Sport Horse Spotlight

IMG_6002

Real Estate Spotlight

100_7261

Sale Spotlight

index
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

ISO a boring FEI prospect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO a boring FEI prospect

I’m considering buying a foal either in spring 2020 or 2021. I’m a serious amateur. I brought my current mare from green and mildly feral to schooling 4th level and standing nicely for the vet. We’re still PSG-bound before she retires if I have my way.

I’ve been doing a deep dive into bloodlines and prices on the internet and not seeing a lot of what I want. I want something smaller, packageable, “boring” but super clean gates and a quick hock that can bear a load. I want a really boring/unflashy FEI prospect that I can chase my dream of scoring in the mid/low 60s at GP 😂.

What I think I want is a crossbred. I’d like a warmblood x arab, or Connemara, or a PRE (cross or purebred), or something similar. I want to keep in the 15’2-16’1 range. I can handle some spice if it’s not too too athletic. I’ve just sat on too many warmbloods that my sore back can’t keep up with on cold days, that I spend my whole ride trying to put together etc.

I’d also like to stay around/under 7k usd/10k cdn.

There don't seem to be many Connemara or arab breeding programs that are breeding for sport. Does the great horse hive mind have any suggestions? Because I'm considering foals at mama’s side I’d prefer to find a program with enough of a track record to get some predictability, but I’ll go kick the virtual tires of whatever you point me to. (Please no Friesian crosses). A full warmblood would be absolutely fine if it ticked all of the boxes, but mostly I’ve found fancier, bigger and more expensive than what I need.

I’m in Ontario but will consider anything on the east coast/Midwest (I have a lot of frequent flyer pts so maybe even west coast since I’m looking for a unicorn).

Any suggestions welcome. Yes I have considered breeding my mare and decided not to do a first breeding at her age. Yes I’m a little sad about it.
    TIA.

Consider also looking at Warmblood x Welsh crosses. That being said, I don’t know how well a “boring” horse will do at FEI dressage. If you have dreams of scoring well at Grand Prix, you will need to look for a horse with some flare. With your budget, you may end up having to search for a weanling or pony type cross as those prices will fall more within your budget.
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
    Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
    www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

I recently sold my young Hanoverian by Pik L out of a mare by Worldly- I’d known her since she was born and from the get-go she practically screamed “competitive prospect perfect for an amateur!” I’ve heard her breeding is like that
      I sold her to downsize, and ended up with a PB connemara. If you are on FB definitely start joining some of the connemara groups! I found so many small breeders that way, and it definitely is true that a lot of them are word of mouth & don’t advertise much. Lisa Martin Gerdes stands R Blue Moon and her name sticks out as one with a lot of nice sporty connemara crosses from what I’ve seen on FB.

Comment

As for a Connemara breeding program with credentials in the dressage world, take a look at Kynynmont Connemaras. For example, https://www.facebook.com/kynfarm/.

Comment

Lots of Connemaras are bred for sport! As mentioned above check out Lisa Martin Gerdes (Red Bud Ranch) and Kynynmont Connemaras. I love the *Gunsmoke decedents and have 2 full siblings by his son WH Topgun. The warmblood crosses are very popular as well.

My suggestion is to reach out to a breeder or two and let them know what you are looking for, if they don't have it they may know someone who does.

LetItBe
          Crayola Posse: Violet Blue

Comment

• Original Poster

I’m not looking to score well at GP. I’m not heading to Florida for winters, I have no aspirations other than riding well and having fun. I’d be tickled to get down centreline at GP, but I also understand that there’s a lot more to getting there than a fancy horse. I’m fine with a 6.5 mover so long as it can sit on its butt.

My current mare really struggles with collection. There was no flying chance until the canter was properly collected, and the 4th level 1/4 pirouette is not a breeze for her. I don’t think she’ll be able to piaffe/passage. This isn’t to crap on her. She’s far surpassed my physical expectations of her and if I had my time back I would have bred her to something more athletic.

I love the kynynmont connemaras, but when I’ve looked online it’s been hard to get info about their breeding program. I’m totally open to doing a custom breeding/breeding lease etc. I’ll take another look and maybe reach out to them.

Thanks all.

Comment

Fred Connemara cross to show off?
              "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

"I love the kynynmont connemaras, but when I’ve looked online it’s been hard to get info about their breeding program. I’m totally open to doing a custom breeding/breeding lease etc. I’ll take another look and maybe reach out to them."

