Stallion Spotlight

C-Quito1

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Help Understanding WB Predicates--Ster, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Understanding WB Predicates--Ster, etc.

I've read brief descriptions of the various predicates on the KWPN website, but am interested to learn more since I'm looking at a Ster mare, who has also earned IBOP and PROK designations.

My elementary understanding is only that ster mares are judged to have better than average conformation. The IBOP predicate is given when a mare scores high enough in a test of jumping or dressage. PROK, on the other hand, is more or less a certificate of health involving radiographs. Can anyone help me with more detail, particularly in knowing whether these predicates are as predictive of quality as they appear? Put another way, is the earning of these predicates a pretty big deal or not?

Yes, it's a big deal. In addition to the individual mare's accolades, breeding horses with predicates earns points for the breeder toward their merit status.

Comment

I see it as a mark of quality. You are basically getting another independent assessment (beyond that of your coach or trainer) supporting the probability that your horse will do what you want it to do. Genetically and functionally, all the pieces support the horse developing in that career.

Improper training (not enough or too much), can all ruin this quickly. It’s a good thing my horses don’t have career aspirations or I would have been fired as their human a long time ago!

Comment

The Ster and Keur predicates are given based on conformation and movement. The horse must be above average in both. The Ster predicate is for horses whose quality puts them in the top 30% of horses evaluated by the jury. The Keur predicate is for horses judged to be in the top 10% of the studbook for conformation and movement.

One of the things that I learned when I first went to the Netherlands to shop for a young horse is that breeders look at a horse's pedigree and count the number of horses in the pedigree that obtained predicates. A good horse is going to have a high number of predecessors in the pedigree that have predicates. I don't know if it's impossible but I was told that a colt would not be a stallion candidate out of a mare with no predicate, no matter how good the individual looked.

As a breeder, I have made sure that my horses are inspected and that they are given the opportunity to earn their predicates. It's the best guarantee of quality that I can offer a purchaser.

visit my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/HiltonHallSporthorses

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for these clarifications. It was my understanding, based on comments on this forum, that in Europe ster mares were generally kept back for breeding, and yet here she is--after having one foal. I am looking at the horse in front of me, and trying her as my personal mount, not as a broodmare, but I'm feeling pretty lucky. I never expected that a mare of this quality would be available.

Comment

The saying is, "breed the best and ride the rest." When my mare earned the Keur predicate, I knew that I should direct her toward a breeding career. She has consistently produced Premium offspring who are now earning predicates. She has for this reason now earned the Preferent predicate, a more rare honor. In the Netherlands, this predicate is highly valued, in North America, less so but breeding stock tend to be less valued here over all.
            visit my Facebook page: www.facebook.com/HiltonHallSporthorses

Comment

Working...
            X