled out quite a bit by the summer of her fourth year): http://www3.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...2677_15242677/

And a video of her as a four year old, after about 30 rides (not me, obviously): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3MU5pXXQPg

She's now six. Anyone else think that I've been neglecting this little darling when it comes to camera time

Im assuming you want to breed to a WB?

Not too sleepy/heavy, right?

A couple of the Ferro horses I've ridden were extremely sharp but in a laid back way, but I do believe they were a bit heavier to medium build.

Not spooky but energetic IMO.

(Im no expert just giving you ideas from out of the TB mares I know)

I dunno if he is still breeding but I was happy with the TB crosses I saw from him (Ferro).

LOVED a mare from this guy

http://www.goldhopefarm.com/goodtimes.htm

Coolest energy without crazy mare, so super reasonable but ready to go.

I like this line for TB's also

http://www.bridlewoodhanoverians.com/donnerkeil.php

his babies kinda stamp though so it has to be what you want
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

http://www.belltowerstud.com/the_sta...argeant_pepper

http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/p....php?unid=5078

http://www.hiddencreekhorses.com/our-stallion.html
      Last edited by carolprudm; Dec. 22, 2010, 07:08 PM.
      I wasn't always a Smurf
      Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys! I don't need a WB, I was actually flipping through the Conn. thread that's also going.

I know I don't want an Irish Draught stallion for her though. If I were going to go Irish, he'd have to have a high percentage of TB.

Comment

Check out the ATA Stallion Service Auction...47 amazing stallions available this year for great deals!

Check out Schiffon*Ps*, he's the cat's pajamas

Comment

All arounder

Sounds like you really want a more balanced dressage athlete but that is an all arounder who does it all or can do it all. What part of the country do you live in. I know some excellent ones but some dont ship (sperm lives in the container) as well.

Comment

• Original Poster

East Coast

Comment

On the ATA side.. check out Blitz und Donner.. def. all round. Our filly out of our anglo mare is just turning two in '11 and she has the added bone and athleticism, as well as size over her dam. The filly is just so nice we are repeating that cross from here on out..David Beattie said Blitz has some of his best offspring out of blooded mares. He is on the ATA link as well as the KD jumpers website. We've seen him in person and he is just a high quality animal that really stamps it.
                www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
                Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Comment

I'm no expert...

I am not really a breeding expert... but here are some "all rounders" that I like in North America who have fresh semen available (most are Trakehners because I know they are popular for eventing and you said you would like something refined):

Viva Voltaire - http://www.charlotfarm.com/viva%20voltaire.htm

Escudo II - http://www.rainbowequus.com/EscudoII.htm

Heling - http://www.galtenfarms.com/

Herzzauber - http://www.meadowview.ca/stallions/herzzauber.htm

Lord Locksley (I don't know much about him , but he has recently sparked my interest and looks adorable) - http://americantrakehner.com/Stallions/LordLocksley.asp

This last one isn't one of my personal favourites - but may be what you are looking for since he has both an eventing and dressage performance record:

Stiletto - http://www.valhallatrakehner.com/stiletto.htm

I don't know if I would go with frozen for a maiden mare but if you do go that way - my favourite stallions are:
                  • Sir Oldenburg
                  • Ferro

.... well this list could get really long so I will leave it at that.
                  Be firm, fair, kind, clear, consistent, patient, and, above all else, maintain a sense of humour.
                  www.stargazerfarm.ca

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm a little worried breeding her to a Trak though. You guys don't think it'll make her a bit more quirky than she already is?

Comment

Originally posted by Coppers mom View Post
                      I'm a little worried breeding her to a Trak though. You guys don't think it'll make her a bit more quirky than she already is?
                      I think thats a myth.. you would think a foal from an anglo-arab would be walking on air, right? Nope.. she is just about bomb proof naturally, very very smart and people oriented though which I also think is just as much a Trak trait as an arab one. Talk to David Beattie or some of the other trak. breeders-- I heard this that a lot of temperament issues in the past decade or so came from one very famous jumping sire who put hundreds of foals on the ground that carried that difficult temperament. The one breeder I mentioned doesnt have any on his farm because of that.
                      www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
                      Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Comment

Originally posted by Coppers mom View Post
                        Thanks guys! I don't need a WB, I was actually flipping through the Conn. thread that's also going.

