• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sciatica

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatica

I am currently dealing with a lot of pain from sciatica on my left side. When my doctor diagnosed me with it, the pain was manageable, so he just told me to "take it easy" and let it at that. But for the last week or so the pain has gotten very bad. It wakes me up at night, and I'm in almost constant pain no matter what I"m doing.

A little back story - I've had this sciatica since the end of October, so about 5 and a half months now. At first, I tried to strike a balance between staying active, but not over-doing it. After trying to do that for a while, I thought perhaps it would go away faster if I just don't work out. I was never given any rehab exercises/stretches to do, so I just stopped working out, but continued to ride and do barn work, because that's a huge part of my life.

Now, after about a month or 2 of not working out, I'm feeling this extreme pain. I don't know if this is normal or not. I had a friend tell me he's heard this type of thing hurts more when it's in the healing phase, so he thinks this is a good thing. But I'm wondering if I should go see my doctor again.

This is especially concerning to me, because for the first time since I've had it, it affected my riding during my lesson this past weekend. I never had it hurt while in the saddle before. But now it's gotten to that point, and I don't know what to do to fix this so I can continue to grow in my riding pursuits without having to worry about the sciatica pain.

*Any* advice, words of wisdom, or suggestions would be much appreciated - I'm just becoming so drained from the lack of sleep and constant pain that I'm not sure what to do with myself.
    Last edited by ClassyRide; Apr. 9, 2010, 09:48 AM.
    ~*~*~*~Founding member of the Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique~*~*~*~

The equine love of my life: Gabriel
    4/6/1993 - 8/23/2015 ...RIP my big, beautiful boy <3

Just my 2 sense!

Please search & read all the threads on back pain, herniated discs, epidural injections etc. both here and on Off Course.

Sciatica is the radiating pain (pain going down your leg/butt) caused by an irritated/inflamed nerve. It causes strong muscle spasms & pain. It's caused by nerve irritation at the site on your spine where the nerve leaves the spinal canal. The most common cause is a herniated disc. You need to be evaluated for a possible disc or the cause. Get thee to an orthopedist.

Until then; take nsaids around the clock, ice your lower back, stop lifting, stop riding....for now. You could be causing more damage. Damaged nerves don't always repair.....

Stop anything that causes concussion to your spine until your symptoms resolve. No sitting trots, jumping. Wear good sneakers to absorb shock when walking. Avoid sitting long periods.

MANY of us have been there and done this....best wishes on a quick recovery. We KNOW how it feels and it is terrible. GitRDone!!

Comment

definitely need to find out what is causing the sciatica. Mine is helped greatly by visiting the chiropractor.
      "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Comment

If you take nsaids, also take tums to coat your tummy. Make your dr. write you a scrip for physical therapy, and get or re-learn core strengthening exercises. There are many websites that list pretty standard sciatica stretches. First though, you need to be evaluated, like WG said, as to what the cause is.

My doctor too pretty much blew me off as "oh this is sciatica" and sent me home early on in my own plight. He was deaf to me telling him how debilitating the pain was, that it was so bad I saw stars etc. This was my cue, after 30 years of seeing him, to finally go find someone else who dug deep and found 4 bulging discs. So, get to the bottom of this as soon as you can, then stick to your exercises every day! Good luck!

Comment

Mine is helped greatly by five minutes on an inversion table.
          "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

I've been blessed that mine doesn't hurt riding, but I believe it to be one of the sources of my stiffness in the saddle as I am still protecting myself. I find stretches help and avoiding certain methods of lifting altogether.

In your case I would get back to the doctor - having enough pain to not be able to sleep will have such a negative effect on your quality of life, and does seem to be one of the things that a doctor will pay attention to.
            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
            Incredible Invisible

Comment

what helped me

I saw a chiropractor who was an active muscle release practitioner. The work was painful (I called her office Nancy's House of Pain), but the pain went away.

a pox on doctors who don't dig into pain to help.
              A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I thought I had sciatica and on a hunch, my doctor ordered xrays of my hip. Turns out, I had severe arthristis in my hip with bone spurs. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon who did arthropscopic surgery on my hip to shave the bone spurs and repair a torn labrum.

My remaining pain is due to the arthritis, which I must live with until I have my hip replaced. I have a prescription for Celebrex which helps me ride.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Sciatica can also be caused by a very tight piriformis muscle if the sciatic nerve happens to run through that muscle.

Chiropractic helps.
                  Massage helps.
                  Acupuncture helps.
                  Correct use of the body (back, core, legs, etc.) helps. This means PT, Pilates, yoga, etc. Not just working out.

Core stability is the most important, not core strength. There is a difference between the two and completely different approaches to each.

Core stability work is low load, low number of reps - Pilates.
                  Core strength work is high load, high number of reps - typical weight lifting mode.

I got over my sciatica by increasing the curvature of my lower back. I used a rolled foam in a tube tied around my waist to help me assume that position.
                  Laurie Higgins
                  www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow - all wonderful replies here. Thank you all so very much for the words of wisdom.

I've decided based on your suggestions to stop doing *any* activity (including riding) until I can get into my dr's office to at least have a good look-over and try to ID what's causing the sciatica. I'll proceed from there once I know what I can safely get back to doing.

I've been looking for an excuse to go to the chiro and get a massage anyhow, so maybe this can be my excuse.

In the meantime, I got some aspirin, have Tums, and will be using an ice pack on my back in the evenings. I'm trying to sit and stand as straight as I can (although I want so badly to compensate that it's very difficult), and will do stretching every chance I get when it starts to feel tight/sore.

