Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

sycamore barn and garage
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Holsteiner Jumper Stallion Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holsteiner Jumper Stallion Advice

I'm thinking of breeding my mare and would love some recommendations for a suitable Holsteiner jumper stallion.

(Side note: Is anyone familiar with Can Can Della Caccia (by Cascari out of a Canturo mare) currently showing with Nayel Nassar?)

Anyway, my mare has a great jump, very careful, showed successfully at 1.45 meter. Refined, but small (15.2 hands), and lots of blood.

Here is her bloodline https://sporthorse-data.com/pedigree/lambada-214

Is there anything else that would be helpful to know?
    Last edited by Kitty90210; May. 24, 2019, 05:04 PM.
  • Original Poster

Here's a video

Comment

No advice but just wanted to say WOW, that is an exceptional mare - lovely and talented and careful and what a FANTASTIC canter

She SO deserves to pass on her genes, and I hope you find the perfect stallion. And also that her offspring inheret her talent and quality no matter who she is bred to.

<3
      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Lovely mare. There are several breeders that occasionally post on these forums that are very knowledgeable about HOL lines and crosses. Hopefully they'll chime in. I would sure want a foal out of this mare. She's spectacular!

Comment

Nice mare. Unless you are specifically wanting Holsteiner for a reason, I'm wondering why you would not search other registries for spectacular stallions. Your mare has very good Holsteiner bloodlines, but they are also common in the breed - she is very similarly bred to my mare. In choosing a stallion, the fit is more important to me....looking for any shortcomings and hoping to correct them, temperament, sizes, way of going etc. It is also a good idea to ask the stallion owner how their stallion has crossed with similar types of mares. I think we would like to follow up on this project of yours.
          Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

Check out Wild Turkey Farm in Oregon. They have several very well bred Holsteiner jumpers. They are very responsive and easy to work with. I bred to the one specifically hunter stallion they had and was extremely pleased. Good luck!

Comment

What a lovely mare! What are your goals with the foal? Resale or for you? Would you like a foal around her size or do you want to add height? What is she like conformationally? Pro ride or amateur friendly? Has she had a foal before? She is 19, do you want to stick with fresh or do you have a great repo vet to try frozen with?

Comment

Nice mare. We have lots of frozen choices from VDL Stud and Navarone fresh. Are you needing fresh or frozen ok. www.majesticgaits.com
                Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                  No advice but just wanted to say WOW, that is an exceptional mare - lovely and talented and careful and what a FANTASTIC canter

She SO deserves to pass on her genes, and I hope you find the perfect stallion. And also that her offspring inheret her talent and quality no matter who she is bred to.

<3
                  Thank you!! That’s very nice of you

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by weixiao View Post
                    What a lovely mare! What are your goals with the foal? Resale or for you? Would you like a foal around her size or do you want to add height? What is she like conformationally? Pro ride or amateur friendly? Has she had a foal before? She is 19, do you want to stick with fresh or do you have a great repo vet to try frozen with?
                    Hi, thanks for the feedback. The foal would be for me, so ideally amateur friendly. I personally love her small size, but not everyone does so a little more size probably wouldn't hurt... Also, I have no idea why the website says she was born in 2000, her passport and everything else says she was born in 2004. And yes, she had a baby sometime before I got her (I’ve had her since 2013).

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                      Nice mare. Unless you are specifically wanting Holsteiner for a reason, I'm wondering why you would not search other registries for spectacular stallions. Your mare has very good Holsteiner bloodlines, but they are also common in the breed - she is very similarly bred to my mare. In choosing a stallion, the fit is more important to me....looking for any shortcomings and hoping to correct them, temperament, sizes, way of going etc. It is also a good idea to ask the stallion owner how their stallion has crossed with similar types of mares. I think we would like to follow up on this project of yours.
                      To be honest–and now that you mention it, it sounds pretty stupid–I just assumed that because she has strong Holsteiner bloodlines I should breed her to a Holsteiner stallion. Ok so would be open to non-Holsteiner jumper stallions as well lol...

Comment

what a nice mare. 15.2 with scope and the canter she has? She must be awesome to ride :-)

There are certainly far more knowledgeable people than I who post here, who can give good advice. But maybe check out New Normandy Farm’s line up. Ulmar Mail in particular is lovely.

Comment

She is too small... send her to me

Kidding aside, lovely mare, love her jump and canter, and to someone like me, her height is a bonus!

