Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Class of 2018 - A New Thread For Our Two-Year-Olds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class of 2018 - A New Thread For Our Two-Year-Olds

As promised, here's a new thread to celebrate/commiserate our journey through the two-year-old year with our 2018 "babies". Sydney (TCR Accidentaly Dunit) is facing many new challenges, right alongside me, in 2020. I accepted a new position back home in Tennessee over the holidays. I've entered a contract on a 9.5 acre "farmette" and have also decided to purchase Sydney's dam, bred back for a 2021 full sibling. An old friend will be picking Syndey up tomorrow to haul her back to TN and teach her about "real life" horse society while I'm dealing with moving arrangements, painting, fencing, etc.

This filly amazes me in her lack of truly awkward growth stages. While she may sometimes look less balanced than at other times, she has never hit a truly terrible "hide her behind the barn" phase. And she continues to have THE BEST mind EVER. I hope that her soon-to-be full sibling is half as spectacular as my little princess has turned out. (Reminder: Syndey is bred to be a reining/ranch riding prospect, not a dressage horse, hunter, jumper, or eventer, so her tiny stature is perfectly suitable for my purposes). But, if the neck fairy wanted to visit my place in the next couple of weeks, I'd be okay with that...

EventerAJ and others, how are those soon-to-be not-so-baby horses doing?

A very pretty princess indeed. Enjoy your many adventures together. Congrats and good luck with the new job.

Comment

I did a photo shoot a month ago with Miso and his sire. Some of the most difficult 10 minutes of my life, lol... trying to get two horses standing profile, in a non-donkey stance, with ears and attention, without biting each other, squealing, nipping, or generally being boys. Oh, and not blinking or mouth-gaping or looking like an idiot. Next time (if there ever IS a next time), I will enlist more help than just me and the photographer!
      A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Very timely, I just (with difficulty) got some shots of my almost two-year-old Connemara Pony! This is Henry:

200209_2610 by Wendy, on Flickr

200209_5103 by Wendy, on Flickr

They had been kept in for a couple of days of never-ending rain and standing still was not high on his agenda. Luckily screen grabs from a video are "good enough" for sharing on social media.

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/cady+odaly+henry
        --
        Wendy
        ... with Patrick and Henry

Comment

Original Poster

With all the craziness of a new job, moving, tornadoes, pandemics, and my father's death this spring, I've been remiss in updating this thread. I can't believe we're almost halfway through the year! Here's an updated photo of the palomino princess, after her first bath of the spring yesterday. It's going to take me months to get her tail back to white after a winter/spring of benign neglect. She's finally starting to get the proportions of an adult, though she's still tiny (just under 13.1 at the withers, 13.2 1/2 at the hip).

Click image for larger version

Name:	May Confo.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	10642106

How are the rest of our "babies" doing? Any big updates? I know no one's been able to get out and about much.

Comment

Miso is doing great. Hacks out in the woods once or twice a week. He loves having a job, but it's getting hot and he doesn't *need* to do anything now so he's low on the list of priorities (week off here and there).

Two weeks ago we went on a field trip with a friend, to trail ride at a local nature preserve. He loaded fine on her trailer, and was pretty relaxed away from home. He was incredibly mature out on the trail, happy to lead or follow, never spooky or tense. I felt like I was on a 4 or 5 year old, really! (Or his dad!) Before anyone freaks out, his "work" is mostly walking on a long rein with less than ten minutes of trotting, and maybe a short canter each way once a month.

I haven't measured him since February, but he's probably a hair over 16h.
            ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Original Poster

That's awesome, EventerAJ! I've just begun starting Sydney under saddle (four rides pre-quarantine and one last week). So far we've done about 10 minutes of walk/jog/whoa, and last week we loped a little bit one way for the first time. She's been a little gem, mostly, though she is not fully convinced yet that stopping to roll when she gets hot and itchy is NOT an option with a rider on board. Since the first time she tried that little number (and caught me off guard), she hasn't gotten away with it again, luckily. I mean, if she has to pick an evasion, it's certainly less dangerous and a lot easier to fix than bucking, bolting, rearing, or spooking. Lol. She's a smart cookie, this one.

