• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How many days/week to work 3 year old?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many days/week to work 3 year old?

I've just started my first 3 year old (well, a couple months ago), and I'm not sure how much work is enough versus too much. He really enjoys the attention, and seems to look forward to our sessions (both the ground work and under saddle).

By "work", I don't mean turned loose in the round pen or lunging arena to get the kinks out and play. I mean a training session where you are giving directions (either from the ground or under saddle) and they are paying attention to you and responding to your aids.

I've heard the saying 3 days at 3 years old, 4 days at 4 years old, etc.; but does that just mean under saddle work or any type of work?

What do you do, and how do you decide?
    SherryM
    WildSwan Hanoverians

I usually school mine 2-4 days and a day or two off. It just depends on the work and how much we did and if he/she seems a bit tired. At this point, it's as much mental as physical. I just like for the youngsters to stay fresh and interested and try to keep it simple and fairly short while also moving forward and increasing the time they are in work. So it's a "seat of the pants" thing, but I listen to them for the most part and try to tailor it to fit their needs.
    PennyG

Comment

3-4 and it depends.
      "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

my 3 yos get 2-3 days on and then 2-3 days off. It seems like layering the lessons on top of one another seems to make more sense to them and then they get a complete physical break. I also work 15/30 minutes and then walk if I want to extend it out. I do not lunge first but for a few minutes.

Alot of times when they are first started, I might get 10 great minutes from them and then put them away.

I started running at 32, I lost 30 lbs and for the first time in my life got fit. I think if more riders understood fitness it would make more sense when training a horse. I know how I can feel after long runs, hilly runs, and how you get stronger on rest and recovery....not always work. SO I am very in tune with the physical side of it.

Comment

I've generally "worked" my youngsters as many days as I can reasonably make it out to the barn in a week, sometimes even twice a day, but only for very short periods of time.
          "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
          -Edward Hoagland

Comment

My 3-yr-old has been at the trainer's for 60 days and will stay another 30-45 days. She gets worked 5 days a week but "work" means w/t/c either out on the trail/in a big field or in the arena. At first, it was all outside of the arena but now they try to do 2 or 3 sessions a week in the arena and 2 or 3 sessions out of the arena. Nothing strenuous or too demanding. But, she is learning she has a job and needs to go to work and not screw around.

She is a very smart, alpha mare personality and needs the consistent work right now. She had an attitude at first and still has a little bit of one. And that attitude is worse when she has had a few days off. So, for her, more work days is better.

Since I have 3 other horses to ride, when she comes home, it will be more like 3 or 4 days a week and I just hope that is enough to keep her behaving herself - LOL!

Comment

My trainer rode my girl when she was three five to six days a week; however, they were very short rides, about 20 minutes or so. He varied what he did with her and did a lot of riding out around the property and not just in the arena. He preferred to work with her a little each day for short periods since her attention span was about the size of a gnat. When fall came, she was put back out with the other youngsters until the spring of her 4 y.o. year.

Comment

Mine is nearing 3 1/2. I ride 2 - 4 days a week, usually two days on, two days off etc.

I try to keep the rides fun. We do very little work in the arena, I warm up and cool down on the trails and out riding in the fields. We "work" for maybe 20 mins at a time in the arena. But at this point I like riding her out and getting her nice and forward and happy. We mostly walk / trot. I can tell her strength has built over the last few months and we are now adding a bit of canter.

-oh, and unless you have a HUGE arena, I like riding out (if you can!) as I can ride in BIG circles and large figures which is easier for my young horse.
                APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I also work my 3 year old about 3 days a week. She is pretty immature, so I just do walk and trot, and a lot of walking around the property and in fields.
                  Kim
                  'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

I work mine 4 days in a row, then 3 days off. One day is hacking, 1 "dressage" in a ring, 1 day poles or 18" jumps and the last is hacking in a field or a lesson. I ride usually 20 min or less with no lungeing. If she is really good, then I get off earlier
                    http://www.cngsporthorses.com

Comment

We pretty much do as others have said but it really depends on the individual. I had one very strong 3yo that was naughty a couple years ago and she needed work every day or else you paid for it. Not worked for a long time but to learn to focus and pay attention. Not all was done on her back but everyday she had a short lesson. This year's 3yos were almost born broke, very laid back. They get ridden 3 to 4 times a week and again, short lessons. I try to switch it up and sometimes do just flat work and sometimes over little X's but something not to make it always the same. I also have different people ride them so they get use to others. I had a situation (filly above) that I was the only one that rode her (I think she was way too intimidating for many others and I have to admit there were days when the wind blew a certain way that she really could intimidate me), anyway when someone else would ride her she would really test them. I made the decision after that to have as many "good" riders as possible get on the babies so that they know to listen to all people. I wish I had a farm that I could easily just hack out, that would be ideal. Oh and I want an indoor too, lol.
                      www.lazyjsporthorses.com

Comment

Working...
                      X