• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff of Stallion test thread...performance testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff of Stallion test thread...performance testing

What are the lowest performance requirements for acceptance into a registry, PSG or 1.4 meter fences or whatever? Do they change if a stallion is considered a "speciality" horse. By that I mean....say he is only a fantastic dressage stallion but can't jump out of a wet paper bag, will he still be accepted without ever being in a jumping class...since the test requires XC, dressage and jumping.
    Last edited by paintjumper; Nov. 20, 2010, 03:56 PM. Reason: adding info

Test Alternatives from the AHS

In North America, there is also an alternative to the Stallion Performance Test. The stallion must accumulate the following show record:

in dressage: receive a score of at least 63% five (5) times under different judges in FEI Prix St. Georges or higher tests at USEF, FEI or Equine Canada recognized shows, or

in jumping: place in the top five (5) four (4) times at Level 7 or higher at USEF “A” rated shows or Equine Canada Class “1” shows, or

in eventing: place three (3) times in the top 50 percent of finishers at a USEA/USEF Intermediate or higher Horse Trials

Upon recommendation of the Committee, stallions that achieve these performance results may be accepted into the Stallion Book – provided they have also passed AHS inspection.
    www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, he is only required to do one and not all three.

Originally posted by paintjumper View Post
      What are the lowest performance requirements for acceptance into a registry, PSG or 1.4 meter fences or whatever? Do they change if a stallion is considered a "speciality" horse. By that I mean....say he is only a fantastic dressage stallion but can't jump out of a wet paper bag, will he still be accepted without ever being in a jumping class...since the test requires XC, dressage and jumping.

Comment

From ISR/Oldenburg NA
        The Lifetime Breeding License can also be achieved by obtaining a minimum of:
        • five placings first, second or third place at three different USEF recognised dressage shows in competitions Prix St. George or higher with minimum scores of 60% , under at least three different judges
        • or either five placings in jumping classes in the top three or three first places in jumping classes over jumps of at least 1,40m (4'7") in height (formerly USEF level 8) at at least three different shows sanctioned by the relevant National Federation (e.g. USEF)
        • or three placings in the top three at recognised Three-Day Events at intermediate / advanced level or higher
        Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
        Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks guys

I was curious about the performance part.

Comment

Of the stallions licensed and graded through the testing process, how many actually reach the level of performance which are required by the performance route?

A lot will not, I expect.
            http://regcorkumlive.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't think it would be that hard...Hocus

If you have an "indeed" stallion prospect....jumper, dressage, or eventing (whatever his speciality)....would be not that hard with a professional in the irons.
              It wouldn't be cheap...but then nothing with these guys is cheap For what its worth...this is the route I would go. If I'm going to show anyway...why not bring Sir Studly along. But then...I have great trainers in my area which makes all the difference.

Comment

Are there any performance alternatives for Hunter sires? What are the suggestions for a Stallion prospect aimed at the Hunters?
                Worth A Shot Farm
                Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
                Visit our Website
                Join us on Facebook
                Watch us on Youtube

Comment

I disagree.

Having spent a bit of time observing the ranks, I believe it is not easy to be at the head of the class particularly in the jumper world. There is plenty of talent and more and more all the time. We are not talking the schooling show circuit here. I have seen classes with up to 90 and 100 entries and being in the top three is quite an achievement when you are riding against the top pros in the business, who ride many horses and have a staff to help get them there. Add to that all the unforseen difficulties that can arise adds to the equation,..., remaining injury free.... in and out of the ring... and more. Those dreams and goals can vanish very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by alliekat View Post
                    Are there any performance alternatives for Hunter sires? What are the suggestions for a Stallion prospect aimed at the Hunters?
                    The only thing close to a response on this brings to mind what Masu Hamacher told me regarding Robin Hood when he was approved based on performance for one of the registry's hunter book.

He had success competing eventing and then later in jumpers, but was approved as a hunter sire. I remember when she told me because at the time we thought it was funny, so who knows what requirements exist?

To my knowledge, Robin Hood had never stepped foot in a hunter ring... of course I could be wrong (as I often am) but that was my understanding of the conversation. This may raise a hair or two but I am only saying this because I was asked to help find a picture to use in an ad and he had no hunter shots to use, so we picked one with cute knees.

I think the world of Masu and hope she is doing well. I spent some very enjoyable times on her farm in Micanopy.
                    Last edited by Hocus Focus; Nov. 22, 2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Going the performance route for a dressage stallion in SoCal would be tough, given the competition. One could get the scores, but the placings of 1,2 or 3?

