• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best Rubinstein son to cross with Wolkentanz I mare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Rubinstein son to cross with Wolkentanz I mare?

ok, now i have moved on to doing research on breeding my Wolkentanz I xtb (Sir Ivonson) mare to a WB.

I *really* like Rubenstein, and as son, Rotspon...

anyone have any input on Rotspon or any other super good Rubenstein son that would cross well with a Wolkentanz mare?

goal: dressage horse - not a large one tho (ie i would love to stay around 16h)

I have had 3 Rotspons (out of 3 different mares) - all were huge - tall & substantial.
    Eliza
    www.foxwoodhanoverians.com

Comment

Here are a few NA based Rubinstein-line stallions that are on the Oldenburg (GOV) roster.

by Rubinstein I
      Regazzoni
      Rosenthal
      Rubignon
      Rubino Belissimo
      Rubinus
      Ruffian

by Rohdiamant
      Rodioso
      Routinier
      Royal Prince

by Rotspon
      Rapture R
      Rasta

Some of these guys may be taller than want you are looking for, but there are some that are on the smallish side.

Comment

What about Riccione? Love him. Judy Yancy has his semen.

Comment

My favorite R-line stallions at the moment are Royal Prince and Blu Hors Romanov. My best mare is a Wolkentanz I from a Rohdiamant/ Freiherr dam.
          Mary Lou
          http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

Rubignon and Rubino Bellisimo are both local, you could go see them. I have met both, and seen offspring of both. One I really, really liked in person, one not so much.
            On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

Here is my Regazzoni out of D-line mare
              Rossignol

He has the absolute sweetest personality and is incredibly willing
              "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
              So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

I have seen Rascalino in person, along with Rotspon, and although I loved them both, Rascalino is now at the tippy-top of my short list of stallions I want to breed to. Royal Blend, another Rotspon son, is there as well, but I'm not sure about his frozen.
                Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

While I admire the stallions Rotspon, Rascalino, and Royal Blend, I question how strongly they stamp their offspring. I have less personal experience with Royal Blend, but I have used both Rotspon and Rascalino and have also observed many of their offspring from a variety of mares. They seemed very variable in many traits - especially size, movement and type. Rascalino does seem to stamp very strongly when it comes to temperament and personality. All that I have known have been extremely easy, kind, smart, willing to please and friendly.

I prefer a stallion that can be counted on to stamp more strongly when it comes to size, gaits and type. That is why I recommended Royal Prince and Romanov. In my experience, they both seem to be very strong as transmitters.

Also, wanted to add that I have been very impressed with the Rubino Bellissimo and Rubignon offspring that I have seen.

As always, this is just my own experience and opinion.
                  Mary Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Home Again Farm View Post
                    I prefer a stallion that can be counted on to stamp more strongly when it comes to size, gaits and type. That is why I recommended Royal Prince and Romanov. In my experience, they both seem to be very strong as transmitters.
                    I just have to say that I agree with this and with the comment about Royal Prince! I wasn't going to say it, because I am not a breeder so what the hell do I know really...but when shopping I loved all the videos I have seen of the Royal Prince offspring, and you do start to see them and KNOW they are by Royal Prince don't you? It is so strange how some stallions just stamp their offspring so much, others don't at all and they seem to be a hodge podge.

If you like the Royal Prince offspring you have a good chance of getting what you want I would think. I for one really like them as they seem to be nice all-around types which is my preference.
                    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

PP, when I as at Hilltop last year, I was struck by how easily I could pick out the RP kids and by how similar they were to my own. It really was amazing.
                      Mary Lou

Comment

I don't know much, either. But I bred my anglo-trak mare to Routinier, and I have the smartest, most trainable colt EVER. He's a joy to be around (and a really nice mover!). Of course, I bred specifically FOR that temperment. But for Ammys, his offspring ROCK.
                        --Becky in TX
                        Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
                        She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kairoshorses View Post
                          I don't know much, either. But I bred my anglo-trak mare to Routinier, and I have the smartest, most trainable colt EVER. He's a joy to be around (and a really nice mover!). Of course, I bred specifically FOR that temperment. But for Ammys, his offspring ROCK.
                          Kairoshorses, that is what the R-line is most known for IMO. Almost all the R-line stallions that I know stamp that temperament and trainability, rideability. That is why I treasure my R-line girls so much.
                          Mary Lou

Comment

If you are not totally stuck on the R line, Donnerhall is another way to go in regards to temperament. I have a yearling Dauphin filly with the best temperament and movement. I wormed her the other day in her pasture with no halter, she's such a nice filly to deal with. She is also on the small side, as Dauphin does not seem to produce tall. He would be a nice cross onto a Wolkentanz mare. Dauphin has very good scores in the Hanoverian yearbook.