I'll be bringing her home from her current boarding barn in a few weeks and hope that I have her solid enough to hack around the pasture by that point. We'll hopefully hit some easy trails this summer, too, and save the real "work" for next year.

Comment

I just recently acquired a 2018 warmblood gelding. He is bred to jump with both sire and dam having competed in 1.40m plus. He is very immature looking for his age and apparently was chased off some of his feed so came out of winter a little rough but is steadily improving. Please excuse the long hind feet, those will be dealt with in the next couple of weeks: first farrier visit a few days after he arrived he was having no part of having his hind feet trimmed so the decision was made it would be better to work with him over the next 6 weeks and try again rather than forcing the issue and risking injury.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

With how immature he is I am not planning on starting him under saddle till next spring. If all goes well he will work through till fall maybe attending a small dressage schooling show sometime in the summer for experience. He will then get turned out for a few months in the winter and then brought in as a 4 year old to be started back and started over fences.

Comment

Original Poster

He's very cute, adelmo95! I love his sweet expression.

Comment

Original Poster

I have a very not happy update to this thread. My beautiful Sydney presented with a very swollen left hock and mild (1.5-2) lameness on Sunday when I went out to visit her for the first time in about a week and a half. I had a vet out on Tuesday afternoon for an exam and radiographs. They're ugly - very ugly. Initially, he thought we were looking at OCD lesions, so we radiographed the right hock, too, and it looked even worse than the left. After a consult with a surgeon, it was determined that she has juvenile osteoarthritis, not OCD (which actually would have been a "better" diagnosis, sadly). Right now, she's on stall rest/Banamine/Surpass/icing to get the swelling down. On the 30th, she's scheduled for Pro-Stride injections in both hocks. And then a lifetime of aggressive maintenance. The surgeon did not sound optimistic about her long-term soundness, especially given that she's bred to be a reiner/working cowhorse.

I'm heartbroken. If nothing else, she'll be the world's most beautiful, pampered trail horse. But she's SUCH a talented filly. Why do these things only happen to the really nice ones? And we won't even talk about the angst I now feel about the full sibling I have coming in 2021...

I guess the upside to choosing to start her at 2 instead of 3 is that we caught this a year earlier than we probably would have otherwise and can get a jump start on treating/managing her appropriately. Makes me want to start routinely x-raying yearlings the way the TB sales people do, I swear. Sigh.

Edited to add: I am SO VERY GLAD I have major medical insurance on her. This year's premium may be the best money I've ever "invested" in a horse.
                    Last edited by Montanas_Girl; Jun. 18, 2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

So sorry to hear, Montanas_Girl. There is so much that can go wrong from breeding to age 4 it's a wonder we have any horses left to ride at all. Hopefully catching it early you can manage it as best possible. I feel heartbroken for you, after following along with your journey. I hope your 2021 foal is able to reach its potential. Is the vet convinced it is likely genetic, or just terrible bad luck?

I haven't taken xrays on Miso yet (no real reason to) but taking a TB yearling sales set is never a bad idea. If/when he get close to going to the track Jan 2021, I'll definitely shoot some films to make sure he is 100% clean before breezing.
                      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by EventerAJ View Post
                        So sorry to hear, Montanas_Girl. There is so much that can go wrong from breeding to age 4 it's a wonder we have any horses left to ride at all. Hopefully catching it early you can manage it as best possible. I feel heartbroken for you, after following along with your journey. I hope your 2021 foal is able to reach its potential. Is the vet convinced it is likely genetic, or just terrible bad luck?
                        z

Thank you. At least she's super quiet, so the stall rest is going better than it would with most two-year-olds. The vet is certain that this is genetic/congenital in nature. Her older full brother and half brother are both, as far as anyone knows, perfectly fine (and the full brother has been showing extensively for years, so I feel like something would have cropped up by now if it were going to). So I guess I just lost the genetic roll of the dice. Sigh. I'll be obsessively micromanaging the dam's nutrition and health care during this pregnancy for sure, to hedge my bets.
                        Last edited by Montanas_Girl; Jun. 19, 2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear this. That's a very sad prognosis. Well done with the insurance though.

