Sport Horse Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

Driveway

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Happy New Year! Let's See Those Newly-Turned Yearlings!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy New Year! Let's See Those Newly-Turned Yearlings!

I didn't want to keep bumping up the "foals of 2018" thread indefinitely. Instead, I thought it was time for a new one. How are your now-yearlings coming along? My girl is only 8.5 months old (mid April baby). She's about 12 hands tall and right at 500 pounds. She continues to amaze me with her fantastic mind and laid-back personality! It's been raining non-stop for what seems like forever now, so I didn't take a photo this morning. But this one was taken Christmas Day - close enough, right? Please excuse her half-clipped face; she managed to whack her face/forehead on a piece of wood about a month ago and needed 8 staples. Luckily, it's healed fantastically; I'd have hated it if her beautiful face had been permanently marred.
  • Original Poster

I know that yearlings tend to be in weird growth spurts, but I can't believe no one wants to respond to this! To keep the topic going, here's a "Facebook Live" video of my girl getting her first real bath this afternoon: https://www.facebook.com/grey.parks/...70275038/?t=10.

I really hope that link works!

Even if your yearlings aren't necessarily photogenic at this point, what are you doing with them right now? Any updates at all??

Comment

I missed this topic the first time around. My TB yearling colt, Miso, is now a gelding, as of two days ago. I'm ponying him every day to be sure be gets enough exercise for drainage. So far, so good. Miso ponies really well off my giant 17.1 OTTB, I take him on trails in the woods and tromp through puddles.

Miso is stalled next to his sire, and they've turned into good buddies. They share a fence line (runout paddocks behind stalls, opens up into bigger fields) and enjoy napping side by side, or playing mild biteyface games. Miso frequently leaves his pasturemates to hang out with Dad, despite the fence between them.

Photo taken Dec 26th. Miso measures 14.3 at wither, 15h behind, about 850lbs according to vet. Will be 12 months on Feb 21.
      ????
      A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.
      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

Currently, mine is a woolly yak for which I am eternally grateful, given last week's temperature (with windchill) of -55*. We are also discovering how many different ways she can grow (grow out then up, grow up behind then catch up in front, seem level then JK!) so I have a different horse every time I look at her, apparently. Surprise!

Lots of leading in hand/handling stuff. We take walks all around the property and get to supervise all sorts of fun things (heavy machinery, grading the driveway, pulling up concrete blocks with a tractor, neighbors' snowmobiling/ATV/shooting antics). Prior to ice, we were juust working on trotting in hand but that's taken a backseat until we get some more reliable footing.

I think our next trick will be introducing leg coverings (boots? wraps? we'll see which is more convenient..) and clippers.

Comment

• Original Poster

EventerAJ, Miso is a solid 6 inches taller than my girl, so good for you! I'm sure he's enjoying his adventures while being ponied.

Edre, your handling procedures sound very similar to mine. Sydney has an in-hand show in about six weeks, but, otherwise, we're basically on the same schedule.

Comment

Seven month old filly. 14.1h. She is a registered Anglo Arabian (75% Thoroughbred) in her winter woollies.
            SIGNIFIED (Signal Bey++++// x Paint The Dancer)
            The Inverted Y
            Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
            2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
            www.allanglos.net

Comment

I cannot tell what my two fillys look like. Best description "Yacks covered in mud"--we have 2 feet of frozen show and they won't even bother to roll to let me see what color they are --LOL

Comment

Miso was a demo horse today at the USEA FEH seminar. He was pretty well behaved for his first time off the farm. I received some nice compliments and feedback, and I'm considering taking him to some actual FEH competitions later this year.

?https://youtu.be/78BIqLppoHY
                Last edited by EventerAJ; Feb. 22, 2019, 10:28 AM. Reason: Fixed link
                ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

My warmblood (Hanoverian and Oldenburg lines) colt is a year in May. He was 14.3 hands when I measure him last which was at least a month ago. He is going through a super ugly stage and I try not to take any pictures besides head shots right now lol!! It's winter here and we have snow so he is also a hairy beast!

Im wondering what all your babies heights are? I'm hoping he is not going to be a giant!

Comment

• Original Poster

EventerAJ, congrats on a successful first outing! I wasn't able to get your video link to work, though. :/

Banditbear, my girl is just shy of 12.1 hands at 10 months old, but both of her parents are in the 14 hand range. I expect she's going to mature somewhere around the 14.2 mark, give or take. Your guy sounds like he's going to be a big boy!

Comment

Fixed the link, I hope. https://youtu.be/78BIqLppoHY

At exactly 12 months, Miso is about 151cm, or 14.3 and a half. I expect him to mature to a solid 16.2, maybe more. Dam is 16.1, sire is 16.2 rounding up.