Ugh - I have so much pain right now that I feel half sick to my stomach. But, now I know that I'm certainly not alone in this. Thank you all so very, very much for giving me some direction to work toward! And I'll keep you all posted as I get answers.

Comment

My sciatica was caused by bone spurs at the L4-L5 level pressing on the nerve. The pain was incredible - comparable to childbirth. I had a neurosurgeon remove the spur on one side (the first one to give me trouble) and a couple years later had pain on the other side from another bone spur and had to have another surgery and a spinal fusion since my spine had shifted some (when they remove the spurs it weakens the structure and you can get spinal collapse). I still ride (but lightly - mostly trail) and live on Celebrex. But at least the sciatica is gone! My advice would be to get thee to a good neurologist or orthopedist and get a diagnosis. Then you will be armed to figure out how to best treat it. Hope you are over the sciatica soon.

Comment

I would definitely see an MD. Chiropractors are fine but you need to know what is up (you could have a compression fracture, a disc issue, arthritis, who knows what) first and foremost.

I have a disc herniation (L4/L5) which is not all that bad 3-4 cm but it has caused me terrible sciatic pain. I tried everything (chiro, PT, acupuncture, the alexander technique, myofacial therapy, rolfing) before I finally broke down and got an epidural. For me that was the thing that allowed me to move on with me life. Riding actually helps my back. If I don't ride, I actually start having sciatica. Go figure.

Good luck.

Comment

I have sciatica problems also, all I know is that my doctor injected something in the most painful area and it feels so much better.

Comment

P.t. and neuro-surgeon, please!

Please see a neuro-spinal surgeon.

I went through 3 primary doctors, who thought I was just whining and doing the reflexes as well as could be expected for a "normal lady of my age". I finally found a physical therapist who actually listened and evaluated. She has advanced certification in neurology and orthopedics. She also is a very competent rider.

I had mulitple compression fractures in multiple vertebrae, some placed in novel locations and nerve and disc damage. Then there were the hyper-extended ligaments that held my pelvis and back together. I have not had surgery, I found a stem cell guru and regenerated my back. I am doing well, so there is hope!
                            Intermediate Riding Skills

Comment

I Second the PT motion! I had sciatica when I had lymes- muscle relaxers + physical therapy made a HUGE difference.
                              Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

The orthopedist wanted to cut but the chiro, massage therapist and pain management center have kept me riding for about 3 years since that day. Don't believe the first opinion(s)!
                                http://TouchstoneAcres.com
                                Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow - thank you all for such amazing advice - it's wonderful to have knowledgable folks to get info from!

Do you all want to hear the weirdest story about this? I went to the stable on Saturday just to see my horses (no riding because I don't know what's causing the issues). While leading my greenie mare, she got strong and started prancing/pulling a bit on the line. I thought, "Oh, great - this is the last thing I need right now."

I lead her to the barn, giving her tugs every now and again to get her to stay with me, and taking good sized strides to keep up with her. By the time I get to the barn, I realize... "Holy s@*t! The mare fixed me!!!"

My sciatica isn't completely gone - but it's how it was *before* this recent flare-up - it's quite manageable and only somewhat tight and sore. How odd is that? It makes me think I had a vertebrae or two that were just slightly out of whack, and the yanking pulled them back into place.

Based on that, I'm thinking maybe I should just call a chiro and massage therapist and go that route. Although, it would probably be a good idea for me to still see an MD and/or Ortho... My wallet doesn't know how much it can take. But because it's my health, I'm going to have to suck it up.

Comment

RN weighs in again!

Think you had a good stretching experience!!
                                    Muscles being stretched have difficulty spasming and causing pain so often gentle, steady, repetitive stretching or muscle movements can stop spasms (hence pain lessens). Keep moving, gently!

And yes, I found a nice walk on a horse loosens my pelvis & lower back and stops spasms for awhile. Get your pelvis pumping & rocking with the walk stride. Bend forward some. Ride short or in 2 point. Every so often stop and bend over onto your horses neck. Touch your chin to his neck. Bring your knees up to your chest. No reason you can't stretch or exercise on the back of a horse. NEVER BEND backwards. Rarely helps and can hinder.

Also when sitting/driving; put a small pillow in the hollow of your back. Also when typing on your keyboard to Coth!!

And I'm not high on chiropractors for backs with true pathology. You can pay your hubby or boyfriend to do a back massage for "free" ya know!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Quite right, Wateryglen! I do believe I'll take your advice.

From everything I've been reading/hearing, I believe I may have caused the flare from my *inactivity* - thinking perhaps sitting and resting would help it heal faster. But, in actuality, it made it tighten and spasm!

Back to gentle work and stretching - keeping with the NSAIDs, and ice at night. And I do believe I can find something to support my back when sitting/driving.

Oh, and my sweet BF has already been doing a little bit of massage here and there for me - I'll have to tell him that a lovely RN from COTH "prescribed" me regular back rubs from him. lol He'll be happy to do it, I'm sure.

Comment

just my 2 sense!

Woops! I can't "prescribe"!! Only tell you....that from my experience.....in my humble opinion.....that SO's doing back massages are a good thing. But of course, the golden rule is....if it hurts=don't do it!!! If it helps, do it!

Believe it or not; there's an art & science to massage. Different kinds for different boo-boos!!! As spasming muscle should not be roughly handled! Gentle, slow is best. Even a steady firm pressure with the palm of a hand over the back/butt muscle can ease a spasm. Press & release slowly. Repeat, press/hold for 5 seconds(or as long as you like) and slowly ease off. Repeat.

Hi, I'm Wateryglen....and I'm a Massage-a-holic.......

Comment

Working...
                                        X