It's amusing to me, because when you look at her pedigree and see how heavily linebred CdB is, you can really see his influence (IMHO)... but finding a stallion that is not linebred to him standing today, is very hard!

I agree with the poster that asked why HOL -- only because, your mare has very "common" HOL breeding in the sense that the best stallions at the moment, are very similarly bred to her. Most of the HOL stallions I would suggest right now are out the window because of that.

Navarone's owner posted above. I am local to him, and have seen some really nice horses by him. He would not add much height to my knowledge, and the kids I have seen by him have lovely temperaments. None were very tall.

I love Landgraf I... but I have been told you do not double up on him if your mare does not have good hind end angles, which eliminates a few stallions I would have suggested right off the bat. However, Landgraf blood is always complemented by Grannus which makes me think For Pleasure or someone similar.

One of my favorite HOL stallions at the moment is Quite Easy.. another Landgraf on bottom side.. But he is proven to nick well with C-line mares (in my limited experience).

I'd be curious to see what the experienced breeders say. She is lovely and I look forward to seeing who you pick!
                          AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Hillside Ranch has a lovely foal by a stallion from Sapphire's family. https://www.vdlstud.com/en/paarden/G...de-Rve-x-Darco . Some young Sapphire sons are also standing - fresh collections-- at BlueChip Bloodstock https://www.barnlog.com/bluechip/ ....Have fun!

Comment

If you don't mind one that could stay a bit small, what about Toulon? He is approved Holsteiner, seems to have quite a few offspring competing in the child/adult and jr/ao classes very successfully as well as some jumping big classes with the pros. I've heard that some of his can be quite small, even though he himself isn't, but if that isn't a concern for you he might be an option.

Comment

Quite Easy can make them very small, I have one and have used him a number of times. So if you don't want your mare to to be small I wouldn't use him. I would have concern with Can Can. His Sire, Cascari was a big stallion with tons of frame and movement. I saw him get approved before he went down to Italy. However, the Mother of Can Can is out of a 15.2hh mare, and I am sure that Canturo didin't make it her bigger. Not knowing how he will breed I would caution this adding leg to your mare if this is what you want. She is nice though and I see some nice Limbus influence in your mare. Best of luck.

Tim
                                Sparling Rock
                                www.sparlingrock.com

Comment

Originally posted by RyTimMick View Post
                                  Quite Easy can make them very small, I have one and have used him a number of times. So if you don't want your mare to to be small I wouldn't use him. I would have concern with Can Can. His Sire, Cascari was a big stallion with tons of frame and movement. I saw him get approved before he went down to Italy. However, the Mother of Can Can is out of a 15.2hh mare, and I am sure that Canturo didin't make it her bigger. Not knowing how he will breed I would caution this adding leg to your mare if this is what you want. She is nice though and I see some nice Limbus influence in your mare. Best of luck.

Tim
                                  So who would you suggest for her if she were in your barn?

Comment

Hi Bewulf,

I don't like making breeding suggestions for mares I don't know, so I can't make one here. If the owner asked for a stallion that commonly does A, B, or C I can suggestion stallions I know that often do that often. Or, I can warn against stallions that might create a problem.

Tim
                                    Sparling Rock
                                    www.sparlingrock.com

Comment

That's perfectly rational RyTimMick. Thanks!

Comment

Couple more ideas-

Catoki - there was a thread on him recently you could check out but he seems to be producing some amateur friendly types that have good jumps and I've liked what I've seen from him.

Diamant d'Semilly - he seems to suit small, modern mares with some blood. Can't argue with his ability to produce, and going onto horse telex it seems that he has crossed with mares by the same stallion as your mare with some nice success. I also found a video of a DdS x Limotas horse from a few years ago that was likable. I found one mare by the same stallion as your mare who was bred to him 2x, one is a '11 gelding jumping 1.30 according to horse telex and the other is a 6 year old. She also seems to have been bred to Cornet Obolensky, but my understanding is that he is a bit polarizing and maybe not a choice for an amateur friendly foal.

GK Calucci at Hilltop - he himself had success with pros and amateurs. Looks like he is available cooled, which might be a nice option rather than having to use frozen since she isn't young. Hilltop says that he adds a bit of size and does well with refined, blood type mares. His oldest offspring are just starting under saddle though, so depending how soon you want to breed you may not have much to see yet. I'm sure if you contact Hilltop they could give you some info on what is out there, they have two listed for sale on their website right now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X