After gelding (for forced exercise and to prep for FEH) I've been ponying Miso every day for the past 3 weeks. Much of the time I've used my stallion as the pony horse...there's nothing cooler than riding the sire and leading his colt, looking out over a matching set of ears together jogging down the trails.
                      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

• Original Poster

Awe, he was REALLY good! And I love your ponying video; I wish I had a reliable pony horse available. My girl has a busy, busy mind. She's learned to walk and trot in hand, stands tied for grooming and bathing, got body clipped for the first time without too much drama, and is starting to learn the mechanics of longing (w/t for no more than 2-3 minutes at a time). She's picking everything up super quickly, but she's also ALWAYS into something. This morning, I couldn't find her when I arrived at the barn to feed. I walked around the corner and found this (hopefully the video link works - it's set to "public")...

https://www.facebook.com/grey.parks/...01568923676698

Sigh. She figured out that she can squeeze between the side of the hay shed and the fence - the opening is only wide enough for me to fit through if I turn sideways, and I weigh 137 pounds! We keep the horses out of this area because there's some exposed metal we don't want them near. Notice that, while she wanted out, she wasn't at all worried about her predicament. I made a makeshift barrier to (hopefully) stop her from doing that again until we have time to figure out the best way to permanently block the gap off.

She has also pulled the caps off of almost all the t-posts in the pasture and has pulled down/destroyed three fly traps. I think she needs a job as soon as realistically possible! Life is never dull with her around.

Comment

• Original Poster

My baby girl suddenly doesn't look like a baby any more! I took this photo on Sunday morning - it's the first one in which I've been able to do her beautiful head justice. We're about two weeks out from her first show now. Eek! Her coat is coming in darker than I expected after being body clipped; I'm hopeful that will continue to be the case. The weather here has been crazy - 75 degrees on Sunday with an EF-4 tornado only 10 miles away and now 27 degrees and sleeting. Luckily, Sydney really likes her "clothes".

Comment

• Original Poster

Sydney went to her first horse show this week. She has been such a trooper! She was super nervous the first day/night but settled in after that. We showed in a "main ring" halter class on Friday and Sport Horse in Hand Hunter Type yesterday. There were saddleseat horses warming up in the arena adjacent to her SHIH show ring, so she was not at all interested in standing for inspection. Sigh. But she did great once we started walking and trotting the triangle. I'm so proud of her! She's definitely going to be happy to get home tonight; we've been here since Tuesday.

Comment

These are my two yearling colts. The black is called Night's Watch (Kannan x Cantos x Indorado), he turned one at the beginning of March. The bay is Neilan (Tangelo van de Zuuthoeve x Cassini I x Caretino), he will turn one in the middle of June. Both are just living out in the fields with 12 other colts.
                              Alison/Mikali Farms
                              www.mikalifarms.com

Comment

Here is my little Duke as a yearling last year! He's about 15hh then and has since grown about a hand and about 2 yak's worth of hair. Not 2018's baby, but I wanted to join in the share!!

Comment

So proud of my colt Miso! I showed him at the Ocala YEH/FEH in the yearling class yesterday, and he qualified for championships with a score of 84.375. Highest score of the day, and he earned 9s for his walk and general impression, plus 8.75 for type. He was pretty well behaved and I really value the feedback.

Can't wait to see how he continues to grow and develop over the year.

Scores: https://flhorsepark.com/feh-yeh/
                                  Last edited by EventerAJ; Mar. 28, 2019, 06:46 PM.
                                  ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

• Original Poster

Summer update time!

My girl continues to amaze me by avoiding the yearling awkwardness I anticipated. Yes, she's longer than she is tall (but she's reining bred, so she may never grow out of that!), and she's a bit downhill - though not as much as she looks in the photo, because she was standing on a slope - but the neck fairy has continued to bless us, and she has never lost her "pretty", thankfully. She's also still the BEST minded baby I've ever been around. She is SO ridiculously smart and WANTS a job badly. I thought I'd challenge her with a "walk over the tarp" day - in less than 10 minutes, she was trotting back and forth over it and dragging it, just like she'd done it her whole life.

Tomorrow she'll wear a bit for the first time. I'm hoping to start working on ground driving her - at a walk only - in the next month or so. I've also been working with her on standing at the mounting block patiently, as that's a skill my last horse never learned. She's such a gem.

How is everyone else doing with their yearlings/yacklings?

Comment

Aww, she's so pretty! Very typey and refined. Mine is going through the expected awkward stages, but not bad enough to hide behind the barn. Yet. He's fairly large (nearly 15.1, big bodied) and has been mistaken for a 2yo a few times. I wish the neck fairy would visit!

I groom him once a week in crossties, and pony him occasionally just to have something to do. He's worn a snaffle headstall a couple times with no fussing. Around August I'll probably start ground driving him a few days a week, and more ponying to get him "fit" for FEH championships in September.
                                      ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Comment

• Original Poster

Awe. And you were worried about his head. He looks very grown up and noble! My girl probably won't be 15.1 when full grown - she's 12.3 at the withers and 13.1 at the hip right now. We're just hoping for "not a pony" at this point! Lol.

Comment

Working...
                                        X