Yes, give Pam a call. Her breeding program is consistent and considered. She has classic American lines as well as the best of the newer import lines. I expect she will be happy to discuss it with you. Connemara breeders love to talk bloodlines and ponies!

Check ACPS.org for other possibilities and perhaps give Marynell a call at Ridgetop Connemaras. She usually knows everything because she's the registrar for ACPS and publishes the magazine too!

Comment

Pm'd, I know one on east coast. Not mine but I know the horse well
                  The stories of the T-Rex Eventer

Big Head, Little Arms, Still Not Thinking It Through

Comment

I started looking this spring for a young WB/TB cross to replace my current cross and ran into the same issue with very few part-WB young horses being advertised. I had the exact same requirements as you - I don't need something super fancy but want conformation that leads to FEI potential and a good brain. My current horse was schooling all the GP until he got hurt (several times...) and progressed way beyond what we ever though possible. I just needed pretty much the exact same horse again, but younger (although a slightly better canter, better set neck, and hopefully less spooky).

I ended up finding a 2 year old full Hanoverian in southern Ontario that was in budget (which was a similar budget to yours). The breeder had a 2 year old pony (maybe RPSI?) for sale as well as a few yearlings and her 2019 foals. Let me know if you want the breeder's info.

Comment

If I were you, I'd join the "DRESSAGE BREEDERS GROUP" on Facebook.

It is not a for-sale group, but it is a group where people share pictures/updates of their young horses/yearlings, ask questions about stallions, and look for breeding advice and some-such.

I see tons of breeders comment with videos and pictures of their young horses, many of which are for sale.

It's a good way to see what is being bred out there, and there's not much a shortage that I've seen, of part-WB yearlings on it. There's a discussion posted last week that's still hopping with comments, about breeders who use TBs in their breeding program. A lot of the posted yearlings are really nice, and exactly what I think of when I think of basic, correct gaits and trainable. There were a couple TB x R-line WBs that really caught my eye.
                      AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

There is a site you might want to check out:http://www.dressageiberians.com There are a number of current foals and the person who puts this site together is in Ocala. Some say mid teens but they are two years old. Worth a conversation with him/her if you are at all interested in a PRE or Lusitano. They will get you good capability to sit, size within your parameters, a spark and they are smart, sensitive horses.
                        I've had my Lusitano for 4 years and will never go back to a WB.

Comment

While I would be all too happy to breed you a lovely and athletic Half Arab-Oldenburg cross in 2021 from one of my Ramiro granddaughters, you might also want to look at oversized GRPs and GRP crosses....we are getting nice ones in the Ottawa area and some carry very interesting Warmblood lines....

Comment

I'm leaning towards thinking you may think that boring is ok, but to go up the levels - say past 4th - the competition gets fiercer and unless you want to be trailing badly, after all the expense, time and angst of raising your own, you will need to find a very good mover, one that stands out. Not size, but movement and presence and ability to carry itself.

As you progress up the levels, the judges get more discening, too. While lower level judges do a good job, there comes a time when the dame few judges get almost boring.
                            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Not all warmbloods are hard to sit. I have a Connemara cross with a super bouncy trot, and then I have my homebred Oldenburg mare who has very pretty movement but is easy to sit. She’s Pik L on one side and Devon Heir on the other, great brain. She’s also much quieter than the Connemara, who’s a fabulous jumper but doesn’t love dressage. I love Connemaras but they can be on the spicy side.

Comment

I'll just throw this out there.....consider a QH.

People tend to have just one image in their mind of what a QH is, but they come in a lot of different types. So you don't want a downhill, long backed, pleasure/hunter bred horse, nor a halter-bred horse. You want specifically a cow-bred working QH. This includes cutting/cow horse/reining/roping bloodlines - they're usually at least balanced if not uphill, they're designed to be able to crouch behind and lift, and with their mind and heart to fill the gap, you're likely to get more bang for your buck. Those pleasure-type horses are bred to move flat and just can't collect the way you want them to....but the cow horses can.

I have an FEI QH at home -- we're getting ready to go Grand Prix for realsies (currently doing it at schooling shows), he has scored into the upper 60s with me at PSG and I-1, and I could name you a dozen other QHs that are going FEI or have gotten to FEI recently and doing respectably well. Having one with a good mind will get you a long way.

On the AQHA dressage facebook group, there was a QH in Canada killing it at Third and in the comments she seemed to indicate he might be for sale. Who's to say you couldn't get a horse like that for the budget you have, and go on with it?