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions!

we have Donnerschlag nearby, and i have always wanted to breed to him.... i get to see lots and lots of his babies... and while i love them, i am thinking now about something different for my mare

In another thread folks were talking about Rosario - so i looked him up and he is a super stallion... is he still available? comments about him for a wolkentanz mare?

also, there have been comments that some of these horses throw high knee action... comments?

oh, and here is a pictures of my mare if this helps. she is 16h beautiful, lovely head and expression, my improvements would be shorten the back/strengthen the loin connection, and then a stronger hind leg (stifle area)

would love comments, suggestions etc.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=95b741f3b4
                              Last edited by mbm; Dec. 23, 2010, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Royal Prince would definitely improve your mare's straighter hind leg. I have an 09 filly by him out of a post-legged mare, and the filly's hind leg is excellent. In fact, comments at shows were "nice hind end" and "good hind leg," and I know she didn't get that from her dam!

I have 2 mares in foal to him for next year (a Tantris and a Davignon mare), and I couldn't be more excited. He usually stamps his offspring with a beautiful head and type overall, refinement, a sloping shoulder, a correct hind end, nice gaits (particularly the walk...the trot has a lot of shoulder freedom but not a lot of knee [depends on the mare, I think]), and an easy-going, social personality. This has been my observation, anyway. I don't know that he would shorten your mare's back, though.

Bugatti Hilltop sounds like a good match for your mare, as well. He is Bergamon - Rubinstein - Donnerhall.
                                Kim
                                'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

I like Royal Prince too, and have used him. I do think he sometimes throws more "hunter type" movement. Doesn't usually add size.
                                  If you are going dressage, some of the other R-line stallions seem great suggestions. Regazzoni has a wonderful, powerful hind end, more compact frame (good connection) and "10" temperament and rideability. Plus the lovely "R" head. He doesn't add size. His sons (eg Riccione) and daughters are a good testament.
                                  Rubino Belissimo and Rubignon should also give what you want, without adding size.
                                  Last edited by Sunnydays; Dec. 23, 2010, 10:05 AM.
                                  Sunny Days Hanoverians
                                  http://www.sunnydayshanoverians.com

Comment

I bred my Warkant/Absatz line mare to Blue Hors Romanov and got a lovely colt, however he is going to be a tall boy with big bone. I don't think you will get a 16 hander with BHR. That being said, he does stamp them with lovely movement, excellent canters (he greatly improved the canter on my colt from the mares), and the temperament is easy, friendly, sociable. This colt came out super sweet and never had a devil streak to him.
                                    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Comment

Originally posted by honeychile View Post
                                      I bred my Warkant/Absatz line mare to Blue Hors Romanov and got a lovely colt, however he is going to be a tall boy with big bone. I don't think you will get a 16 hander with BHR. That being said, he does stamp them with lovely movement, excellent canters (he greatly improved the canter on my colt from the mares), and the temperament is easy, friendly, sociable. This colt came out super sweet and never had a devil streak to him.
                                      IMHO, Romanov and Royal Prince are 2 of the best R line stallions in terms of siring consistent offspring. I think that Romanov will give you a lot of movement, with a tendency to knee action. Some Romanov's tend to be more on the bigger boned side from some mares.

Most Royal Prince's do not have knee action, but are really free in the shoulder and have really great walks. Having seen Royal Prince a lot in person while my mare was in training at Hilltop, my observations were that he does not have knee action, but wowzas, when you ask him to extend his trot, it is AMAZING the freedom of shoulder he has. His walk is to die for and is very "safe" despite being so big. His canter is good as well. Overall, he is a really nice riding horse. I do think that you need a mare with pretty good bone to breed to Prince because he tends to lighten up the bone a bit. Also a more uphill mare is a better cross to him.

Edited to add: I thought about a few mares that are R- and W- line crosses. One is half sister to a mare I owned (whose daughter is now in foal to RP)

RP - Weltmeyer (the half sister to my mare)
                                      http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/list...gs/l0055.shtml

RP - Wallstreet Kid (Warkant)
                                      http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/list...gs/l0058.shtml

RP - Wolkentanz II (scroll down to see dam Wolkenshow and RP daughter Royal Elegance)
                                      http://dogwoodsporthorses.com/mares.htm
                                      Last edited by Edgewood; Dec. 23, 2010, 10:42 AM. Reason: added links for W- line to RP crosses
                                      Kris
                                      www.edgewoodmeadowfarm.com
                                      Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/edgewoodmeadowfarm

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewood View Post
                                        IMHO, Romanov and Royal Prince are 2 of the best R line stallions in terms of siring consistent offspring. I think that Romanov will give you a lot of movement, with a tendency to knee action. Some Romanov's tend to be more on the bigger boned side from some mares.

Most Royal Prince's do not have knee action, but are really free in the shoulder and have really great walks. Having seen Royal Prince a lot in person while my mare was in training at Hilltop, my observations were that he does not have knee action, but wowzas, when you ask him to extend his trot, it is AMAZING the freedom of shoulder he has. His walk is to die for and is very "safe" despite being so big. His canter is good as well. Overall, he is a really nice riding horse. I do think that you need a mare with pretty good bone to breed to Prince because he tends to lighten up the bone a bit. Also a more uphill mare is a better cross to him.
                                        Edgewood said this better than I did. I agree 100% on all points.
                                        Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                                        X