In some of those highly competitive classes in LA or Del Mar, it is hard to place.
                      www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

KWPN has Hunter requirements on their approval page:
                        http://kwpn-na.org/keuring/approval.php

Comment

GOV, RPSI and BWP have Hunter requirements as well. Quite tough ones to be sure!!! Top 10 in the country in a 4 ft division.
                          www.MarabetFarm.com
                          Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
                          Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Comment

Not certain about specific details....but there was some controversy over the approval of Hickstead, a situation where a stellar performance horse met with challenges regarding approval...even with his gold medal. .. and in performance, how much higher can you go?

If one argues it was due to his size, size didn't seem to hold Stroller back in his achievements. Unique examples I am aware do not necessarily prove a point.

Greatness is a rare and special thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MaggieF View Post
                              GOV, RPSI and BWP have Hunter requirements as well. Quite tough ones to be sure!!! Top 10 in the country in a 4 ft division.
                              Not correct for RPSI
                              Top 10 PERCENT in USEF rankings and the division is age specific. !st years at age 5. 2nd year at age 6 and open for older stallions.

Some of these divisions have relatively few horses competing and being in the top 10% was reasonable if you had a nice horse and picked your shows carefully. And there is prize money in these divisions.

But in the last few years the structure of the Hunter divisions has changed.
                              Points are now based on dollars won.

The Derby classes are high dollar prize money and besides the points counting for Derby section rankings they also count for the Hunter division of your choice. If you have a good Derby horse getting into the top group in your section ( maybe 5000 points) isn't all that hard.
                              But if you have a 'traditional' Hunter you have a better chance in the conformation sections because there are less entries. Maybe 100-150 horses in the country showing in regular conformation.

There are rule change proposals pending for the Hunter divisions again this year.

I doubt the registries are keeping up with current rules.
                              Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

ISR/Oldenburg NA's rule for hunters
                                Hunter stallions may receive a Lifetime Breeding License on a case by case basis if they have superior show records (e.g. won "regular" or "2nd year" National Year End Awards or Championships).
                                Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                                Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                                  ISR/Oldenburg NA's rule for hunters
                                  Great.
                                  starting in 2011 there are no more 'regular' Hunters.
                                  It's three sections of Performance Hunters.

I suspect each registry will need to be contacted to remind them there are changes.
                                  Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

Originally posted by PineTreeFarm View Post
                                    Not correct for RPSI
                                    Top 10 PERCENT in USEF rankings and the division is age specific. !st years at age 5. 2nd year at age 6 and open for older stallions.

Some of these divisions have relatively few horses competing and being in the top 10% was reasonable if you had a nice horse and picked your shows carefully. And there is prize money in these divisions.

But in the last few years the structure of the Hunter divisions has changed.
                                    Points are now based on dollars won.

The Derby classes are high dollar prize money and besides the points counting for Derby section rankings they also count for the Hunter division of your choice. If you have a good Derby horse getting into the top group in your section ( maybe 5000 points) isn't all that hard.
                                    But if you have a 'traditional' Hunter you have a better chance in the conformation sections because there are less entries. Maybe 100-150 horses in the country showing in regular conformation.

There are rule change proposals pending for the Hunter divisions again this year.

I doubt the registries are keeping up with current rules.
                                    Yes you are correct! Sorry my percent key is not working and I didn't realize it. Also was generalizing a bit as it was just a short answer.
                                    www.MarabetFarm.com
                                    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
                                    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding

Comment

If you have an "indeed" stallion prospect....jumper, dressage, or eventing (whatever his speciality)....would be not that hard with a professional in the irons.
                                      I heard that a lot over the years however most still do not have a licensed and approved stallion. Lots happens on the way to meet the requirements but approval is often not one of them.
                                      www.immunallusa.com
                                      www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Comment

Originally posted by Edgar View Post
                                        I heard that a lot over the years however most still do not have a licensed and approved stallion. Lots happens on the way to meet the requirements but approval is often not one of them.
                                        Agreed. From a pure business standpoint the performance route does not make sense as it can be cost prohibitive (to the tune of 50K to 100K per year for showing and training with top people at big shows, depending on the discipline) and you also have to factor in lost breedings that could have been obtained had the horse been licensed at 3. Also, many stallion owners do not want to subject their horses to public scrutiny as an off day in the show ring can be ruinous to the reputation.

Also, it is one thing to buy and show a PSG horse and quite another to develop one from scratch. No so easily done, even with the very best pros - in our area.
                                        Roseknoll Sporthorses
                                        www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Working...
                                        X