Just a thought for you to consider, good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeAmbition View Post
                                  I’m not looking to score well at GP. I’m not heading to Florida for winters, I have no aspirations other than riding well and having fun. I’d be tickled to get down centreline at GP, but I also understand that there’s a lot more to getting there than a fancy horse. I’m fine with a 6.5 mover so long as it can sit on its butt.

My current mare really struggles with collection. There was no flying chance until the canter was properly collected, and the 4th level 1/4 pirouette is not a breeze for her. I don’t think she’ll be able to piaffe/passage. This isn’t to crap on her. She’s far surpassed my physical expectations of her and if I had my time back I would have bred her to something more athletic.

I love the kynynmont connemaras, but when I’ve looked online it’s been hard to get info about their breeding program. I’m totally open to doing a custom breeding/breeding lease etc. I’ll take another look and maybe reach out to them.

Thanks all.
                                  You're in Ontario right? Tonya Cummins runs Jump 4 Joy stables and she stands Windy Isle Get Smart there. She has quite a few young ones on the ground and let me tell you, it's hard to pick which one is nicer. She is crossing them with Warmbloods, and they are stunning!

She has a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Jump4JoyTrainingCentre/ but her personal page has a lot more photos.
                                  Boss Mare Eventing Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

I am in Ontario. Thanks to all for all of the feedback. All of the comments are really fair. I do want a very good mover with tons of sit. I don’t want big gaits or any flash. I really dislike the passagey back end on a lot of the big warmbloods. I want quick and stepping under but no bells and whistles, no leg flinging, not tons of cadence in the at-liberty trot.

My current girl is a Canadian, who is a bit straight behind. She has tons of hind end if the goal is to propel forward but a hard time sitting. The changes didn’t even think about happening until I had a really honest ability to collect the canter. That said, with a lot of work, she can coil that hind end to do PSG (according to a number of BNTs). She was backed at 6, I learned a LOT along with her, I had a baby and so 9 years later I have a 4th level horse who is 15.

I don’t want to overemphasize how much I don’t care about being competitive at the upper levels. I’m pushing 40 and I have a job and a family and a mortgage. I’d like to have a good shot at seeing the upper levels, but this horse doesn’t need to be blowing GP out of the water. We will be showing locally, and for fun. Yes, I’d rather not go out for a 55%, but if I did GO for a 62 and the bottom of the class, I’d be ecstatic.

That said, when I say boring, I’m saying I’d like something with super clean and sitting gaits that I can make look nice, vs the more “modern” movers. I get that not all warmbloods are hard to ride/sit, and not all crossbreds are easy. But since my budget is probably keeping me looking at something that I won’t be able to sit on, I’d like to stack the deck in my favour. So to be clear, I’m not married to any breed, just looking at what might get me pretty close to what I want.

As for spice, my comfort level is a bit dependent on how the spice is expressed. And frankly what I think is spicy might be dead to you, or vice versa, so probably not worth having a long debate about. I’ll always be taking a bit of a risk on that front, but I also know the limits of my ability and comfort level enough to 1) know when a horse needs to be turned over to a trainer to get me through a rough patch and 2) when I’m just flat out in over my head.

Thanks again and keep any ideas coming.

Comment

If you want a horse that can sit, I'd recommend a P.R.E. Or Lusitano. They can really sit on their hind end. On the other hand, getting a good extension can be difficult, but they have a more natural apt for movements such as piaffe and pirouettes. They are a sensitive type, but that can be a good thing. My P.R.E. Is so fine tuned and easy to ride with my body. I was working on collection yesterday and it's just so easy for him to use his hind end and lift the front. My friend is of the belief that he could canter in place, I haven't tried that ​​​​​​

Anyway, they are a nice medium size horse, generally comfy gaits, high ability to do collected movements, very intelligent/trainable and very loyal to their person. Just like 2tempe said, I'd never go back! I still ride Warmbloods, but can't wait to get back to my little Spanish horse!

Comment

I have a gelding by Dauphin who is the most trainable, easygoing, focused horse I’ve ever ridden. He is seven now and has breezed from training to third level in a little over a year. He’s doing the working pirouettes now and the harder it gets the better he is.

Aileron, the owners of Dauphin, is a Canadian stable and they often have young stock. I would have another of him in a second if I had the time to ride two.

Bonus, he is also small and super sound. Is he a 10 mover? No. He moves like his daddy, which is to say he is correct and attractive but not flashy. He pulls 8s all the time, though, and is comfortable to sit.
                                        Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                                        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Working...
                                        X