Sport Horse Spotlight

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naming Conventions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming Conventions?

If you don't want to follow the naming convention of the breed organization(s) for which your foal is eligible, will they refuse to register it? If so, then bro you still get some evidence of its bloodlines?

Best bet is to check with the specific breed organization. Who knows, it may vary.

Comment

I think it depend on whether it is just "naming convention", or written into the rules.
      Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

• Original Poster

Foal can be registered in two different registries, both have naming "rules" not conventions. So I guess my foal won't be registered unless I want to follow their rules, just microchipped (by me).

Comment

Name it one thing for registration, call it something different for shows and at home (unless you're doing breed shows for one of the breeds that requires you to use the registered name, but I can't think of any of those that have very restrictive naming rules). IMO seems kind of drastic to not register over this.
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Cowgirl View Post
            Foal can be registered in two different registries, both have naming "rules" not conventions. So I guess my foal won't be registered unless I want to follow their rules, just microchipped (by me).
            One generally can’t join a group/club/organization unless one follows the rules, yes.

Realistically there are any number of examples of animals (or people, even), going by different names under different circumstances. A typical OTTB often has three, the JC name, a show name, and a barn name. Given that being registered vs not can make a big difference in value for most horses, which in turn can have a protective effect against nefarious fate to some extent, the name thing seems an odd hill to die on.

Comment

Is the foal going to be a gelding?

Do you want to show for a specific breed's performance points?
              The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

What are the rules you must abide to?

What was the name you had in mind?

Sometime it’s just a question of adding a few letters.
                ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Working...
                X