Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Chestnut foal 4 white feet, don’t see clear socks.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnut foal 4 white feet, don’t see clear socks.

Our keeper foal was born Monday and we are so in love. When he came out it looked like he had one tall white sock, but by the next day it had disappeared. He’s my first chestnut foal, I know that the socks are clearly defined and not hard to see, but he has 4 white feet. Maybe he just has little anklets that I can’t see because his foal coat is so light on his legs? Or do their feet ever darken? Our bays foals always had dark hoof below a dark coat. The mare and stallion typically pass on a lot of white. In some light I swear I see ankle whites, but in some light it looks like just foal coat all the way down. It doesn’t matter, I have years of experience scrubbing white socks, just curious. Some people look at him and swear he has 4 white legs and some say he has none. The vet said there must be some white on each leg because of his feet but wasn’t sure exactly where lol. Lots of pics on my fb page.
    Trinity Farm LLC
    Quality hunters and jumpers at Midwest prices
    Like us on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/TrinityFarmLLC

I look at the pics and see white socks, ending below the fetlock.

I also see an an awesome little dude, so much air time!
    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Just checked the photos on my fridge. My liver chestnut/no white mare was born with white hooves and they now are dark with a bit of light vertical striping. Her body, legs and feet looked very much like yours early on - her coat and feet darkened over a period of years. Her brother had socks and they looked quite distinct from the moment he was born.

Comment

It can be REALLY hard to see white leg markings on a lot of newborn chestnut foals because their leg hair is so light. It's complicated by the fact that chestnut skin (on foals staying chestnut, not graying) is pretty light, and it takes a few days to darken up.

The taller the white, the easier it usually is to distinguish it. Given that it's very hard to tell what's what and what's baby "white" in the pics, I'd say at best you've got some low whites.

The best thing will be after a few days to a week, once the skin has darkened, wet the legs and see where the pink skin is.

Even white or mostly white feet aren't necessarily a good indicator, as you can have just the coronet band be white, or sometimes not even that, just a single layer of white-producing cells at the coronet.

Comment

Adorable.

No socks.

​​​​​​

Comment

Not going to weigh in on socks or lack thereof, but his face marking is adorable!

Comment

We had a chestnut foal born earlier this year. He clearly had two stockings behind. One of his front hooves was dark, the other was light. I thought he must have a small sock on that leg that I just couldn't see yet. But now that he is 4 months old, it's clear that there is no sock and the hoof has darkened.

Your colt looks great to me, but I don't see any socks.

www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

• Original Poster

I don’t see socks either. I wet the legs but similar to his mom’s there is lighter skin and darker skin, and not in clearly defined spots. I have a white mare and when I wet her legs, I can clearly see where her socks were, her skin is pink even though the hair is the exact same color all over her body. This foal’s dam has three tall white socks and an anklet and her socks look nothing like my white mare’s socks when wet (although I never noticed until now). I am just hoping to not have 4 white hooves and chestnut legs but since I’ve never seen one like that I’m going to assume his hooves will darken although the vet said they were probably going to stay white. Time will tell! Thank you!
                Trinity Farm LLC
                Like us on Facebook:

Comment

Originally posted by Justice View Post
                  I don’t see socks either. I wet the legs but similar to his mom’s there is lighter skin and darker skin, and not in clearly defined spots. I have a white mare and when I wet her legs, I can clearly see where her socks were, her skin is pink even though the hair is the exact same color all over her body. This foal’s dam has three tall white socks and an anklet and her socks look nothing like my white mare’s socks when wet (although I never noticed until now). I am just hoping to not have 4 white hooves and chestnut legs but since I’ve never seen one like that I’m going to assume his hooves will darken although the vet said they were probably going to stay white. Time will tell! Thank you!
                  We once had a dark brown mare with two white hooves (in front) and one striped hoof behind. One of her front hooves had a few white hairs on the heel, but other than that there was no white anywhere on her legs.

We bred her, she was born that way and remained so until we sold her when she was 5. It always looked very odd to me, I didn't like it at all.
                  www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by LaurieB View Post

We once had a dark brown mare with two white hooves (in front) and one striped hoof behind. One of her front hooves had a few white hairs on the heel, but other than that there was no white anywhere on her legs.

We bred her, she was born that way and remained so until we sold her when she was 5. It always looked very odd to me, I didn't like it at all.
                    That’s what I’m afraid of, but there are 4 and they are attached to my ao hunter lol. The only way I’m going to know for sure is to clip his legs and since it is what it is, I’m not going to do that. He’s a fantastic colt, to me it looks like mostly dark skin underneath but I sprayed my mare’s socks next to him today as well as two other horses of different colors with socks in the barn and they had clearly pink skin. My mare has much much lighter pink skin that barely shows through under her socks body clipped last month and soaking wet. So weird.

The colt is giving me a run for my money as they do at this age... I am just glad his legs are straight!
                    Trinity Farm LLC
                    Like us on Facebook:

Comment

The colt is giving me a run for my money as they do at this age... I am just glad his legs are straight!
                      Amen to that

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

I'm sure he will grow up to be gorgeous.
                        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

I'd like to see him, but no facebook for me.

Comment

• Original Poster

Just a funny update... my farrier came today, and when I asked if he thought his feet would change color he LAUGHED. He thought he probably had anklets... he started to shed last week so the mystery can’t last!
                            Trinity Farm LLC
                            Like us on Facebook:

Comment

. he started to shed last week so the mystery can’t last!
                              I hope we can rely on updates as he changes...

Comment

• Original Poster

Of course! My trainer keeps telling me to just clip him, but I love the suspense lol. He looks so much like a Jupiter colt I had (the real Justice) that it is freaky. The markings are different but everything else is the same... I’m still friends with Jupiter’s breeder and she says he is a complete throwback to grandpa. And she assured me he will settle down, lol. Now he will come to me, but only because he thinks I might be delicious.
                                Trinity Farm LLC
                                Like us on Facebook:

Comment

Working...
                                X