Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

Photo1
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Type differences between NA-bred and European-bred horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type differences between NA-bred and European-bred horses?

This may be a very stupid thing to ask, and I hope that it does not come across as ignorant..

It seems to me that there tend to be distinct "type" differences between North American bred horses and European bred horses, in particular with European bred horses typically looking more sporty and refined compared to NA-bred horses. Am I way off base or crazy for thinking this?
    I've noticed this looking at Warmbloods as well as Iberian horses (Andalusians and Lusitanos) - the horses I see advertised as being bred in Europe typically look lighter, more refined, and sportier.

Not saying it's true for every horse or breeding program or breeder, just an overall observation, and I'm in no way trying to say one is better than the other, just curious about something I personally have noticed, that I may be completely off-base with.

If my thinking isn't insane, then I am curious: with breeding being international nowadays, why is there that type difference?

The WB programs in Europe have higher standards for approval and registration, North America is more of a free for all, and you can find a regsitry for almost any breed or cross breed.

Including draft crosses.

If you wanted to be more analytic about it, maybe have a more systematic look at say North American Oldenburgs versus German Oldenburgs. Something where there's a valid comparison, and you aren't putting someone's homebred Percheron/ OTTB up against a French bred Selle Francais.

As far as breeding being international, well frozen semen can ship at a price. But mares are harder to move around.

I honestly don't know the answer. But my guess is that at the top end there isn't much difference in phenotypes between Europe and NA. And probably top end is all you are seeing of European horses for sale.

The British do like their cobs and heavy hunters.

Comment

A lot of variables here.

I'm going to mostly refer to the Iberian horses. I wouldn't say that they are more sporty and refined here because it depends. How many breeders and sale sites did you look at? Were you specifically looking at Iberians for sport? Or did you also include those aimed at Morphological competition? The ANCCE has certain breed standards, but there can still be some slight variants. Were these North American Iberians registered with a North American registry of sorts? Or ANCCE and APSL? I know there are other Iberian registries, and their standards may be different for both inspection (if there is one) and registration.

I have somewhat limited experience with Iberians in NA but have some connections and have browsed around and I cannot say I notice a huge difference as far as sporty and refinement. However, I do think that some NA registries aren't as stringent as in Europe. This goes for Warmbloods too. But worry not, we have plenty of average and somewhat "fugly" Warmbloods here too.

I think NA does call a lot of horses "Warmbloods" that aren't necessarily Warmbloods.
      ​​​​​​

Comment

With the import of so many mares, stallions and frozen, I'm not seeing much difference in the type for the KWPN horses. NL started more with an older type and working towards refining, where before importing a lot of warmblood mares we had mostly TB to breed too. They seem to be meeting more in the middle these days.
        Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've lived in Germany, but I would say they were about the same in my experience. In fact, in the US, there are a lot more WBs out of TB mares than I ever saw in Germany, and many of them tend to be more refined. I do think you need to look at the market. In the US, we have a huge hunter market, and those horses are often a little heavier, and always a little fatter The purpose bred jumpers on both sides of the Atlantic are going to be 'sportier' and have blood.
          A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

http://elementfarm.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't believe there is a type difference; there might be a slight difference in quality but the type, to my impression, is the same. What kind of WBs are you looking at?

There are different registries, with different requirements. Off the top of my head I wonder if you are looking at "American Warmbloods" or "Canadian Warmbloods" (or even RPSI) which are usually draft x tb/qh/morgan, and comparing them to true WBs like HOL or KPWN?

Then yeah, you'd definitely see a difference... but across the board, if you are comparing US HOL to UK HOL, I find they are very similar in type due to the fact that there is tons of import, both of horseflesh and horse semen, used domestically and internationally.

Most of them share very similar bloodlines; you'll find the same HOL bloodlines in the US that are dominating across the pond.. same goes for almost all of the real WB registries... The difference being that across the pond has a very deep and very solid mare-base, while some US horses come from less strong or less deep lines. This is gradually becoming less and less apparent, due to importing and also due to the fact that the US is starting to develop their own quality mare base.. these things just take time and lots of money.

AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

There are many points about this topic. We can all agree Europe is producing quality horses, but they have more quality horses to work with and a better mare base as was mentioned above. They have been working for decades to create their bloodlines, breeding the qualities they want (either AA or Pro rides, height, temperament) crossing which lines and a closer knowledge and history of the studs and lines. European Breeders have a better access to the stallions as well, we can only breed frozen to the European stallions. It's hard to find a European system in NA that is developing babies. More and more farms are breeding quality prospects in NA, and are able to develop them and sell them as of recent, and those are the farms we need to pay attention to.

If I compare the HV lines, in NA they have more TB in the foals being registered. But there are the popular HV lines (E, G, F, W) while in Europe you see some different crosses there that we won't here. To find a well bred, well built HV mare in NA without being half TB is hard, and when you do they have quite the price tag. KWPN, HOL I find are breeding similar types of horses as in Europe, due to the import of frozen semen.

I think in NA we need to give ourselves time to improve the registries/bloodlines we have now. In addition, we need people breeding to understand what they are breeding for and not breeding mares with poor conformation or poor attitudes/undesirable traits to studs hoping to create a foal with perfect confo/traits because the mare is flashy or cute. Understand the bloodlines and the history before you breed horses because the stud is flashy. Researching lines and watching and seeing offspring is how we can improve the NA quality foals.
              https://grandprixbreeders.squarespace.com/

Comment

Working...
              X