Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

IMG_1001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Hunter/dressage stallions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter/dressage stallions

I’d love to hear about stallions that have been successful in the American hunters AND dressage. I don’t see very many marketed that way, but those are my preferred rings and I am starting to think about beginning to shop for a next horse. I’m curious what registries/lines might fit this odd shaped box. Preferably some tendency toward chrome and not a bay or grey. But of course, movement is more important.

I’m not breeding anything, but I like to learn about what’s out there, and this is a good excuse to look at pretty horses.

R lined horses are pretty well acknowledged as actually being good at both jobs. They don't tend to have the extreme joint articulation that some of the modern dressage lines have, and generally have a great natural balance and rhythm in the gaits. They aren't flashy from a dressage perspective but they are good and correct. They also tend to have a very nice jump. (Rotspon and Redwine are the hunter R stallions but many of the "dressage r" have offspring competing in hunters successfully.)

A less dynastic jumping/dressage line is Contendro (whose sire is a Cor de la Bryere grandson through Calypso II). As this is a specific sire rather than an entire line, there are fewer examples to research but Contendro mares are really well regarded in dressage breeding (the canters are super).

More broad: old G line. Grande is really the progenitor that I'm thinking of but Graf had a few other offspring that I think you can still find extant lines for. They're really well known for jumping (Graf grannus, Graf top, grey top) but Grundstein I+II, Grande grandsons, are both reasonably visible in dressage breeding even now. You are more likely to be successful finding a jumping horse you like that can do dressage in the G line than vice versa-simply more of them jumping, I think.

The Argentan line is harder to find but well known for jumping (Argentinus) and then an Argentinus son, August der Starke, sold for a record breaking price at auction for dressage and his son Augustin was an Olympic horse for dressage. There are a few stallions out there that you can still find Argentinus reasonably recent in (again, almost all jumpers). Solo's Landtinus comes to mind. You can find Argentan/Akzent II in more pedigrees further back but the most likely name if you're looking for it in the first three generations is going to come through Argentinus..and at this point, he's another stallion whose female offspring are really well regarded as broodmares for both jumping and dressage. I see him most often these days as a damsire of stallions if he's close up in the pedigree in any way.
    Last edited by Edre; Jun. 15, 2019, 01:35 AM. Reason: autocorrect fail

Comment

Devon Heir. The hunter people love his babies and they do well in dressage too. I have a homebred 6 year old mare by him and she’s lovely. Very easy to start and a real sweetheart. I’m an eventer and she’s a natural at dressage, but more like a hunter than a jumper in terms of how she jumps. Quiet, rhythmic, pretty.

Comment

Edre is right on.

R-lines are very good dual purpose stallions. I currently have two dressage bred ones that are now successful hunters. They are nice movers, good jumpers, and have fantastic temperaments, as have all the R-lines I've met.

Holsteiners (and most have Cor de la Bryere in there somewhere) are also a good option. Many of them aren't going to win the hack, but have very good jumps with lots of scope) I have a Riverman mare who was a successful dressage horse as a youngster and later was my AO horse.

I think if you're looking for dual purpose stallions, you can also look at USEF Eventing Stallion rankings. Many of those won't have the flat kneed movement that wins in the hunters, but they'll be passing on dressage aptitude as well as good jumps.
        A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Wild Dance produces a very nice jumping style and has offspring as hunters as well as dressage. He was the champion of his stallion test with top dressage scores but also received 9s for jumping. Rubignon had an international dressage career , on the Swedish team but also got 8s and 9s from his Swedish test riders for jumping under saddle and has produced numerous well moving and jumping hunters with superb characters. Donarweiss same thing, Grand Prix dressage career with a junior but likes to jump and in great form, he also produced good hunters as well as GP dressage offspring. www.Eurequine.com
          www.immunallusa.com
          www.Eurequine.com

Comment

Working...
          X