I know I don't want an Irish Draught stallion for her though. If I were going to go Irish, he'd have to have a high percentage of TB.
                        In that case check out these guys
                        http://www.irishdraught.com/horses/roster.php?sunid=23

In particular Manu Forti's Sea Hawk

Irish horses, both draughts and Connemaras are noted for their short cannon bones
                        I wasn't always a Smurf
                        Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                        "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                        The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

• Original Poster

I used to work for an Irish Draught breeder, I know.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wehrlegirl View Post
                            I think thats a myth.. you would think a foal from an anglo-arab would be walking on air, right? Nope.. she is just about bomb proof naturally, very very smart and people oriented though which I also think is just as much a Trak trait as an arab one. Talk to David Beattie or some of the other trak. breeders-- I heard this that a lot of temperament issues in the past decade or so came from one very famous jumping sire who put hundreds of foals on the ground that carried that difficult temperament. The one breeder I mentioned doesnt have any on his farm because of that.
                            I've worked with a couple Trakehners, mostly dressage bred, so I don't think it's a huge myth. Of course, I don't think it's a huge problem either, I just worry about it crossed with this mare, since she already has some of those tendencies. She herself is very sweet, but her family members can be quite opinionated and touchy, and I wouldn't want to bring that out, you know?

Comment

Ditto.

Ive worked with a few hot on hot bred horses and HAD them walk on clouds occasionally lol.

If you know the lines real well and feel comfortable that they won't make a baby with a tail that wont relax whenever working LOL, then youre good!

Personally the Ferro's have always been level headed with me, and the Goodtimes horse I put above seemed to throw spitting image foals that you could climb up on out of the box without any problems out of racing mares that I hardly could hot walk. I don't remember them (the foals) ever spooking, or blowing up, but they were sharp and extremely work minded
                              ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
                              http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are "hotter" TKs that are out there, but by and large the ones that I've seen that people complain about are certain lines and/or ones that have been crossed onto blooded mares (t'bred or arab). The TKs that have been mentioned so far on this thread are NOT known for any of the "heat" or "spiceness" (sp?) that you would need to worry about. And frankly, even the "hot" or "crazy" TKs have not been so much "hot" or "crazy" in my exp but VERY VERY smart and will NOT tolerate any nonsense from their rider/handler.

With the TK you will get the athleticism as well as the blood that you are asking for. There is a reason that more and more breeders are infusing some good TK blood into their programs.
                                Emerald Acres standing the ATA, Trakehner Verband, sBs, RPSI, and ISR/OLD NA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by acottongim View Post
                                  There are "hotter" TKs that are out there, but by and large the ones that I've seen that people complain about are certain lines and/or ones that have been crossed onto blooded mares (t'bred or arab). The TKs that have been mentioned so far on this thread are NOT known for any of the "heat" or "spiceness" (sp?) that you would need to worry about. And frankly, even the "hot" or "crazy" TKs have not been so much "hot" or "crazy" in my exp but VERY VERY smart and will NOT tolerate any nonsense from their rider/handler.

With the TK you will get the athleticism as well as the blood that you are asking for. There is a reason that more and more breeders are infusing some good TK blood into their programs.
                                  Would you be so kind as to make me a list of the ones I should avoid?

My mare's not so much like it (I think mostly because she never raced/I've had her so long), but her siblings have been quite a handful on a few occasions, because they were too smart and/or opinionated for their own good. I don't mind a bit of that, but I don't want to risk bringing more of it out than she may already be predisposed to passing on.

Comment

Coppers Mom - I'm not sure where on the East you are, but you are more than welcome to come visit if you want to see offspring of Contango, O'Leary's Irish Diamond (no longer available but has sons that are), and Cielo B; in April we'll have a UB40 baby as well.

Reading your post, I really think Cielo. While his dressage aptitude wasn't high at the testing, he puts on killer movement and BOLD BOLD BOLD babies, and PRETTY!Contango might be another option. Sometimes it helps to see offspring of stallions you like, may sway you one way or the other.

Edited to add - there are other farms just down the street from me with stallions, you could make a day of it Legaczy is 5 miles from me, and there are a couple of big Hano barns, as well as Tully Cross.
                                    Celtic Pride Farm
                                    www.celticpridefarm.com
                                    Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

http://newblessingfarm.com/Stallion.php

http://www.celebration-farm.com/stallions/rubaiyat.html

http://www.woodslanefarm.com/stallions.html

http://www.tullycrossfarm.com/Stallions.html

http://somedaysoonfarm.com/pages%20new/stallions.html

There are also offspring of Windstar (ISH); Formula One (ISH); anyway, lots cramped into a semi close area.
                                      Celtic Pride Farm
                                      www.celticpridefarm.com
                                      Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

Innkeeper throws great brains, and very well rounded athletically
                                        Cornerstone Equestrian
                                        Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
                                        RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
                                        www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X