Is this Arab/Quarter Horse cross that you purchased in utero, or am I thinking of a different horse?
                          My memory is less than stellar.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by skydy View Post
                            I'm so sorry to hear this. That's a very sad prognosis. Well done with the insurance though.

Is this Arab/Quarter Horse cross that you purchased in utero, or am I thinking of a different horse?
                            My memory is less than stellar.

Yes, you're remembering correctly. After waiting so long for her, going through the drama of her dam getting badly injured during the last trimester, her crazy unidentified fever just after weaning, and two sets of facial sutures in the first year, I finally get her to riding age, and now this...She's such a fantastic, sweet, smart, beautiful, athletic little thing that I recently bought her dam, who is bred back for a 2021 full sibling and will be shipping here in just a few weeks.

I'm on one heck of an emotional roller coaster right now! And that's not counting the fact that since mid-February I have started a new job, moved 600 miles, bought my own little mini-farm, been missed by an EF-4 tornado by about 7 miles, AND lost my father - all in the midst of a global pandemic. I don't know how much stress the human body can withstand in such a short period, but I must be approaching the limit at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Montanas_Girl View Post

Yes, you're remembering correctly. After waiting so long for her, going through the drama of her dam getting badly injured during the last trimester, her crazy unidentified fever just after weaning, and two sets of facial sutures in the first year, I finally get her to riding age, and now this...She's such a fantastic, sweet, smart, beautiful, athletic little thing that I recently bought her dam, who is bred back for a 2021 full sibling and will be shipping here in just a few weeks.

I'm on one heck of an emotional roller coaster right now! And that's not counting the fact that since mid-February I have started a new job, moved 600 miles, bought my own little mini-farm, been missed by an EF-4 tornado by about 7 miles, AND lost my father - all in the midst of a global pandemic. I don't know how much stress the human body can withstand in such a short period, but I must be approaching the limit at this point.
                              I'm so sorry. Sometimes it seems like whatever can go wrong does. Many of us have been through those times and sometimes they last for years. My father is very ill now. I'll lose him soon.

When troubles begin to overwhelm me I've found that the only way of keeping myself sane is, strangely enough, to "count my blessings".

When I think of losing my father I try to remember how lucky I am to have had a good father. So many people have never had a Dad that loved them.

When I've had to put a horse down, I try to remember how lucky I was to have them. So many people never have the experience of owning and riding such beautiful creatures.

When so many things go wrong at once it's easy to feel sorry for yourself. My greatest success in overcoming that feeling is to know that in many ways I have had a better life than so many others and then, I am ashamed of myself for feeling that life is not being kind to me.

It's not that your grief and stress are not valid, of course they are, and it hurts. It is just that I've found that, when I really think about it, I was lucky that I had those things to lose.

Hang in there.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you for those beautiful words, skydy. That's a wonderful perspective to have.

Sydney came home today. My pasture still isn't fenced, but that's less of a problem at the moment. She and a friend's senior gelding are hanging out in temporary pens I set up in the shadier/flatter portion of what will eventually be my sacrifice area for now. The fence on this portion should get finished Monday, and then I'll turn the gelding out and expand Sydney's pen, assuming she stays quiet. I'm happy to have her home, even if it is bittersweet. She thinks this is a HUGE step up from stall rest; at least there's grass...
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	June Home.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	10674488

Comment

Happy to hear things are progressing. It looks like a nice day at your new digs.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you! It was a very pretty, if very HOT, day here. Supposed to rain/storm a bit for the next few days. That better not mess up my fencing plans, as I don't really have a Plan B at this point!

Comment

How goes the fence building? Sometimes a little moisture is helpful if you are putting posts in.

I hope your filly is doing well.

Comment

Original Poster

Still no fence. Posts have been up for a week. Today it took an entire day (?!?) to brace the corners. Actual fencing better start happening soon or I'm going to lose my mind. Sigh. I think the thing I hate most about being single is having to hire someone else to do jobs that I could do myself if I just had another set of capable hands around. I had to relent and let Sydney into a larger, shared pen with her babysitter. She was having none of being separated, even with Reserpine (day 5). She's content to hangout with him, so I figure it's the lesser of two evils.

Comment

Working...
                                        X